HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Reportedly to Begin Negotiations With Nabokov

Old
02-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Zanny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
Snow, who declined comment on any current or future contract talks but did reiterate that he has no plans to trade Nabokov before next Monday's deadline, appears to envision Nabokov next season teaming with 21-year-old Kevin Poulin, who made 33 saves in Saturday's 4-3 win over the Hurricanes and will likely get the call in goal today.

"Now, a lot of people said, last season, the reason I didn't come here is because it's a bad organization. That's not true. I didn't come because I didn't think I was ready. I came to training camp ready to go, and I think it's been good."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.3542563
Can someone please explain to me what Nanny means when he says that he did not report to the isles last year bc he didn't think he was ready. He was ready for the Red Wings but didn't think he was ready for the Isles??

I hope he signs with the isles, but please spare me the hollow excuses.

Zanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:09 PM
desmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
by far the best thing about any of this- bs or not- would be that someone is admitting that the idea of DP being the starting goaltender of the future is finished.

if Nabby's signed, you can bet it won't be to be a backup....
if he's not signed, which is more likely, you can still bet that DP is listening and (hopefully) reading the writing on the wall....
Two options: amnesty or retirement.

desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Not including Jurcina, Pap, Montoya, wallace and maybe a reasoner buyout we are shedding over 12M in dead weight salary next year which may be filled by youth:

rolston 5M
pandolfo 1.4m
eaton 2.5M
staios 1.6M
mottau 800K
witt 833K (last year of buyout)

Jurcina could be an additional 1.6M off the books if not resigned

Ness and Donovan will only be 900K hits if they make it and CDH is $1.5M.... If strome(1.8M) makes team and Pap gets resigned it may eat into it somewhat. I think we can afford $4M a year for Nabby for 2 years

So I think that we we'll need to add actually add some salary to make floor..there should be room.
Replacing Eaton, Jurcina and Staios with those three rookies would be awful. All three would benefit from more AHL time too. Ness I'd be fine with but can't have all three. Also, if all of those three go you need some dmen to play on the PK (Gill please!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
There has been talk of a temporary cap of 69 million before the CBA is done so the cap and cap floor should both go up. With all the fiscally responsible long term contracts, the Isles have a buttload of cap space just to get to the cap floor next year. It's fascinating how creative the organization is in money saving moves.

Cue the 'Wang is cheap' and 'Wang must sell' responses.
I saw that on twitter. One thing though, it could change due to the new CBA coming up.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanny View Post
Can someone please explain to me what Nanny means when he says that he did not report to the isles last year bc he didn't think he was ready. He was ready for the Red Wings but didn't think he was ready for the Isles??

The Red Wings had a few goalies ready to play at the moment and told him they would give him weeks to get back into game shape and play in the playoffs.

Isles just had another goalie injury and picked him up to play by the next game.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:12 PM
desmond

Quote:

PR BS. Most of these morons don't realize that LI is a great place to live. North Shore mansions, schools, shopping, Hamptons.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:14 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I saw that on twitter. One thing though, it could change due to the new CBA coming up.
Yeah, the article I read spoke about that. About if the cap went down after the CBA was done then what happens with all the teams that used the higher temporary cap as their basis for contracts. I'm sure they'll work something out on that even if the CBA isn't done by July 1st. In any case, all signs point to a higher cap next year.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:19 PM
ziggy7716

Wow, so many damn negative nancy's here. Claiming that this has to be BS. Like I know this team has suffered some tough times along the years so I can see why people can be pessitimistic about some things, but at the same time this is ridiculous.

Have you not seen Nabby's deameanor? He seems to be really enjoying it here, not only that, but he knows the Islanders have money to shell out what he wants. This is very legit, I think he will be re-signed by the deadline. When that happens, I will be more then happy to say I told you so lol.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Ziggy16

if any team is stupid enough to spend to what they know is a temporary limit, they deserve to be screwed over if the cap is lower in the new cba..

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:24 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Wow, so many damn negative nancy's here. Claiming that this has to be BS. Like I know this team has suffered some tough times along the years so I can see why people can be pessitimistic about some things, but at the same time this is ridiculous.

Have you not seen Nabby's deameanor? He seems to be really enjoying it here, not only that, but he knows the Islanders have money to shell out what he wants. This is very legit, I think he will be re-signed by the deadline. When that happens, I will be more then happy to say I told you so lol.
I agree with your post, just make sure next time you're wrong, you tell us about that too. It's only fair.

I won't be getting my hopes up, but this is good news he will talk about it.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:28 PM
JKP

Remarkable if he wants to stay. Speaks a lot to the direction of the team. If it's BS, oh well...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Yeah, the article I read spoke about that. About if the cap went down after the CBA was done then what happens with all the teams that used the higher temporary cap as their basis for contracts. I'm sure they'll work something out on that even if the CBA isn't done by July 1st. In any case, all signs point to a higher cap next year.
In that case, Isles should not be frugal with PAP's or Nabby's contracts. Give them what they have earned. And if Nabokov were signed I'd go crazy with optimism, but I have to control that for now

And with that, they would still have room to shore up the defense.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:35 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
I agree with your post, just make sure next time you're wrong, you tell us about that too. It's only fair.

I won't be getting my hopes up, but this is good news he will talk about it.
lol ok no problem.

I think a 2 yr deal would be perfect. By the time the 2 years are up I would assume that Poulin will be ready to take the reigns.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:39 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

It's funny that Nabby was probably the biggest villian in Isles Country a year ago. The amount of venom we had for him was unreal. If he signs it, I'll go as high as $5M/per for 2 years. The guy is proven and he is performing as such. There would be NO talk of playoffs if he wasn't.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Hope it happens, not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post

So even with the experience of past 20+ years, the 'negative nancies' are wrong and you say this is legit based on his his demeanor from afar? Hey, I hope you're right, but unless there was a missing "" somewhere, I have to nominate this as the worst logic I've seen in awhile.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:51 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Hope it happens, not holding my breath.

So even with the experience of past 20+ years, the 'negative nancies' are wrong and you say this is legit based on his his demeanor from afar? Hey, I hope you're right, but unless there was a missing "" somewhere, I have to nominate this as the worst logic I've seen in awhile.
Well the people that are saying this is BS have to be just as bad as a post. There is no evidence of that all, just simply a pessimists "theory" of it being BS.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Renbarg

I think some of the comments in Newsday makes me think that this is finally the end for Ricky (maybe the Islanders are anticipating some sort of amnesty in the next CBA).

I don't really care one way or the other, I just want at least one of Monty or Nabby re-signed.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:02 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Replacing Eaton, Jurcina and Staios with those three rookies would be awful. All three would benefit from more AHL time too. Ness I'd be fine with but can't have all three. Also, if all of those three go you need some dmen to play on the PK (Gill please!).

Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting we replace with all 3 rookie D, although nothing can be worse than the 3 vet expiring contracts on D. I actually meant even if we bring up some rookies we will have more cash we need to spend next year through free agent or new contracts for existing players.. the upgrade on franz, jt and maybe pap/nabby won't offset what we shed this year.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:03 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
PR BS. Most of these morons don't realize that LI is a great place to live. North Shore mansions, schools, shopping, Hamptons.
Yeah, it's a great place to live. High taxes, high commuting costs, high housing prices, insane traffic, lack of green space.

I hope you mean great place to live if you are rich.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:

He's probably just trying to cover his tracks.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting we replace with all 3 rookie D, although nothing can be worse than the 3 vet expiring contracts on D. I actually meant even if we bring up some rookies we will have more cash we need to spend next year through free agent or new contracts for existing players.. the upgrade on franz, jt and maybe pap/nabby won't offset what we shed this year.
My bad then

One thing that is interesting to consider is that with Nabokov, the dire need of defense falls a bit. Look at the numbers and games Nabokov has stolen even with the D corps we have now.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:14 PM
HammyNyIslesCupCrazy

My god do I hope this is true. If he re-signs before the deadline, the stability in net could add a mental boost to the team for the last stretch. I'm going to the game tomorrow, hope the support comes out.

HammyNyIslesCupCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:22 PM
desmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Yeah, it's a great place to live. High taxes, high commuting costs, high housing prices, insane traffic, lack of green space.

I hope you mean great place to live if you are rich.
well, they're rich. real estate taxes in the Hamptons are ok.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:23 PM
IslandersFan17

Is it at all possible that Nabakov did not buy in until more recently?

Why does this have to be b/s because of the time frame.
How long have the Islanders been in remote contention?

How long has Nabakov's name been dangeled and not garnered much postive feed back from a "contender"?

Lastly, if posters on here can "see through this scheme" then explain how another NHL GM would buy the "bs" and all of a sudden rush out and trade for him thinking the Islanders would sign- unless of course it is a very reall possibility.

End of the day, if Nabby is retained or not you have to imagine the Islanders do want to keep Nabakov.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:

I can kind of see where he was coming from last season.

He explained that the Wings signed him with the understanding that he needed a few weeks to get back into shape and be rdy to play. They were in a position to give him that, seeing as they wanted him for the playoffs and not just the regular season.

We wanted him to come to the Island and step in right away. He wasn't ready to do that.

Makes sense, but only one person can know for sure.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
It could be ********, or it could be true. I'm not sure which, but I am sure that I'm not fond of/don't trust Meehan.
I'm very skeptical as well. While I'd like Nabokov back and he has been a rock in our net, but up until this point I would have bet the house that he's had july 1st circled on his calender. Put me in the category of I'll believe it when I see it.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote