HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Paul Martin for another struggling defender

Old
02-20-2012, 12:53 AM
SlyGuy

vCash: 500
Paul Martin for another struggling defender

Occasionally players just don't work out with certain teams for reasons other than that player's talent. Sometimes it's just not a good fit. I wonder if there is perhaps another team in the NHL with a defenseman that is struggling that would be willing to swap with the Penguins 1-for-1. Could be a deal that would work out for both teams if the players benefited from a change of scenery.

SlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:58 AM
TorontoTrades

Paul Martin is terrible and for 3 more years at 5 mill... I wouldn't even give Komisarek.

you may be able to get Wade Redden

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:59 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
How bad has Martin been?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:00 AM
shadow1

Jan Hejda, who also has three years left on his contract, is a -19 playing for the Colorado Avalanche this season. The next worst +/- defenseman on the Avalanche is Erik Johnson (-6).

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CloutierForVezina

The first person that comes to mind is obviously Keith Ballard. His game revolves around him carrying the puck up the ice (he has amazing wheels) but unfortunately that doesn't mesh well with Vancouver's passing game.

Don't think Pittsburgh wants to make that trade though. Martin was a good #1 on the Devils and has the potential to get back to that spot.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
How bad has Martin been?
This is what I wonder. He seems to get brought up alot by Pittsburgh fans. Is it a case of him being a whipping boy for the fanbase or is he actually that bad.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Yossarian54

Ballard springs to mind as a comparable, 3 more years at 4.2. He has been pretty good lately though (pre-injury). I don't watch the Pens more than once a year so I am not really au fait with Martin or his struggles.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Dark Knight
#PlayoffPush

Komisarek + Lommbardi

For

Paul Martin

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:10 AM
LyricalLyricist

Ballard and Kaberle are guys who make less and have less term. They are options.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

I was just talking to my brother tonight about this subject, who is a Pen's fan and we were thinking the same thing as well. Ballard was the first to spring to my mind as well.
Change of scenery and coaching/system styles may do them both a world of good.

Path Of The Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Ballard and Kaberle are guys who make less and have less term. They are options.
NO NO NO GOD NO

If there is one player in the entire NHL I don't want on my team it's Kaberle.

I would much rather keep Ballard who will at least battle and compete and throw some checks instead of bailing anytime contact is coming like Kaberle did even in the cup finals.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
This is what I wonder. He seems to get brought up alot by Pittsburgh fans. Is it a case of him being a whipping boy for the fanbase or is he actually that bad.
Whipping boy.

He by no means has been good, but he's not an absolute diasaster either. Outside of Letang and Niskanen I don't think I'd say that the D has played well as a whole all year, and he's been the biggest disappointment of the bunch.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:15 AM
denkiteki

Ballard might work but it does reduce the "toughness" factor on the team and it seems like we need that (at least been the topic of discussion virtually non-stop for years). But given have AV doesn't trust Ballard at all, a trade like that could make sense.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:15 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
NO NO NO GOD NO

If there is one player in the entire NHL I don't want on my team it's Kaberle.

I would much rather keep Ballard who will at least battle and compete and throw some checks instead of bailing anytime contact is coming like Kaberle did even in the cup finals.
I didn't say to vancouver. Not sure why you're getting excited.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:18 AM
High Flying Birds

No point in selling low. And Martin's value is probably at an all-time low. I think the best we can hope for is that Martin gets out of whatever funk he's in and raises his value back up through a good stretch drive and playoffs. Then Shero can look at dealing him.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:33 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Ballard might work but it does reduce the "toughness" factor on the team and it seems like we need that (at least been the topic of discussion virtually non-stop for years). But given have AV doesn't trust Ballard at all, a trade like that could make sense.
Martin will be in the same spot Ballard is in right now, playing the left side on the 3rd pairing, he's not beating out Edler or Hamhuis. At least Ballard fights, hits hard, younger and make less.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:39 AM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
I didn't say to vancouver. Not sure why you're getting excited.

I hate Kaberle so much just reading his name sets me off.

If you guys can deal for anything do it! send him down south somewhere so I never have to watch him.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:39 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Straight up for Joe Corvo.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
Straight up for Joe Corvo.
Pens fans would probably do this in a heartbeat.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Dylonus

The problem is he has no business being on the Penguins. He is a fraud. He is a product of the trap and our aggressive system makes him look like a fringe AHLer.

He could thrive in a trap-related system like Tampa.....

Paul Martin for Ryan Malone? Please?

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:59 AM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

I would rather not trade Martin for another struggling defenseman.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

No sense in making a move like that. Martin has played like a top pairing guy every year since the lockout except this one.

If he could be dealt for a good top 6 wing option before the playoffs or a good forward prospect over the summer, then that's an option that should be explored because Martin's skillset is redundant in Pittsburgh and there are a ton of good blueliners coming up through the system.

Unfortunately, the HF flea brains have trouble differentiating between an expendable asset with value and a salary dump. The idea of moving him for a different defenseman is just stupid.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoTrades View Post
Paul Martin is terrible and for 3 more years at 5 mill... I wouldn't even give Komisarek.

you may be able to get Wade Redden
He's been up and down, he hasn't been nearly as bad as say...Finger or Komisarek. He is about on par with how up and down Beauchemin was for your Leafs not so long ago and he was still "trade-able." So I suspect if Shero still wants to move him, he could. Paul tends to play a ton of minutes, maybe too much, but then again given his cap hit - you expect the guy to play that much.

It's not so much that Martin has been terrible as it has been a bad fit for both sides. The system isn't one that Martin can thrive in on a consistent basis. That's a big part of the problem, you notice it when you watch the team (as we Pens fans tend to, you can let Ferraro and people here that want so and so gone for monies dictate your thoughts and feelings about him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
The problem is he has no business being on the Penguins. He is a fraud. He is a product of the trap and our aggressive system makes him look like a fringe AHLer.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:24 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
The first person that comes to mind is obviously Keith Ballard. His game revolves around him carrying the puck up the ice (he has amazing wheels) but unfortunately that doesn't mesh well with Vancouver's passing game.

Don't think Pittsburgh wants to make that trade though. Martin was a good #1 on the Devils and has the potential to get back to that spot.
I think if Shero does move him (in the summer is the best bet, if he sees it as a necessary move), it's not for another guy signed long term, it'd be for someone that maybe has a year or two left on his contract (2 at the most). Scanning the rosters right now for non-playoff teams and playoff teams in the West, very few stand out for destinations and Shero isn't likely to pull the trigger right now. Martin has looked good in more games than he has looked bad (don't let the fair weather fans fool you). If Martin has a showing like last year's series against the Bolts, then I would probably consider listening to offers.

If and a BIG possible IF the Predators lose Suter via free agency and sign Weber, I would maybe kick the tires there to see if maybe Poile wants to add another top 4 defenseman to his team, maybe one to pair with Weber (a lefty to Weber's right hand shot). Ballard wouldn't be the right move, a struggling defenseman coming to a new system and has to play the minutes Paul used to play would probably end up being a train wreck.

I think the Blues play the system that would suit Martin the best and let him be that defenseman that people remember back in his Devils years. Unfortunately, discussing such an idea is a headache here.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:26 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post

Funny that Paul Martin was at his absolute best when Sutter (the most aggressive coach NJ had employed in years) was at the helm.

DON'T MIND THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN! BLAME THE TRAP!

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote