HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Better prospect: Phaneuf or Malkin?

View Poll Results: Better prospect?
Malkin 76 66.09%
Phaneuf 39 33.91%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2004, 02:36 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Malkin is a potential franchise player. Phanuef isn't. You guys are so overating him. He is like god on these boards. Everyone seems to think he something spectacular. Malkin went 2nd in 2004. Phaneuf went 9th in 2003. People are rating him above guys like Horton and Fleury. Phaneuf will be good but Malkin will be in another league.

Old
11-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17ster
Malkin is a potential franchise player. Phanuef isn't. You guys are so overating him. He is like god on these boards. Everyone seems to think he something spectacular. Malkin went 2nd in 2004. Phaneuf went 9th in 2003. People are rating him above guys like Horton and Fleury. Phaneuf will be good but Malkin will be in another league.
Draft position doesn't have much to do with it. Phaneuf would have been a top 5 pick had the draft been re-done. His stock has soared since then. And Phaneuf does have the potential to be a franchise defenseman.

Old
11-01-2004, 02:55 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Wow what poor logic. That is like saying that because Fleury (drunk one) was drafted so low he could never be the Flames franchise player. Well he arguably was and there has been many other situations where this has happened. You don't need to be drafted top 5 to be the "franchise man". That is like saying Roy could never be considered a franchise goalie.

It seems like many anti-Phaneuf people don't like him because of the team he plays for or his draft position. ANYONE can clearly see he has a ton of potential and dominating play this year. He is also getting better the more he plays.

Old
11-01-2004, 02:55 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
Draft position doesn't have much to do with it. Phaneuf would have been a top 5 pick had the draft been re-done. His stock has soared since then. And Phaneuf does have the potential to be a franchise defenseman.
Comparing Phanuef to Malkin is stupid. Malkin could be a superstar and up there with ovechkin. Phanuef wont.I've heard people comparing him to ovechkin saying he is as good. no way, but hey thats my opinion dude. although i dont get why everyone is totally crazy over Phaneuf. dont make sense.

Old
11-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Yep, and Malkin would have gone first any year without Ovechkin according to many scouts.

Old
11-01-2004, 03:01 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Exactly

Old
11-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Til the End of Time

I don't think it's as cut and dry as

franchise defensemen > franchise forwards, or the other way around.

There are varying degrees of franchise players.

But anyway, I choose Malkin. Pure offensive players are relatively easy to find, but his game isn't only about scoring.

Phaneuf seems to be the flavor-of-the-month.

Draft position isn't the be all and end all, but there is a reason Malkin was picked second and Phaneuf ninth.

Old
11-01-2004, 03:23 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
Phaneuf seems to be the flavor-of-the-month.
Interesting thing to say. This very website had Phaneuf as the 3rd best prospect 8 months ago, and the hockey news had him rated at #2. He is certainly more then a falvour of the month, and the people who doubt him just because he was taken 9th in a very deep draft are going to be impressed with his play.

Old
11-01-2004, 03:29 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Interesting thing to say. This very website had Phaneuf as the 3rd best prospect 8 months ago, and the hockey news had him rated at #2. He is certainly more then a falvour of the month, and the people who doubt him just because he was taken 9th in a very deep draft are going to be impressed with his play.
Maybe, but comparing to guys like ovechkin, malkin is stupid. how can u rank him higher than zherdev who has already shown glimpses of stardom in the nhl and who was the 03 concencus 1# pick and yet say Phaneuf is better.

Old
11-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
I retract my statement.

He's the flavor-of-the-year.

Old
11-01-2004, 03:41 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
I retract my statement.

He's the flavor-of-the-year.
Why?

Old
11-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Yep, and Malkin would have gone first any year without Ovechkin according to many scouts.
That's really not true anymore as it's pretty much said every single year. Spezza, Lehtonen/Bouwmeester/Pitkanen, and Brule have all had the same thing said about them and that's only in a very short time frame. Would Malkin have gone first over Crosby or Bouwmeester (the real #1 in 2002) if they were in the same draft? Not a chance.

Old
11-01-2004, 03:49 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Maybe, but comparing to guys like ovechkin, malkin is stupid. how can u rank him higher than zherdev who has already shown glimpses of stardom in the nhl and who was the 03 concencus 1# pick and yet say Phaneuf is better.
Isn't that contradictory? How can you rate AO and Malkin higher when they haven't shown anything in the NHL as well?

Old
11-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Malkin's ceiling is, in a word, ****ing insane.
Thats 2 but yeah I also went with Malkin's high ceiling. Although I really like Phaneuf, tough choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
One of Pronger's biggest attributes is his tremondous reach. With his arms extended and wielding his stick, he can knock the puck off of most forwards who try to deke past him. I don't think Pronger will be as dominant if he was a couple of inches shorter. Just in the same way, Stevens wouldn't be as dominant if he was 6'1'' instead of 6'4''.

Phaneuf is 6'3'' and that is huge. He can be compared to Stevens but I don't think comparing him to Pronger does Pronger any just. Pronger and Robinson are one of a kind simply because they are 6'6''. There are less than half a dozen 6'6''er's in the entire NHL.
Stevens and Phaneuf are 6'2.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...258&hubName=NJ

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...07&hubName=CGY

Also there are way more than 6 guys over 6'6, Pronger, Chara, Gill, Worrell, Carins, Mckenna, etc... the question is how good are they? Also are you talking about (6'4), Larry Robinson?

http://www.hockeysandwich.com/robinson.html

Either way I totally agree about size being a huge factor when it comes to big players, Chara would'nt even have made the NHL without having 6'9 in his profile.

Old
11-01-2004, 04:45 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Stevens and Phaneuf are 6'2.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...258&hubName=NJ

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...07&hubName=CGY

Also there are way more than 6 guys over 6'6, Pronger, Chara, Gill, Worrell, Carins, Mckenna, etc... the question is how good are they? Also are you talking about (6'4), Larry Robinson?

http://www.hockeysandwich.com/robinson.html

Either way I totally agree about size being a huge factor when it comes to big players, Chara would'nt even have made the NHL without having 6'9 in his profile.
My bad. I was very confused when I made that post. I didn't realize I had that many errors. Always thought Stevens was 6'4'' and Robinson was 6'6'' for some reason. I think I may have gotten Stevens confused with Arnott's size and Robinson just sounded big as his name was "Big Bird". But yeah, my bad on those inaccuracies.

The Red Deer Rebels site however lists Phaneuf was being 6'3'' now.

Old
11-01-2004, 04:48 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
There are less than half a dozen 6'6''er's in the entire NHL.
Pronger, Chara, Malik, Mezei, McKenna, Gill, Daze, Worrell, Cross,

Old
11-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Bileur

Quote:
My bad. I was very confused when I made that post. I didn't realize I had that many errors. Always thought Stevens was 6'4'' and Robinson was 6'6'' for some reason. I think I may have gotten Stevens confused with Arnott's size and Robinson just sounded big as his name was "Big Bird". But yeah, my bad on those inaccuracies.

Its all good, my bad about the Phaneuf update in size.

Old
11-01-2004, 04:50 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Take it with a grain of salt. Brandon Reid was listen at 5'10'' in juniors and he's only 5'7''...

Old
11-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Consensus #1? Maybe before the draft, but he slipped for a reason, which is why Phaneuf was likely ranked higher. But in the HF results, Phaneuf WAS behind Zherdev, in the THN Poll he was behind only Lehtonen.

Malkin hasn't played a game in the NHL either, don't get ahead of yourself.

Old
11-01-2004, 04:56 PM
leafaholix*

Basically, it's...

A European version of Mario Lemieux vs. Scott Stevens in his prime.

I can't see how this is all that close.

Old
11-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
although i dont get why everyone is totally crazy over Phaneuf. dont make sense.
Then maybe you shouldn't toss him aside without knowing anything about him. He's a player compared to Scott Stevens, was named top defenseman at the World Junior Championships, was 2nd on his junior team in scoring, has a wicked shot, hits like a tank, his upside is very high. #1 Defenseman high. At 6'3'' he is big and very physical. There is a reason why he has been ranked #2 and #3 by two credible prospect rankings.

Old
11-01-2004, 05:02 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Phaneuf are 6'2.
Minor correction, Dion Phaneuf is actually 6'3 now.

Old
11-01-2004, 05:02 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
Then maybe you shouldn't toss him aside without knowing anything about him. He's a player compared to Scott Stevens, was named top defenseman at the World Junior Championships, was 2nd on his junior team in scoring, has a wicked shot, hits like a tank, his upside is very high. #1 Defenseman high. At 6'3'' he is big and very physical. There is a reason why he has been ranked #2 and #3 by two credible prospect rankings.
Didn't Jani Rita get ranked #1 by the same credible prospect rankings a couple of years ago?

Old
11-01-2004, 05:03 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
A European version of Mario Lemieux vs. Scott Stevens in his prime.
So now Malkin is going to be one of the top 3 players of all time?

Yikes.

Old
11-01-2004, 05:06 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Didn't Jani Rita get ranked #1 by the same credible prospect rankings a couple of years ago?
And didn't Kari Lehtonen get ranked #1 by alot of those same credible prospect rankings? What is your point?

Closed Thread