HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Penn State Football

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2004, 08:05 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
OT: Penn State Football

I know quite a few of you here are either Penn St. alums or just Penn St. fans.

I can honestly say right now that Glen Sather has done a better job of running the Rangers than Paterno has with Penn st. football the last few years

Joe must Go !

Old
09-26-2004, 10:08 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Joe had some great teams and great years, though.

Some guys just don't know when to pack it in.

Old
09-26-2004, 10:27 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Joe had some great teams and great years, though.

Some guys just don't know when to pack it in.
Yes he did ... but it's over .. it's been a decade since he's had a great team.

They can get is back again, ala USC, but it's going to take a new coach, (not one on the current staff) and a whole new philossophy.

The thing that scares me the most is that they will almost certainly go in house for their next coach, and that will be a major mistake.

Old
09-26-2004, 10:28 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
I'm torn...I grew up watching the guy (ok granted I'm only 22) and always loved the guy, but Penn State shouldn't be putting up records like this. One part of me says let him stay until he wants to leave because he's earned it but the other side of me really wants to see Penn State actually playing good...

I'll always love Joepa

Hope his son is ok

Old
09-26-2004, 10:56 PM
JCProdigy

Sorry John. I understand your setiments but I respectfully disagree. I think Joe as earned the right to decide when he'll hang em up and absolutely deserves no disrespect from Penn State fans by chanting Joe must Go or otherwise.

And it's not like this program has gone 2-10 the last 8 years. They were bad in 00 and 01 but were 2 horrible calls away from being 11-1 in 02. Last year was a disaster, no doubt. I thought that they would have a good record this year and while that seems unlikely now, can you blame Paterno for having his top two quarterbacks shelved in one quarter? That game was over the minute Robinson was carted of the field in an ambulance.

I guess what's sad is that in order for Penn State to compete again they'll have to get somebody in there that'll give these recruits the money under the table and allow the players to act like thugs so that they can snatch them away from programs like Miami and Florida State.

Old
09-26-2004, 11:45 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
Sorry John. I understand your setiments but I respectfully disagree. I think Joe as earned the right to decide when he'll hang em up and absolutely deserves no disrespect from Penn State fans by chanting Joe must Go or otherwise.

And it's not like this program has gone 2-10 the last 8 years. They were bad in 00 and 01 but were 2 horrible calls away from being 11-1 in 02. Last year was a disaster, no doubt. I thought that they would have a good record this year and while that seems unlikely now, can you blame Paterno for having his top two quarterbacks shelved in one quarter? That game was over the minute Robinson was carted of the field in an ambulance.

I guess what's sad is that in order for Penn State to compete again they'll have to get somebody in there that'll give these recruits the money under the table and allow the players to act like thugs so that they can snatch them away from programs like Miami and Florida State.

I agree with what you're saying but I'm not sure who decides who's going to be his surrounding cast (as in coaching) but he really really needs some help out there.

Zack Mills has the potential to be a really really great QB but without the coaching and the surrounding cast he's getting left out to dry yet again.

Old
09-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
JoePa has earned the right to decide when he wants to hang it up, but that doesn't mean it isn't painful for fans to watch.

Why was Morelli on the bench while that bum Ganter was playing...ugh.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
09-27-2004, 08:12 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
JoePa has earned the right to decide when he wants to hang it up, but that doesn't mean it isn't painful for fans to watch.

Why was Morelli on the bench while that bum Ganter was playing...ugh.
Morelli & Austin Scott should have been in the line-up.

Old
09-27-2004, 08:18 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

You don't have to cheat to win. And the players at Penn St. have been getting in more and more trouble of late, so we're not Saint's anymore either.

Penn St. just isn't getting the players that they used to, and that you need to compete at the top level.

When they moved into the Big 10 it was expected to be Michigan, Ohio St. and Penn St.

At this point Purdue and Wisconsin have passed us by, Iowa and Minnesota are at least equals.

=============================================

How about getting Anthony Morelli and Auston Scott on the field ???

How about being able to stop a big bruising full-back, when Wisconsin had NO passing threat whatsoever.

Old
09-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Fletch

Where are all the All-American...

lineman and line backers? It really isn't what it used to be. Whether a Joe Pat replacement's the answer, as opposed to a shift away from PSU football and on to other places, I just don't know.

Old
09-27-2004, 09:20 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
lineman and line backers? It really isn't what it used to be. Whether a Joe Pat replacement's the answer, as opposed to a shift away from PSU football and on to other places, I just don't know.
Their lines have abeen a joke for years, constantly getting dominated at the point of attack. The linebackers are too slow, the game has become all about speed, something Penn St. sorely lacks.

Old
09-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Fletch

So you're saying...

that Matt Millen-type guys are no longer in style?

Old
09-27-2004, 04:43 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
You don't have to cheat to win. And the players at Penn St. have been getting in more and more trouble of late, so we're not Saint's anymore either.

Penn St. just isn't getting the players that they used to, and that you need to compete at the top level.

When they moved into the Big 10 it was expected to be Michigan, Ohio St. and Penn St.

At this point Purdue and Wisconsin have passed us by, Iowa and Minnesota are at least equals.

How about getting Anthony Morelli and Auston Scott on the field ???

How about being able to stop a big bruising full-back, when Wisconsin had NO passing threat whatsoever.
Hey John. Like I said, I feel your pain. As a fellow alumn it's hard to sit here and watch this program weaken. I'm not denying that it's Paterno's time to go but I respect what he's done enough to allow him to decide when it's his time and I will not deride him for sticking it out.

As far as players getting in trouble: My intention was not to say that Penn State has a team full of saints or that the program is completely clean because from my time there, I know better. The point was that Paterno doesn't let things slide as much as some other coaches do and recruits know this.

I will agree on the Scott and Morelli and I don't have a clue why neither played. The only reason I could thnk of Morelli not playing is not wanting to throw him into that cluster**** of a game.

Old
10-03-2004, 09:37 AM
John Flyers Fan

Another game and another non-competitive effort.

The defense as usual was solid and played well enough to win (although far from dominant like PSU defenses of old).

The offense was a complete train wreck again as usual. :mad: :mad:

Old
10-03-2004, 03:16 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Penn State-Blair Thomas

Old
10-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Fletch

Blair Thomas?

Ki-Jana Carter!

Old
10-04-2004, 02:19 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Ki-Jana Carter!
I think Ki-Jana would have been great, he never fully recovered from that knee injury. At Penn St. he ran a 4.35 ... after the knee injury he was more like a 4.5 guy. Lost a step, and that killed him.

Old
10-04-2004, 04:15 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Curtis Enis

Curt Warner until he tore up his knee

Old
10-30-2004, 10:01 PM
John Flyers Fan

Joe Must Go
Joe must Go
Joe Must Go
Joe Must Go

... and please take your son with you

Make Tom Bradley the head coach, or hire someone from outside the program.

Bradley is their best recruiter ... and his defense gets better and better each week. The defense has allowed just 13 points combined against Iowa and Ohio St. ... and two losses

Meanwhile the offense gets more and more embarassing each week.
Can't run
Can't throw
Cab't catch
Can't block

Old
10-31-2004, 12:02 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Joe Must Go
Joe must Go
Joe Must Go
Joe Must Go

... and please take your son with you

Make Tom Bradley the head coach, or hire someone from outside the program.

Bradley is their best recruiter ... and his defense gets better and better each week. The defense has allowed just 13 points combined against Iowa and Ohio St. ... and two losses

Meanwhile the offense gets more and more embarassing each week.
Can't run
Can't throw
Cab't catch
Can't block

Venting some frustration? Like I said before, I feel your pain. I was there for homecoming and I'll be there next week for Northwestern. Going for a football weekend used to be 50% for football then 50% for drinking....now it's 95% for drinking.

If Robinson never throws another ball at QB I'll be a happy person. Not that it is all his fault but I just think he'd be better utilized as a Wide out or RB. Next year put in the Soph as the QB, let Robinson be the no 1 WR and let Hunt and Scott do the running. Now if the offensive line can just give em some time we'll be improved.

One more thing. John just asking...Do you want the Fans to chant "Joe Must Go" at the games? Just wondering why you put it like that in your message.

Old
10-31-2004, 02:08 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Venting some frustration? Like I said before, I feel your pain. I was there for homecoming and I'll be there next week for Northwestern. Going for a football weekend used to be 50% for football then 50% for drinking....now it's 95% for drinking.

If Robinson never throws another ball at QB I'll be a happy person. Not that it is all his fault but I just think he'd be better utilized as a Wide out or RB. Next year put in the Soph as the QB, let Robinson be the no 1 WR and let Hunt and Scott do the running. Now if the offensive line can just give em some time we'll be improved.

One more thing. John just asking...Do you want the Fans to chant "Joe Must Go" at the games? Just wondering why you put it like that in your message.
Morellie should be the quarterback for the rest of the season. This season is alread a wash, getting him some game time can only help for next year.

What drives me even crazier is the fact that the stated reason Morelli isn't playing by Paterno is "He's not ready yet."

Well then why can fellow freshman Chad Henne, lead Michigan to an undefeated Big 10 record. Morelli and Henne were the two highest rated high school QB's last year in this area.

I was planning on going up for the Northwestern game, but I needed the team to give me a reason to go, instead they gave me a reason to stay home.

I love the defense, but the offense, is more than painful to watch, and it's getting worse, not better.

IMO Robinson should be made into a pass catching tight end. He has good hands, but he isn't fast enough to be a real good WR.

The WR's are also a complete disaster.

Probably better if the fans didn't chant "Joe Must Go" , it might make him stay longer out of spite.

If when Paterno finally does leave, if anyone one the staff other than Bradley gets the head job, it will be a nightmare.

It has to be Bradley or someone from outside the current staff.

Old
11-01-2004, 08:24 AM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Morellie should be the quarterback for the rest of the season. This season is alread a wash, getting him some game time can only help for next year.

What drives me even crazier is the fact that the stated reason Morelli isn't playing by Paterno is "He's not ready yet."

Well then why can fellow freshman Chad Henne, lead Michigan to an undefeated Big 10 record. Morelli and Henne were the two highest rated high school QB's last year in this area.
Can't disagree that I wanted to see him in the last couple of games (actually really starting with the Wisconsin game) but I'm guessing that Paterno isn't going with Morelli partly because Joe notoriously doesn't play freshman QBs but also because the o-line is spotty at best. There's a reason why Mills has been battling injuries over the last three years and it's because he's getting pummeled on too many occasions. I think that's the big difference between the Michigan situation and ours. I still would like to see Morelli get some snaps at starting QB this season mind you.

Still trying to find out why you have so much hatred for Paterno?!?! I know he's outstayed his time but if it weren't for him we wouldn't be able to complain about him "ruining" such a great football program in the first place.

Old
11-01-2004, 08:47 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Still trying to find out why you have so much hatred for Paterno?!?! I know he's outstayed his time but if it weren't for him we wouldn't be able to complain about him "ruining" such a great football program in the first place.
It's time to go. I don't hate Paterno, he's obviousy done great things for the football team and the univeristy.

The longer he stays onhowever the tougher a job it will be for the next coach to rebuild the football program into what it used to be.

At the very least Joe needs to come out and say, I'm coaching another "X" number of years, and then Tom Bradley will be taking over the program. If he comes out and says something along those lines, it would help them a great deal in the recruiting battles.

Closed Thread