HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

USA Hockey membership, worth it?

Old
02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
DelZottoLover

vCash: 500
USA Hockey membership, worth it?

Is the USA hockey membership worth getting? What are some pros and cons in your opinions, just wanted to get some ideas from other people

DelZottoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Both of my leagues wont let me play without it. Other then that you get a magazine once a month. Im sure there are other benefits.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Thepandamancan

It comes with a small insurance plan too that can supplement your own plan. While I thankfully never used it, my friend almost did but most healthcare plans are still much better than anything it offers.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:59 PM
dwreckm

Same as above, I can't play without it.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:03 PM
IDuck

yeah i have to have it to play...and i dont mind the fact that you have to have it to play...but if you dont need it, i dont see why you would get it, i mean if you want to donate you can always donate, and if you want the mag im sure you can subscribe for cheaper

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:37 PM
AvDog

Yes it is definitely worth it. I will not play in a league that isn't supported by USA Hockey. My first foray into organized hockey ended in a severly broken right leg. The supplemental coverage by USA Hockey's insurance provider covered everything my regular insurance didn't cover AND took care of any co-pays I had.

My broken leg cost over $50,000 and without my insurance and USA Hockey's insurance I would be hurting in so many other ways.

AvDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Never had to use the insurance and never knew anyone who did, but it's required so I pay the $40 a year or whatever it is.

Honestly I don't mind it much, it's not a lot of money and for all I know it goes to a good cause. Would be interested to know what that $$$ goes to.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Squidriss

Man tbh i dont know how you guys do it, i live in canada and if break something im getting it fixed i dont have to worry about it, props to you guys for dealing with that stress!

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:43 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidriss View Post
Man tbh i dont know how you guys do it, i live in canada and if break something im getting it fixed i dont have to worry about it, props to you guys for dealing with that stress!
I don't really want to generalize or marginalize, but I would wager that most people who can afford to play hockey probably have decent health insurance.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:27 PM
johnny1976

The cost is not bad if it is just for yourself, however it could get expensive if you have a family and play yourself. Just think, for me I have to register my 2 kids as players and myself as a coach. I don't play in any leagues that require me to register as a player but if I did that would add a fourth payment. So for all four I would be looking at an extra +/- $150 a year for us before we could even step out on the ice.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote