HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Reportedly to Begin Negotiations With Nabokov

Old
02-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
If not signed by Sunday night, must be traded. Simple as that...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:25 PM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
We know Chap same for P.A. too

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:35 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
This whole Nabby situation is not going to be resolved/revealed until the trade deadline passes. It should go down to the wire. Burke is probably under a lot of pressure right now and it would mean A LOT for Toronto to make the playoffs this year.

Remember, Snow takes pride in his 'poker face'. Johnny T. knows this, how come you don't?
If Burke offered us Schenn for Nabster and PAP, would you do it?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I've never been high on Schenn, but I probably would. He's having a down year from what I gather, but he's an upgrade for us. A RH who could add some physicality to the blue line and is signed for a while.

I figure they'd need to add a pick or something, but I'm not too good at the value thing.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I'd rather see what each brings us in separate deals.

If they could be dished off for a return of a kid like Voynov and a late 1st, I see that as value greater than Schenn.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:47 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I've never been high on Schenn, but I probably would. He's having a down year from what I gather, but he's an upgrade for us. A RH who could add some physicality to the blue line and is signed for a while.

I figure they'd need to add a pick or something, but I'm not too good at the value thing.
I was thinking similar thoughts, but in the end the important pieces would be those three no matter what the throw ins were.

Hamonic - Schenn would be a sick physical pair over the years.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

Quote:
I'd rather see what each brings us in separate deals.

If they could be dished off for a return of a kid like Voynov and a late 1st, I see that as value greater than Schenn.
Lombardi will never trade Voynov. You might as well ask him for Kopitar.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

I agree with Cap above, If Nabokov does not sign with us by Sunday night we trade him Monday morning.

I want Nabokov to stay but there is the small pessimistic voice in my head that thinks this guy might be plotting some quiet revenge with us after we picked him off waivers and then tolled his contract. Obviously Garth had full rights to do it and I am glad he did do it but still it may still linger in there that hmmm.. let me get back at this guy.

I hope Im wrong

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Nabokov - While he has played well , at 36 he is not the future of this team. His reluctance to want to play with NYI last season should also be a concern. He is basically playing for you guys now because he does not have much of a choice.

I think you would be better off trading him actually. It would allow your young goalies to finally play in the NHL.

Poulin - While he has had some ups and downs this season with NYI, I think that he is about 95% NHL ready. The 5% he is missing is more NHL games actually, not less. He seems to play better with more playing time.

Nilsson - He has been insanely good the last 2 month in the AHL. He is 5th in the AHL in save percentage right now. He also won like 9 games in a row at this point ,before losing in a shootout tonight.

I'd go with Montoya-Poulin at NHL level...thus allowing Nilsson to play a ton in AHL.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Lenny on Ice

Quote:
I would not want Schenn, he isn't worth 3.3M.
I would take Franson for Nabby, not the best choice either but there are not many teams interested in a goalie.

Lenny on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Yup! Some players aren't what they can be because of where they play. A geographic cure can work wonders for a player.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:59 AM
Isles72

Quote:
2 rentals (albeit , pretty damn good rentals)wont get you Schenn .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:17 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
I suspect Snow thinks the same way. Sometimes you wait until Monday morning though, but Sunday should be the deadline.

IslesNorway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:49 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
I suspect Snow thinks the same way. Sometimes you wait until Monday morning though, but Sunday should be the deadline.
I hate to say it but we most likely are going to have to win 15/16 of our last 21 games to make the playoffs at this point, if we lose to Ottawa the Islanders best become sellers

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:34 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
2 rentals (albeit , pretty damn good rentals)wont get you Schenn .
No kidding, unless he thought the Leafs were a top four challenger for the cup maybe. However, I just wanted to gauge interest from our side. If Burke could outright sign PAP that could change things. PA's camp said they'd sign an aggressive offer now.

Old
02-25-2012, 08:09 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
Nabokov - While he has played well , at 36 he is not the future of this team. His reluctance to want to play with NYI last season should also be a concern. He is basically playing for you guys now because he does not have much of a choice.

I think you would be better off trading him actually. It would allow your young goalies to finally play in the NHL.

Poulin - While he has had some ups and downs this season with NYI, I think that he is about 95% NHL ready. The 5% he is missing is more NHL games actually, not less. He seems to play better with more playing time.

Nilsson - He has been insanely good the last 2 month in the AHL. He is 5th in the AHL in save percentage right now. He also won like 9 games in a row at this point ,before losing in a shootout tonight.

I'd go with Montoya-Poulin at NHL level...thus allowing Nilsson to play a ton in AHL.
And that duo would get us another top 5 pick. After what happened after his claim, something must have changed to want him to stay. I keep him as he gives the best chance to win for the enxt couple of years.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:31 AM
kasper11

Quote:

I don't think Poulin is ready...he has just 59 games at the pro level, another season in the AHL would be good for him.

Ideally, we sign Nabokov for 2 years and a cheap backup for next year. Let Poulin and Nilsson play another year in the AHL, then spend a year backing up and learning from Nabokov.

Keeps the Isles as competitive as possible in the near term, while being best for the development of the prospects long term.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:17 AM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

I can see Snow getting Keith Aulie out of Toronto for Nabokov.

Maybe even a pick (3rd).

No chance on Gardiner, Schenn or Franson.

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Lenny on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post

Maybe even a pick (3rd).

The good thing on Aulie is that he's 2 years younger than Franson and still has potential to get better, while Franson maybe will never reach top 4 potential.
Aulie and a pick for Nabokov wouldn't be bad either but I don't think Snow would take Aulie.
Because both Aulie and Franson are not sure things I wouldn't complain about a 1st round pick either and that's what Snow is maybe looking for.

Lenny on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:45 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I agree with Cap above, If Nabokov does not sign with us by Sunday night we trade him Monday morning.

I want Nabokov to stay but there is the small pessimistic voice in my head that thinks this guy might be plotting some quiet revenge with us after we picked him off waivers and then tolled his contract. Obviously Garth had full rights to do it and I am glad he did do it but still it may still linger in there that hmmm.. let me get back at this guy.

I hope Im wrong
So, you think Nabokov would give up an opportunity to get traded to a playoff team now and play out the rest of the season on the Isles just for revenge?

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Fairenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post

Maybe even a pick (3rd).

Aulie is beyond overrated.

Nabokov is the Isles' 3rd most important player (behind Tavares/Hamonic). Moving him for a bottom-pairing defenseman doesn't do anything for the Isles.

Fairenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Hipietro

Quote:

Couldn't disagree more. Even at 36 Nabokov has shown he still has a ton left. I don't think there's any doubt he could be the starter for this team until he's around 38.

Montoya and Poulin have both struggled this season. With them in net the rest of the way the Isles will struggle to win 5 more games. Simple as that.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I hate to say it but we most likely are going to have to win 15/16 of our last 21 games to make the playoffs at this point, if we lose to Ottawa the Islanders best become sellers
This is how things will realistically have to be viewed.

However, I sure hope Snow doesn't start second-guessing our chances when we beat the Sens 3-2 in the shootout.

He must remain realistic.

This seller's market is far too good at the moment to keep guys for wishful thinking just to see them walk this summer while we once again have very early tee times.

Makes me wonder though.... Would team Canada add a guy like Parenteau for the WC??? I bet he'd take the inivite!

Old
02-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Couldn't disagree more. Even at 36 Nabokov has shown he still has a ton left. I don't think there's any doubt he could be the starter for this team until he's around 38.
I have to agree a bit with the guy you were responding to.

Although Nabokov certainly isn't 'finished' or 'too old', we realistically have to ask ourselves if he is ready, capable and willing to bring this level of play to the Isles for another season or two?

Is Snow willing to shore up the D in front of him?

I personally don't think this level of play would continue once he's gotten his 3.5 million per for two seasons. Call me sceptical...

In addition, there is no doubt that this team MUST find out if Poulin and Nilsson are the very near future of a successful NHL team on Long Island. Can that not be done with Montoya as the back-up plan, for starters???

Montoya thrived when given the reigns and asked to run with them. He was only shortly in that position this year and played solidly.

Seeing ice once or twice every 3 weeks in no recipe for success in his case. But a healthy rotation could be...

Quote:
Montoya and Poulin have both struggled this season. With them in net the rest of the way the Isles will struggle to win 5 more games. Simple as that.
Then we would know for sure going into next season.

I think that Nabokov is the type of guy who - if he truly likes it here and would entertain playing here for a certain amount of money that Wang is willing to pay - could be moved to a contender now and then resigned in the summer.

He and his agent strike me as characters open to that type of train of thought. It'd be a win-win situation of sorts.

It'd be risky and doesn't happen often, but Snow does have a decent Plan B here should a gentlemen's agreement not be honored.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:17 AM
ziggy7716

I keep seeing people mentioning Nabokov as being 36 yrs old. That's false. He's 34. Big difference. Nabokov isn't going anywhere, I'll bet a good amount on that.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote