HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Better prospect: Phaneuf or Malkin?

View Poll Results: Better prospect?
Malkin 76 66.09%
Phaneuf 39 33.91%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2004, 10:40 PM
monster_bertuzzi

vCash: 500
Better prospect: Phaneuf or Malkin?

Simply put, who is the better prospect?

Old
10-30-2004, 10:47 PM
KH1

It depends on what your team needs. But (no disrespect to Malkin's skills) I am going to say Phaneuf because I think that a physical, skilled defender who playes at the level that Phaneuf does is much rarer to find than a prospect like Malkin.

Old
10-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Til the End of Time

Tough to say... Phaneuf dominated early while Malkin seems to have picked it up as of late in each of their leagues... I really don't know.

Defensemen are a more valuable commodity, but Malkin seems to have alot of potential.

I'll have sleep on it and vote tomorrow.

Old
10-30-2004, 10:49 PM
NYRangers

Pronger-esque defensemen (which is basically what I think Phanuef will be) are hard to come by. You can find a lot of forwards who are great but not many defensemen who are the complete package like Phanuef is.

Old
10-30-2004, 11:25 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Phaneuf

Old
10-31-2004, 12:49 AM
se7en*

Phaneuf.

Old
10-31-2004, 12:50 AM
Jacob

It's a public poll.

Old
10-31-2004, 01:18 AM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Malkin easily .. this guy was almost 1 year younger than Ovechkin and he did great in the RSL .. he's now playing even better in a league full of NHLer!
about Phaneuf .. good hockey player like his hockey style and all but dont like his attitude.. and unlike many there i wasnt really impress by his last WJC .. he did good, especially his hit on Olesz .. but i still dont see him dominate a game like a Bouwmeester or a Pitkanen ... anyway IMO he'll be a good physical #1 D with good htting ability ... maybe im wrong but usually I dont miss much ...

Old
10-31-2004, 01:44 AM
VanCanuck

Phaneuf

Old
10-31-2004, 01:45 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
It's a public poll.
Does that matter?

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm*: 10-31-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old
10-31-2004, 01:54 AM
Jacob

Yeah, it makes no sense for people to reply just to say who they voted for.

Old
10-31-2004, 02:52 AM
monster_bertuzzi

My take:

They're both out of this world prospects, but I would say Malkin has a higher ceiling. IMO Phaneuf is guaranteed to be *at least* a top 3 defenceman in Calgary. Nothing wrong with that, but keep in mind guys like Steve Staios and Brent Sopel are top 3 defenceman. Now even if Phaneuf is some day Calgary's #1, will he really be a Pronger type defenceman? Nothing Phaneuf has done suggests to me that he can be a top 10 player in the league like Pronger is - despite his WHL scoring.

Malkin on the other hand is just a flat out beast. He's barely 18 (is he even 18 yet? I dont know) and is more talented than Ovechkin skill-wise. Yes Ovechkin is a more well-rounded player, but not many prospects have the ceiling that Malkin has.

Old
10-31-2004, 05:54 AM
Masterovic

Malkin

Old
10-31-2004, 09:33 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50
Malkin's ceiling is, in a word, ****ing insane.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
10-31-2004, 09:38 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I need option 3 - depends on your needs. They're both in the top-5 in the world. If your team has two superstar prospects at forward already, and none on D, you want Phaneuf. If you have a couple of studs on D already but need the big guy up front, you take Malkin. If you don't have a blue chip goalie prospect, you take Lehtonen. It's like that. Equals, but different.

Old
10-31-2004, 10:40 AM
HuskyFlames

I agree it really depends on a teams needs. But I must also bring up the point that high rated defenseman are a rarer comoodity then high rated forwards. There area ton of forward prospects with unreal scoring abilities but a handful of defenseman that can be physical, log 40 minutes per night, score and pass like Phaneuf.

Phaneuf has alot more ways to go with his game. He can become a solid physical defenseman, a scoring defenseman on the PP with his unreal shot, etc. Malkin on the other hand has to score. if he cant score he wont make it. Its not like he'll ever be a selke awward winner or a grinder. If he cant score in the NHL he wont make it because his whole game revolves around scoring.

Old
10-31-2004, 11:05 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
about Phaneuf .. good hockey player like his hockey style and all but dont like his attitude.. and unlike many there i wasnt really impress by his last WJC .. he did good, especially his hit on Olesz .. but i still dont see him dominate a game like a Bouwmeester or a Pitkanen ... anyway IMO he'll be a good physical #1 D with good htting ability ... maybe im wrong but usually I dont miss much ...
You don't like Phaneuf's attitude? What attitude? I know personally as a Flames fan, I know nothing of that sort. Unless you know him personally, I'm wondering where you're getting this info.

As well, you don't see him donminating games like Bouwmeester? I'll tell ya, Phaneuf was 10 times more dominate at the WJC (where I'm judging you watched him since you live in Montreal) then Bouwmeester, who had a pretty luke-warm showing that had many scouts wondering if Bouwmeester had peaked early.

Old
10-31-2004, 11:19 AM
Russian_fanatic

Phaneauf

Old
10-31-2004, 11:31 AM
leafaholix*

I'd vote for Phaneuf if Malkin didn't have franchise player potential.

So... Evgeny Malkin... rather easily.

Old
10-31-2004, 11:42 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Malkin as he will be a franchise player for the penguins

Old
10-31-2004, 11:42 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Pronger-esque defensemen (which is basically what I think Phanuef will be) are hard to come by. You can find a lot of forwards who are great but not many defensemen who are the complete package like Phanuef is.

Phaneuf is closer to Adam Foote than Chris Pronger. To be "Pronger-esque," you need to have Pronger-esque size...6'6, 220.

Old
10-31-2004, 12:05 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
I'd vote for Phaneuf if Malkin didn't have franchise player potential.

So... Evgeny Malkin... rather easily.
Phaneuf is a franchise player type prospect, no doubt about it. He is the type of rare blueliner prospect that everyteam would love to have.

Old
10-31-2004, 12:10 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Phaneuf is closer to Adam Foote than Chris Pronger. To be "Pronger-esque," you need to have Pronger-esque size...6'6, 220.
So you have to be the same height in order to play the same style?

Phaneuf has been compared to Stevens but Stevens is an inch taller than him, does that mean he can't be compared?

Pronger - Can dominate phsyically, has a big shot, make a rush and solid leadership.

Phaneuf - Has the same attributes and shown them. While he may not be as tall he sure plays as big.

On a side note (not at you), Phaneuf has the potnaital to be a better overall defenseman than Regehr and Leopold on the Flames. If the Flames did not have Iginla as our franchise, it would be expected that Phaneuf would be touted as our young "franchise player". All i know is that I am excited to see what this kid can do for the Flames.

Leopold, Regehr, Phaneuf sounds like a really nice top 3 of young defenseman. No one can argue that!

Old
10-31-2004, 12:18 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
So you have to be the same height in order to play the same style?

Phaneuf has been compared to Stevens but Stevens is an inch taller than him, does that mean he can't be compared?

Pronger - Can dominate phsyically, has a big shot, make a rush and solid leadership.

Phaneuf - Has the same attributes and shown them. While he may not be as tall he sure plays as big.

On a side note (not at you), Phaneuf has the potnaital to be a better overall defenseman than Regehr and Leopold on the Flames. If the Flames did not have Iginla as our franchise, it would be expected that Phaneuf would be touted as our young "franchise player". All i know is that I am excited to see what this kid can do for the Flames.

Leopold, Regehr, Phaneuf sounds like a really nice top 3 of young defenseman. No one can argue that!
To be the dominant defenseman that Pronger is...yes...you need to be as big as him. You'd think comparing Phaneuf to Adam Foote was an insult! And comparing an inch difference with a 5-6 inch difference is silly. Phaneuf can be every bit as physical\offensively talented as Pronger...but the old adage is that you can't teach size.

Old
10-31-2004, 12:26 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Phaneuf can be every bit as physical\offensively talented as Pronger...but the old adage is that you can't teach size.
Simple question here nomorekids.

If Phaneuf can be every bit as physical as Pronger, then why does the extra size on Pronger matter?

Closed Thread