HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Financial Woes Could Be Over

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Scott04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
so wait a minute, the NHL wanting to review the deal scared the investor off? Like they didn't expect the NHL to do that? What crap. I would not be surprised if there were issues but the BS speculation the Post comes up with for reasons is just so laughably bad it is amazing.
My thoughts exactly. I can't take any of these articles seriously anymore because the reasoning behind each "development" just gets more asinine.

Quote:
Vanderbeek also has to sign a slew of players by that same July 1 date, including forward Zach Parise and goalie legend Martin Brodeur, or they will become unrestricted free agents. Players whose contracts are ending won’t re-up until the ownership issue is resolved, a source said.
That part made me laugh

Old
03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Have the Devils set a date with the state of the franchise yet? That would really be a lawnchair and popcorn show, too bad I wasn't eligible for it this year lol.
April 7, prior to the game vs Ottawa.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
so wait a minute, the NHL wanting to review the deal scared the investor off? Like they didn't expect the NHL to do that? What crap. I would not be surprised if there were issues but the BS speculation the Post comes up with for reasons is just so laughably bad it is amazing.
I agree. But it could also just be phrased poorly...

Quote:
The NHL wanted to review the deal and scared off the investor, sources said.
In other words, as written, it appears a review scared off the investor, which makes no sense. But, it could also mean, the NHL scared off the investor in addition to the review process (i.e. poor writing).

At any rate, the framework of detail the Post has reported thus far is accurate enough.

For the many of you who keep saying of these Post articles, "too little details" and "too much speculation" on these reports, well, yeah, that's the game. You're NEVER going to get 100% accurate/perfect reporting on M&A deals, it just doesnt work like that, and if it did, someone should either be fired or potentially hauled off to jail. The fact that Kosman even knows the name of the obscure little boutique I-bank that's involved in this deal is all you need to know that he is plugged into someone. In this case, my guess is ALL Kosman found out was that the deal was off (which IS a major new detail if true), but he knew he couldn't write a "one sentence article" just saying, "the deal's off",

Old
03-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I agree. But it could also just be phrased poorly...

In other words, as written, it appears a review scared off the investor, which makes no sense. But, it could also mean, the NHL scared off the investor in addition to the review process (i.e. poor writing).

At any rate, the framework of detail the Post has reported thus far is accurate enough.

For the many of you who keep saying of these Post articles, "too little details" and "too much speculation" on these reports, well, yeah, that's the game. You're NEVER going to get 100% accurate/perfect reporting on M&A deals, it just doesnt work like that, and if it did, someone should either be fired or potentially hauled off to jail. The fact that Kosman even knows the name of the obscure little boutique I-bank that's involved in this deal is all you need to know that he is plugged into someone. In this case, my guess is ALL Kosman found out was that the deal was off (which IS a major new detail if true), but he knew he couldn't write a "one sentence article" just saying, "the deal's off",
But saying they wanted to review and scared them off makes no sense either because your implying that the thought of the NHL reviewing it is scary to the investor. That's ridiculous. Saying after they had reviewed it and the NHL scared them off or declined the investor is plausible. Even with your rephrasing it's still just BS speculation.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Sounds like the review brought conditions from the NHL, which the investor didn't like. Something like "The team cannot be moved to Canada" would scare off a potential Canadian investor, for example

Old
03-15-2012, 01:38 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

So are we back to square one?

Old
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
njdss4
Logic dictates...

I didn't really expect this to be resolved until the offseason.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:47 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
Sounds like the review brought conditions from the NHL, which the investor didn't like. Something like "The team cannot be moved to Canada" would scare off a potential Canadian investor, for example
If that's really the issue then it was nice knowing you, JVB. Just please don't sell to someone with the billions of dollars it would take to buy out the TV and arena deals.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Sounds like the review brought conditions from the NHL, which the investor didn't like.
Which is also entirely possible.

Or, "we're going to review this momentarily, but we can tell you right now that XYZ is non-negotiable, so rework that before our review", and the investor said, "no dice".

Like I said, given that it makes absolutely no sense as written, I think that it's likely that it's just a poorly written sentence.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Drewr15

So wait a minute, we are saying that this guy can't even properly get across in a simple sentence wording that the NHL had conditions that scared off the investor but we're supposed to take everything else he says seriously. Sorry I just see a lot of grasping at straws in this article and here trying to explain it away.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:13 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

I hope this gets resolved in the near future.

I know it isn't imminent, but I would be crushed if this team got relocated.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils3034 View Post
I hope this gets resolved in the near future.

I know it isn't imminent, but I would be crushed if this team got relocated.
That's not an option or consideration.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
guyincognito

Meh. That's like they had an empty paragraph in the paper and they needed someone to fill it.

The business end of this news is also getting much too far separated from the hockey end of the news. If whatever was arranged in the last month had(s) actually fallen through, JVB wouldn't even be the owner of the team anymore, so it would be moot writing about him in the first place.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
So wait a minute, we are saying that this guy can't even properly get across in a simple sentence wording that the NHL had conditions that scared off the investor but we're supposed to take everything else he says seriously. Sorry I just see a lot of grasping at straws in this article and here trying to explain it away.
1) Quite possibly, yes.
2) Everything? No. I already addressed that though
3) Likely because you're seeing what you want to see. Kosman is clearly plugged into some channel of this deal in some capacity, and is getting information. To deny that at this point is to be in denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Meh. That's like they had an empty paragraph in the paper and they needed someone to fill it.
It's like I was saying, he only had ONE new detail, and you cant write an article around that, but that ONE new detail, was really important, so there you go.......

Old
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
1) Quite possibly, yes.
3) Likely because you're seeing what you want to see. Kosman is clearly plugged into some channel of this deal in some capacity, and is getting information. To deny that at this point is to be in denial.

It's like I was saying, he only had ONE new detail, and you cant write an article around that, but that ONE new detail, was really important, so there you go.......
Not really because no one ever explained what the deal was, or any details of it, except for the name of the shady bank that rose out of the ground to back it.

It could have been a putrid last gasp attempt to keep the team, it could have been nothing, who knows. It's just it's gotten so detached from the actual hockey story.
If this is true that they presented something to the league, and the league sniffed it out, JVB doesn't matter anymore. Who owes what doesn't matter anymore, it's the league's team now, then. They don't let you wait around until 7/1 to straighten things out when they have to operate your organization.

Not that it may not have been in some capacities already.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
I don't think we'd want an owner who had visions of the team with one foot out the door anyway. Any new owner should be committed to Newark. If that's really what scared this mystery angel investor off, good riddance.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:57 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Not really because no one ever explained what the deal was, or any details of it, except for the name of the shady bank that rose out of the ground to back it.
As I said, you're not likely to get all that, and you shouldn't.

But I do believe him in that there was an investor and that that investor has now fled, given the fact that Kosman knows extremely specific details like what little brand-spanking new I-bank (that probably has all of about 10 or 12 employees) they were working with.

Old
03-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Drewr15

Quote:
1) Quite possibly, yes.
Ha ha. So wait a minute, you have rearranged the writer's words to fit the narrative you are supposing happened but I am the one seeing what I want to see. The fact that you actually typed that and seriously meant it is hysterical. I am starting to think your kosman.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:17 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Ha ha. So wait a minute, you have rearranged the writer's words to fit the narrative you are supposing happened but I am the one seeing what I want to see. The fact that you actually typed that and seriously meant it is hysterical. I am starting to think your kosman.
I dont know what you're talking about given I didnt rearrage his words, I simply explained how it could be a poorly written sentence.

Do you honestly even know who Josh Kosman is?

That was a rhetorical question, so let me help you out there, he's a financial investigative reporter, that has specialized in M&A and private equity for more than a decade now. That's what he writes about.

Seriously, your theory that he's making this all up is ridiculous, and is the only thing here written to "fit the narrative" you want to believe. That narrative being - "The Devils are Okay"

Yeah, he's going to absolutely destroy his journalism career by making up stories about a hockey team.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
I dont know what you're talking about given I didnt rearrage his words, I simply explained how it could be a poorly written sentence.

Do you honestly even know who Josh Kosman is?

That was a rhetorical question, so let me help you out there, he's a financial investigative reporter, that has specialized in M&A and private equity for more than a decade now. That's what he writes about.

Seriously, your theory that he's making this all up is ridiculous, and is the only thing here written to "fit the narrative" you want to believe. That narrative being - "The Devils are Okay"

Yeah, he's going to absolutely destroy his journalism career by making up stories about a hockey team.
Your right I'm sorry, you didn't rearrange the words - you CHANGED them to fit the fun story you have made up. The fact that you can't even see that you did that shows how smug you are about this and explains why you think it is ok for Kosman to do it. Never did I say the Devils are ok - once again making things up to fit the story you want. I simply pointed out his speculations clearly make no sense instead of making up some ******** fantasy I know no details about like you have done. But your right, clearly nobody at the much respected Post ever makes up any kind of speculation for fear of harming their sterling journalism careers. I can't even take you seriously anymore as a poster after this.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:54 AM
theking72
Confucius Ackbar

Every financial deal goes down to the wire, that's how you get the best deal, using the time pressure to force concessions. Won't be resolved until the last possible second that it needs to be resolved, so just ignore.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Well, I'm in the smoke and fire camp. I think there is enough reason to strongly conclude that things are not rosy in the Devils' coffers. And I do believe, given Kosman's connections and reputation that he has some probable details mixed with some inference. I mean, some things are more or less taken as fact already.... the team missing an $80M payment and being advanced cash from the league, for example. Is it so far fetched that a reporter might have some knowledge that a pending investor has backed out, the vagueness of the rationale notwithstanding... After all, he's only paraphrasing a "source" there.

Now, comments like "Players whose contracts are ending won’t re-up until the ownership issue is resolved" are so open to speculation as to be nearly devoid of meaning... If true at all, is it because they can't (under orders from the league), won't (as to allow the the team to settle their issues) or choose not to (due to uncertainty).

That's why I much rather try to separate the likely true information from the chaff and speculation. And that it is likely that a prospective deal to resolve/reorganize a significant portion of the debt has fallen through.

Hopefully, all is resolved sooner rather than later but until something conclusive is revealed, we'll have to deal with occasional and piecemeal information.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:20 AM
njdevil26

I just wonder who the source could be. With the way the Devils are in terms of information, there can't be anyone there calling this guy saying hey the deal fell through.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Your right I'm sorry, you didn't rearrange the words - you CHANGED them to fit the fun story you have made up.
Why dont you quote them then, because I still have no idea what you're talking about, beyond mentioning it's possible the sentence could be poorly written.

Quote:
But your right, clearly nobody at the much respected Post ever makes up any kind of speculation for fear of harming their sterling journalism careers.
I'm a little surprised by this, as you're not one of our sixteen year old posters, and I'd think you could tell the difference between a hack like Everson and a respected journalist - which takes me right back to my, "you have (had) no idea who Josh Kosman is" hypothesis.

Quote:
I can't even take you seriously anymore as a poster after this.
How will I ever go on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
I do believe, given Kosman's connections and reputation that he has some probable details mixed with some inference........ Is it so far fetched that a reporter might have some knowledge that a pending investor has backed out, the vagueness of the rationale notwithstanding... After all, he's only paraphrasing a "source" there.
No, it's not, and in fact, it's not illogical that that might be ALL he'd be privy to know, as to know too much specifics about the financials would mean someone really blabbed, as opposed to yielding one significant (but vague as you said) detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
That's why I much rather try to separate the likely true information from the chaff and speculation. And that it is likely that a prospective deal to resolve/reorganize a significant portion of the debt has fallen through.

Hopefully, all is resolved sooner rather than later but until something conclusive is revealed, we'll have to deal with occasional and piecemeal information.
Exactly, and unfortunately he's likely going to be the only source we're going to hear from on this, because for this story, you dont need to be connected to various NHL sources, you need to be connected to various Wall Street sources, as Kosman is, and so far he seems to be the only person interested in looking into it.

Closed Thread