QMJHL to expand by two for 05-06

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2004, 04:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I thought it was the AHL screwing St. John's more than Toronto was. It was the AHL who kept realigining the league and kept putting St. John's, the Eastern most city on the continent, in the western conference, thus running up insane travels costs.

The article on TSN said the Q desperately wants a team back in Montreal, and it also wants another team in the States, I would think either in Montpielier or Burlington in Vermont.

Old
11-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I just saw on the Score ticker that the Q is set to announce Wednesday or Thursday that the league will be in Saint John and St. John's next year

TSN also reporting it : http://www.tsn.ca/chl/news_story.asp?id=106468

Old
12-02-2004, 05:02 PM
HFXMooseHabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgallant
Names for expansion teams?

St. John's Capitals???

Saint John Flames???

After the Flames pulling out of Saint John I don't know if it would be appropriate or not... there might be some bad blood there... Not sure what else they'd go by though... With the Mooseheads in Halifax, that name is out (Moosehead's brewery is in Saint John)... They could go with Alpines (kind of Moosehead beer only available in the maritimes) but the Moncton Wildcats used to be the Alpines for a year or two and that name was a flop... Saint John, to my knowledge, doesn't have much else to go by... They may just have to pull out a cool hip sounding name... I can't think of any names that have any relevance to Saint John that would work...
I've read St.John's Gale and Saint John Surge are possibilities. I hope not though, not a fan of non-plural nicknames.

Old
12-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Regardless of the choice of cities, isn't anybody worried a little bit about the dilution of talent that additional QMJHL expansion would represent? Right now, there is a definite gap between the Q and the other two CHL leagues in terms of competitiveness and player depth/quality. While the Q may be the more entertaining product from a fan perspective, it still will suffer some effects of playing lower calibre hockey than the other leagues, won't it? The gap right now is there, but surmountable. But with continued expansion...

Old
12-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Jacques Strappe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgallant
Actually, just thinking about it now, don't be suprised if they end up being the Saint John Vitos... Vitos is a pizza chain in the area that has been a part of the hockey scene in Saint John for years... the senior A team they used to have in Saint John was called the Vitos and as far as I know, Vitos had a stake in the Flames when they were in town too... I wouldn't be shocked to see them be the Vitos... the name kind of sucks, but it has some relevance to the city at least...
What about the Saint John Rivermen? the Saint John River is the longest in the province and has a history of logging...

Old
12-03-2004, 04:15 AM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Regardless of the choice of cities, isn't anybody worried a little bit about the dilution of talent that additional QMJHL expansion would represent? Right now, there is a definite gap between the Q and the other two CHL leagues in terms of competitiveness and player depth/quality. While the Q may be the more entertaining product from a fan perspective, it still will suffer some effects of playing lower calibre hockey than the other leagues, won't it? The gap right now is there, but surmountable. But with continued expansion...
That was my initial reaction as well. Its great for those two cities but this is only going to further dilute the talent in the Q. The only way to help offset this would be to grant the Q more territorial rights over American players. (though I can't see the O supporting that idea) Or I guess they could allow Q teams to have 3 Euro Imports or maybe an extra OA?

Old
12-06-2004, 08:19 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by =CH=
I've read St.John's Gale and Saint John Surge are possibilities. I hope not though, not a fan of non-plural nicknames.
The Gale would be a brutal choice. I'm not much for the Caps, but even that is better than Gale.

On a stadium-related note, St. John's Sports and Entertainment (ie city hall) lost the bid to local businessman Derm Dobben. Since the city controls Mile One, they are now saying (led by mayor Andy Wells) that they "won't subsidize junior hockey" by letting Dobben have the building on his terms. If this isn't resolved, Dobben has said that the Glacier in Mount Pearl could be an option. In the end it has to be out of Mile One; the Glacier is smaller and out of the way. I just hope the public wrangling between Wells and Dobben doesn't get too stupid.

Old
12-07-2004, 01:39 AM
alecfromtherock

Andy Wells is not the villain in this case, St. Johnís Sports and Entertainment Chairman Keith Coombs is the thorn in hockeyís side.

Andy put it best in his quote Ďhockey is a pain in the assí(from a city POV)

The city has lost over 5 million dollars with the baby leafs for 14 years, they built a new stadium and convection centre for 30 million and itís Tennant is leaving just after 3 years.

However the behaviour of Keith Coombs is much like a child that can not accept that they lost, a sore loser. The fact is that when the leafs are gone next year, the SJSE will be disbanded as they will no longer have a team or stadium thus a use.

If the city will not lease the stadium to Derm and Craig Dobbin at a reasonable rate then they will take their franchise elsewhere.

Mount Pearl is not an option, Corner Brook on the other hand has the Canada games Pepsi centre at their disposal that only needs minor renovations to get up to the 3,500 minium stadium capacity for a new franchise. It is interesting in that the Glacier in Mount Pearl was built by Derm Dobbins developing company in the first place(under 1,000 seats currently)

Corner Brook and surrounding area have 65,000 people and I am sure that 3000-4000 people a game in the Pepsi Centre could be reached. Corner Brook is already being looked at for a future expansion team from the Q.

It would be a sad twist of faith if Corner Brook ends up getting a franchise next year because St. Johnís would not sign a lease with the franchise owner Derm Dobbin.

With the municipal elections set for 2005 any St Johnís councillor that blocked a private interest in getting a junior team in Mile One will get ousted.

This has already exceeded stupid, we have Keith Combs saying from a taxpayers perspective it might be cheaper to have Mile One tennant-less.

On the issue of a subsidy we paid the Toronto maple leafs 1.7 million dollars a year. Even if Dobbin wants a subsidy(has not indicated that he does) it would need to be far less then 1.7 million dollars. Players donít get paid that much in junior hockey and they do not stay at the Hilton on their road trips, more like Holiday Inn.

Newfoundland has many midget and junior teams across the province only 20 or so are away playing hockey. Many players do not want to leave Newfoundland even if they have the ability to play hockey on the QMJHL or the OHL. That all changes now that somewhere in Newfoundland(St. Johnís or Corner Brook) will have a major junior team.

Expansion teams can have 5 overagers the first year, 4 the second year.., until they reach the league limit. The first and second pick in the midget draft will go to the expansion teams, same goes for the European draft. If team A gets the first in the midget, then they will get the second pick in the alternative draft.

Here is a question that needs answering: You are a overage player in Newfoundland and have never played for anyone but your towns team (not major junior or anything simular)

Should those overagers as defined above be allow to play for the Newfoundland team without costing the team some form of draft pick?

From a fan draw perspective that would be 5 local players on the Newfoundland Team for its first year as an expansion team.

If some of the homegrown players have some talent and prevent the team from going 0-80 its first year all the better.

I hope St. Johnís gets its act together so that I will not have to drive 8 hours to see a junior game in Corner Brook.

Then again since Craig Dobbin is the CEO of CHC perhaps he will fly Avalon residents to Corner Brook that want season tickets (donít sent the Sea Kings Craig)

Old
12-07-2004, 06:28 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecfromtherock
Andy Wells is not the villain in this case, St. Johnís Sports and Entertainment Chairman Keith Coombs is the thorn in hockeyís side.

Andy put it best in his quote Ďhockey is a pain in the assí(from a city POV)

The city has lost over 5 million dollars with the baby leafs for 14 years, they built a new stadium and convection centre for 30 million and itís Tennant is leaving just after 3 years.

However the behaviour of Keith Coombs is much like a child that can not accept that they lost, a sore loser. The fact is that when the leafs are gone next year, the SJSE will be disbanded as they will no longer have a team or stadium thus a use.

If the city will not lease the stadium to Derm and Craig Dobbin at a reasonable rate then they will take their franchise elsewhere.

Mount Pearl is not an option, Corner Brook on the other hand has the Canada games Pepsi centre at their disposal that only needs minor renovations to get up to the 3,500 minium stadium capacity for a new franchise. It is interesting in that the Glacier in Mount Pearl was built by Derm Dobbins developing company in the first place(under 1,000 seats currently)

Corner Brook and surrounding area have 65,000 people and I am sure that 3000-4000 people a game in the Pepsi Centre could be reached. Corner Brook is already being looked at for a future expansion team from the Q.

It would be a sad twist of faith if Corner Brook ends up getting a franchise next year because St. Johnís would not sign a lease with the franchise owner Derm Dobbin.

With the municipal elections set for 2005 any St Johnís councillor that blocked a private interest in getting a junior team in Mile One will get ousted.

This has already exceeded stupid, we have Keith Combs saying from a taxpayers perspective it might be cheaper to have Mile One tennant-less.

On the issue of a subsidy we paid the Toronto maple leafs 1.7 million dollars a year. Even if Dobbin wants a subsidy(has not indicated that he does) it would need to be far less then 1.7 million dollars. Players donít get paid that much in junior hockey and they do not stay at the Hilton on their road trips, more like Holiday Inn.

Newfoundland has many midget and junior teams across the province only 20 or so are away playing hockey. Many players do not want to leave Newfoundland even if they have the ability to play hockey on the QMJHL or the OHL. That all changes now that somewhere in Newfoundland(St. Johnís or Corner Brook) will have a major junior team.

Expansion teams can have 5 overagers the first year, 4 the second year.., until they reach the league limit. The first and second pick in the midget draft will go to the expansion teams, same goes for the European draft. If team A gets the first in the midget, then they will get the second pick in the alternative draft.

Here is a question that needs answering: You are a overage player in Newfoundland and have never played for anyone but your towns team (not major junior or anything simular)

Should those overagers as defined above be allow to play for the Newfoundland team without costing the team some form of draft pick?

From a fan draw perspective that would be 5 local players on the Newfoundland Team for its first year as an expansion team.

If some of the homegrown players have some talent and prevent the team from going 0-80 its first year all the better.

I hope St. Johnís gets its act together so that I will not have to drive 8 hours to see a junior game in Corner Brook.

Then again since Craig Dobbin is the CEO of CHC perhaps he will fly Avalon residents to Corner Brook that want season tickets (donít sent the Sea Kings Craig)
You're right; Combs is looking like the fool in this so far. Dobbin and the city will be sitting down in the next couple of days to discuss terms. I can't believe that it won't get done, because it is unfathomable that Mile One could be cheaper being tenantless.

Old
12-08-2004, 12:14 AM
Bobo LaTuque

[QUOTE=sec17]St John, NB is pretty much a lock for one of the teams. I find it difficult they'd make the mistake of going back to Montreal again.

Gee whiz. I can see Americans making this mistake, but Canadians? Especially maritimers? It's SAINT JOHN New Brunswick. St. John's is in Newfoundland.

Anyway, It will be good to get a team back in Harbour Station; I really miss the Flames.

As to the name of the new team, I suppose "Flames" could still be used, but maybe with a different logo. The name makes about as much sense as anything else, because of "The Great Fire" of 1877 which destroyed virtually all of the downtown and South End. I mean, after all, the Atlanta Flames were called the Flames because of the burning of Atlanta in the U.S. Civil War.

Another idea might be Saint John Fog (it's about the second foggiest city in Canada, but the name does suck); Saint John Tide (or something like it, due to the very high tides in the harbor); Saint John Mariners, or... the Saint John Loyalists, since the first great influx of immigrants was the Loyalists in 1783. But... the name still sucks.

One last option: The "It's Saint John Dang It!"

"Bobo LaTuque"
Saint John, NB

Last edited by Bobo LaTuque: 12-08-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old
12-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Sabrebat

I believe I read that the front runners for the St. John's team name are: IceFlows, Icebergs and Gale. None of which I like.

I would rather see the team with a plural sounding name: Shamrocks, Merchants, Capitals, etc.

But if they have to go with a non-plural name I like:
Artillary or Rock.

Old
12-10-2004, 11:58 AM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Two more teams!! Does this mean they need players? This could be a good opportunity for some kids to have a junior career. I few boys I know came pretty close to signing with Everett of the WHL when they expanded. One of them is now in Cape Breton and the other played in Moose Jaw last year.

This is good for Canada's game for sure. I hope it goes well.

Closed Thread