HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps Canes 730pm in Carolina

Old
02-21-2012, 05:51 AM
artilector

vCash: 500
Maybe they can hire Guardiola if he decides to look for a new challenge

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

After this I don't even know what question to ask

Raikkonen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:48 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its so early in his coaching career, why is it a priority to know if I have criticisms of him? Its hard to differentiate everything - calls he makes, or is it George. If Dale came in and played his exact London game, we could say this is all his work.

At the end of the day, Dale fale is really George fale. Dale is his guy. But fixating and phishing for anything Dale makes you look short sighted. All should know if the kingdom is crumbling after this one loss, its George's kingdom, not Dale's. He is basically on a 6 month tryout contract, is he not?
the fire is burning all around you, my friend.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:06 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
After this I don't even know what question to ask
This. It is hard to understand the psyche of the team after this performance.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:16 AM
bgroban

Last night was the first Caps' game of the season that I missed. After reading the thread, went on NHL.com to see the highlights.

Easily our worst performance of the season. So much suck on this team.

I loved Dale the player - not sure how much I love Dale the coach. At least not with this bunch.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:18 AM
bgroban

Just to add - if the Caps do not make the playoffs, which is a strong possibility at this point, Teddy is going to have to do some serious damage control re: raising ticket prices 8%. DC is a fickle sports town. Just as fast as those Verizon seats were filled... they can become empty.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Hale Dunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
The team was at its best when Feds was its leadership and I think he would run the appropriate offensive system, given his admiration for Bruce when he was here.
The game has changed, that is why they suck. And injuries. The 08/09 style doesnt fly anymore, anywhere. Penalties per game are waaay down, defense interferes and holds at their lesiure, refs do nothing except wave off goals for incidental contact and phantom kicking motions.

Capitals do not have the players able or willing to play 2012 NHL hockey.

BB was not the problem (contrary to what most here were claiming, Ana is 18-11-5 and 5 losses came in the 2 weeks after he was hired so ~18-6-5 since) DH is not the problem, GMGM is the problem only in the sense he has not been ahead of the curve, I still think he is a competent deal maker.

Still with Green and NB this team would be 5-10 pts higher in the standings.

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:49 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the fire is burning all around you, my friend.
The high drama drama after a single loss sure has you in your element. Hey your big day is coming up on Sunday!

In the end, it's only hockey, and I am just along for the ride, optimistic we do well.

And if there is a fire burning around anyone, it's George and you know it. You can fixate on Dale but again, its very short sighted after the rise and fall of the team before Dale came on board. It is THE time of year for GM's to do their thing, not coaches.

Only, George handcuffed himself last summer, now didn't he. He now has to give to get, when in the past, he only likes to get. He covets his guys so that means roster trades are rare to happen.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-21-2012 at 08:58 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:55 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Seems to me its time to stop forcing the players to play a style that doesn't suit them. Sure it can be said the '08-'09 style won't fly today, but it has to be better then what we were subjected to last night.

So go back to that old style, play this year out, trade away players like Vokoun and Wideman for prospect/picks, and rebuild/adjust the roster under the direction of a new GM, HC, or both and move forward.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Grudy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Sorry, no. They need an experienced coach.
I think experience is slightly overrated.

Julien coached two other teams before taking the Bruins to the Cup last year. He had only spent a full season in Montreal pre-lockout before being hired in Boston, and he spent three years in Boston before winning the Cup.

Quenneville spent years toiling in St. Louis and Colorado before getting onboard in Chicago, to finally win his first Cup in his second year with the Blackhawks.

Bylsma managed to win a Cup in his first half a season with the Penguins.

Babcock had two years pre-lockout in Anaheim before taking the Red Wings to the Cup in his second season.

Carlyle won the Cup in his second season in Anaheim, without prior NHL coaching experience.

Laviolette was in his second season, first full in Carolina after coaching the Islanders for two years.

I think it is more important to have the right man for the job. Sadly, I think this goes back to the reason Boudreau was fired. Boudreau criticized the team by saying that he couldn't teach heart. And yet last night's game showed exactly that the makeup of this team lacks heart.

Grudy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:05 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Seems to me its time to stop forcing the players to play a style that doesn't suit them. Sure it can be said the '08-'09 style won't fly today, but it has to be better then what we were subjected to last night.

So go back to that old style, play this year out, trade away players like Vokoun and Wideman for prospect/picks, and rebuild/adjust the roster under the direction of a new GM, HC, or both and move forward.
I think those are solid moves from my view. If we are gonna lose games at least we can be exciting about it. We are just not built to be a trapping team and the fans have come to expect some excitement.

This junk hockey they are playing is just downright brutal to watch.

A rebuild is something that is needed in my book.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:06 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post

They quit playing fun and gun for two reasons. 1, it didn't work in the postseason. 2, it stopped working in the regular season (see October-December 2010 -with a fully healthy squad).

This team sucks. They are stupid, lazy and fragile. Systems changes might help, but they have already proven not to.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 02-21-2012 at 09:29 AM.
BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:42 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I contend fun and gun did work in the playoffs. We won two series with it, sure its was the Rags but who cares. And we went to game 7 3 times with it and only got blown out one time (only 2 healthy D), Philly and Montreal we almost won. Tampa was our big flop. I think it was because Tampa was well prepared for what we were going to do, and we didn't adjust. We didn't go turn to the trap that had done some damage in the winter, we didn't try changing goalies, we didn't take out Bergenheim, we just... did nothing for lack of a better word. We just ran it aground.

I think Bruce and his run and gun was close. Of course BB was riding Ovi's coattails a bit, but he recognized who buttered his bread and deserves full credit for letting the horses run, something poor ole Hanlon never even considered. BB was just too slow to adjust for my liking. Too slow to try an aggressive PK. Trying to matching lines. Ovi and Green for the full 2 every PP. Quick to yank his number 1 but slow to yank his backup, a huge mistake. Even as it was easy to see Varly coming to earth.

The game has changed some. There are even less penalties minimal whistles, nary a 4 on 4, less offense, amazingly. Boy the visionaries really ****ed up thinking they were going to make the game more exciting post lockout. Regular season hockey has never been more boring.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Fun and gun did work when they got superior goaltending.

As soon as it stopped and as soon as they couldn't score on the PP, they lost.

Experience in general is overrated. Though, the right experience can be useful. However, as we've seen, it is an important factor, and I rather have a guy at the wheel who knows what's going on and might have worked with a star or two before he comes in.

Obviously, it isn't the end all, but I rather not go the route of bringing in someone who has never been behind a NHL bench again.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:07 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Which all goes back to poor development. Selling soul to the devil worked. And when that one method goes away, there's been hell to pay.

And as I said many times I don't fault BB for it personally, but I do blame him for his part. He was a first time coach and set himself up for success. He did right by himself. At least now his team isn't in their young, impressionable phase. And BB has surely learned a lot about himself.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:11 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The high drama drama after a single loss sure has you in your element. .
you havent noticed? its 5 loses out of 6 games. 6 out of 8. since a 3 game win streak they are now 4w and 9L. its not just the one loss. the one loss is clearly a low point and a sign that things are backsliding at a dangerous rate.

btw...how is that line matching working?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:13 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

This team is going through two massive slides under two different coaches.... Hmmmmm.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Fleury4ever

I mean this seriously: why are so many folks in DC wimps about firing people?

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
I mean this seriously: why are so many folks in DC wimps about firing people?
They are afraid of the Illuminati conspiracy

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote