HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 03:30 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 500
Kopitar needs to grow some balls!

Old
02-20-2012, 03:30 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Where's the Richards criticism?
At least when you watch a game you see him getting the puck to the front of the net and not just back to the point.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:31 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
So let me get this straight, the other night Doughty carried the puck right into the goal crease and management is ok with him doing that, but not Kopitar? Got it.
Loki attacks the Net and Center ice way more than Kopitar does.

That is disturbing.

Old
johnjm22

Richards registers 1 even strength point, for every 38 minutes of even strength ice time he gets. Simmonds did better than that when he was here while playing in the bottom 6.

The good version of Mike Richards produces regardless. We're not getting that version. Richards should be getting blasted. The honeymoon is over. He was brought here to be a difference maker, not "do the little things." How bout he does the "big things" every once in awhile?

Old
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Problem is I do not see a potential trade that would make the Kings better. Bang for your buck what's better than Brown? When he is only 1 of 4 skilled forwards on a team, it's not his fault. Add 2 top 6 wingers and the Brown hate subsides, as does the Kopitar hate.
Right?

I am not turning apologist for these guys at all, they HAVE to step up their game, but it's really not fair, and pretty discouraging to some of them I am sure, that when they have off nights, or bad stretches EVERYTHING rides on it.

I mean do people get on David Krejci when he has a 8-9 game pointless streak? Maybe they mention it but it's not a big deal. Why? Cause Seguin, Lucic, Kelly, Bergeron etc etc are there to pick up the slack.

It's tough enough mentally that these guys grip the sticks a little bit when that streak starts hitting 9-10, but then they have the entire offense riding on them because we have a bottom....hell, a bottom 9 that isn't capable of scoring. If that doesn't add to the tension and tightness you are grippin the stick with already I don't know what does.

Old
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
So let me get this straight, the other night Doughty carried the puck right into the goal crease and management is ok with him doing that, but not Kopitar? Got it.
Seriously. It isn't coaching or the "system". It's a mindset, an attitude. Sutter doesn't tell Kopitar not to take the puck hard to the net. He needs to figure out that he is capable of imposing himself more on the game than he currently is. Hopefully he figures it out soon.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
pretty sure if our offense wasn't last TM would have frowned on that play.
Absolutely sure you are wrong.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Richards registers 1 even strength point, for every 38 minutes of even strength ice time he gets. Simmonds did better than that when he was here while playing in the bottom 6.

The good version of Mike Richards produces regardless. We're not getting that version. Richards should be getting blasted. The honeymoon is over. He was brought here to be a difference maker, not "do the little things." How bout he does the "big things" every once in awhile?
"The honeymoon is over" ???

He is on game 51 of his career here. And on a team that ****ing sucks. Do we want to be like Columbus and shop the guy we just got out already?

Gotta be patient. His scoring will come.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
They're definitely not dramatic, and they definitely are true, but it's more demand of the top players than we ever heard from Murray. As damacles said, Murray handled those two with kid gloves. They were never part of Murray's flawed accountability system.
To be honest, not that I'm really defending Murray, he kinda of did call out the 1st liners. Williams was in the dog house before he worked his way out (guess he's back there now). He was constantly trying to "get Kopitar going." I think that's Coach code for Kopitar's playing like crap. He talked about Brown and Gagne needing to play better. DD, JJ, hell everyone except Quick was mentioned nearly daily during our "death of offense" run.

Murray wasn't ever as direct as Sutter but he didn't hide things all that much. He was just more "coach cliche" then Sutter.

My biggest problem is we don't know what's the problem. Coaching, system, and culture isn't an answer. We had nearly a decade of teams with 2 or 3 top-6 players and then lots of AHL all-stars that had better offense then this. Hell, last year we had a nice average NHL offense and how the heck can we have dropped to the bottom of the NHL while adding 3 20-30 goal scorers? That's the biggest issue. It's not talent... it's what? Magic?

It's just amazing .. Makes me look at a some of those crazy over the top trades and wonder if that's the way to fix it. It's not really adding talent. It's more along the lines of scaring players back to normal. Hell, if our guys just played average we'd have a top-10 maybe even a top-5 offense. I think resetting people mentally is just as important as picking up someone else.

I wouldn't want to be DL. I think it's a bit easier when a team is dramatically lacking in talent. Then it's "just" a matter of drafting, developing, and working. Penner was a good move as was Gagne and maybe (much more debatable I didn't like it at the time) Richards.

Now it far more difficult to figure out the right move.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
People keep directing their anger towards the only 4 skilled forwards on the roster and that's completely unfair IMO. Richards, Brown, Kopitar and Williams cannot do it all on their own. Other teams know this. Key on them and shut them down and the Kings have no offense. I'm all for building via defense but there comes a point when that wealth of depth on d needs to start being swapped for offensive depth. Lombardi has failed at this.
Agree, he has waited much too long to convert some of his assets on defense into some depth on the wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Loki attacks the Net and Center ice way more than Kopitar does.

That is disturbing.
Yes, it is.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:34 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Kopitar needs to grow some balls!
sadly that's just not his personality.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Honestly you know who it sounds like we are talking about when we are talking about Kopitar?

The way Washington fans talk about Alex Semin.

Old
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
"The honeymoon is over" ???

He is on game 51 of his career here. And on a team that ****ing sucks. Do we want to be like Columbus and shop the guy we just got out already?

Gotta be patient. His scoring will come.
Richards is a fine player (although not worth Schenn/Simmonds/2nd), I'm just saying that if Kopitar doesn't get a free pass, than neither should Richards.

I'm willing to give ALL of them a free pass, because I think the coaching and lack of depth is the problem.

Old
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Agree, he has waited much too long to convert some of his assets on defense into some depth on the wings.
Yes, it is.
I'm sure DL is more than willing to trade defense depth and even Bernier, so, that he can draft more goalies and dmen in this year's draft.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:37 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
sadly that's just not his personality.
Then he needs to be castrated and shipped off.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:38 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
At least when you watch a game you see him getting the puck to the front of the net and not just back to the point.
It's the only reason I've held my tongue on him. The guy consistently tries to make plays and no one is there to receive them.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Honestly you know who it sounds like we are talking about when we are talking about Kopitar?

The difference is, even when Kopitar isn't scoring he's have a positive impact on the game.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:41 PM
kinghock

I would do these trades.
1. With Columbus: Kopitar and Johnson for Nash and Carter
2. With Philadelphia: Brown and Richardson/Lewis for JVC and Read

Old
02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
It's the only reason I've held my tongue on him. The guy consistently tries to make plays and no one is there to receive them.
He made a great pass to King right on the doorstep in the Phoenix game. Like I said with Richards pucks are getting to the front of the net, with Kopitar not so much.

If you want further example check the highlights from the last game. At around the 1:00 minute mark of the 3rd period Richards attacks the middle of the ice, dishes the puck to Brown on RW who takes it right to the net. Richards follows him and bats a rebound wide.

Kopitar was on the LW during that rush. Does he stop in front of the net? No. He circles behind the net instead and is not in position to tip in the shot from Richards that went wide.

That play is a perfect example of what drives me crazy regarding Kopitar's play in the offensive zone.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:

They get on Semin's case for being lazy. Kopitar isn't lazy. He's just a pansy who makes Jozef Stumpel look like Dale Hunter.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
I would do these trades.
Pretty brutal.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
kinghock

Quote:
Pretty brutal.
Would you like to elaborate?

Old
02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
People keep directing their anger towards the only 4 skilled forwards on the roster and that's completely unfair IMO. Richards, Brown, Kopitar and Williams cannot do it all on their own. Other teams know this. Key on them and shut them down and the Kings have no offense. I'm all for building via defense but there comes a point when that wealth of depth on d needs to start being swapped for offensive depth. Lombardi has failed at this.
He did trade Quincey for Smyth. He didn't want to trade Smyth last summer, and for all of Smyth's faults, his number would be a welcome addition to the team. He also traded Teubert for Penner. Penner also had his question marks, but this season has been ridiculous, and he hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt with the system vs player question.

Lombardi didn't want to trade Smyth, then has to sign Gagne to replace him, since he was about all that was out there that the Kings could get. Gagne gets hurt, Penner has been terrible, and there's your 4 forward problem.

If the Kings try for Nash or Carter, it's likely another defenseman will be dealt.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
I would do these trades.
Pretty devastating. Baby steps are needed. Not full blown nuclear explosion. Doubt the Flyers make the second deal either. Either way, I wouldn't be so quick as to try and replace Kopitar with Carter and then get JVR and Read to become the ultimate Philadelphia tribute band.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
02-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:

This isn't a Mike Richards problem or version. The entire team is not producing offensively. When your entire team is under from where they should be in scoring, you have to look at the system. Even if he did a "big thing" once in awhile, it does not take away from the fact that this team cannot score because of the style of hockey they play. It is evident because when some players get traded away, they end up flourishing elsewhere.

2 years ago, it was five on five scoring and our power play,
last year it was five on five scoring and our power play.
This year it is five on five scoring and our power play.

Do you see a pattern?
Did you expect Richards to come in and solve everyone's problems?

Closed Thread