HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Greg Nemisz (2008, 25th overall, Calgary; Carolina)

Old
12-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Slink

vCash: 500
RW Greg Nemisz (2008, 25th overall, Calgary; Carolina)

I have seen this guy ranked fairly high everywhere except by the ISS. I don't know anything about the guy. Does anyone have any information they can give about him? Maybe a scouting report?

Slink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 12:38 PM
tyler_sens

TSN has him ranked 8th for the 08 Draft.

Nemisz has all of the physical tools to become a stud in the OHL. He reminds us in many ways of a young Jeff Carter. He still needs to bulk up. This season he carried a poor team pretty well all this year along with certain teammates and the coaching staff. He has the potential to dominate the OHL and as well become a high NHL draft pick in '08.

tyler_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_sens View Post
TSN has him ranked 8th for the 08 Draft.

Nemisz has all of the physical tools to become a stud in the OHL. He reminds us in many ways of a young Jeff Carter. He still needs to bulk up. This season he carried a poor team pretty well all this year along with certain teammates and the coaching staff. He has the potential to dominate the OHL and as well become a high NHL draft pick in '08.
Is this your assessment or TSNs? Either way it's way off on him carrying a poor team. Windsor has been in top 10 of the CHL for the majority of the year. He has bulked up this year and is now close to 200 lbs. He uses his size well along the boards and is beginning to hit a bit more. He has good hands and is a good, but not great skater.

Raisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 11:59 AM
tyler_sens

It was TSN's

tyler_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Makmalkin89

windsor has a good team and being from windsor i watch them quite often and i think that on many nights nemisz is the best player on the ice... he physically dominates and has great hamds and hockey sense too

Makmalkin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makmalkin89 View Post
windsor has a good team and being from windsor i watch them quite often and i think that on many nights nemisz is the best player on the ice... he physically dominates and has great hamds and hockey sense too
How would you say his skating is?

Thanks

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 11:48 AM
whockeynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
How would you say his skating is?

Thanks
His skating is fine...it just doesn't look pretty is all. He gets it done most nights.

whockeynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
turnbuckle*

Nemisz is a little knock kneed; but as stated he seems to get there okay.

I was scouting a Sudbury-Windsor game, and he was a few strides behind Staal and he caught him. Great hands for his size, reminds some of Andreychuk. Eight overall is a little high but he's in most scouts' top 20 at this point.

BTW - I had a profile on Nemisz in The Draft Guy's OHL top 20 I posted a few weeks weeks ago. I'd post the link but that's now a "no no" on here. You can find it in an old post about two pages back on here..

to say he's carrying a poor team is definitely bullcrap. The spits are one of the top teams in the league. If you get a chance check out Taylor Hall - guy isn't even eligible for the draft until 2010 and he's on the top line. Rychel has done a great job of turning this franchise around.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 11:19 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedraftguru View Post
to say he's carrying a poor team is definitely bullcrap. The spits are one of the top teams in the league. If you get a chance check out Taylor Hall - guy isn't even eligible for the draft until 2010 and he's on the top line. Rychel has done a great job of turning this franchise around.
No kidding. That kid is going to be a fricken gem.

Nemisz could stand to use his frame a bit more I think. I mean, from the games I've seen he needs that "mean streak" to fully hit his potential IMO. He's one of the biggest guys on the ice most nights. Is very slick, and his skating isn't "amazing" but like others have said, it gets the job done. His scoring ability/hands are his best asset in my eyes.

I live in Windsor, I'll be going to the Kitchener game on Thursday (I believe). I catch as many games as I can on TV.

He's def. not carrying the team at all. He's a main part for sure, but not carrying the team. They a mix of strong veterans (Renaud, Snets, Reid) aswell as strong young players (Ellis, Bailey, Neimsz, Hall, Henrique etc...). Now that they've grabbed a top OHL goalie in Neuvrith they are just that much better of a team.

06-27-2008, 10:47 AM
*OvechKiN*

Greg Nemisz Analysis

Hi all, Flames fan here.
I'm quite excited about this pick (no one available at the time that I see as a much better pick).
But I've never seen him play. After reading a bunch of threads and reviews about him, I was wondering if some people who have seen him play can comment?
The Flames skating coach seems to think there is nothing wrong with his skating, while he is no Mattias Tedenby, he is no Chris Simon on skates either.
So, how is his skating? hands? skill? passing? shot? drive? defense?
Can anyone who has seen him play comment please?

*OvechKiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I doubt I have anything new to add if you've already read some of the threads and comments on him.

His skating is something I'd want to re-evaluate if/when he adds more hustle and urgency to his game. Technically I don't know if there's anything really wrong with it (not that I profess to any real technical knowledge, mind you). But I find he coasts or cruises too much. It's not an uncommon criticism for bigger developing PF types, however.

Still, when you see a guy who has the ability to use his size to advantage, and he doesn't use it so much, you wish he could. Probably that's basically the same for his skating. He may not be a bad skater, but you wish he hustled a bit more to really prove it.

His hands, passing, and general skill seem pretty good. I don't really remember taking note of his shot... the times I saw him he was more adept at getting things away in traffic or through screens or picking up the garbage around the net, etc; I don't have any memory of him really wiring it or being in the clear to wire it.

My vague impression is that he seems to be reasonably smart and capable in terms of checking and handling his defensive responsibilities. Although again, it all comes down to hustle and drive. That's the area I'd want to see him pick up on ahead of all else, then it might make his skating or his defense look better.

FWIW.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I doubt I have anything new to add if you've already read some of the threads and comments on him.

His skating is something I'd want to re-evaluate if/when he adds more hustle and urgency to his game. Technically I don't know if there's anything really wrong with it (not that I profess to any real technical knowledge, mind you). But I find he coasts or cruises too much. It's not an uncommon criticism for bigger developing PF types, however.

Still, when you see a guy who has the ability to use his size to advantage, and he doesn't use it so much, you wish he could. Probably that's basically the same for his skating. He may not be a bad skater, but you wish he hustled a bit more to really prove it.

His hands, passing, and general skill seem pretty good. I don't really remember taking note of his shot... the times I saw him he was more adept at getting things away in traffic or through screens or picking up the garbage around the net, etc; I don't have any memory of him really wiring it or being in the clear to wire it.

My vague impression is that he seems to be reasonably smart and capable in terms of checking and handling his defensive responsibilities. Although again, it all comes down to hustle and drive. That's the area I'd want to see him pick up on ahead of all else, then it might make his skating or his defense look better.

FWIW.
What's the difference between Nemisz and Stefanovich? A few inches in height and nationality? I certainly don't see any difference in size of heart..

I might be the only one, but I'm surprised at the large difference in draft positions of the two.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:24 AM
jeff88_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
What's the difference between Nemisz and Stefanovich? A few inches in height and nationality? I certainly don't see any difference in size of heart..

I might be the only one, but I'm surprised at the large difference in draft positions of the two.
You're not the only one ^^

jeff88_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Canuck71

Quote:

I am also surprised at the positions these two were both picked in. With Nemisz I really don't see what there would be any hype about? Seemed like an average skater every time I saw him and was a lazy player in the defensive zone. Seemed like the only goals he scored came from standing in front of the net and banging in garbage goals or deflecting some past the goalie whenever I got the chance to see him. He could use his size more to his advantage down low, but in all honestly I don't see what makes him worthy of a 1st round pick?

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

Well, I don't have a problem with Nemisz as a 1st rounder. I picked him #30 in my FHL for example, even if I don't necessarily give a glowing scouting report on him. The disparity between him and Stefanovich in the draft can more be chalked up to "why did Stefanovich go so low" as "why did Nemisz go so high", IMHO.

I also don't see the players in the Q much. Just whatever I get on Sportsnet or if they play any of the tourney type games on TV. That's basically two invisible games for Stefanovich, vs. maybe 10 times I saw Nemisz this season (all on TV). But if I was speculating on the differences, I'd feel more comfortable projecting growth from Nemisz as a player than from Stefanovich. Stefanovich can vanish, coast, go through the motions. Or he flashes the dangler-style skills. Nemisz can vanish, coast, go through the motions, or flash PF-type skills. I guess the latter just suggests to me some additional intrinsic opportunity for added drive and determination to flourish and complete the package. Sometimes Nemisz plays well in traffic and uses his size. You wish he did it with more consistency, but nevertheless it's there. Is it there even as much for Stefanovich? (I honestly don't know).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:29 PM
danglesmcgee

his shot is pretty good, he impressed me at training camp bar down cheddar a few times from top of the dot, no one saw it coming. skating needs some work, needs to get physically fit. works hard though, maybe a tad bit soft.

danglesmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:21 PM
FoxMulder91*

Greg Nemisz

He was drafted 25th overall by the Flames in 2008.
He plays for the Windsor Spitfires.

Hes 6'3 and around 200 pounds.

This year he had 36 goals and 41 assists and finished with a +52

He had 8 goals and 12 assists in the playoffs.
He had 1 goal and 6 assists in the memorial cup.

He has been invited to the this years Canadian World Junior Camp.

Thoughs on him? Career potential?

FoxMulder91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Canuck71

I don't like him as a prospect and don't believe his game is going to adapt well to the NHL. He's a big guy that plays well along the boards but he's slow and doesn't really seem motivated in the defensive zone. I can't see him being a top 6 player and I don't really know if there would be room for him in the bottom 6 unless it was in a grinder role.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:00 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
His skating has to get better, and if it does he will likely be top six material. Very soft hands and a big body. He is a Power Forward so it will take him several years to develop, which he never may. I expect him to be on the flames by 2011 in some capacity, but if all goes well he could be a 60 point guy in the NHL.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:14 PM
JL17

I've never been a big fan of his. He took some serious hits in the playoffs but the hit came from putting himself in odd position time after time. He does have soft hands but he is relatively slow. He could very well be top 6 if skating improves alot but I see him as Alexander Giroux a great goal scorer in the AHL and a callup or third line guy in the NHL.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

What I felt at the time of the draft was that he could turn into a 30-goal guy, big body, nice physical play and a strong presence around the net.

I've cooled off a bit towards him. Maybe more of a 2nd/3rd line tweener that doesn't bring enough offense to stick in the top 6, but can fill that role on a team that lacks depth or due to injuries. But he's more gifted offensively than a bottom 6 forward.

He may still become a good top 6 forward, power forward type of player, but I'm not part of the people that believe that anymore.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:30 PM
shveik

Plusses: very soft hands, both shooting and stickhandling; good puck protection due to his size and balance; good hockey sense, he seems to know where the puck will be next.
Negatives: he seems to have no fire in him.

Unlike some here, I do not see skating as a big issue for his size. The problem is he doesn't have the attitude to go through people, and his skating doesn't allow him to skate around them. So he gets what is given to him, and he finds a lot of opportunities for that with his smarts. But at the NHL level he won't be given much, he'll have to learn to take it. Otherwise he'll be sort of a drop in upgrade to David Moss, who's pretty much the same player right now (Nemisz does have better hands though). If his attitude stays the same: 40-50 pts in the NHL on 2/3 line, or AHL star if he doesn't fit with team philosophy; if he finds some aggression in him, 30 goal 1st line power forward isn't out of question IMO.

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:40 PM
wings5

He reminds me of Bobby Ryan in some capacity.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:15 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shveik View Post
Plusses: very soft hands, both shooting and stickhandling; good puck protection due to his size and balance; good hockey sense, he seems to know where the puck will be next.

Unlike some here, I do not see skating as a big issue for his size. The problem is he doesn't have the attitude to go through people, and his skating doesn't allow him to skate around them. So he gets what is given to him, and he finds a lot of opportunities for that with his smarts. But at the NHL level he won't be given much, he'll have to learn to take it. Otherwise he'll be sort of a drop in upgrade to David Moss, who's pretty much the same player right now (Nemisz does have better hands though). If his attitude stays the same: 40-50 pts in the NHL on 2/3 line, or AHL star if he doesn't fit with team philosophy; if he finds some aggression in him, 30 goal 1st line power forward isn't out of question IMO.
I think the skating issue was overblown when he was drafted, his skating looked quite good to me during the Memorial Cup.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:22 PM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shveik View Post

Well the thing is, David Moss is actually a fast skater.

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote