HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ vs. San Jose Sharks (Tues Feb 21 7pm)

Old
02-21-2012, 10:28 PM
bizzz*

vCash: 500
That was 3 hattricks for the Jackets tonight...
Umberger with Gordie Howe
Carter with goals
Prospal with assists.

I think we better get a chance to see more of this team.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:33 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline

Arch City Army ... you out there? #CBJ captain Rick Nash heard you, and thanked you. His quote upcoming ...

#NYR fans on Sunday serenaded Nash with "We Don't Want You!" Tonight, #CBJ fans came back with "We Want Nasher!"

Here's Nash: "You always hear them shouting stuff. I wasn’t too sure (what they were saying), but I’ve never questioned our fans loyalty..

More Nash: "I’ve said it right from day one, that we have some of the best fans in the league. For them to be as patient ..."

More Nash: "... as they have been with our team, I have 110 percent respect for them."
This pleases me.
Not an ACA member, but happy to see them get props for tonight. Even happier to hear Nasher got the message.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:35 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
This pleases me.
Me as well. I hope Howson was watching. Hell, I hope JPM was watching.

The only nuclear option that should be considered is a tactical strike on the front office.

GMSH, in trading Nash, would be trying to fix several of his own mistakes with one bigger one.

DO NOT WANT.

in other news, some pics from the game. first time I've ever sat in this spot. couldn't imagine having a better time than we had tonight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnwoo...th/6919459171/

Last edited by SuperGenius: 02-21-2012 at 10:56 PM.
SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:56 PM
EDM

This was such a pleasure to watch. So much fun. Ahhhh, what could have been.

Savard is the real deal...... but we could still use Johnson and dump Methot.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:02 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
This was such a pleasure to watch. So much fun. Ahhhh, what could have been.

Savard is the real deal...... but we could still use Johnson and dump Methot.
I was thinking the same tonight. We need upgrades for Clitsome and Methot - defensive defensemen.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
That was 3 hattricks for the Jackets tonight...
Umberger with Gordie Howe
Carter with goals
Prospal with assists.

I think we better get a chance to see more of this team.
in fairness...this is same team that played Chicago.

Tonight was awesome though...

IHeartZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:40 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I cannot believe my eyes...

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Me as well. I hope Howson was watching. Hell, I hope JPM was watching.

The only nuclear option that should be considered is a tactical strike on the front office.

GMSH, in trading Nash, would be trying to fix several of his own mistakes with one bigger one.

DO NOT WANT.

in other news, some pics from the game. first time I've ever sat in this spot. couldn't imagine having a better time than we had tonight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnwoo...th/6919459171/
First row? Maybe you got on TV.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
in fairness...this is same team that played Chicago.

Tonight was awesome though...
The beginning of Chicago game wasn't that bad. But then Mason and unstable defense (you can't even call it a defense with Lebda and Johnson) blew it as usually. Last night Washington lost 6:0 - we're not alone.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Watching the first period of the game since I had to miss it due to errands. I figured if we score four goals, it's worth watching.

That was a crap call on Joe Pavelski for snowing the goalie, though.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:29 AM
BVBlue

Great game for Columbus; one of their few games this year that have been real fun to watch. Whatever happens in the next week, I just hope that the resultant team can put on a show like that every single game

BVBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:36 AM
CBJCougar

Sweetest game EVER!!

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Cyclones Rock

I really hope Nash isn't traded. He is a special talent. Perhaps not a special Captain, but man can he bring it. That goal was something most players in the league can't fashion. His passing was superb-as it usually is. Replacing him (even with the first pick) is highly unlikely.

Trade anyone else, but not Nash. Or Dorsett or MacKenzie

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:29 AM
EDM

Reading Puckrakers this morning was a pleasure ... for once. They got the perfect theme. What could have been? What could have been?

Richards has these guys doing the things you are supposed to do to win hockey games. There is traffic in front of the net. Clean passes that actually go to other people on the ice wearing CBJ jerseys. Defensive responsibility (another way of saying AJ was not on the ice)......

The combination of Arniel, Mason and the joke that passed for a defense at the start of the season ruined something that really could have been special. Tonite showed this is actually the most talented team that was ever assembled in CBJ uniforms. Failure of the GM to pay attention to the little details needed to finish the product that undercut what could have been a special year.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:49 AM
EspenK

and the last shall be first

Jackets 6-3

Edmonton 6-1

A perfect night

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:14 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Hey, we changed our DEE-TROIT SUCKS chant to HOWSON SUCKS and got a whole bunch of people into it! That was fun. I feel slightly better now.
lee, were you in section 103 (hmm, wearing a #77 sweater with "Smith" on the back)?

EDM, I spotted you in 121 and came around between periods to find you, but we must have just missed connections.

As for the game...BIG FUN!!!

I usually sit about 18 rows up and in the corner (a much better view of the ice), but sitting behind the bench was a very interesting experience. There's much more interaction among player (of both teams), coaches, and officials. On TV or from my seats, it often seems that nobody is talking to anybody (except for Dorsett's constant chirping!), but there is quite a bit more going on than I realized. The players are also much more engaged and relaxed than can be seen from above - Carter and Nash talk more than I had realized, guys joke and smile more than I thought, and the officials have a much more relaxed and animated interaction with the bench than I knew of. All in all, the game of professional hockey looks like it is a whole lot more fun for the players, up close, than it does from a distance!

Last edited by pete goegan: 02-22-2012 at 07:30 AM.
pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:37 AM
blahblah

Fun game to watch. I'm not going to get into who should stay/go based on a single game high. Shouldn't affect the front office, however, it might.

This was the team that I thought we would see more of. Wonder what the team will look like next week and the beginning of next season.

But for one night, it was fun to be a Jackets fan again.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:40 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Fun game to watch. I'm not going to get into who should stay/go based on a single game high. Shouldn't affect the front office, however, it might.

This was the team that I thought we would see more of. Wonder what the team will look like next week and the beginning of next season.

But for one night, it was fun to be a Jackets fan again.
Absolutely!

Old
02-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Bobcat110

Fun to see how the other half lives and how frustrated the other team was after that Johansen check. Really peeved though that I've worn a beat up hat for the last two-three years waiting for a hat trick to get rid of it....threw it down from the upper bowl thinking it'd get forwarded down to the ice, but it landed next to the only two guys in the arena who didn't seem to have any idea what was going on.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:01 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
Fun to see how the other half lives and how frustrated the other team was after that Johansen check. Really peeved though that I've worn a beat up hat for the last two-three years waiting for a hat trick to get rid of it....threw it down from the upper bowl thinking it'd get forwarded down to the ice, but it landed next to the only two guys in the arena who didn't seem to have any idea what was going on.
The Johan was very active and physical, tonight, but it was really great to see RJ jump in to protect the kid from having to fight. Too little of that sort of camaraderie has been seen around here.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:24 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

On the negative side...

1) You have to wonder how this win makes ownership/Howson think they've been on the right track, just need patience.

2) You have to assume that Carter and Nasher's price just went up, making deadline trades less possible.

Worst case scenario: we start playing too much better.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:31 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
On the negative side...

1) You have to wonder how this win makes ownership/Howson think they've been on the right track, just need patience.

2) You have to assume that Carter and Nasher's price just went up, making deadline trades less possible.

Albeit through twitter, and a "second hand from the team" source in Dreger, Howson said that Ownership has been very supportive. My guess is Howson and Priest have free reign to at least make one more big mess of this before the axe seriously starts to be sharpened. And if the nuclear option is truly on the table, Howson and Priest have bought themselves several years more of job security.

As far as Nash goes, I'm not sure his price could go much higher with some on the board here. There is no value for being the "face of the franchise" outside of Columbus.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:06 AM
blahblah

Another fun fact edition.

We have had a recent 5-3-1 stretch. Now it's time to go behind the numbers.

Goals - 25
GFA - 2.78
Goals Against - 26
GAA - 2.89
PPG - 12
PP% - 30.77%
SHG - 5
PK% - 79.17%
Specialty Team Differential - +7
ESGF - 13
ESGA - 21
Even Strength Goals Differential - -8

In summary, we are winning with special teams right now. The PK% is still rather poor. The PP is out of sight. 5 on 5 is terrible. Unless something changes, this streak is not sustainable. A more sustainable 20% on the PP would have netted four less goals.

Bottom line, 5 on 5 we stink. The PK still isn't very good, we need that around 85%. But then again if we take out the one game "anomaly", the PK was 90% for the other 7. Maybe it is coming around.

We are now ranked 16th on the PP. At least we are middle of the road on something.

Just as a FYI, a 20% PP and 85% PK would have us at a -24 goal differential for the year.

Last edited by blahblah: 02-22-2012 at 09:19 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
On the negative side...

Not seeing how this is a negative. And there's no deadline to deal for the CBJ...there's just a blackout period that begins on Monday through the end of the season.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote