HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign Dorsett !!

Old
02-20-2012, 11:56 PM
m8n8

vCash: 500
Sign Dorsett !!

I'm of the opinion that Prospal AND Dorsett deserve contracts next year. 10 goals from a scrapper? 177 PIMS. 5 Ast. 94 shots.

Dorsett, has been without question, the hardest working Bluejacket this year. If they truly are going nuclear, you could do worse than building your team around guys like Prospal and Dorsett.

Even if you're not going nuclear, Dorsett is in my opinion, a huge upgrade from Pahlsson.

Where are we with Dorsett? Who's in charge around here?

m8n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Howson will sign Dorsett to a stupid contract probably.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:07 AM
m8n8

I'd be happy with 1.333/year for 1, 2, or 3 years.

m8n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:09 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8n8 View Post
I'd be happy with 1.333/year for 1, 2, or 3 years.
Dorse, is that you?? LOL

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:15 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Dorsett will sign the 5yr/10m contract with one hand, and fistbump Mike and Scott with the other.

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:42 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

More than happy to report that we're halfway there. Prospal, much to the surprise (and delight) of everyone here, re-signed a couple weeks ago:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1101503

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8n8 View Post
Where are we with Dorsett?
Who cares. He's a RFA. There is no hurry.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
frito

I'd like to see both Dorse and TMac re-signed. Both are hard palying, hard skating, pay attention to details type of guys. They are not going to be leading the team in points but they will hold the team accountable. You need guys like this on your team to win.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
I'd like to see both Dorse and TMac re-signed. Both are hard palying, hard skating, pay attention to details type of guys. They are not going to be leading the team in points but they will hold the team accountable. You need guys like this on your team to win.
I must agree. I've been forced to alter, though not completely change, my opinion on Dorsett, this year. He still takes too many stupid penalties and needs to learn, as Boll did, when to walk away; but he always gives everything he has and demonstrated more skill than I ever would have thought he had in him. As for DMac, no need to change my opinion, he never lets up and has continued to prove his value to a team that, too often, fails to meet the intensity of the opposition.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
I agree with Blah, no hurry, that is what has gotten us into this mess ( long term contracts )

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:37 AM
DaveCBJ
Boom. Outta here.

I would prefer to see Howson sign Dorse before the season ends (which he probably won't) just to send a message like "We see you busting your ass every shift and we are going to reward you."

DaveCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:44 AM
FunKingJackets
Winning is the Fun

Can you build a team from bottom up? It seems we have always tried to force good 3rd and 4th liners up away from their strength. let's build a solid, best in the league 3rd and 4th line. Then, if we keep Carter or Nash, whatever, we fill the 2nd and 1st lines with youth. I think Dorsett fits in that model.

FunKingJackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBusChill View Post
I would prefer to see Howson sign Dorse before the season ends (which he probably won't) just to send a message like "We see you busting your ass every shift and we are going to reward you."
No, the best message is that business has changed. I expect Dorse will be back, but as Blah said there is no rush. The odds of someone like Dorsett getting offer-sheeted is almost negligible. Even if he did, the Jackets would be compensated with picks and, as good as a team guy as Dorse is, he's not the hardest guy to replace.

No more early-negotiated long-term golden parachutes like Brass, Mase, Umberger, Vermette, Tyutin and (in some people's eyes) Nash got. Sucks that Dorse and DMac are the ones who this policy change would affect, but I hope it's the new rule of business here.

Right now, with all the variables in play, the front office does not have a firm idea who will be on the roster next year. Let's see how the dominoes fall before we start worrying about how our impending RFA's fit in.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
No more early-negotiated long-term golden parachutes like Brass, Mase, Umberger, Vermette, Tyutin and (in some people's eyes) Nash got. Sucks that Dorse and DMac are the ones who this policy change would affect, but I hope it's the new rule of business here.

Right now, with all the variables in play, the front office does not have a firm idea who will be on the roster next year. Let's see how the dominoes fall before we start worrying about how our impending RFA's fit in.
Brassard and Mason I agree with, but not so much the others. I'm not that worried about the Dorsett and McKenzie's contracts. They will get roughly 1 million per year for a pair of guys that have proven themselves already, as opposed to Brassard and Mason who hadn't really proven anything yet when they were resigned. Resigning a pair of solid bottom six skaters is a different animal altogether from a rookie top 6 center and a 2nd year starting netminder.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
We have guys like this on our team and we're not winning...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:55 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
this much is true

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:29 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So...

We should only have guys on our team that are unlike all those we've had up till now? Should Howson be scouting South America and Sub-Saharan Africa?

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:38 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
So...

We should only have guys on our team that are unlike all those we've had up till now? Should Howson be scouting South America and Sub-Saharan Africa?
Please dont give him any ideas

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
So...

I've heard crazier suggestions. Besides, there's some damn good athletes there.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
frito

Quote:
No kidding. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if we didn't have anybody who gave 100% every shift? Let's get rid of these two and bring back Filly and Z so we can replace Dorse & TMac's heart with their skill.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Give me a team of Dorsetts and MacKenzies any day of the week over a team of Carters and Umgarbagers.

May not win much, but won't make me want to lose my supper either.

Cyclones Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:29 PM
FANonymous

I just found it humorous that someone was making the claim "you don't win without these guys on the roster" when it's obvious that we don't win even with those guys on the roster. I'm not against signing them but obviously they aren't the magical auto-win puzzle pieces that some make them out to be.

Some people want a team of all dmacs and dorsetts, I would prefer a team that wins consistently whatever the team makeup is. I don't think a team of Double D's and Dmacs is going to win very often, but sure it would make the losses more palatable I guess. Why are we shooting for being ok with losing though? Wouldn't that be a part of the losing culture around here?

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Give me a team of Dorsetts and MacKenzies any day of the week over a team of Carters and Umgarbagers.

May not win much, but won't make me want to lose my supper either.
Amazing. The one bad year isn't even done yet and he's already gone from "hardest working player on the CBJ and MVP" several years in a row to... this.

Y'know, it's possible to overdo "what have you done for me lately"...

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Xoggz22

Dorsett will be re-signed in due time. I am quite certain he would recognize that there are bigger things to tend to at this time and prior to the draft than getting him a new contract. I've changed my tune on him this year and would be happy to see him back for another 2 years, 3 max. On a team full of suck he's shown he can play above it and provides the energy and grit as well as plays the game for 60 minutes. He's a perfect bottom 6 guy that would be good for most teams in the NHL.

No one should be judged, individually, as part of the problem. The team, collective, has been a problem and several individuals have provided more than their share of contribution. When you can play above your "norm" on a team like this I have to think that's showing value to the club, fans and players.

Now how do we get rid of some of these others? Oh yeah, there's a thread for that.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:52 PM
FunKingJackets
Winning is the Fun

Quote:
I just found it humorous that someone was making the claim "you don't win without these guys on the roster" when it's obvious that we don't win even with those guys on the roster. I'm not against signing them but obviously they aren't the magical auto-win puzzle pieces that some make them out to be.

Some people want a team of all dmacs and dorsetts, I would prefer a team that wins consistently whatever the team makeup is. I don't think a team of Double D's and Dmacs is going to win very often, but sure it would make the losses more palatable I guess. Why are we shooting for being ok with losing though? Wouldn't that be a part of the losing culture around here?
I think the real secret is how do you get a player of premier talent to play with their desire and intensity? From my life experiences, having guys like that around you helps.

FunKingJackets is offline   Reply With Quote