HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Financial Woes Could Be Over

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
  #201
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
so wait a minute, the NHL wanting to review the deal scared the investor off? Like they didn't expect the NHL to do that? What crap. I would not be surprised if there were issues but the BS speculation the Post comes up with for reasons is just so laughably bad it is amazing.
My thoughts exactly. I can't take any of these articles seriously anymore because the reasoning behind each "development" just gets more asinine.

Quote:
Vanderbeek also has to sign a slew of players by that same July 1 date, including forward Zach Parise and goalie legend Martin Brodeur, or they will become unrestricted free agents. Players whose contracts are ending won’t re-up until the ownership issue is resolved, a source said.
That part made me laugh

Scott04 is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
  #202
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.
 
MasterofGrond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,590
vCash: 500

MasterofGrond is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 11:55 AM
  #203
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mulberry & Edison
Country: United States
Posts: 16,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Have the Devils set a date with the state of the franchise yet? That would really be a lawnchair and popcorn show, too bad I wasn't eligible for it this year lol.
April 7, prior to the game vs Ottawa.

Devils Dominion is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
  #204
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 25,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
so wait a minute, the NHL wanting to review the deal scared the investor off? Like they didn't expect the NHL to do that? What crap. I would not be surprised if there were issues but the BS speculation the Post comes up with for reasons is just so laughably bad it is amazing.
I agree. But it could also just be phrased poorly...

Quote:
The NHL wanted to review the deal and scared off the investor, sources said.
In other words, as written, it appears a review scared off the investor, which makes no sense. But, it could also mean, the NHL scared off the investor in addition to the review process (i.e. poor writing).

At any rate, the framework of detail the Post has reported thus far is accurate enough.

For the many of you who keep saying of these Post articles, "too little details" and "too much speculation" on these reports, well, yeah, that's the game. You're NEVER going to get 100% accurate/perfect reporting on M&A deals, it just doesnt work like that, and if it did, someone should either be fired or potentially hauled off to jail. The fact that Kosman even knows the name of the obscure little boutique I-bank that's involved in this deal is all you need to know that he is plugged into someone. In this case, my guess is ALL Kosman found out was that the deal was off (which IS a major new detail if true), but he knew he couldn't write a "one sentence article" just saying, "the deal's off",

BenedictGomez is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 12:11 PM
  #205
Drewr15
Registered User
 
Drewr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I agree. But it could also just be phrased poorly...



In other words, as written, it appears a review scared off the investor, which makes no sense. But, it could also mean, the NHL scared off the investor in addition to the review process (i.e. poor writing).

At any rate, the framework of detail the Post has reported thus far is accurate enough.

For the many of you who keep saying of these Post articles, "too little details" and "too much speculation" on these reports, well, yeah, that's the game. You're NEVER going to get 100% accurate/perfect reporting on M&A deals, it just doesnt work like that, and if it did, someone should either be fired or potentially hauled off to jail. The fact that Kosman even knows the name of the obscure little boutique I-bank that's involved in this deal is all you need to know that he is plugged into someone. In this case, my guess is ALL Kosman found out was that the deal was off (which IS a major new detail if true), but he knew he couldn't write a "one sentence article" just saying, "the deal's off",
But saying they wanted to review and scared them off makes no sense either because your implying that the thought of the NHL reviewing it is scary to the investor. That's ridiculous. Saying after they had reviewed it and the NHL scared them off or declined the investor is plausible. Even with your rephrasing it's still just BS speculation.

Drewr15 is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
  #206
onefatsurfer
I speak in code
 
onefatsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
Sounds like the review brought conditions from the NHL, which the investor didn't like. Something like "The team cannot be moved to Canada" would scare off a potential Canadian investor, for example

onefatsurfer is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 01:38 PM
  #207
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,004
vCash: 500
So are we back to square one?

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
  #208
njdss4
Logic dictates...
 
njdss4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Anaheim
Country: United States
Posts: 3,802
vCash: 500
I didn't really expect this to be resolved until the offseason.

njdss4 is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 01:47 PM
  #209
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
Sounds like the review brought conditions from the NHL, which the investor didn't like. Something like "The team cannot be moved to Canada" would scare off a potential Canadian investor, for example
If that's really the issue then it was nice knowing you, JVB. Just please don't sell to someone with the billions of dollars it would take to buy out the TV and arena deals.

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
  #210
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 25,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
Sounds like the review brought conditions from the NHL, which the investor didn't like.
Which is also entirely possible.

Or, "we're going to review this momentarily, but we can tell you right now that XYZ is non-negotiable, so rework that before our review", and the investor said, "no dice".

Like I said, given that it makes absolutely no sense as written, I think that it's likely that it's just a poorly written sentence.

BenedictGomez is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 02:09 PM
  #211
Drewr15
Registered User
 
Drewr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
So wait a minute, we are saying that this guy can't even properly get across in a simple sentence wording that the NHL had conditions that scared off the investor but we're supposed to take everything else he says seriously. Sorry I just see a lot of grasping at straws in this article and here trying to explain it away.

Drewr15 is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 02:13 PM
  #212
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose
 
PADevil3034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
I hope this gets resolved in the near future.

I know it isn't imminent, but I would be crushed if this team got relocated.

PADevil3034 is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 02:17 PM
  #213
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mulberry & Edison
Country: United States
Posts: 16,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils3034 View Post
I hope this gets resolved in the near future.

I know it isn't imminent, but I would be crushed if this team got relocated.
That's not an option or consideration.

Devils Dominion is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
  #214
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Meh. That's like they had an empty paragraph in the paper and they needed someone to fill it.

The business end of this news is also getting much too far separated from the hockey end of the news. If whatever was arranged in the last month had(s) actually fallen through, JVB wouldn't even be the owner of the team anymore, so it would be moot writing about him in the first place.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
  #215
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 25,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
So wait a minute, we are saying that this guy can't even properly get across in a simple sentence wording that the NHL had conditions that scared off the investor but we're supposed to take everything else he says seriously. Sorry I just see a lot of grasping at straws in this article and here trying to explain it away.
1) Quite possibly, yes.
2) Everything? No. I already addressed that though
3) Likely because you're seeing what you want to see. Kosman is clearly plugged into some channel of this deal in some capacity, and is getting information. To deny that at this point is to be in denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Meh. That's like they had an empty paragraph in the paper and they needed someone to fill it.
It's like I was saying, he only had ONE new detail, and you cant write an article around that, but that ONE new detail, was really important, so there you go.......

BenedictGomez is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
  #216
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
1) Quite possibly, yes.
2) Everything? No. I already addressed that though
3) Likely because you're seeing what you want to see. Kosman is clearly plugged into some channel of this deal in some capacity, and is getting information. To deny that at this point is to be in denial.



It's like I was saying, he only had ONE new detail, and you cant write an article around that, but that ONE new detail, was really important, so there you go.......
Not really because no one ever explained what the deal was, or any details of it, except for the name of the shady bank that rose out of the ground to back it.

It could have been a putrid last gasp attempt to keep the team, it could have been nothing, who knows. It's just it's gotten so detached from the actual hockey story.
If this is true that they presented something to the league, and the league sniffed it out, JVB doesn't matter anymore. Who owes what doesn't matter anymore, it's the league's team now, then. They don't let you wait around until 7/1 to straighten things out when they have to operate your organization.

Not that it may not have been in some capacities already.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 02:43 PM
  #217
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
Sounds like the review brought conditions from the NHL, which the investor didn't like. Something like "The team cannot be moved to Canada" would scare off a potential Canadian investor, for example
I don't think we'd want an owner who had visions of the team with one foot out the door anyway. Any new owner should be committed to Newark. If that's really what scared this mystery angel investor off, good riddance.

Saugus is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 02:57 PM
  #218
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 25,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Not really because no one ever explained what the deal was, or any details of it, except for the name of the shady bank that rose out of the ground to back it.
As I said, you're not likely to get all that, and you shouldn't.

But I do believe him in that there was an investor and that that investor has now fled, given the fact that Kosman knows extremely specific details like what little brand-spanking new I-bank (that probably has all of about 10 or 12 employees) they were working with.

BenedictGomez is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 08:44 PM
  #219
Drewr15
Registered User
 
Drewr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
1) Quite possibly, yes.
2) Everything? No. I already addressed that though
3) Likely because you're seeing what you want to see. Kosman is clearly plugged into some channel of this deal in some capacity, and is getting information. To deny that at this point is to be in denial.
Ha ha. So wait a minute, you have rearranged the writer's words to fit the narrative you are supposing happened but I am the one seeing what I want to see. The fact that you actually typed that and seriously meant it is hysterical. I am starting to think your kosman.

Drewr15 is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 08:17 AM
  #220
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 25,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
Ha ha. So wait a minute, you have rearranged the writer's words to fit the narrative you are supposing happened but I am the one seeing what I want to see. The fact that you actually typed that and seriously meant it is hysterical. I am starting to think your kosman.
I dont know what you're talking about given I didnt rearrage his words, I simply explained how it could be a poorly written sentence.

Do you honestly even know who Josh Kosman is?

That was a rhetorical question, so let me help you out there, he's a financial investigative reporter, that has specialized in M&A and private equity for more than a decade now. That's what he writes about.

Seriously, your theory that he's making this all up is ridiculous, and is the only thing here written to "fit the narrative" you want to believe. That narrative being - "The Devils are Okay"

Yeah, he's going to absolutely destroy his journalism career by making up stories about a hockey team.

BenedictGomez is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 08:40 AM
  #221
Drewr15
Registered User
 
Drewr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I dont know what you're talking about given I didnt rearrage his words, I simply explained how it could be a poorly written sentence.

Do you honestly even know who Josh Kosman is?

That was a rhetorical question, so let me help you out there, he's a financial investigative reporter, that has specialized in M&A and private equity for more than a decade now. That's what he writes about.

Seriously, your theory that he's making this all up is ridiculous, and is the only thing here written to "fit the narrative" you want to believe. That narrative being - "The Devils are Okay"

Yeah, he's going to absolutely destroy his journalism career by making up stories about a hockey team.
Your right I'm sorry, you didn't rearrange the words - you CHANGED them to fit the fun story you have made up. The fact that you can't even see that you did that shows how smug you are about this and explains why you think it is ok for Kosman to do it. Never did I say the Devils are ok - once again making things up to fit the story you want. I simply pointed out his speculations clearly make no sense instead of making up some ******** fantasy I know no details about like you have done. But your right, clearly nobody at the much respected Post ever makes up any kind of speculation for fear of harming their sterling journalism careers. I can't even take you seriously anymore as a poster after this.

Drewr15 is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 08:54 AM
  #222
theking72
Confucius Ackbar
 
theking72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,063
vCash: 500
Every financial deal goes down to the wire, that's how you get the best deal, using the time pressure to force concessions. Won't be resolved until the last possible second that it needs to be resolved, so just ignore.

theking72 is online now  
Old
03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
  #223
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
 
GameSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,587
vCash: 500
Well, I'm in the smoke and fire camp. I think there is enough reason to strongly conclude that things are not rosy in the Devils' coffers. And I do believe, given Kosman's connections and reputation that he has some probable details mixed with some inference. I mean, some things are more or less taken as fact already.... the team missing an $80M payment and being advanced cash from the league, for example. Is it so far fetched that a reporter might have some knowledge that a pending investor has backed out, the vagueness of the rationale notwithstanding... After all, he's only paraphrasing a "source" there.

Now, comments like "Players whose contracts are ending won’t re-up until the ownership issue is resolved" are so open to speculation as to be nearly devoid of meaning... If true at all, is it because they can't (under orders from the league), won't (as to allow the the team to settle their issues) or choose not to (due to uncertainty).

That's why I much rather try to separate the likely true information from the chaff and speculation. And that it is likely that a prospective deal to resolve/reorganize a significant portion of the debt has fallen through.

Hopefully, all is resolved sooner rather than later but until something conclusive is revealed, we'll have to deal with occasional and piecemeal information.

GameSeven is online now  
Old
03-16-2012, 09:20 AM
  #224
njdevil26
Registered User
 
njdevil26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Clark, NJ
Country: Italy
Posts: 6,197
vCash: 500
I just wonder who the source could be. With the way the Devils are in terms of information, there can't be anyone there calling this guy saying hey the deal fell through.

njdevil26 is online now  
Old
03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
  #225
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 25,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
Your right I'm sorry, you didn't rearrange the words - you CHANGED them to fit the fun story you have made up.
Why dont you quote them then, because I still have no idea what you're talking about, beyond mentioning it's possible the sentence could be poorly written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
But your right, clearly nobody at the much respected Post ever makes up any kind of speculation for fear of harming their sterling journalism careers.
I'm a little surprised by this, as you're not one of our sixteen year old posters, and I'd think you could tell the difference between a hack like Everson and a respected journalist - which takes me right back to my, "you have (had) no idea who Josh Kosman is" hypothesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
I can't even take you seriously anymore as a poster after this.
How will I ever go on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
I do believe, given Kosman's connections and reputation that he has some probable details mixed with some inference........ Is it so far fetched that a reporter might have some knowledge that a pending investor has backed out, the vagueness of the rationale notwithstanding... After all, he's only paraphrasing a "source" there.
No, it's not, and in fact, it's not illogical that that might be ALL he'd be privy to know, as to know too much specifics about the financials would mean someone really blabbed, as opposed to yielding one significant (but vague as you said) detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
That's why I much rather try to separate the likely true information from the chaff and speculation. And that it is likely that a prospective deal to resolve/reorganize a significant portion of the debt has fallen through.

Hopefully, all is resolved sooner rather than later but until something conclusive is revealed, we'll have to deal with occasional and piecemeal information.
Exactly, and unfortunately he's likely going to be the only source we're going to hear from on this, because for this story, you dont need to be connected to various NHL sources, you need to be connected to various Wall Street sources, as Kosman is, and so far he seems to be the only person interested in looking into it.

BenedictGomez is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.