HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Reportedly to Begin Negotiations With Nabokov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2012, 09:51 PM
  #51
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
My bad then

One thing that is interesting to consider is that with Nabokov, the dire need of defense falls a bit. Look at the numbers and games Nabokov has stolen even with the D corps we have now.
No my bad, I didn't explain myself well.
Crazy how our attitude about nabby (myself included) has done a complete 180.. would love if he actually likes it here and wants to stay, could have the added benefit of making us a slightly more attractive for UFAs

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:55 PM
  #52
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,370
vCash: 500
Since when does an NHL agent have to say anything to the press if negotiations are going well...Or going at all?

We just signed Frans Nielsen...I didn't hear from his agent.
When we signed Grabner...Didn't hear from his agent.
Oh...And Okposo...Didn't hear from his agent.

Now in the past week I've heard from Parenteau's agent (Who says there'll be no deal, if any, until the offseason), and now Nabokov's agent who says they're going to start negotiating soon...with 6 days before the trade deadline. Take your time...No rush.

So let me see...A player who pulled a Kirk Muller last season all of a sudden does a complete 180 in attitude and now, in the twilight of his career, is going to sign a deal with a team nowhere near competing for the Cup. And in addition he's also willing to not wait until the offseason to sign a deal when his value will be at its highest for probably the last deal of his career?

I didn't need Clay Aiken to admit he is gay to know it. And I don't need Nabokov, his agent, or anyone else to say anything to know that this announcement is a total smokescreen and he prefers to be on a true NHL contender as opposed to the Isles.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:57 PM
  #53
VT Isles Fan
Registered User
 
VT Isles Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Not sure what Meehan's ulterior motive is in all this.

Either way, signing Nabby will help the Isles; you'll either have him under contract for next year, or if it's done before the trade deadline, and the Isles decide to deal him, he's no longer a "rental" and you might be able to get more value for him.

Not that I want to see him traded, but just saying....

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:07 PM
  #54
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky
 
KingLio21093's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,837
vCash: 500
Pretty interesting. Although I gotta agree with some who say it's a little suspicious that the negotiations are going to start soon, when the trade deadline is on the 27th. Why couldn't they start at the time we locked up Frans?

Judging from how Nabby has taken in this season, I can tell he's enjoying his time here. But this is just too suspicious for me till I see the press release that he's re-signed.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:12 PM
  #55
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
And in addition he's also willing to not wait until the offseason to sign a deal when his value will be at its highest for probably the last deal of his career?
Goalies don't have much pull come July 1(just look at Vokoun). If the Islanders offer a 3-4 year deal at a reasonable rate it might be to much to pass up.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:20 PM
  #56
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,984
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Isles Fan View Post
Not sure what Meehan's ulterior motive is in all this.
Could be trying to force a team to give in to snow's trade demands so his client could be moved to a contender hopefully enhancing his pay day come July 1st with a solid season and playoff run..

I don't know I just don't trust it nor do I buy all this stuff people saying "he loves it here" or "you can tell he's enjoying himself here". Can you really tell? The guy flat out refused to come here and the ONLY reason he's on this team is because he has to be here for him to play in the NHL. The guy has been all professional out there and has given it his all every game, but doesn't mean he really wants to stay here. I'm not knocking Nabby or the Isles but I'm sure with truth serum he'd admit there's plenty of other places he'd rather be.

If he is re-signed I'd be shocked and happy.. If not well.. We always have the Rick..

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:25 PM
  #57
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Isles Fan View Post
Not sure what Meehan's ulterior motive is in all this.
Trying to paint him as a good dude.

I don't care what anybody says, or how Nabby sugar coats it, last year's little show did not win him brownie points around the league. GMs still want good little soldiers.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:32 PM
  #58
OpAck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,238
vCash: 500
I too was thinking this was all B.S. Isles and Nabby claim to fall in love with each other...Isles openly seem intent on keeping him considering his great play as of late. If Snow takes a phone call from another team interested in Nabby...this kinda gives the sense to other GM's that the Isles aren't all that desperate in unloading him.

But...two things come to mind...

-If Snow trades Nabby...any hope of staying in the race go away. Montoya certainly hasn't proven he can keep this team in the race. And Poulin isn't ready...I'd love to see him finish in Bridgeport. Ultimately, I think Snow and the Isles are going to try and stay in the race...meaning his intention on keeping and re-signing Nabby is genuine.

-Snow blatantly said that he has no intention of trading Nabby before the deadline. If I'm trying to drive his price up...I'm not going to openly state that. It only discourages teams from calling Snow and inquiring about him.

Unless Snow already has a trading partner in his sights that wants Nabby and expects they will call again before the deadline...I think it's genuine.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
  #59
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,491
vCash: 500
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.3542563

Nabokov also has grown to like what's around him. "I never asked for a trade, I've never done this," he told Newsday two weeks ago. "If they come to me, that's a different story, but they haven't done that. I like what I see over here. I like the direction this team is going. Now a lot of people said last season the reason I didn't come here is because it's a bad organization. That's not true. I didn't come because I didn't think I was ready. I came to training camp ready to go, and I think it's been good."


This stands out in my mind. Maybe his views of LI have changed.

__________________
Homeland Security is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:15 PM
  #60
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.3542563

Nabokov also has grown to like what's around him. "I never asked for a trade, I've never done this," he told Newsday two weeks ago. "If they come to me, that's a different story, but they haven't done that. I like what I see over here. I like the direction this team is going. Now a lot of people said last season the reason I didn't come here is because it's a bad organization. That's not true. I didn't come because I didn't think I was ready. I came to training camp ready to go, and I think it's been good."


This stands out in my mind. Maybe his views of LI have changed.
One can only hope. Nabby would be a huge re-sign

Islanders1932 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
  #61
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,984
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.3542563

Nabokov also has grown to like what's around him. "I never asked for a trade, I've never done this," he told Newsday two weeks ago. "If they come to me, that's a different story, but they haven't done that. I like what I see over here. I like the direction this team is going. Now a lot of people said last season the reason I didn't come here is because it's a bad organization. That's not true. I didn't come because I didn't think I was ready. I came to training camp ready to go, and I think it's been good."


This stands out in my mind. Maybe his views of LI have changed.
I hope so as I would really enjoy seeing him in an Isles sweater next season.. (There's always a but) But you never know, he could just be putting this out there and not creating waves due to the fact that he is still an Islander.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic or all negative, I want him to stay, but you do see it all the time with athletes that they're happy here or want to re-sign with a club and at the end of the day they go off and sign else where come free agency.

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:30 PM
  #62
islesfan3991
Registered User
 
islesfan3991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange County, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
I've thought about it and I think there may be something here. I don't see why the Isles or Nabokov would say anything out of no where like this. I don't think anyone was expecting the Isles to re-sign Nabby so there really is no point for them to say something like this just for the sake of saying it. Hopefully Nabby decides he wants to be here and a deal gets done.

islesfan3991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:37 PM
  #63
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.3542563

Nabokov also has grown to like what's around him. "I never asked for a trade, I've never done this," he told Newsday two weeks ago. "If they come to me, that's a different story, but they haven't done that. I like what I see over here. I like the direction this team is going. Now a lot of people said last season the reason I didn't come here is because it's a bad organization. That's not true. I didn't come because I didn't think I was ready. I came to training camp ready to go, and I think it's been good."


This stands out in my mind. Maybe his views of LI have changed.
Sal, c'mon, man, read that quote again:

Quote:
"Now a lot of people said last season the reason I didn't come here is because it's a bad organization. That's not true. I didn't come because I didn't think I was ready. I came to training camp ready to go, and I think it's been good."
Didn't think he was ready?!? Seemed ready to go to Detroit where Osgood was hurt and Howard was just coming of the IR so I can only assume this is a 'what you're supposed to say in the media' kind of response. Don't get me wrong, saying the real reason in the press ("I didn't want to play for this garbage fire of an organization last year!") might have made things a tad awkward in the locker room so I at least applaud him for that, but doesn't mean we have to believe it.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/feed...kov-on-waivers

If he said something about his views of LI or the Isles changing throughout this season, maybe I could buy it a little, but this comical line about not being ready as the reason strikes me as completely insincere.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:40 PM
  #64
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky
 
KingLio21093's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.3542563

Nabokov also has grown to like what's around him. "I never asked for a trade, I've never done this," he told Newsday two weeks ago. "If they come to me, that's a different story, but they haven't done that. I like what I see over here. I like the direction this team is going. Now a lot of people said last season the reason I didn't come here is because it's a bad organization. That's not true. I didn't come because I didn't think I was ready. I came to training camp ready to go, and I think it's been good."


This stands out in my mind. Maybe his views of LI have changed.
As a New Orleans Hornets fan who had to deal with the Chris Paul saga, I always prepare for the worst case scenario. Paul told the media that he wanted to be a Hornet for many years and win a championship with them and then once the lockout was over, he privately demanded a trade.

Can't believe everything someone says to the media. It's what happens behind closed doors is what matters.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:42 PM
  #65
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,894
vCash: 500
The offseason goalie market is gonna be suppressed again. Plus, all the true contenders have goalies in place. CHI and Wash maybe the only spots available, but Vokouns signing killed a lot of leverage a good goalie playing on bad teams can get from a contender.

Nabby just wants to see the $ and know what the team believes his value is. He already played the NHL UFA market wrong...

2yrs at 5mil with 1.5 per year in bonuses to help cheapo Wang pad the cap space... Making it a possible 4mil per year deal. People forget to put this out there but he's an over 35er on this contract. There's no escape from the deal once it's signed.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:47 PM
  #66
Hipietro
Registered User
 
Hipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,432
vCash: 500
Signing Nabokov would be huge for many reasons. He would be our #1 for at least next year. With him in net our chances at making the playoffs increase significantly. I would love to see him and Montoya for the next couple seasons.

Signing him would also show that this franchise is working on breaking ties with Dipietro. It is starting to become obvious that management has no hope at all that he will be healthy next season, or ever again for that matter.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:48 PM
  #67
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Sal, c'mon, man, read that quote again:



Didn't think he was ready?!? Seemed ready to go to Detroit where Osgood was hurt and Howard was just coming of the IR so I can only assume this is a 'what you're supposed to say in the media' kind of response. Don't get me wrong, saying the real reason in the press ("I didn't want to play for this garbage fire of an organization last year!") might have made things a tad awkward in the locker room so I at least applaud him for that, but doesn't mean we have to believe it.
He said that he was planning on being ready for the playoffs.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:59 PM
  #68
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky
 
KingLio21093's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Sal, c'mon, man, read that quote again:



Didn't think he was ready?!? Seemed ready to go to Detroit where Osgood was hurt and Howard was just coming of the IR so I can only assume this is a 'what you're supposed to say in the media' kind of response. Don't get me wrong, saying the real reason in the press ("I didn't want to play for this garbage fire of an organization last year!") might have made things a tad awkward in the locker room so I at least applaud him for that, but doesn't mean we have to believe it.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/feed...kov-on-waivers

If he said something about his views of LI or the Isles changing throughout this season, maybe I could buy it a little, but this comical line about not being ready as the reason strikes me as completely insincere.
From last year:

Quote:
Nabokov said he hasn't skated in a while and needs time to get ready.

"Detroit was willing to give me that time," said Nabokov. "I'm not sure if other teams would be ready to give me that time. So that's why I made my decision. Detroit was willing to wait while I got ready. With the Islanders, if I went there, I would need a week or two to get ready and then the season would almost be over."

So for now, he doesn't plan on reporting to the Islanders.

"Right now, that's right," Nabokov said. "I was surprised they picked me up. I was like, 'Wow, what's the point?'''
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6051280

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:01 AM
  #69
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
He said that he was planning on being ready for the playoffs.
He needed two and a half months before he could play? This all happened in January. Before the All Star game even.

Honestly, I hope he re-signs, but like I said, I'm just skeptical at the moment. He didn't want anything to do with us last year (hard to blame him for that) and now he and his agent are telling us it was all a big misunderstanding. Just strikes me as insincere.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:05 AM
  #70
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,808
vCash: 500
This is all very simple: Garth and Meehan sit down a week before the deadline to see if how far they are apart. Nabby's probably told his agent he'd be willing to resign here if his terms are met (deal to see out his career - 3-4 years) and now they're waiting to hear Snow's response.

If they can get a multi-year deal here at good money they might as well take it as the market for goalies is not always easy (ie. Vokoun last year)

In fact, the most interesting piece of info in that article is the line that Snow envisions Nabby & Poulin next season with no mention of DP! Maybe they're really gonna buy him out?!?!


Last edited by IslesNorway: 02-20-2012 at 01:14 AM.
IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:14 AM
  #71
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?
 
RoseTintedVisor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
In fact, the most interesting piece of info in that article is the line that Snow envisions Nabby & Poulin next season with no mention of DP! Maybe they're really gonna buy him out?!?!
That was the important thing to me too.
A DiPietroless lockerroom.

What a wonderful world this could be.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:18 AM
  #72
rollin109
Registered User
 
rollin109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
As much as I think this is BS I hope it happens. What could be a better endorsment for FA's coming to the Island than the guy that refused to play here and was basically forced to play here, now wanting to finish his career here.

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:36 AM
  #73
Disgraced Cosmonaut
Registered User
 
Disgraced Cosmonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
this is actually one of the better threads i've read here in a while. good points on both sides. some actual optimism, some honest skepticism.

i still basically feel like i did in the first post i made. that is, i still feel that it's not likely to get nabby signed to a deal any time soon; why start so late(?). at this point i view any publicity around this topic as hedging. Hedging from Nabby's side (he know's the perception of him around the league could use some touchup paint. plus, LI may actually be growing on him. hell, for a rich guy, nassau is actually pretty sweet.), and hedging from Snow's side (just the fact that he's "negotiating" through the media with one netminder tells me, if nothing else, he's sending signals out to DP.).

i will be very happy to welcome him back. i miss real veteran netminders. i think he could be solid 2 to 3 year support for poulin and nilsson.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:40 AM
  #74
Isles72
Registered User
 
Isles72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,841
vCash: 500
maybe meehan/nabby studied the potential job openings for 2012/13 and decided its not such a bad idea playing for the islanders as their dedicated #1 goalie .

other suiters may want him as their band-aid , or 1b to their 1a and he prefers the isles situation where he'd be the top dog .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:52 AM
  #75
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound
 
Axe Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Islander Country
Country: United States
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Lot's of good posts on this thread. I am cautiously optimistic myself.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.