HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lebrun doesn't think Gauthier will be back as GM

Old
02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
What I highlighted in bold has become the most tiring excuse and apology for Gauthier. The doctors said......

In the world of hockey and the world of real business, if a manager does not have a credible backup plan in place for unforseen problems, that manager does not keep his job for long.

Now tell us what Gauthier's backup plan was for Markov not being able to play?

We know what his reactionary results were. Campoli and Kaberle. Time for the clueless reactionary to go.
Amen.

The guy misses two years and we have to have a doctor tell us he's an injury risk? It was entirely predictable and was predicted by most on this board who aren't drinking the Kool-Aid with the funny stuff in it. There was absolutely no reason not to prepare for this and quite frankly Campioli on the dawn before camp doesn't cut it.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:02 PM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
get a big enough cannon to fire all three of them out of

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What's so funny about that?

If he hits UFA, take a run at him. Might as well try instead of just sitting back and being a clown.
Buy a lottery ticket, there's better odds than this happening.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:40 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Buy a lottery ticket, there's better odds than this happening.
Not really.

I heard on TSN 990 from either Ferraro or Freedman that Parise & Suter are the best of friends they would like to sign with the same team and would do a deal like those basketball playerslast year. Forget their names.

If we unload all our unproductive people (Kaberle, Campoli, Darche, Nokie, Gomez, Weber) and our productive player (Gionta), Montreal would be one of the few teams that could put in a bid for both players. Let's say 7-8 mil a year for 7 years. If they really want to play together we could get them for 6-7 mil.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Not really.

I heard on TSN 990 from either Ferraro or Freedman that Parise & Suter are the best of friends they would like to sign with the same team and would do a deal like those basketball playerslast year. Forget their names.

If we unload all our unproductive people (Kaberle, Campoli, Darche, Nokie, Gomez, Weber) and our productive player (Gionta), Montreal would be one of the few teams that could put in a bid for both players. Let's say 7-8 mil a year for 7 years. If they really want to play together we could get them for 6-7 mil.
In all honesty though... why would these guys choose Montreal? Why go to a 14th or 15th place team with high taxes? Unless these guys were Hab fans growing up, there's absolutely no reason for them to come here.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
In all honesty though... why would these guys choose Montreal? Why go to a 14th or 15th place team with high taxes? Unless these guys were Hab fans growing up, there's absolutely no reason for them to come here.
Wouldn't they pay only American taxes because they are both American citizens?

I thought that was one of the main reasons we went after Americans, not Quebec-born players .

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

I thought that was one of the main reasons we went after Americans, not Quebec-born players .
Haha nope. Not exactly how that works.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:35 PM
onice

Quote:
Well, Cammy, Moen, Gionta & Gill signed here.

With those 2 players we wouldn't be 14th.

Patches DD Cole
Parise Pleks AK
**** Eller Bourque
Moen White *****

Suter Subban
Markov (maybe) Emelin
Diaz Gorges

If we get a decent 3rd line winger and a 4th liner all we might need is a tough d man to replace a Markov in case he isn't healthy.

Last edited by onice: 02-22-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old
02-22-2012, 05:40 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

Taxes aren't calculated like that, but I'm pretty sure they have some really good accountants. The NHL and the Habs have never publicly addressed the tax issue, I'm sure it has to do with a whole lot of loop-holes and maneuvering.

The Habs got sold to the Molsons and not a dime went to the government. This **** is all kinds of slippery.

That said, RA RA NO ONE LIKES THE HABS UFAS HATE IT HERE.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Well, Cammy, Moen, Gionta & Gill signed here.

With those 2 players we wouldn't be 14th.
We've been good at signing the lesser players who are in it for the cash. We overpay and they come here. A top notch guy like Suter though? I don't see it.

No we wouldn't be in 14th with them... but so what? We are now so why would they come here?

Quote:
Patches DD Cole
Parise Pleks AK
**** Eller Bourque
Moen White *****

Suter Subban
Markov (maybe) Emelin
Diaz Gorges

If we get a decent 3rd line winger and a 4th liner all we might need is a tough d man to replace a Markov in case he isn't healthy.
Or they could go to a team without the holes that we have, make more cash, have a better chance at winning a cup...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Taxes aren't calculated like that, but I'm pretty sure they have some really good accountants. The NHL and the Habs have never publicly addressed the tax issue, I'm sure it has to do with a whole lot of loop-holes and maneuvering.

The Habs got sold to the Molsons and not a dime went to the government. This **** is all kinds of slippery.

That said, RA RA NO ONE LIKES THE HABS UFAS HATE IT HERE.
Don't hold your breath waiting for a superstar UFA to come here. We've never managed to get one.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Don't hold your breath waiting for a superstar UFA to come here. We've never managed to get one.
Well, people were saying Cammalleri was one.

But you haven't seen many people not jubilating at his departure.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Not really.

that would be one hell of a coup...

not likely, but not impossible.

aside from being friends and looking to play together for a team with the ability ($$) to build a winner, they are also both from "hockey" families. granted both grew up in the U.S, perhaps their hockey bloodlines would/could make them more inclined to value playing for a team with a big history... no one does "tradition" quite like the habs.

in any case, simply by removing Gomez/Kaberle, and not re-signing Kost, we'd easily have the cap space to bring both in at ~7M$.
would make Subban/Price/Patches/Eller new deals a bit tougher, but if Markov stays off the books I think it still works.

imagine...

Parise - Pleks - Gionta
Cole - DD - Patches
Leblanc - Eller - Bourque
White - UFA - Moen

Subban - Suter
Diaz - Gorges
Weber - Emelin

Price
Budaj

that's contender material... and for a long, LONG time!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:32 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

imagine...

Parise - Pleks - Gionta
Cole - DD - Patches
Leblanc - Eller - Bourque
White - UFA - Moen

Subban - Suter
Diaz - Gorges
Weber - Emelin

Price
Budaj

that's contender material... and for a long, LONG time!
Although I posted that lineup with AK on it, I'm open to trading him at this deadline but I really don't want Gionta & Weber. We need to upgrade those two.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Amen.

The guy misses two years and we have to have a doctor tell us he's an injury risk? It was entirely predictable and was predicted by most on this board who aren't drinking the Kool-Aid with the funny stuff in it. There was absolutely no reason not to prepare for this and quite frankly Campioli on the dawn before camp doesn't cut it.
But those are two different things.
Re-signing Markov is one, not getting a depth Dman is another.

The people that say ''the doctors said'' aren't saying we didn't need a back up.
They're just not blaming Gauthier for the outcome of Markov's situation. That doesn't mean he didn't screw up by not bringing in depth.

Markov is not someone you let walk. I would have taken the same decision 10 times out of 10. But, I would also have signed another D that could fill in as a safety net.

The defense was just poorly built this year. But I think there's also a part of Gauthier that wanted to leave some room for youngsters when injuries happened.

Who really knows what was going on in his head, but that's my take on it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
But those are two different things.
Re-signing Markov is one, not getting a depth Dman is another.

The people that say ''the doctors said'' aren't saying we didn't need a back up.
They're just not blaming Gauthier for the outcome of Markov's situation. That doesn't mean he didn't screw up by not bringing in depth.

Markov is not someone you let walk. I would have taken the same decision 10 times out of 10. But, I would also have signed another D that could fill in as a safety net.

The defense was just poorly built this year. But I think there's also a part of Gauthier that wanted to leave some room for youngsters when injuries happened.

Who really knows what was going on in his head, but that's my take on it.
I didn't like the length of Markov's deal but I'll assume he had us over a barrel on it. It's fine that he signed him. The problem was taking the doctors at face value and assuming everything would be fine. It wasn't and it resulted in disaster because there was no backup plan.

Bottom line is that blaming the doctors is a cop out. This fiasco is on PG.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I didn't like the length of Markov's deal but I'll assume he had us over a barrel on it. It's fine that he signed him. The problem was taking the doctors at face value and assuming everything would be fine. It wasn't and it resulted in disaster because there was no backup plan.

Bottom line is that blaming the doctors is a cop out. This fiasco is on PG.
I don't think taking the doctors at face value was a mistake. Because even if they were absolutely positive about it, there's always a risk. So you know for a fact, there's no way they said 100%. Knowing that, and the fact he has barely played in 2 years, should have forced management to start the year with a plan B. Gauthier decided to take a huge gamble instead, that was dumb.

Even if they told Gauthier, Markov is doing very well, his knee is holding up perfectly, he should be ready by the early part of the year, all is peachy and sunny, he should still have approached the situation in thinking what if it isn't, or what if he gets injured 5 games after returning. He didn't. That's the mistake.

At the end of the day though, you're right, it's all on Gauthier. Even if the Doctors made a mistake, which is very possible, they're not the ones managing the Habs and Gauthier should have known better than to not have a back up player capable of filling in case of injuries. It's just a bad decision.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:08 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think taking the doctors at face value was a mistake. Because even if they were absolutely positive about it, there's always a risk. So you know for a fact, there's no way they said 100%. Knowing that, and the fact he has barely played in 2 years, should have forced management to start the year with a plan B. Gauthier decided to take a huge gamble instead, that was dumb.

Even if they told Gauthier, Markov is doing very well, his knee is holding up perfectly, he should be ready by the early part of the year, all is peachy and sunny, he should still have approached the situation in thinking what if it isn't, or what if he gets injured 5 games after returning. He didn't. That's the mistake.

At the end of the day though, you're right, it's all on Gauthier. Even if the Doctors made a mistake, which is very possible, they're not the ones managing the Habs and Gauthier should have known better than to not have a back up player capable of filling in case of injuries. It's just a bad decision.
Gauthier is paid the big bucks to make decisions. He gambled and he lost. And now he's gonna loose his job even if he can get tremendous return for AK, Moen and whoever....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:23 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Monday April 9th at 9:00 AM
Molson will have a press conference to announce the following:

"Good Morning Everyone, Bonjour"

"This morning I have relieved Mr. Gauthier of his duties as General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens, I would like to thank Mr. Gauthier for his service to Club de Hockey Canadiens and wish him the very best in his future endeavors.

In addition, Mr. Gainey will not be returning in his role as a senior advisor to this organization. I would sincerely like to thank Bob for his years of service to this orginization as both a player and in the various management positions he has held. I wish nothing but the very best for him in the future.

The search for a new General Manager will begin immediately and we will have a successful candidate in place before the NHL draft in June. In addition to preparing for the draft, the General Manager will be reviewing all aspects of the hockey operations including the coaching staff.

These decisions were not easy to make, especially when you consider the experience and hockey knowledge of that both Bob and Pierre have.

I will not be answering questions at this time, thank you."

MODS.... please tag this!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Monday April 9th at 9:00 AM
Molson will have a press conference to announce the following:

"Good Morning Everyone, Bonjour"

"This morning I have relieved Mr. Gauthier of his duties as General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens, I would like to thank Mr. Gauthier for his service to Club de Hockey Canadiens and wish him the very best in his future endeavors.

In addition, Mr. Gainey will not be returning in his role as a senior advisor to this organization. I would sincerely like to thank Bob for his years of service to this orginization as both a player and in the various management positions he has held. I wish nothing but the very best for him in the future.

The search for a new General Manager will begin immediately and we will have a successful candidate in place before the NHL draft in June. In addition to preparing for the draft, the General Manager will be reviewing all aspects of the hockey operations including the coaching staff.

These decisions were not easy to make, especially when you consider the experience and hockey knowledge of that both Bob and Pierre have.

I will not be answering questions at this time, thank you."

MODS.... please tag this!
perhaps but why is Gauthier still pulling the strings then?

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote