HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Gwinnett and the AHL

Old
02-20-2012, 10:31 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

vCash: 500
Gwinnett and the AHL

Was just wondering if anyone thinks that what happen with Charlotte could happen to Gwinnett in that an AHL team moves to Duluth GA and takes over the Gwinnett Gladiators name? I certainly don't mind the ECHL but an AHL team would be very cool.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

I suppose anything is possible. For that to happen, you have to have an owned AHL team change hands to an owner motivated to put a team in Gwinnett. To put it another way, you'd have to identify a local Gwinnett business person who really wants to upgrade the team to the AHL. They would then have to buy an AHL team or an NHL team that owns their own AHL franchise. Then, they could put a team there.

Improbable? Yes. Impossible? No. I never thought St John's would get another team. It just takes the right set of circumstances to fall into line.

02-21-2012, 02:34 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

They certainly have the building for it. Have no idea if Chapman wants to part with his ECHL throne though...

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:10 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I suppose anything is possible. For that to happen, you have to have an owned AHL team change hands to an owner motivated to put a team in Gwinnett. To put it another way, you'd have to identify a local Gwinnett business person who really wants to upgrade the team to the AHL. They would then have to buy an AHL team or an NHL team that owns their own AHL franchise. Then, they could put a team there.

Improbable? Yes. Impossible? No. I never thought St John's would get another team. It just takes the right set of circumstances to fall into line.
I agree with you Majik. Will people drive to Gwinnett to see hockey? Are there enough nearby fans to sustain an AHL team versus an ECHL team in that 11,000 seat arena?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:54 PM
smitty10

I think it'd be great to see Georgia get an AHL team. It would be even better if the team was the affiliate of the Preds. Seems as though a lot of the Thrashers fans that didn't stick with the team have moved to being Carolina and Nashville fans. I think this would be of benefit to both teams and would hopefully at least partially take the role that the Thrashers had in Georgia.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:07 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Since the Glads' attendance actually went DOWN with the departure of the Thrashers, it's hard for me to think that a move from the ECHL to the AHL would actually bring in more fans in that specific market. In Charlotte, the team was playing in the same arena as an NBA team, making the "low minors" to "major league" gap a little more obvious and outstanding, which I can potentially see making the jump to the AHL more palatable... but Gwinnett is very much on the outskirts of Atlanta, and I can't see there being the same kind of bounce without a SERIOUS marketing campaign, and even then, it's a pretty big risk, IMO.

Now, all of that said, their attendance now is still better than 13 other existing AHL teams. So, in theory, it _should_ be able to support an AHL team... but they'd very much be on an island, with only Charlotte "close". I don't really see any rational reason for the current ownership to try to make that jump.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:02 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

move them to Atlanta, to play at Phillips arena

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:38 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
move them to Atlanta, to play at Phillips arena
Are you kidding? The people who own/run Phillips don't want a hockey team playing in their arena! They think they can make more money with concerts etc...

Old
02-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Since the Glads' attendance actually went DOWN with the departure of the Thrashers, it's hard for me to think that a move from the ECHL to the AHL would actually bring in more fans in that specific market. In Charlotte, the team was playing in the same arena as an NBA team, making the "low minors" to "major league" gap a little more obvious and outstanding, which I can potentially see making the jump to the AHL more palatable... but Gwinnett is very much on the outskirts of Atlanta, and I can't see there being the same kind of bounce without a SERIOUS marketing campaign, and even then, it's a pretty big risk, IMO.

Now, all of that said, their attendance now is still better than 13 other existing AHL teams. So, in theory, it _should_ be able to support an AHL team... but they'd very much be on an island, with only Charlotte "close". I don't really see any rational reason for the current ownership to try to make that jump.

Totally agree except that one of the Florida teams may like it being so close. Also, atlanta - busiest airport in the world, many flights all around the country so getting players to the destination quickly for call-ups would be a plus.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:01 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Totally agree except that one of the Florida teams may like it being so close. Also, atlanta - busiest airport in the world, many flights all around the country so getting players to the destination quickly for call-ups would be a plus.
You forget that it will take at least 90 minutes to get from the airport to the arena, maybe more in rush-hour traffic. Also, I'm pretty sure neither of the Florida NHL teams _own_ their own AHL teams, so would only be negotiating an affiliation with an ownership, not actually involved in the decision to move a franchise there.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:

Quote:
You forget that it will take at least 90 minutes to get from the airport to the arena, maybe more in rush-hour traffic. Also, I'm pretty sure neither of the Florida NHL teams _own_ their own AHL teams, so would only be negotiating an affiliation with an ownership, not actually involved in the decision to move a franchise there.
So you indicate no rational reason for going to Gwinnett and I respond the Florida teams might like it for its proximity to them and that Atlanta is the world busiest airport making flights to NHL cities convenient.

Not sure why it matters about getting form the airport to the arena......

A non stop flight from atlanta to say New York or DC is closer than going from say Syracuse to DC.

What does it matter that neither florida teams owns an AHL franchise? You know full well that franchises change hands fairy often.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:24 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Said this before but I would welcome an Atlanta-based AHL team any day. Instant rivalry with the Checkers.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:32 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Said this before but I would welcome an Atlanta-based AHL team any day. Instant rivalry with the Checkers.
Rivalries hardly exist in minor league hockey anymore

Old
02-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Rivalries hardly exist in minor league hockey anymore
Huh? I beg to differ. I think the Wolves have pretty good rivalries with Milwaukee and Rockford.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:26 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
Huh? I beg to differ. I think the Wolves have pretty good rivalries with Milwaukee and Rockford.
I think the Wolves/Admirals rivalry has decreased. They need a year where both teams are good. Last year Chicago was down, this year it is Milwaukee's turn. But I still enjoy Haydar hitting somebody with his stick and then complaining to the ref if somebody even brushes against him. I almost miss Tibbetts.

One good line brawl or playoff battle will get it going again.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:59 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Just not the same as it was like a decade-15 years ago. The rosters change a decent amount in the summer and loyalty to organizations is few and far between. Also the attitude in players has changed. It's no longer about the name on the front of the sweater but the back.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:58 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Just not the same as it was like a decade-15 years ago. The rosters change a decent amount in the summer and loyalty to organizations is few and far between. Also the attitude in players has changed. It's no longer about the name on the front of the sweater but the back.
Chicago changed affiliates, so their roster changed 90% from last year.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:18 PM
IceHog1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Chicago changed affiliates, so their roster changed 90% from last year.
The Wolves slapped all Chicagoland hockey fans in the face by affiliating with the Vancouver Canucks.

IceHog1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:

I heard it had ticked up slightly but if it did go down you can probably atrribute it to a still very rough economy with Georgia having an unemployment rate over the national average and, some people may be boycotting hockey completely after the bad taste left in the mouth by the departure of the Thrashers.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:57 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Gwinnett's average attendance last year was 5,128, so far this year it's 5,129.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:59 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Gwinnett's average attendance last year was 5,128, so far this year it's 5,129.
Not sure how impressed I am giving how this years team is much better than last years.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
In a just world, Gwinnett would go AHL and the current ECHL Glads would move somewhere geographically relevant. Birmingham makes a lot of sense there for some reason.

Back to the original topic, wasn't one theory for the initial attendance dip the severely botched I-85 HOT project which increased congestion for those trying to get to games from points south?

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:14 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicaps View Post
In a just world, Gwinnett would go AHL and the current ECHL Glads would move somewhere geographically relevant. Birmingham makes a lot of sense there for some reason.

Back to the original topic, wasn't one theory for the initial attendance dip the severely botched I-85 HOT project which increased congestion for those trying to get to games from points south?
There was a hot rumor about the ECHL Glads moving East but it's not happening. Chapman said they aren't going anywhere anytime soon in an article recently. You know what that means...

ECHL has tried Birmingham before i'm pretty sure.

Old
02-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHog1962 View Post
The Wolves slapped all Chicagoland hockey fans in the face by affiliating with the Vancouver Canucks.

Really? How do you figure that? Because the canucks are such a huge rival that the hawks play a whopping 4 times during the regular season? I would think a bigger rivalry using the 4 games a year basis would be the Sharks since they basically f-ed the HAwks by tendering Hjalmersson that offer causing niemi to leave and go to SJ.

And I think a team drawing 5k per game average in the league would be better than one drawing 2500 per game.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:19 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
There was a hot rumor about the ECHL Glads moving East but it's not happening. Chapman said they aren't going anywhere anytime soon in an article recently. You know what that means...

ECHL has tried Birmingham before i'm pretty sure.
They did just renew their lease at Gwinnett for 3 more years this past offseason.