HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Shea Theodore (2013, 26th, ANA)

Old
01-28-2014, 03:18 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Yes, but it also requires work, ALOT of work and dedication.

Theodore was always a high risk/high reward type of prospect. I had him ranked #13 but I understand why he fell: he is a prospect with all the tools but needs years to build up the muscle as well as adapt to stronger opponents, not an easy feat.
I understand what you're saying in other post and I agree with you here.

Problem I see in the future is he's going to be too good for juniors, but not ready for the NHL; Grigorenko syndrome.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
I disagree. I didn't find him soft during his draft year, he just lacked the muscle to be effective physically. He wasn't scared, just a bit useless because he wasn't strong enough, something he could fix with 3/4 years of training.
Completely agree.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 04:00 PM
bumperkisser

That rule is seriously dumb. Clearly going to be too good for Juniors next year but no where else to go because of our huge logjam on d. Although I don't think he'd be nhl ready I do want them to be able to go to the ahl like lindholm did.
Oh well, as long as he keeps working on his defensive game and bulks up a bit I think he'll be great. Anything similar to Fowler and I'd be stoked

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 04:17 PM
HanSolo
aka DuckJet

vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
That rule is seriously dumb. Clearly going to be too good for Juniors next year but no where else to go because of our huge logjam on d. Although I don't think he'd be nhl ready I do want them to be able to go to the ahl like lindholm did.
Oh well, as long as he keeps working on his defensive game and bulks up a bit I think he'll be great. QAnything similar to Fowler and I'd be stoked
As long as he plays better defense than Schultz ill be happy.

01-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Clearly going to be too good for Juniors next year but no where else to go because of our huge logjam on d.
Could definitely pose a problem, but at least it's a problem that should affect any vultures looking to swoop in on the bounty, too. Wonder how attached the Ducks are to Fistric though, for example. In the short term that has both Lindholm and Beauchemin holding down the left side for at least another year (barring all sorts of stuff, obviously), might it be possible that Theodore is ready enough to be sheltered a bit behind them on the 3rd pairing as soon as next season? Sounds like a real gamble now, but I guess we'll see (certainly not betting on it). What roles and how many minutes are even left out there after Lindholm and Beauchemin get their minutes, though?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Could definitely pose a problem, but at least it's a problem that should affect any vultures looking to swoop in on the bounty, too. Wonder how attached the Ducks are to Fistric though, for example. In the short term that has both Lindholm and Beauchemin holding down the left side for at least another year (barring all sorts of stuff, obviously), might it be possible that Theodore is ready enough to be sheltered a bit behind them on the 3rd pairing as soon as next season? Sounds like a real gamble now, but I guess we'll see (certainly not betting on it). What roles and how many minutes are even left out there after Lindholm and Beauchemin get their minutes, though?
We have Sbisa, Fowler, Lovejoy, Beauchemin, Allen, Lindholm and Vatanen next season plus Souray and maybe Fistric...I don't think there is room even if he bulks up all the sudden.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 05:03 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

he wont be in the NHL next year for anything more than a 9 game tryout at best, ducks have too many guys ahead of him and giving him a little taste should keep him motivated for having to stay in juniors

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Pahlsson26

Quote:
Oh well, as long as he keeps working on his defensive game and bulks up a bit I think he'll be great. Anything similar to Fowler and I'd be stoked
Well it was the Ducks choice to sign him so soon after they drafted him (only 3 months). They knew he would need two years in the CHL before he could go to Norfolk. I'm assuming they want him to really develop his defensive game with Seattle, maybe to lessen the NHL learning curve (like Fowler suffered from).

Pahlsson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

i don't even know anything about him and how good he actually is, but i'd like to just say that i hope he makes it in the NHL because Shea Theodore is an awesome name for a defenseman.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 05:45 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
If you're not good enough for the NHL, especially in a top 4 role, then you aren't too good for junior.

One of the worst things about this site.

He still isn't a stalwart defender and does most of his damage on the PP (50% of his points are on the PP).

I don't mean to talk down Theodore, because he's a fantastic talent and a great offensive defensman prospect, but I don't really believe in prospects being too good for junior.

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
If you're not good enough for the NHL, especially in a top 4 role, then you aren't too good for junior.

One of the worst things about this site.

He still isn't a stalwart defender and does most of his damage on the PP (50% of his points are on the PP).

I don't mean to talk down Theodore, because he's a fantastic talent and a great offensive defensman prospect, but I don't really believe in prospects being too good for junior.
I'm halfway with you.

I think that some prospects are just a level above everyone else and may not progress at the same pace if that prospect were to play in the AHL.

However, I also think that playing top pairing minutes in the OHL/QMJHL/WHL with excellent coaches and physical trainers, as well as playing in front of great crowds and travel like pros, is never a bad thing.

Its a choice between good/better environments. Unless that place is a place like Lethbridge this season.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 02:11 AM
Gliff
Salty

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Offensive defensemen don't have to be overly physical. What's important is at 6'2 you know he won't be outmatched physically by most NHL forwards. Any player with his size and skating ability can be taught how to play defense, his talent and offensive skills however cannot be taught.

He put up similar numbers to Pouliot on a much worse team. Pouliot went 9th overall, which was probably a little higher than he should have, but still I don't think theres a tremendous difference between Pouliot and Theodore. I see similar NHL potential going forward. There is no way Theodore should have been available to the Ducks at pick 26.
One was drafted by the Pens and one by the Ducks.

Fowler wasn't physical at all in juniors or his rookie year. Fowler isnt even overly physical now but he is a stud shutdown.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 06:42 AM
la patineuse

Quote:
I disagree. I didn't find him soft during his draft year, he just lacked the muscle to be effective physically. He wasn't scared, just a bit useless because he wasn't strong enough, something he could fix with 3/4 years of training.
He is also a young 2013-year draftee; he just turned 18 last August, so he wasn't that far from the cutoff and probably was/is a little less physically mature. Another year in the junior could still benefit him.

la patineuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 02:12 AM
Gliff
Salty

Imagine if he was 3 months younger. Where would he be drafted after this year he is having?

Old
01-30-2014, 02:53 AM
RoR21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Imagine if he was 3 months younger. Where would he be drafted after this year he is having?
top 5. Still lots of issues with defensive game at times

RoR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
That ***** so funny how that works

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:49 AM
FinnSkillz28

Quote:
Yea and imagine Barkov or MacKinnon if they would be couple weeks younger

FinnSkillz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Gliff
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnSkillz28 View Post
Yea and imagine Barkov or MacKinnon if they would be couple weeks younger
They were both top 5 picks last year so that isnt such a surprise. Theodore would have made a huge jump.

Old
11-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Exit Dose

After tonight, five points in his first five AHL games, this season.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2014, 11:19 PM
LainePeg
old: Youth Movement

Will he be in the Super Duper Series?
Hard to believe he doesn't make the WJC team...

LainePeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2014, 08:45 AM
zeropotentate

Is Theodore playing in the AHL on the same rule as Drouin was earlier in the season? How long is he able to play there?

zeropotentate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropotentate View Post
Is Theodore playing in the AHL on the same rule as Drouin was earlier in the season? How long is he able to play there?
Yeah, a conditioning stint. Those last 2 weeks I believe, so he can stay there through next weekend.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

vCash: 1832
Theodore officially headed by the Seattle.

Huge boost for the T-Birds, he's going to massacre that league. Not that he didn't already do that last year.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Theodore is great.

Mikey 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Gliff
Salty

I hate the CHL/AHL age rule ****. There is nothing Theodore is going to learn this year other then bad habits. I would so much rather have him in the AHL playing against men.