HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there a chance we blow the Division lead?

Old
02-20-2012, 08:02 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Reminds me a lot of Chicago last year.

Chia needs to do something. I think a move needs to be made -- if for no other reason, just to change the way the team is thinking.
Alright

Let's trade Thomas to Tampa for Marty

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Alright

Let's trade Thomas to Tampa for Marty
If you were serious I'd be "in." I would absolutely love to have Martin St. Louis in a Bruins jersey.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:05 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
If you were serious I'd be "in." I would absolutely love to have Martin St. Louis in a Bruins jersey.
I am serious

and it'll never happen.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
DukeNukem

Are you guys hearing footsteps?
This is gonna be a lot of fun.

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Is there a chance? Yes there is. There is always a ''chance''...

There is also a "chance" that the B's end up 0-25 in their last 25 to miss the playoffs.

Highly unlikely in both cases.

Say the Bruins play only .500 nonsense for the rest of the season (25pts in their last 25 games), they will end up with 97pts.

To get 98pts:

Ott needs 14-7
Tor needs 17-6
Buf needs 20-2-1
Mtl needs 20-2

B's are a lock for 2nd place IMO as they won't be able to reach NYR and 1st place and none of Flo/Wsh/Ott/Tor will be able to catch us even if we play only 500 hockey the last 25 games...

So, still worried?

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:08 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

I never would have predicted Ottawa to be the clear #2 team in the division. I figured Buffalo would be right on our rear end with Toronto as a solid third, the Habs in 4th and Ottawa at the bottom.

Although I can't say I'm complaining about how its panned out. Ottawa's never really bothered me the same way Montreal, Toronto, and Buffalo have.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Cold Bru

Thomas owns Ottawa at Scotiabank Place.

Cold Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:25 AM
westernhome

Karlsson is looking very scary, and Ottawa seems to have no trouble putting the puck in lately

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:51 AM
ODAAT

I don`t know what it is, not sure why I feel this way but.......last year at this time, I had "some" faith in this team, it`s ingrained in me to support the boys but to try and do so without the rose coloured glasses (hard to do at times), but deep down, I really thought that if they even secured a playoff spot (which was no guarantee at this time last year) I suspected they would be easy pickins for whomever they played.

Boy was I wrong.

This year, with the current injuries, with the terribly inconsistent play we have now watched for close to 60 days, I`m not nearly as concerned nor worried?? I don`t get it, is it because there`s a Cup in Boston after so many years of fandom for me?? I don`t think so, I think for me that it`s a real belief that with the boys in that locker room, injuries or not, with that veteran presence and solid coaching, something will give, and I will wager it`ll be soon (can`t happen too quickly).

Any way you cut it, I just don`t have half the concerns about this team, it`s chances heading towards the playoffs, and what success they may have in the playoffs.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:31 AM
BruinsFan64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Bru View Post
Thomas owns Ottawa at Scotiabank Place.
Imagine Ottawa having him play there 41 times a year.

BruinsFan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:37 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I can see Ottawa pass the Bruins but Boston has to many games in hand and its not like they sucked last two games- thought eye ball test they could have won both games and certainly got points

Love the Bruins but it would be kind of funny to think the Sens the last week of Feb or first week of March are ahead of Boston based on the preseason mag rankings and how bad everyone thought the Sens would be
Don't count me in here, I picked Ottawa as one of the surprise teams in the East, said they would be in the PO hunt right to the end.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan64 View Post
The B's could easily go 1 -5 or 2 -4 on this road trip and with Ottawa wnning 6 - 0 today and only 2 point behind, anything is possible here. The B's have 3 games in hand so they really need to win those to put some distance between them and Ottawa again.

The way they are playing right now (Boston) it will not be easy.
4 games in hand.

Neely2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
I never would have predicted Ottawa to be the clear #2 team in the division. I figured Buffalo would be right on our rear end with Toronto as a solid third, the Habs in 4th and Ottawa at the bottom.

Although I can't say I'm complaining about how its panned out. Ottawa's never really bothered me the same way Montreal, Toronto, and Buffalo have.
Agreed, but I'm sure that a playoff series against Ottawa would change that.

Old
02-21-2012, 04:18 PM
dtimmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Is there a chance? Yes there is. There is always a ''chance''...

There is also a "chance" that the B's end up 0-25 in their last 25 to miss the playoffs.

Highly unlikely in both cases.

Say the Bruins play only .500 nonsense for the rest of the season (25pts in their last 25 games), they will end up with 97pts.

To get 98pts:

Ott needs 14-7
Tor needs 17-6
Buf needs 20-2-1
Mtl needs 20-2

B's are a lock for 2nd place IMO as they won't be able to reach NYR and 1st place and none of Flo/Wsh/Ott/Tor will be able to catch us even if we play only 500 hockey the last 25 games...

So, still worried?
Yes ... yes, I am still worried. The B's playing .500 is not a guarentee by a long shot!

and I can definitely see Ottawa going 14-7. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's far from impossible.

dtimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
missingchicklet

We won't blow the division lead. We are outshooting teams big time and playing hard. Things will start going our way.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizman View Post
If the Senators win today (up 3-0 after 1) over the Islanders, they will be 2 points behind but the B's hold 4 games in hand. I have a feeling this Saturday's game in Ottawa is gonna be huge.
just using raw math it would be very very difficult to blow this lead but not impossible

ottawa has played 61 games with 70 points. assuming they continue at their current pace that would give them around 24 points or so in their remaining 21 games not adjust for strength of schedule or increased preasure down the stretch drive effecting cinderella teams more usual then it effects vet teams.

ottawa has 10 points in its past 10 games.... which is a worst success rate then they had earler in the season before the playoff race got hot.

toronto is in ever worst shape to overtake us

we are sitting with 72 points in 57 games. even if we suck for the next 25 games and only get 25 points we will still have 97 points

so we have to massively suck to get as low as 97 points.. ottawa must play the best hockey of their season to get above 94 points. we are battle tested with good playoff record now 3 years running and ottawa has never traditionally been able to handle pressure hockey

if we did blow this lead... it would be a collapse comparable to our lose to philly in the second round there imho

cant see florida or washington passing us for second either for logical reasons too.

and cant see us catching ny for first seed. so i think we are locked into second seed.

all that is important now is to try to get us playing winning playoff hockey... get our guys healthy... get our guys motivated and on the game plan again.. maybe adress a weakness or two through trade

but whether we win 18 games of the next 25 or only 12, it isnt likely going to move us out of second seed either way

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

maybe a more intresting thought is whether we want ottawa in the first round or not?

i could easily see ottawa miss the playoffs cause anderson is not very consistient and their leadership has never been good at crunch time

i think philly/pittsburgh are bound to finish the season strong? arent they? and new jersey has their scorers all scoring now... so lets say none of these three fall off the face of the earth...

then likely its toronto/ottawa/winnpeg/washington/florida battling it out to be our potential first round opponent.

the only team here i worry about at all is washington. but which one do i fear the least if i was ranking them in order?

seems almost a guarantee that even playing the way we are right this moment... we are headed to the second round.

philly/pittsburgh scare me alot if we cant get our acts together... but if we do then neither should be able to touch us when we are playing our A game

which takes us maybe to the final 4 and probably the showdown with NY... and NY is scary scary good right now. if they are healthy and strengthen themselves at all during this deadline then we might be underdogs in this matchup even at our full strength

i really want back to back cup wins though. im not worried abotu anyone in the east beating us in 7 games if we can get our pp working... keep our goaltenders healthy... get the rest of the team reasonably healthy... and get back onto juliens game plan

i know we cant work our butts off all 82 games, but we need to be doing it as the season winds down now so we can hit the playoffs running with our confidence at full strength

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:48 PM
howaryuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I don`t know what it is, not sure why I feel this way but.......last year at this time, I had "some" faith in this team, it`s ingrained in me to support the boys but to try and do so without the rose coloured glasses (hard to do at times), but deep down, I really thought that if they even secured a playoff spot (which was no guarantee at this time last year) I suspected they would be easy pickins for whomever they played.

Boy was I wrong.

This year, with the current injuries, with the terribly inconsistent play we have now watched for close to 60 days, I`m not nearly as concerned nor worried?? I don`t get it, is it because there`s a Cup in Boston after so many years of fandom for me?? I don`t think so, I think for me that it`s a real belief that with the boys in that locker room, injuries or not, with that veteran presence and solid coaching, something will give, and I will wager it`ll be soon (can`t happen too quickly).

Any way you cut it, I just don`t have half the concerns about this team, it`s chances heading towards the playoffs, and what success they may have in the playoffs.
I share the same sentiment. The reasons above make sense, but it may also be how time and time again this team has pulled themselves up from the clutch of failure. There were some dismal times last year and they pulled it together, and who can forget how the series against the habs and nucks started? I recall it was but two years ago when the team was in a 10 game winless swoon and yet came so close to the conference finals. I can't ever count this team out and believe they will pull it out again.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

If CJ keeps starting TT every game then I'd say that there is a good chance that Ottawa will catch us.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:40 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
So in 20 days, the Sens have made us use up 2 of our games in hand, but are still 2 points back....Interesting.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:43 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Bruins play Tues, Thurs and Sat and the Sens play Weds, Fri and Sat, so we will still have our 2 games in hand this time next week...

Wondering what the pt situation will be,,,

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:08 PM
rocketdan9

worst case we make 7th place. With the way we started plus all the injuries we are having, i would take a 7th spot any day. And in theory when we get all of our guys back by the 1st round, we will be hard to beat, just like Dec.

Seguin is also on another level.

Best case we hang on for 2nd. But with more injuries today , and with a less than talented skill level down in providence, i can't feel to great about hanging on. Or at least it will be very tough.

Bruins have gone through hell and back with last years championship run. First losing 2 at home to montreal , then winning in ot, then overcoming two game 7's vs Tampa and Canucks. I have faith in our team in the playoffs home adv or not, as long as we have everyone back.

rocketdan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:10 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
worst case we make 7th place. With the way we started plus all the injuries we are having, i would take a 7th spot any day. And in theory when we get all of our guys back by the 1st round, we will be hard to beat, just like Dec.

Best case we hang on for 2nd. But with more injuries today , and with a less than talented skill level down in providence, i can't feel to great about hanging on. Or at least it will be very tough.

Bruins have gone through hell and back with last years championship run. First losing 2 at home to montreal , then winning in ot, then overcoming two game 7's vs Tampa and Canucks. I have faith in our team in the playoffs, as long as we have everyone back.
QFT

SpokedLightning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post

Bruins have gone through hell and back with last years championship run. First losing 2 at home to montreal , then winning in ot, then overcoming two game 7's vs Tampa and Canucks. I have faith in our team in the playoffs home adv or not, as long as we have everyone back.
Not to mention what they did in the spring of 2010 - they were underdogs against Buffalo and they came up big, and they took 3 straight from the heavily favored (end eventual Stanley Cup final participants) Flyers, until the injuries finally caught up with them. I don't question this team's heart and ability to come through in April and May one bit.

I just question their health at the moment.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:51 PM
bruinmann77

give the sens credit for hanging in w/o their goalie

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote