HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[NAS]Suter for [TOR]Schenn on Draft Day

Old
02-20-2012, 04:47 AM
Chungo

vCash: 500
[NAS]Suter for [TOR]Schenn on Draft Day

Just wondering what everyone would think about a trade involving L.Schenn going to Nashville for R.Suter. I also heard a lot of how Nashville is going to make its run this year. Also, adding Hal Gill is scary to play against Nashville... Happy I'm in the East.

The Leafs trade:
Luke Schenn

to Nashville for:
Rights to Ryan Suter
Conditional 1st 2013 (if he doesn't resign before UFA markets open)

Would this be a good draft day option?

Last edited by Chungo: 02-20-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Chungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:50 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Makes no sense for Nashville at the deadline.
Makes no sense for Toronto at the draft.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:54 AM
dirt

That first rounder is going in the wrong direction.

dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:56 AM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Makes no sense for Nashville at the deadline.
Makes no sense for Toronto at the draft.
Makes sense.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:57 AM
Man Bear Pig

Oh boy...

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:13 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chungo View Post
Just wondering what everyone would think about a trade involving L.Schenn going to Nashville for R.Suter. I also heard a lot of how Nashville is going to make its run this year. Also, adding Hal Gill is scary to play against Nashville... Happy I'm in the East.

The Leafs trade:
Luke Schenn

to Nashville for:
Ryan Suter

Of all the overvaluing of Schenn around here this is pretty bad, like they would ever throw a pick on top of Ryan Suter, I don't even care if it was a conditional 7th rounder. Even just as a pure rental the Leafs have to add here and get no protection conditional picks coming back in the other direction, much less a first rounder.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Suter is an elite defenseman, Schenn is average no way the Preds touch this.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Chungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Of all the overvaluing of Schenn around here this is pretty bad, like they would ever throw a pick on top of Ryan Suter, I don't even care if it was a conditional 7th rounder. Even just as a pure rental the Leafs have to add here and get no protection conditional picks coming back in the other direction, much less a first rounder.
Did you miss the point about it being a DRAFT DAY OPTION. This would only give the leafs the ability to sign him in a matter of 1 week. There would be no team that would trade a 22 year NHL-caliber player with high potential without a conditional pick.

All Mats got was future consideration when his rights were traded to the Canadiens.

I'll go back and edit "Rights to Ryan Suter" to avoid confusion.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:42 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
No negotiated extension? Then the Leafs are getting burned hard here.
Negotiated extension? The Preds are getting burned hard here.

Makes no sense.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:47 AM
grits207

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Suter wouldn't even be a rental. The Leafs would be giving up an important part of their future for a few days of negotiating rights for a player they would have no chance of actually signing. They would basically be giving Luke Schenn away for free.

Terrible proposal all around.

Last edited by Trebek: 02-20-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Don't call other posters "retards".
grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:49 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Did you miss the point about it being a DRAFT DAY OPTION. This would only give the leafs the ability to sign him in a matter of 1 week. There would be no team that would trade a 22 year NHL-caliber player with high potential without a conditional pick.

All Mats got was future consideration when his rights were traded to the Canadiens.

I'll go back and edit "Rights to Ryan Suter" to avoid confusion.
Alright my bad, read it as a deadline, but would you rather revisit at the draft if not at the deadline. Guess it doesn't really matter I don't think it makes sense for either side with it switching on who is getting the raw end of the deal depending on when it happened. I don't think Suter is signing in Toronto. So the Leafs come out big losers in the draft day proposal.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Ville82

So nashville gets **** and even gives the pick toronto adds next 10 1st rounders and its maybe a deal

Ville82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:56 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
Suter wouldn't even be a rental. The Leafs would be giving up an important part of their future for a few days of negotiating rights for a player they would have no chance of actually signing. They would basically be giving Luke Schenn away for free

Terrible proposal all around.
As you can see from the first series of comments it seemed like it was a deadline deal or draft deal, hence people throwing bad at the deadline, then it was edited. Not that I really care, Schenn is worth more than just one middle round pick because of his age and potential. But it seems most of Leafs nation thinks the kid walks around on Lake Ontario in his free time and should deliver all-stars with just him and a first rounder heading in the other direction.

Last edited by Trebek: 02-20-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Further edited quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:16 AM
EucaLEAFtys

The Leafs would be foolish to do something like this.

Ryan Suter is a great defenceman, no doubt about it; but if the Leafs want him, they'd be better off just trying to get him on July 1st and not risk losing two young, valuable, and affordable assets.

Way too risky. Not to mention that whoever signs him will very likely be paying through the nose for his services and that is something that the Leafs may not be able to handle when their other more pressing needs are also taken into consideration.

Last edited by EucaLEAFtys: 02-20-2012 at 06:33 AM.
EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:34 AM
RaiderDoug

As a Preds fan, i'd do it.

By the draft, Polie will probably know if Suter plans on resigning or not. If so, he'd probably already have done it.

If not, there's not much of a better option than landing a young high upside defenseman like Schenn for what amounts to something like 10 days of negotiating rights to a player you won't sign anyway.

Why does Toronto do this? I don't see anyone offering much more than a couple picks for negotiating rights, Toronto would blow the market away with that offer.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Chungo

It is an overpayment, that would only happen with a first going the other way at the trade deadline, to actually make a run that Nashville wouldn't allow. I feel that watching the Leafs this season, we are definetly missing a strong #1 defenseman that Suter would provide and what Leaf fans can only hope Schenn becomes.

I will admit that I don't watch to many Nashville games to understand what Suter brings to the table that Trotz system and Rinne performance might help over-inflate hit numbers.

To sum up, I feel the Leafs have 1 defenseman that is a #2, 6 defenseman that would be #3-4, and 1 defenseman that is a #7.

This could all be because of the style of play Ron Wilson delivers though.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:55 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:

The Leafs trade:
Luke Schenn

to Nashville for:
Rights to Ryan Suter

TO does not do it---Schenn is signed long term and suter is a soon to be UFA. For 12 days in hand on other teams--the asking price would be a lot less.

Nashville has more cap space then TO and if Suter terms are reasonable--they would sign him

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:14 AM
SIDGENO8771

Schenn, Kadri for Suter w/ a contract

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

The Leafs trade:
Luke Schenn

to Nashville for:
Rights to Ryan Suter

The bolded is my favorite part. So if he signs with the leafs on July 1st, you get Suter and the 1st?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
Schenn, Kadri for Suter w/ a contract
problem with that is, if Suter will sign a contract while he's still with Nashville.. he will be staying with Nashville.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Nashville would take this and run.

If Suter doesn't sign by the draft he'll hit free agency before signing in Nashville. That means the Preds would be either getting Schenn for free (if Suter signs in TO) or for a pick in the second half of the first round.

If Burke wants Suter, he's much better just waiting until July 1 and trying to sign him than giving up Schenn

02-20-2012, 08:20 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
problem with that is, if Suter will sign a contract while he's still with Nashville.. he will be staying with Nashville.
It would be like the Kessel deal. He agreed to an extension with the Leafs before the deal was done. So it's not really Suter with a contract, it's Suter with the agreement that he'll sign the contract as soon as he's Leafs property.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I've seen some bad Leafs proposals but this one may take the cake.

Bonzai12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:22 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

I can't see why TO would do this. The issue with signing Suter hasn't been money-- reportedly the two sides are in relative agreement about that, it's about Suter feeling like Nashville is committed\the best place to win.

I don't see why Toronto would be a more attractive destination from that perspective. Nothing against the city, team or its history-- but on-ice, Nashville is a better team year in and year out, and is likely much "closer" than Toronto

If Suter leaves Nashville, it's not to sign in Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Columbus--all places I've seen fanbases clamoring. It's Detroit or Philly.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:26 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I can't see why TO would do this. The issue with signing Suter hasn't been money-- reportedly the two sides are in relative agreement about that, it's about Suter feeling like Nashville is committed\the best place to win.

I don't see why Toronto would be a more attractive destination from that perspective. Nothing against the city, team or its history-- but on-ice, Nashville is a better team year in and year out, and is likely much "closer" than Toronto

If Suter leaves Nashville, it's not to sign in Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Columbus--all places I've seen fanbases clamoring. It's Detroit or Philly.
Nashville is certainly the better team right now, but the big question is, are they committed to spending the money required to be a winner?

Now, I'm certainly not saying that TO should be a first choice destination, but going there you at least know they're not going to skimp on spending money. And I'd like to think that a rock solid defensive dman like Suter would go a *long* way to making the Leafs a contender.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote