HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roy shows signs of his go-to persona

Old
02-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Roy shows signs of his go-to persona

Quote:
Derek Roy stood before his stall in the Sabres' dressing room long after the game ended Sunday afternoon and talked about better days earlier in his career. He could go back to the earliest days of his career and find coaches who pointed toward him as a common denominator for success.

"I was a go-to guy in Kitchener when we won the Memorial Cup my last year," Roy said. "I played in the world juniors. It was a great year. I played in Rochester and was the go-to guy right away. It was fun. ... When we lost Danny [Briere] and [Chris] Drury, I had a good season. I just tried getting better and better."

Check the record, and you'll find accuracy in his account. Roy was a dominant player while climbing the ranks and a good one in the NHL. He had 20 points in eight games in Rochester before he was summoned to the Sabres for good in 2005-06, finishing the year with 15 points in 18 playoff games.

The Sabres a year later pointed toward his success with Thomas Vanek when they decided Briere and Drury, their top two centers while reaching the conference finals in consecutive years, were expendable. Roy's response was 32 goals and 81 points in 78 games, a point total that left him ninth among NHL centers.

And when things turned sour, when he vanished in the 2009-10 playoffs against Boston, when the Sabres took off last year on an incredible second-half run and made the playoffs without him, when their scoring fell off and players looked stale this year he was the guy people pointed toward as a common denominator for failure
Quote:
The Sabres have said nothing to him about the possibility he could be moved. He claimed he didn't know his name had been mentioned in trade rumors and said he wants to stay. He disputed his reputation as a self-absorbed player who butted heads with Ruff about his defense and unwillingness to put team victories over individual achievement.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle736070.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:49 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Even if he's not traded this year, I think I'll be happy to see the guy go eventually. Something about his personality just doesn't sit well with me.

Then again, I've interacted with him a couple times in public, and he's come off like a complete ****** rag, so that could be clouding my judgement.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Even if he's not traded this year, I think I'll be happy to see the guy go eventually. Something about his personality just doesn't sit well with me.

Then again, I've interacted with him a couple times in public, and he's come off like a complete ****** rag, so that could be clouding my judgement.
I will be surprised if:

1) Roy is dealt at the deadline.

2) Roy is on the Sabres' opening night roster next season.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:04 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Can't disagree. I think they can get a better return for him in an off-season move rather than jamming something together at the deadline.

That being said, I have to thing the organization has had enough. But, we'll see.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Good. Keep it up for the next couple weeks so your value goes up.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:17 AM
CougarsSugar*

Roy is an enigma .

See , I think what happens with Derek in the end has many variables involved.

I think whatever happens to come about with him will be intriguing though.

CougarsSugar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:20 AM
McTank

He is extremely talented so it is a good point what if he's just having a bad year and he gets back to ppg totals next year? I mean I'm pretty sure no one wanted him gone before this season

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
He is extremely talented so it is a good point what if he's just having a bad year and he gets back to ppg totals next year? I mean I'm pretty sure no one wanted him gone before this season
It wasn't as many as now, but there were certainly some people who wanted him gone. The main reason lots of people didn't want him traded is because there's absolutely nobody behind him in the depth chart.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It wasn't as many as now, but there were certainly some people who wanted him gone. The main reason lots of people didn't want him traded is because there's absolutely nobody behind him in the depth chart.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you've written the season off and think you can get a better deal at the trade deadline rather than the offseason. I doubt the FO is there yet, but one more week to go...

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:29 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Ya that's true but wouldn't tht still be a problem? I think it's unlikely we upgrade Roy at center which some think is an easy trade to make

Old
02-20-2012, 10:32 AM
sabres99

I don't want Roy to be traded, the last few weeks he's had some games where he starts looking like his old self (before he tore his quad). Let him get his confidence back, get his legs back under him and I see one hell of a year from Derek next year. I'm sure someone will pull out the old, oh he's in the last year of his contract so he tried harder.

A fully healthy, confident Derek Roy is the best player on this team.

sabres99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you've written the season off and think you can get a better deal at the trade deadline rather than the offseason. I doubt the FO is there yet, but one more week to go...
I have no doubt they can upgrade the position during the off-season. The deadline might be iffy, but there are definitely moves that can be made after the season is over. I have no issue moving Roy out at any point if there's a solid deal to be made.

Quote:
Ya that's true but wouldn't tht still be a problem? I think it's unlikely we upgrade Roy at center which some think is an easy trade to make
It would be, but like I said, there's definitely options available during the off-season. Clinging to Roy simply because he's our only real center option is a bad move to make.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres99 View Post
I don't want Roy to be traded, the last few weeks he's had some games where he starts looking like his old self (before he tore his quad). Let him get his confidence back, get his legs back under him and I see one hell of a year from Derek next year. I'm sure someone will pull out the old, oh he's in the last year of his contract so he tried harder.

I agree with mainly all of that.

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:54 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I've had enough of Roy. He's a talented center for sure, but I have simply seen enough of him. I've felt that way for a couple years now. Even if it means get a slightly less productive center to take his place.

I don't care when we move him, just as long as he's not on the regular season roster in October.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:54 AM
CougarsSugar*

If Roy could grow up and mature and stop with his "Johnny night life" mentality than his next team if it is not here will have themselves a very good hockey player.

CougarsSugar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:01 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
I mean I'm pretty sure no one wanted him gone before this season
I did.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

It's all about you, Derek .

Connor McDavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
i've wanted him gone for 3 years

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Jamie Walker

i would rather have Roy here unless you get an offer that is too good (top 5 pick), or something similar.

Jamie Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:

He couldn't hold Vanek or Pominville's jock when those two are playing their best.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Yeah in terms of peak ability Roy's only their best center and most consistent player over the past 5 years.

Connor McDavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:35 AM
McTankel

I know to much about his night life to respect the guy on the ice. But that cannot be discussed on here. But I can tell you there is no way he can be in great shape.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:36 AM
McTank

Lol well obviously some people did, but probably like 10% of us, now like 95% of us do

Old
02-20-2012, 11:38 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I know to much about his night life to respect the guy on the ice. But that cannot be discussed on here. But I can tell you there is no way he can be in great shape.
Those things aren't exactly trade secrets. His reputation precedes him.