HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu (Returning To Lineup 3/22)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
  #301
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!
 
ShutDownDefense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Even with Koivu back, we'll still drop games at an alarming rate. Guess we'll see.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
  #302
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 16,771
vCash: 1000
Here comes the part where we lose our lottery pick. *sigh*

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
  #303
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Location: Location.
Country: United States
Posts: 33,820
vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Here comes the part where we lose our lottery pick. *sigh*
This.

Incoming meaningless wins that **** our hard fought draft position.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:15 PM
  #304
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 10,817
vCash: 500
Calgary
Buffalo
Washington
NYR
Florida
LA
Chicago x2
Nashville
Phoenix

Every single one of these teams have something to play for; doesn't exactly look like the makings of a season-ending winning streak.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:19 PM
  #305
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Location: Location.
Country: United States
Posts: 33,820
vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Calgary
Buffalo
Washington
NYR
Florida
LA
Chicago x2
Nashville
Phoenix

Every single one of these teams have something to play for; doesn't exactly look like the makings of a season-ending winning streak.
I hope so.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:51 PM
  #306
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Here comes the part where we lose our lottery pick. *sigh*
Nah. When Koivu came back earlier, we didn't exactly go on a tear.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:53 PM
  #307
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Location: Location.
Country: United States
Posts: 33,820
vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
Nah. When Koivu came back earlier, we didn't exactly go on a tear.
The games werent meaningless then. The Wild only put it in gear once the games are meaningless and winning costs them draft position.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:54 PM
  #308
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,601
vCash: 500
Yep, no more high draft pick. Bye-bye Grigorenko or Dumba, we could've really used one of you guys.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
  #309
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
The games werent meaningless then. The Wild only put it in gear once the games are meaningless and winning costs them draft position.
.................................................. ...........................you have a point............................................. .............



Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:06 PM
  #310
OpRedDawn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,129
vCash: 500
omg..........

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:24 PM
  #311
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 12,117
vCash: 500
Many people claim Koivu isn't that good anyway, so what are you guys worrying about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
I don't know about pointless. It's a good thing for Koivu to regain confidence in his shoulder now so he's able to push it hard this off-season for a better 12-13 season.

I still hope we keep him out of international play this offseason... I know it's a huge deal to him, and his fans in Finland, but with the investment the wild have in Koivu I don't believe it's in their best interest to allow him to play.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Wild can keep him out of it if they wanted to.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:13 PM
  #312
Al Lagoon
Registered User
 
Al Lagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,062
vCash: 250
Yeah Koivu sucks - yet somehow, he's still 3rd on the team in points. If he sucks, what does that make Cullen, who STILL has fewer points in 26 more games

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
  #313
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 12,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Yeah Koivu sucks - yet somehow, he's still 3rd on the team in points. If he sucks, what does that make Cullen, who STILL has fewer points in 26 more games
For the record, I don't think he sucks.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:21 PM
  #314
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
For the record, I don't think he sucks.
But you are always a voice of reason here. No surprise.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:10 PM
  #315
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 12,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
But you are always a voice of reason here. No surprise.
Always the voice of reason? Huh? Regarding Koivu or the team in general? Either way, if that's the case, then this place is in serious trouble. Very far from it.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:00 AM
  #316
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Many people claim Koivu isn't that good anyway, so what are you guys worrying about?


I could be wrong, but I don't think the Wild can keep him out of it if they wanted to.
Well, the Wild could provide a more stringent standard to their doctors in regards to what is considered "medically cleared." Provided there's still some legitimate medical concern about his shoulder, they wouldn't clear him to play, and therefore he couldn't play.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:21 AM
  #317
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,433
vCash: 500
Koivu doesn't suck, but he is a little overrated. I'm not a fan of his game the last couple years.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:21 AM
  #318
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 10,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I wouldn't say going to OT three games in a row is "no show". More like Koivu, Seto, and EC decided to start playing hockey.
You're honestly going to keep throwing Koivu into that ****?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
  #319
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
You're honestly going to keep throwing Koivu into that ****?
Am I the only one who saw night and day between Mikko earlier this year and last night? He was a beast last night, even against a fast run and gun team. I don't know why he goes on these extended lackadaisical slumps, but when he wakes up it's great to watch.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:56 PM
  #320
Ovechkid08
Registered User
 
Ovechkid08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Am I the only one who saw night and day between Mikko earlier this year and last night? He was a beast last night, even against a fast run and gun team. I don't know why he goes on these extended lackadaisical slumps, but when he wakes up it's great to watch.
I disagree with your assessment completely. Koivu made it clear throughout the entire season that he was our best player, and carried us to so many of our wins earlier in the season. I'm pretty sure he has never taken a night off on this team, some nights he doesn't dominate the offensive zone but he is still always making the right passes and staying in a good defensive position, something he has had to do from Seto's turnovers. It took him Heatley and Seto a month to get really used to each other and they still don't have the best chemistry, but Koivu was scoring at 1.2 PPG over a 25 game stretch, way more offense than we have ever seen from him. Outside of the the injury and re-injury, he has been great all year and consistently dominant with the puck on his stick.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:00 PM
  #321
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,433
vCash: 500
The big things I saw from Koivu last night that I didn't much of the year was him driving to the net and taking GREAT shots (seriously that snapper that hit the bar where Emery ducked looked like it would have killed him if it hit his head), giving and taking hits to make plays, and having better patience with the puck deep in the zone.

Now I'm not saying Koivu's a bad player when he's not "beast mode" Koivu. He's like a 65-70 point guy, great passer, nice shot. But when he turns it on he's a 90-100 point type player.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
  #322
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The big things I saw from Koivu last night that I didn't much of the year was him driving to the net and taking GREAT shots (seriously that snapper that hit the bar where Emery ducked looked like it would have killed him if it hit his head), giving and taking hits to make plays, and having better patience with the puck deep in the zone.

Now I'm not saying Koivu's a bad player when he's not "beast mode" Koivu. He's like a 65-70 point guy, great passer, nice shot. But when he turns it on he's a 90-100 point type player.
I agree with you. While I do think Koivu has been pretty good during most of the games he has played, he has had a few games where he goes up even another notch, and boy when he does that.... It is too bad he doesn't get royally pissed more often because he can be truly dominant.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:34 PM
  #323
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech in Hockey View Post
I agree with you. While I do think Koivu has been pretty good during most of the games he has played, he has had a few games where he goes up even another notch, and boy when he does that.... It is too bad he doesn't get royally pissed more often because he can be truly dominant.
We're paying him to be that type of player. It's really unnerving to see him so...lazy on the ice.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
  #324
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,433
vCash: 500
I'm hoping if/when the Wild gets some good players and/or can stay healthy enough that there's competition for ice time, Mikko raises his game up to that level for extended periods.

He did that for a stretch before Kesler snapped his leg and he did that for a stretch the year after as well. He seems to come back from injuries and just go nuts and then get tired or something. Maybe it's conditioning.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:46 PM
  #325
Ovechkid08
Registered User
 
Ovechkid08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm hoping if/when the Wild gets some good players and/or can stay healthy enough that there's competition for ice time, Mikko raises his game up to that level for extended periods.

He did that for a stretch before Kesler snapped his leg and he did that for a stretch the year after as well. He seems to come back from injuries and just go nuts and then get tired or something. Maybe it's conditioning.
You guys realize that Koivu is always going to be an elite defending forward first and foremost, he spends a majority of his energy every shift shutting the opposition down, and he has done that his entire career. He is skilled enough to pull off some scary fun offense but for the most part we only ever see that at the ends of games when he is just burning everything he has left in the tank. Expecting a guy to be that dominant all game while playing stellar D as well is hilariously impossible over an 82 game stretch. Lazy player and poorly conditioned? LOL


Last edited by Ovechkid08: 04-02-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.