Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Koivu (Returning To Lineup 3/22)

Old
02-22-2012, 06:04 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 50
9 times out of 10, Koivu talks to Russo. Zanon was the one who refused to talk.

People (myself sometimes included) get upset at the quotes he gives Russo, yet now some are upset because he apparently doesn't talk to the guy at all? Again, damned if you do...damned if you don't.

We rag on him for not talking, and then for saying the wrong things (by not accepting responsibility for his poor play.) I guarantee you if he DID say that he didn't do his job..if he did jump on the sword, folks would respond with, "Yeah, we know you suck. Thanks for the update stupid! What kind of leader tears his team down and admits his weaknesses to the media? What kind of message will that send to your teammates? Shut up and do something!"

Last edited by NHL1674: 02-22-2012 at 06:11 PM.
NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:37 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

The thing with Russo is that he could have actually talked to Koivu and knows what is going on, won't publish it for whatever reason (keeping his relationship with the Wild healthy most likely), but has to answer the questions from fans somehow. A little lie works best for everyone in this situation. The moment Russo starts publishing everything he knows is the moment you know he has another job lined up. He still has to act like he'll tell all though.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Did Russo say anything in his live chat today? Anyone have the transcript from that?

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 300
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/139873333.html

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:58 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Not sure why Russo's so adamant that the team won't sign Gui. How the hell can you justify not qualifying a 25-goal scoring power forward RFA with the amount of cap space this team has? He's shown he can score boatloads; he's shown that he's practically the only person on this team who will go to the front of the net; he's shown that he can work hard, stay in game shape, and maintain a good attitude. All he hasn't shown is that he can play after getting ****ing boarded from behind.

Not only would it be idiotic to throw away an RFA of his calibre, but it would be sending a horrible message to the rest of the team about what kind of qualities they reward.

llamapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I dunno. He's not exactly an asset you throw away. I wonder if it's a Leipold cash issue. Or potentially a "waste" of a roster spot. Maybe he can't be insured and Leipold eats all that cash. And with Bouchard under contract and likely done, it's hard to justify two concussed players sitting on the shelf eating up $6.5m.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:17 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Not sure why Russo's so adamant that the team won't sign Gui. How the hell can you justify not qualifying a 25-goal scoring power forward RFA with the amount of cap space this team has? He's shown he can score boatloads; he's shown that he's practically the only person on this team who will go to the front of the net; he's shown that he can work hard, stay in game shape, and maintain a good attitude. All he hasn't shown is that he can play after getting ****ing boarded from behind.

Not only would it be idiotic to throw away an RFA of his calibre, but it would be sending a horrible message to the rest of the team about what kind of qualities they reward.
he's not the only guy who will go to the front of the net but he's the only guy who will go there and has a reasonable chance of scoring. More about going into the season knowing who is going to play and planning accordingly, I think. Can't count on Gui playing most of a season (regardless of fault) and that $2.5 million doesn't seem like a big deal because it isn't yours. I can't imagine an owner would be crazy about having that sit on the bench. It's a gamble.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:19 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i think you can only fully insure the top 4 salaries on your roster? Backstrom Koivu Heatley bouchard?
anyway, there are plenty with higher hits.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:27 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I didn't get the impression Minnesota didn't want to bring him back but they also didn't want to qualify him at that much money. Maybe 1-2 million next year to prove himself and then if he stays healthy, make more money?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Unless his salary would keep us from doing something bigger (and I think you all know what I mean), I don't understand not taking a 1 year flier an him.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

I'd be willing to take him back at $1.5 but you let him go unrestricted and you'll probably end up losing him anyway. He's no Veillieux. I don't know if anyone will give him $2.5m but he can pick where he wants to go for less than that. NYR for $1m or here for $1.5m?

Old
02-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sure, but they'd be bidding against 29 other teams as he'd be an UFA.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:35 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Unless his salary would keep us from doing something bigger (and I think you all know what I mean), I don't understand not taking a 1 year flier an him.
the team is operating at a loss right now. It's not your $2.5 in the crapper so i can see where you might not understand why not and signing him for $2.5 isn't at all like overpaying a guy like Suter in the "opening the checkbook" kind of ownership. or overpaying anyone else who has a better-than-latendresse chance of playing a full year.

like i said, i would like to see him back, but with Bouchard already on the books that's too much money in oft-broken players.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
the team is operating at a loss right now. It's not your $2.5 in the crapper so i can see where you might not understand why not and signing him for $2.5 isn't at all like overpaying a guy like Suter in the "opening the checkbook" kind of ownership. or overpaying anyone else who has a better-than-latendresse chance of playing a full year.

like i said, i would like to see him back, but with Bouchard already on the books that's too much money in oft-broken players.
I understand, however being a fan, I would like to think that if I had the cash to own an NHL team I'd lean more favorably towards winning vs. money. But maybe that's just blind idealism.

You just said Bouchard was insured, so that wouldn't have any bearing on Lats' re-signing, unless the cap hit got in the way.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Avder
Is only game.

I'm pretty sure if Lats hits the open market he is going to be a very coveted free agent simply because of the potential he has if he can get over this concussion and stay healthy.

I honestly think the Wild, as short on scorers as they are, would be insane to not qualify him and tell him it is his MISSION to get healthy and rejoin the team.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Also everything since Fel posted the link to Russos live chat should probably be moved to one of the Lats threads.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Also everything since Fel posted the link to Russos live chat should probably be moved to one of the Lats threads.
You act like its a big deal, every thread goes off topic at some point otherwise there is no point reading a few different POVs over and over

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:02 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:

The thing is that $2.5M for a player of his calibre is a huge bargain. If he can play––and, again, as long as he takes the offseason to clear up his concussion, there's absolutely no reason to think he can't, because the sorts of injuries in his history aren't predictive of future fragility––then he makes the entire team pretty dramatically better.

It's a matter of risk/reward. It's low-risk for the team, some risk for the owner, and very high reward.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

as someone else alluded to it's not only the money, it's the roster spot. if you don't sign him you're going to look to sign someone else of ~ the same calibre, right? (edit: meaning it would be prudent to plan for him not playing and we'd want that spot covered). We're going to run out of room. Especially if Bouchard is able to play, too.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
as someone else alluded to it's not only the money, it's the roster spot. if you don't sign him you're going to look to sign someone else of ~ the same calibre, right? (edit: meaning it would be prudent to plan for him not playing and we'd want that spot covered). We're going to run out of room. Especially if Bouchard is able to play, too.
I honestly think Bouchard is done at this point. Unless he comes back this season or early next season, I dont see him coming back at all. Too many hits to the brain.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:23 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
We're not going to find another Gui in free agency. And it doesn't sound like the team wants to go overpay a free agent forward not named "Parise" this off-season anyway. So the roster spot will be filled by a guy from Houston (note that we're going to have a lot more forward depth in Houston next year, so this doesn't mean just a Peters or Ortmeyer type) and we can send him back if/when Gui's taken off IR.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:32 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
If they let him walk I'll be done supporting this team. We can't score for ****. Haven't been able to in years. If they repeat history and let proven goal scorers leave, how the hell do they ever hope to improve? Sorry but Granlund and whatever prospects we send to Houston aren't going to fill his spot.

He's the best ****ing player we've had since Gabby and they're worried about that cap hit for one year? You know damn well the Wild aren't going to all of a sudden get 2 to huge UFA's signed in the offseason. I thought we wanted a "winning culture" and a GM who brings in good players?

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:44 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
If they let him walk I'll be done supporting this team. We can't score for ****. Haven't been able to in years. If they repeat history and let proven goal scorers leave, how the hell do they ever hope to improve? Sorry but Granlund and whatever prospects we send to Houston aren't going to fill his spot.

He's the best ****ing player we've had since Gabby and they're worried about that cap hit for one year? You know damn well the Wild aren't going to all of a sudden get 2 to huge UFA's signed in the offseason. I thought we wanted a "winning culture" and a GM who brings in good players?
Lats has been out for nearly TWO STRAIGHT YEARS! I would love to have him back and healthy. But it's a big risk. Either sign him for cheap or have a Plan B. Because if we give him a lot, and he's on the shelf for 5 out of the 6 months next year, the Wild will look like a joke. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, just shoot me now! I repeat..nearly TWO straight years!

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i think the focus was on drafting and developing our own "good" players rather than bringing them in. I didn't mean necessarily finding Latendresse's back-up plan in free agency; a player of his calibre is going to cost more than Gui, and we'd probably have to trade for one of those. So not only do we have that $4m+ cap hit we'd be giving up other assets to take it on.
I just don't like starting the year doubting very much if two top six forwards will play over half a season respectively and adding on top of it the inevitable injuries to our other top sixers. Coyle and Larsson will be available as call-ups at the very least, but that's the same sort of gamble as counting on Scandella to be a top four guy this year would have been.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:51 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Lats has been out for nearly TWO STRAIGHT YEARS! I would love to have him back and healthy. But it's a big risk. Either sign him for cheap or have a Plan B. Because if we give him a lot, and he's on the shelf for 5 out of the 6 months next year, the Wild will look like a joke. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, just shoot me now! I repeat..nearly TWO straight years!
And he came to camp in shape and in full beast mode. Then got boarded. Can't hold that against him. If we shut him down until next year (which is most likely the case) he should be good to go.

And, it's not big money to get him for a year. We'll have cap room next year. It's very low risk, and very high return.

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote