HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks pursuing Steve Ott (McKenzie)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2012, 01:07 AM
  #251
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
vancouver would by far be the most hated team icing a lineup of ott/lapierre/burrows/kesler.
We already are anyways.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:12 AM
  #252
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power
 
Bobby Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
As of right now Dallas is sitting in a playoff position. How likely is it that they actually sell and move Ott?
I think I read the Stars are looking to make a 'hockey trade'; not sell necessarily. I got the impression they wanted NHL players coming back if they're trading Ott; players that fill a need.

Bobby Lou is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:13 AM
  #253
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
As of right now Dallas is sitting in a playoff position. How likely is it that they actually sell and move Ott?
And would Gaglardi want any sort of a deal with the Canucks?

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:18 AM
  #254
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,985
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
And would Gaglardi want any sort of a deal with the Canucks?
I don't think a owner would get involved between a hockey deal......it about dallas and canucks not the two owners

canuck4life16 is online now  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:20 AM
  #255
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,905
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I think I read the Stars are looking to make a 'hockey trade'; not sell necessarily. I got the impression they wanted NHL players coming back if they're trading Ott; players that fill a need.
The reason being is because they need to add salary in the trade in order to stay above the cap floor, although who knows what they want. If Raymond for Ott gets it done, I do it in an instant.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:22 AM
  #256
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,985
vCash: 576
how reliable is Bob Mckenzie anyways....did he kind of called the Carter to LA trade?

canuck4life16 is online now  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:23 AM
  #257
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,602
vCash: 500
I would trade raymond in a second for ott, i think some of you are crazy, but i know some dont feel ott is better then raymond.

Orca Smash is online now  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:25 AM
  #258
OgoBoHo
Moderator
 
OgoBoHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
how reliable is Bob Mckenzie anyways....did he kind of called the Carter to LA trade?
I don't know....does being one of thee best in the business account for anything?

OgoBoHo is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:25 AM
  #259
OgoBoHo
Moderator
 
OgoBoHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
I would trade raymond in a second for ott, i think some of you are crazy, but i know some dont feel ott is better then raymond.
You're crazy if you don't do it. Ott is a clear upgrade.

OgoBoHo is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:26 AM
  #260
4th line energy guy
Registered User
 
4th line energy guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
I would trade raymond in a second for ott, i think some of you are crazy, but i know some dont feel ott is better then raymond.
I would too. I don't care if Raymond scores 30, Ott is a much more important piece to WINNING HOCKEY GAMES.

4th line energy guy is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:27 AM
  #261
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 500
McKenzie is most likely right about the Canucks pursuing Ott. Whether or not this trade happens is another thing.

I'm hoping acquiring Ott wouldn't cost anymore than a 2nd round pick and/or mid level prospect.

Wilch is online now  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:28 AM
  #262
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
McKenzie is most likely right about the Canucks pursuing Ott. Whether or not this trade happens is another thing.

I'm hoping acquiring Ott wouldn't cost anymore than a 2nd round pick and/or mid level prospect.
Yeah, I don't know if that'll be the case just looking at the cap.

Unless we send salary the other way it's hard to bring him in with a 2.83M cap hit.

timw33 is online now  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:28 AM
  #263
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,512
vCash: 500
I hate the guy. HATE. Which means I would love him.

kevinsane is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:30 AM
  #264
Ronaldo
★★★
 
Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,948
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
McKenzie is most likely right about the Canucks pursuing Ott. Whether or not this trade happens is another thing.

I'm hoping acquiring Ott wouldn't cost anymore than a 2nd round pick and/or mid level prospect.
You got to give to get. Players like Ott are ideal for mostly all contending teams, I highly doubt a 2 nd and a mid prospect would be the best offer.

Ronaldo is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:31 AM
  #265
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,905
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Yeah, I don't know if that'll be the case just looking at the cap.

Unless we send salary the other way it's hard to bring him in with a 2.83M cap hit.
Not to mention the fact that Dallas needs to acquire salary as much as we need to shed salary.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:32 AM
  #266
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 18,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
You got to give to get. Players like Ott are ideal for mostly all contending teams, I highly doubt a 2 nd and a mid prospect would be the best offer.
Wouldn't work for Dallas, or Vancouver with regards to the cap either. People need to understand Dallas' cap situation. Unless they add a bunch of salary somewhere else they can't dump any significant salary without going below the floor.

Canucker is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:33 AM
  #267
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,567
vCash: 500
A deal centered around Raymond-for-Ott would be ideal, IMO. I'm not a big detractor of Raymond, but Ott is a guy I'd easily move him for. Brings the same PK ability and streaky offense, but has the added dimensions of being strong on faceoffs and a big-time physical player/agitator on his side.

Dallas would get a younger/cheaper forward in return, although the Canucks may have to add.

Either way, I'd be very interested in Ott for his combo of skill and toughness.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:44 AM
  #268
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,549
vCash: 500
Raymond for Ott isn't something ideal long term and might be a mistake. I guess i'm one of the few that think Raymond still deserves another playoff drive before getting driven out of town. His speed creates a lot of space for his line (rather its Hodgson or Kesler's line) and is better offensive than Ott while being no worst defensive (you could probably argue he's better defensively too but defense is too subjective to argue but they are both decent in their own end).

What Ott does bring is fighting (tho not too many fights in the playoffs as shown by the fact enforcers generally don't even dress). He also hits a lot more which is important for a long series and takes faceoff. Him being a good faceoff taker is a plus but not as important to us as other teams since we already have Malhotra and Kesler (so we have an elite faceoff man on both sides).

Summary

Raymond Pros:
Speed
Better playmaker
Better offensive skillset
Cheaper (and RFA status after this season vs 3mil per for the next 2 years)
Scores the odd SO goal (not important during the playoffs but could make a difference in seeding given how often we get to a SO...)
Doesn't take a lot of PIM (Ott is generally among the league leader in minors)

Ott Pros:
Hits a ton
Good fighter
Good faceoff
Sticks up for teammates

denkiteki is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:48 AM
  #269
OgoBoHo
Moderator
 
OgoBoHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Raymond for Ott isn't something ideal long term and might be a mistake. I guess i'm one of the few that think Raymond still deserves another playoff drive before getting driven out of town. His speed creates a lot of space for his line (rather its Hodgson or Kesler's line) and is better offensive than Ott while being no worst defensive (you could probably argue he's better defensively too but defense is too subjective to argue but they are both decent in their own end).

What Ott does bring is fighting (tho not too many fights in the playoffs as shown by the fact enforcers generally don't even dress). He also hits a lot more which is important for a long series and takes faceoff. Him being a good faceoff taker is a plus but not as important to us as other teams since we already have Malhotra and Kesler (so we have an elite faceoff man on both sides).
Raymond kills offensive zone plays, more than he creates them.

OgoBoHo is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:51 AM
  #270
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
And would Gaglardi want any sort of a deal with the Canucks?
I think if there was any friction between the two owners, it would have reared its head already and not proceeded to get this far to waste either GM's time.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:51 AM
  #271
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I think if there was any friction between the two owners, it would have reared its head already and not proceeded to get this far to waste either GM's time.
Solid point.

Also, either side could be entertained by the idea of potentially "winning" a deal against the other.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:53 AM
  #272
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,332
vCash: 500
^Ott isn't just some agitating hitter anymore, he has scored goals the past 3 or 4 years.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:53 AM
  #273
Intoewsables
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
I don't think a owner would get involved between a hockey deal......it about dallas and canucks not the two owners
Charles Wang does it all the time, but then again, I doubt Gaglardi is that stupid/controlling.

Intoewsables is online now  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:56 AM
  #274
flack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
Ok Raymond for Ott is just not worth it.

flack is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:56 AM
  #275
OgoBoHo
Moderator
 
OgoBoHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
^Ott isn't just some agitating hitter anymore, he has scored goals the past 3 or 4 years.
Since 2009/2010:

Ott - 43 Goals
Raymond - 46 Goals

Since 2008/2009:

Ott - 62 Goals
Raymond - 57 Goals

Doesn't seem like a downgrade in goals to me.

OgoBoHo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.