HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center depth and defensive awareness

Old
02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

vCash: 500
Center depth and defensive awareness

This NYR team is ridiculously defensively aware. The positioning is solid, very very rare is a breakdown that leads to a goal. Teams actually have to earn their goals here, I can't remember many tele-strator post goals, where Joe is pointing out someone lost a man, or there was blown coverage. Across the NHL defense has become way better. There's puck pursuit the very moment the puck is turned over, and outside of some superstars everyone backchecks hard. SHifts stay short way better than they used to, so the tempo and pressure is much higher.

However, this team is head and shoulders above damn near any other team in terms of defensive coverage. I was wondering if you guys thought it was a product of the amount of natural centers in the line-up(obviously it's a product of the system, and the type of players on the team as a mindset - but i'm talking about how damn solid they are in our zone, the uncanny learned positional play)? At almost all levels of hockey centers play way more defensive support than wingers on average, and even back in mites and squirts centers were learning defensive coverage.

Our roster:

Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik

Hagelin - Richards - Callahan

Dubinsky - Boyle - Prust

Fedetenko/Bickel - Rupp - Mitchell

Bolded are natural centers. Underlined and italics is a defenseman which probably doesn't hurt now and again.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Aileen C*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
This NYR team is ridiculously defensively aware. The positioning is solid, very very rare is a breakdown that leads to a goal. Teams actually have to earn their goals here, I can't remember many tele-strator post goals, where Joe is pointing out someone lost a man, or there was blown coverage. Across the NHL defense has become way better. There's puck pursuit the very moment the puck is turned over, and outside of some superstars everyone backchecks hard. SHifts stay short way better than they used to, so the tempo and pressure is much higher.

However, this team is head and shoulders above damn near any other team in terms of defensive coverage. I was wondering if you guys thought it was a product of the amount of natural centers in the line-up(obviously it's a product of the system, and the type of players on the team as a mindset - but i'm talking about how damn solid they are in our zone, the uncanny learned positional play)? At almost all levels of hockey centers play way more defensive support than wingers on average, and even back in mites and squirts centers were learning defensive coverage.

Our roster:

Dubinsky - Boyle - Prust

Bolded are natural centers. Underlined and italics is a defenseman which probably doesn't hurt now and again.
Considering those "natural centers" are all relatively bad at the center position (this team is horrible at the faceoff), I'd definitely attribute it to Tortorella's system.

Aileen C* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:34 PM
MSG the place to be*

Torts

#therightway

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:44 PM
NYR Viper

This team isn't "Horrible" at the face-off. They are average in the NHL. They could definitely be better but they are much better as opposed to last season.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileen C View Post
Considering those "natural centers" are all relatively bad at the center position (this team is horrible at the faceoff), I'd definitely attribute it to Tortorella's system.
Our faceoff percentage is 50.3. We're 13th in the league.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Our problem is defense off the faceoff, and losing them CLEANLY. If you lose a faceoff but buy your guys time to man up, it's not the end of the world. If you lose that faceoff cleanly, a defensemen is getting an open shot.

Also, Dubi is better at wing than he ever was at center. I'd call him a natural winger.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:32 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileen C View Post
This has to be the most incorrect thing i've read on these boards in the past few weeks.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:38 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
This has to be the most incorrect thing i've read on these boards in the past few weeks.
Inaccurate, and if it were true, still makes no sense as to credit Torts.

I think the OP makes a solid point, and I would agree that it is probably because there are many natural centers on the team. Definitely a system thing too.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think its part of the system, but our guys are just good defensively. Anisimov is fantastic defensively, Stepan has become good defensively, Boyle is good defensively...and then to go away from centers, you have Cally, Dubi, Hagelin...all very good defensive forwards. There's really no BAD defensive forwards on this team. Gabby is one of the few scoring superstars who bothers to play defense. And that's all without mentioning our fantastic defenseman. Its part system, part players.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:14 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Agreed. Losing too many faceoffs is separate from defensive positioning and awareness

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post

Our roster:

Dubinsky - Boyle - Prust

That's because it's the Center's role to go into the corners and help out the Dmen to battle for the puck, or pick up an open man the D can't cover. Whereas as a winger, all you have to do is stay on your point man unless you are the first backchecker in the zone, then you play the Center's role.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 02-21-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote