HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles Reportedly to Begin Negotiations With Nabokov

Old
02-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
This is good news, but I guess the only thing we can do is to wait and see.

If we can't sign him, I would like us to trade him asap. If we can sign him, it's time to trade Montoya, if he got any value.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:00 AM
BillD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
maybe meehan/nabby studied the potential job openings for 2012/13 and decided its not such a bad idea playing for the islanders as their dedicated #1 goalie .

other suiters may want him as their band-aid , or 1b to their 1a and he prefers the isles situation where he'd be the top dog .
^ This. Nabby is 36 and while he could probably land a job in Tampa that is a team that is also rebuilding and might be wary of older goalies after the one and done Rolli experience.
He could wind up in ChiTown or back in SJ but there are very few positions open for Nabby.
He MAY be comfortable here and accept that the cupboard is bare, so why not play it out on LI? Only a possibility, but there is plausability there.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:01 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Besides being the best goalie we have, I would love to see Nabokov sign as one of those who thinks Petrov will be coming over next season and will need another Russian player on the team to help his transition. I say this because I don't think Petro comes to play in the AHL, especially in light of players like Nino getting a chance in the NHL at 19.

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
Besides being the best goalie we have, I would love to see Nabokov sign as one of those who thinks Petrov will be coming over next season and will need another Russian player on the team to help his transition. I say this because I don't think Petro comes to play in the AHL, especially in light of players like Nino getting a chance in the NHL at 19.
certainly could help Petrov's decision to come to north america if someone like Nabby is around to help with the culture shock .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Wanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
certainly could help Petrov's decision to come to north america if someone like Nabby is around to help with the culture shock .
I'm 100% sure that Petrov wont come here if we doesn't have 1 or 2 russians in the team. As you said, Nabby might be the key. And I'm sure that Petrov wants to play in the NHL, he makes much more money in the KHL than in the AHL.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
redbull
Expect more

THIS is the time of year where pending UFAs sign on with their teams, or give some indication of whether they will/won't via their agents (not the media), so it's not surprising that something's being said.

It's in EVERYONE'S best interest to see a goalie who's committed to his team, who's playing great, who's willing to re-sign, who's not pouting or whining publicly (like Dany Heatley - "trade me!") - it's what professionals do and I'm glad Nabokov and his agent are behaving this way. Looks good for them, for the Islanders and even if he secretly wants out, this allows Snow to get maximum value.

I get on Snow a lot based on his decisions/non-decisions and especially how he deals with the media, but this Nabokov situation has worked out perfectly since the awkward waiver claim last year.

Isles are in a win-win, if they sign him, trade him, keep him JUST for this year and lose him. It almost doesn't matter, because you can make a strong case for any of the three situations.

I hope they are able to sign him, simply because he's the best goalie they'll have over the next year or two. And for this franchise, especially at this time in their development, they need that.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:31 AM
John TavArt Ross

3 Years, 10 Million.. would be fine by me.

Edit: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=789638 About Nabby.. Maybe I wasn't all that crazy?

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:33 AM
StumpNYI

The important thing for me is for an entire season to have a legitiment #1 goalie. Please?

Our team is young yes, but our inconsistency is most likely due to the fact that we do not have goaltending that can anchor the team and give them confidence for 82 games. We all watch this team play and you can't help but notice they play different depending on who is in net which on its own has been inconsistent the last few seasons.

Injuries are always a factor, but get an elite goalie who can play 60+ games a year will do more for the young core than upgrading our defense. And that is a bold statement on my part because I recognize the AHL defense we currently are using.

My point is even an average (NHL-not joey macdonald) goalie playing a majority of our games is probably better than juggling three solid goalies.The fact that it could potentially be Nabokov is a bonus.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:42 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
^ This. Nabby is 36 and while he could probably land a job in Tampa that is a team that is also rebuilding and might be wary of older goalies after the one and done Rolli experience.
He could wind up in ChiTown or back in SJ but there are very few positions open for Nabby.
He MAY be comfortable here and accept that the cupboard is bare, so why not play it out on LI? Only a possibility, but there is plausability there.
This is pretty much what I was saying in the other Nabokov thread.

The reality is that opportunities for veteran goaltenders have been limited. When you look at how few teams need a goalie, then add in the salary cap, the Isles start to look more attractive. Especially if the cap goes down in the new CBA.

Don't forget, Nabokov has made next to nothing (for a star hockey player) the past two years. He left the KHL only a couple of months into his big contract, didn't play in the NHL last year, and only makes $550,000 this year. There is a decent chance that he wants another big payday before retiring.

The three things he is probably looking for are
1) a chance to start
2) a chance for a Cup
3) money

I don't see him getting all three anywhere. If he wants to go to a contender, he will have to go the Vokoun route (and we see how well that has worked so far). He can get 2 of the 3 from the Isles. Maybe he likes the young players here enough that he takes it, and hopes the team can make a miracle run in the next 2.5 years.

__________________________________________________ _____

In any case, I really hope he signs for 2-3 years. Let Poulin/Nilsson have another year in the AHL next year, then back up for a year, then compete for the starting job.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I'll run around the street naked if he gets re-signed.
Good thing I live in Raleigh.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:58 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

As much as I like Montoya, and he was solid for us last season, and parts of this season he is showing that perhaps he is a capable backup and not a true starter. If the Islanders can engineer a deal for Montoya at the deadline with Nabokov signed to a 3 year deal at about $3 per, Id be OK with that.

Im not sure I would go 3 years on a deal with a goalie who is 36. It might be more prudent to go 2 years, but during the thrid year Nabokov could switch to being Poulin's backup if things go in that direction, and Poulin proves his mettle.

I think Nabokov and Poulin would be the Ideal scenario. DiPietro will of course be on the roster next season again, but I think we are all aware including the New York Islanders that his playing days are in essence finished. He may get 8-10 starts before getting hurt, and that will be that.

I hope Snow can get the job done.

It goes to show you the guys he has drafted, the guys who are here, once they get here and play here are OK with it here. Shame we have a hard time selling it to outside UFAs. BUT if the Isles can finish the season with more wins then losses, it could be the indicator potential UFAs need that the team is ready for the next step.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:00 AM
isleskovalchuk

Snow is doing exactly what he should do. Negotiate with Nabby, if the price works re-sign him. If not I hell see what the interest around the league. Not much of a story, but good to see the Isles actually making an attempt to bring him back

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:01 AM
blitzkriegs

Folks, Montoya has no value. His play this season erased any good he had leftover from last year. It's even more glaring bc NYI now have a true no.1 Playing full time.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Wedregast

This to me is the most important thing from that newsday article, http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ers-1.3542563:

"Snow, who declined comment on any current or future contract talks but reiterated that he has no plans to trade Nabokov before next Monday's deadline, appears to envision Nabokov teaming next season with 21-year-old Kevin Poulin"

No DP to hold us back.

I am trying to be optimistic. Snow would have to sign Nabby by the deadline for me to feel he'd be coming back. If he were to resign with us, it is a huge step for us, and a few different levels. We'd have an actual #1 goalie, and Poulin would be able to be groomed as a future #1 the right way, learning from Nabby as his backup. It also would be a huge sign to the rest of the league that if given a chance, the Islanders isn't a bad team to play for at all.

Now if Nabby doesn't resign with us before the deadline, I think he will play out FA for the best team with the highest bid, and not look back.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
This to me is the most important thing from that newsday article.
That's just Arthur Staple writing what he thinks might be true, not sure why you think his ideas are so important. He is just a newspaper writer.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:16 AM
JKP

Quote:
This to me is the most important thing from that newsday article, http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ers-1.3542563:

"Snow, who declined comment on any current or future contract talks but reiterated that he has no plans to trade Nabokov before next Monday's deadline, appears to envision Nabokov teaming next season with 21-year-old Kevin Poulin"

No DP to hold us back.
Not to pour cold water on you and others pointing out that quote, but that's the reporter's assumption/deduction and not something Garth has said.

JKP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:23 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
smoke screen

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Fantom

I am not the biggest fan of the guy. He is a above average goalie. Might be better then our options right now. So if he wants to stay sure i make him a offer. However nothing over 2 years 6M I would prefer 4m plus bonus.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
If Garth made Nino a promise to stay in the NHL, he'll do the same for Petrov who is likely far more polished then Nino is.

I don't think the NYI need another Russian for Petrov, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Sal, c'mon, man, read that quote again:

Didn't think he was ready?!? Seemed ready to go to Detroit where Osgood was hurt and Howard was just coming of the IR so I can only assume this is a 'what you're supposed to say in the media' kind of response. Don't get me wrong, saying the real reason in the press ("I didn't want to play for this garbage fire of an organization last year!") might have made things a tad awkward in the locker room so I at least applaud him for that, but doesn't mean we have to believe it.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/feed...kov-on-waivers

If he said something about his views of LI or the Isles changing throughout this season, maybe I could buy it a little, but this comical line about not being ready as the reason strikes me as completely insincere.

I get what your saying there. But, maybe now after playing here, he is realizing it isn't so bad here. All the core players have said how well they've been treated. For all the grief we give Wang and Snow, they apparently know how to keep players happy.

Quote:

No DP to hold us back.

I am trying to be optimistic. Snow would have to sign Nabby by the deadline for me to feel he'd be coming back. If he were to resign with us, it is a huge step for us, and a few different levels. We'd have an actual #1 goalie, and Poulin would be able to be groomed as a future #1 the right way, learning from Nabby as his backup. It also would be a huge sign to the rest of the league that if given a chance, the Islanders isn't a bad team to play for at all.

Now if Nabby doesn't resign with us before the deadline, I think he will play out FA for the best team with the highest bid, and not look back.

In light of what Staple said in the article, I can see DP retiring or a buy out this summer.

02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleskovalchuk View Post
Snow is doing exactly what he should do. Negotiate with Nabby, if the price works re-sign him. If not I hell see what the interest around the league. Not much of a story, but good to see the Isles actually making an attempt to bring him back
you might be right -and if he's traded ,Snow could say he at least ''tried'' to sign him which allows him to weasel out of his intention to keep him .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I get what your saying there. But, maybe now after playing here, he is realizing it isn't so bad here. All the core players have said how well they've been treated. For all the grief we give Wang and Snow, they apparently know how to keep players happy.

In light of what Staple said in the article, I can see DP retiring or a buy out this summer.
I do not want DP on this team. However a Buyout should not happen. We dont need a 20 year cap hit

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I do not want DP on this team. However a Buyout should not happen. We dont need a 20 year cap hit
Lets hope when the new CBA is actually done, they do an amnesty for a player buyout with no cap hit.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

One thing to consider, going to free agency didn't work out the first time for Nabokov, he got low balled and ended up in Russia. If he likes this team, he likes the money they will offer and likes being the number one then maybe that's enough for him.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:58 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

I don't think he is lacking in money. He was going to play for pennies in Detroit. He wants a tin cup. We won't be sniffing one of those before he is long retired.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote