HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Reportedly to Begin Negotiations With Nabokov

Old
02-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Hockify

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Have him around for the majority of the 12-13 season, then trade him.

Ya know, like the rumors claim, Snow wants him to help mentor Poulin/Nillson.
He would also be helpful when Petrov comes to North America (he doesn't speak much english). Next year you would have Nabokov in the NHL and Kabanov in the AHL.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:07 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Not necessarily, just means that Meehan knows that his client will waive his NTC, if a trade was brokered between NYI/TOR.

Now, should Isles be trading with TOR when, technically, they are within striking range of the 8th playoff seat that their potential competitor is occupying? That's a poor move whether you believe NYI can make the playoffs or not. You are telling your team you are removing one of your best players and building up the team you are chasing. Smart, real smart.
Yeah but they already told their team this by carting DP out there early in the year over a hot Montoya and playing all the old pukes over kids and dressing a team with the toughness level of a college women's team.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
@RealKyper

#SNtrade. Nabokov's rep Don Meehan + #Isles Snow talked today regarding a contract extension. As of now he's not expected to be moved by Mon

If this is actually true, I wonder if this means DP is done. I don't think Nabokov would stay if he had to split time with DP.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:57 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Upfront: I'd love for Nabster to sign here.

Any real way you look at it though it makes no sense for him too. He's 36, and we aren't going to the playoffs this year, and probably not next year based on the inability to trade for, or attract, quality UFAs which we simply won't make the playoffs without no matter how great whoever our goaltenders are, are. (har har)

The guy came back with Detroit to make a real play for the cup, not make big money, but to seek the Stanley. He made good coin already in Russia. If his priority is to get the Stanley vs. Get more money then again, why come here?

IMO, despite all the blah-blah to the contrary, I think this is all propaganda to try and inflate his value. Maybe no one wants him? That's hard to imagine, but maybe they want more than market will give right now. So, more blah blah propaganda from Islander nation to create artificial demand.

If there is even the slightest chance that they will retain Nabster it will mean the following:
1) Rick is retiring and they know that the goaltending prospects are a year or more away from being real prospects.
2) They see the leap the cap will make next year and are afraid of giving big money to a P.O.Stuff like Roston again. At least spend it on someone good.
3) They do actually intend on make a move or two to provide decent defensive depth, unlike the outhouse we currently have on the blueline. (Hamonic & Amac excepted of course). Even if the first two items occur, Nabster still won't sign here with a probable return of the current roster as is, or similar. No way in heck.

I dare anyone to say all of the above is going to happen, but with a straight face. I dare you. And if you do I need to know where to send the padded truck to pick you up.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:03 PM
mygameworn

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post

Any real way you look at it though it makes no sense for him too. He's 36, and we aren't going to the playoffs this year, and probably not next year based on the inability to trade for, or attract, quality UFAs which we simply won't make the playoffs without no matter how great whoever our goaltenders are, are. (har har)

The guy came back with Detroit to make a real play for the cup, not make big money, but to seek the Stanley. He made good coin already in Russia. If his priority is to get the Stanley vs. Get more money then again, why come here?

IMO, despite all the blah-blah to the contrary, I think this is all propaganda to try and inflate his value. Maybe no one wants him? That's hard to imagine, but maybe they want more than market will give right now. So, more blah blah propaganda from Islander nation to create artificial demand.

If there is even the slightest chance that they will retain Nabster it will mean the following:
1) Rick is retiring and they know that the goaltending prospects are a year or more away from being real prospects.
2) They see the leap the cap will make next year and are afraid of giving big money to a P.O.Stuff like Roston again. At least spend it on someone good.
3) They do actually intend on make a move or two to provide decent defensive depth, unlike the outhouse we currently have on the blueline. (Hamonic & Amac excepted of course). Even if the first two items occur, Nabster still won't sign here with a probable return of the current roster as is, or similar. No way in heck.

I dare anyone to say all of the above is going to happen, but with a straight face. I dare you. And if you do I need to know where to send the padded truck to pick you up.

Old
02-24-2012, 01:34 AM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
I have a feeling Nabokov will not re-sign and will be traded by Monday, for the reasons outlined by A Pointed Stick among others. It's pretty clear the guy wants a shot at the Cup and isn't exactly a spring chicken, so he can't sit around here expecting Wang to open his wallet in the next year or two when that might be all he has left.

Hopefully if GMG trades him away, he can rob a team like Toronto that's both desperate for a goalie and desperate to make the playoffs. Whether Nabby will accept a trade to a bubble team is another story...

02-24-2012, 03:30 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
@RealKyper

#SNtrade. Nabokov's rep Don Meehan + #Isles Snow talked today regarding a contract extension. As of now he's not expected to be moved by Mon

If this is actually true, I wonder if this means DP is done. I don't think Nabokov would stay if he had to split time with DP.
Would you stay for good money if it meant 6 GAMES, knee swelling and, "Oh! lookie, it's swollen, I gotta sit on my $4M barca lounger?" Nabby is assured a full time starting gig.

I think we should trade him for the best defenseman, young or older we can get and plan for 2012 correctly.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:41 AM
Isles72

well, if the plan was to trade him , then you couldnt ask for a better scenerio.

his value is about as high as it could get due to his solid play

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:33 AM
BillD

Nabby's chances of playing for a Cup contender or even a playoff team of any kind are limited.
Unless there is an injury to any of the playoff contenders #1 goalies between now and Monday, they are all set in goal or they wouldn't be playoff contenders. The chances of getting traded to a CUP contender are even more remote, meaning the top 6 teams.
Going to a bubble team like say the Caps assures him of nothing. Maybe Toronto could have some appeal but they are again just a contender for a playoff spot a, iif they even get there, and if they do,not a Cup Contender.
Maybe Nabby doesn't WANT to play for a team who is outside playoff possibility, but that is most likely his fate at this stage, either here on LI or anywhere else. TO or Florida look to be his best shot at getting playoff action if Theodore goes down, but again, these are two bubblle teams that will not likely play more than one round, and do not have a certain upside next season.
If he likes LI area to live and was treated well by the organization, this is as good a gig as he is likely to wind up with give or take a bit. Might as well stay and play if he knows that DP is not an impediment to 60 starts. He is painted into a corner.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:40 AM
kasper11

Quote:

A couple of things...
1) He didn't make big money in Russia. He signed for big money in Russia, but didn't play out his contract.
2) He signed a bargain deal with the Wings for 3 months.
3) It was the middle of the season and he hadn't played hockey for months. Nobody was giving him big money.
4) Nobody was willing to give him big money before he went to Russia.
5) He went to Russia (and signed a 4 year deal) rather than sign cheap with a contender.

I have no doubt he wants a Cup. But I think you are underestimating his desire for a big contract as well.

There will be a few goalies available in the offseason...Nabokov, Vokoun, Theodore, Harding plus trade candidates like Schneider and Bernier.

Teams needing starting goalies will include the Isles, Jackets (who are worse than the Isles), Lightning (who will be looking for a long-term solution), Caps (although they have two promising young goalies), Panthers (they are grooming Markstrom for the job).

Looking at this landscape, can you hardly guarantee that Nabokov will get a better situation next year. Two years ago, he overestimated the market and found himself without a job. Does he risk it again? Or, can the Isles make a good enough offer now that he takes it?

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:49 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
A couple of things...
1) He didn't make big money in Russia. He signed for big money in Russia, but didn't play out his contract.
2) He signed a bargain deal with the Wings for 3 months.
3) It was the middle of the season and he hadn't played hockey for months. Nobody was giving him big money.
4) Nobody was willing to give him big money before he went to Russia.
5) He went to Russia (and signed a 4 year deal) rather than sign cheap with a contender.

I have no doubt he wants a Cup. But I think you are underestimating his desire for a big contract as well.

There will be a few goalies available in the offseason...Nabokov, Vokoun, Theodore, Harding plus trade candidates like Schneider and Bernier.

Teams needing starting goalies will include the Isles, Jackets (who are worse than the Isles), Lightning (who will be looking for a long-term solution), Caps (although they have two promising young goalies), Panthers (they are grooming Markstrom for the job).

Looking at this landscape, can you hardly guarantee that Nabokov will get a better situation next year. Two years ago, he overestimated the market and found himself without a job. Does he risk it again? Or, can the Isles make a good enough offer now that he takes it?
He will get an offer with the run he put together here but I don't think he wants to play here. We are a dead end and any normal person in his skates would want to change their playoff record. You don't do that backstopping a playoff wildcard, or worse. If all he wanted to do was gain some playing time to get offers in the next season he would have played for us last spring. He didn't because we were already out of the playoffs.

We will have an answer in 3 days, one way or another.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:56 AM
kasper11

Quote:
He will get an offer with the run he put together here but I don't think he wants to play here. We are a dead end and any normal person in his skates would want to change their playoff record. You don't do that backstopping a playoff wildcard, or worse. If all he wanted to do was gain some playing time to get offers in the next season he would have played for us last spring. He didn't because we were already out of the playoffs.

We will have an answer in 3 days, one way or another.
Two years ago he had a better season. His s% was slightly lower (.922 vs .925) but was good for 6th in the league whereas he is only 9th this year. More importantly, he put up that s% while playing in 71 games compared to 30 this year.

Not saying he will sign, especially since I have no idea what Garth is offering (is it a token offer of $2M or a real offer of $4m+?). If he was a skater, I would say no chance he signs. But the market for goalies is tough. If the offer is good enough, his agent will push him to take it.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:18 AM
scott99

Wouldn't it be awesome if it was announced to the crowd tonight prior to the game that Nabakov has signed a new deal (announced at 6:45pm) ? That would be a great thing for Islander's fans to cheer about tonight. Though, unfortunately that might be the only thing us Islander's fans can cheer about tonight, unless Nabakov shuts out the Rangers.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
ziggy7716

Pierre LeBrun reported just before on twitter that Snow and Meehan are continuing talks for a extension for Nabby. I am starting to think this gets done. I believe if it wasn't going to happen that neogiations wouldn't be taking place anymore. Getting Nabby signed will be huge not only for the rest of this season but next season as well. We haven't had a goalie of his caliber in a very, very long time.

Not only that, but considering what happened with Nabby last year for him to come this season and actually end up re-signing says alot. It could definitely help us out come July.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:47 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Pierre LeBrun reported just before on twitter that Snow and Meehan are continuing talks for a extension for Nabby. I am starting to think this gets done. I believe if it wasn't going to happen that neogiations wouldn't be taking place anymore. Getting Nabby signed will be huge not only for the rest of this season but next season as well. We haven't had a goalie of his caliber in a very, very long time.

Not only that, but considering what happened with Nabby last year for him to come this season and actually end up re-signing says alot. It could definitely help us out come July.
we say this every year and it never happens....however, i would be thrilled to resign nabby...we are SO much better with him in net

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:54 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

We HAVE to re-sign Nabby. He is the most stable/professional net presence we have had in a looong time (not counting Roloson)

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:54 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I like the stability Nabby brings back there, especially for a young, flawed team, however, I'd be concerned about his age. There's a chance his game declines next year or thereafter, in addition to durability factors.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Yashin for President

Nabakov signed for 2 more years is perfect. Nabakov/Poulin with Poulin eventually taking over.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Nabakov signed for 2 more years is perfect. Nabakov/Poulin with Poulin eventually taking over.
This is the ideal.

I'm hopeful, but until its actually done, I'll keep my optimism in check.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:30 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
I have a feeling Nabokov will not re-sign and will be traded by Monday, for the reasons outlined by A Pointed Stick among others. It's pretty clear the guy wants a shot at the Cup and isn't exactly a spring chicken, so he can't sit around here expecting Wang to open his wallet in the next year or two when that might be all he has left.

Hopefully if GMG trades him away, he can rob a team like Toronto that's both desperate for a goalie and desperate to make the playoffs. Whether Nabby will accept a trade to a bubble team is another story...
Dreger confirmed that Nabby would waive for Toronto yesterday on sports radio here in Ottawa...said he spoke with Meehan and Snow yesterday...so this isn't an issue.

That the signing has not as yet been announced looks bad on its chances of happening...the offer has been out for several days now (Botta) and subsequent updates (Snow and Meehan talked yesterday - assume this is where Meehan asked for more money/term) and again today (assume this is where Snow came back with a better offer)...now we sit and wait to see if Nabby bites.

That Meehan confirmed through Dreger that Nabby would waive for Toronto is akin to saying "come get me boys" to the Leafs and any other reasonable team.

Note also that Nabby played for Wilson in San Jose...

Just gotta hope the Leafs pony up...maybe one of those young defensemen...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:36 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

you'd have to think Keith Aulie or Cody Franson should be attainable if the Isles can't sign Nabby. I don't want Komisarek, but he does have a declining salary and higher cap hit (I can hear Wang salivating)

I think there's a deal to be made with the Leafs. They have some nice young dmen.

Isles will ask for Gardiner and get a "no thank you", they will ask for Schenn and get a "no thank you"

I'd offer Pap and Nabby for Franson, Kulemin and take back Armstrong's salary

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
you'd have to think Keith Aulie or Cody Franson should be attainable if the Isles can't sign Nabby. I don't want Komisarek, but he does have a declining salary and higher cap hit (I can hear Wang salivating)

I think there's a deal to be made with the Leafs. They have some nice young dmen.

Isles will ask for Gardiner and get a "no thank you", they will ask for Schenn and get a "no thank you"

I'd offer Pap and Nabby for Franson, Kulemin and take back Armstrong's salary
I was thinking along the same lines but keeping it simpler, Nabokov and Parenteau for Franson and a pick if the Isles feel they are not getting enough in return.

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:49 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

This whole Nabby situation is not going to be resolved/revealed until the trade deadline passes. It should go down to the wire. Burke is probably under a lot of pressure right now and it would mean A LOT for Toronto to make the playoffs this year.

Remember, Snow takes pride in his 'poker face'. Johnny T. knows this, how come you don't?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
I was thinking along the same lines but keeping it simpler, Nabokov and Parenteau for Franson and a pick if the Isles feel they are not getting enough in return.
A dman like that needs to be brought back for EACH of them, not a package of BOTH of them.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
mygameworn

What happened to the Blackhawks wanting Nabokov?