Notices

Winnipeg Jets 2011-12 Season Ending Roster Report

Old
04-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
Winnipeg Jets 2011-12 Season Ending Roster Report

Well here we are, the season is now over and it's time to take a look as to where the Jets stand with the current roster and how everyone performed this year.

Disclaimer:

Please keep in mind my grading is based on my own personal expectations of each player, there are a few guys who I didn't feel played better or worse enough to skew their 1st half grade as well.

Antropov - 1st Half Stats (33GP, 5g 15a - 20pts, +2) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: A-)
Full Season (69GP, 15g 20a - 35pts, +0) - Season Grade (Grade: B+)

Looking back it's fair to say Nik had a better season last year as he had 16g and 25a for 41 points, but at the same time he also finished 2010-11 as a -17. Antro is constantly one of those guys who if he isn't scoring is subject to a lot of ridicule. My personal opinion of him is he will be an ideal 3rd line centerman who can play the PK. If this team is going to be successful they are going to need to figure out that elusive 3rd line which seemed like it had different guys on it every night. Nik is the start of that for next year, he can still put up respectable numbers and is also a big guy who uses his size smartly. When he was out of the lineup it wasn't hard to notice, the Jets lost a big presence down the middle and were scrambling to ice a competitive squad. Yes he is being overpaid, but at the end of the day this team needs him to round out a consistent forward crop imo.

Bogosian - 1st Half Stats (41GP, 3g 14a - 17pts, -6) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: A+)
Full Season (65GP, 5g 25a - 30pts, -3) - Season Grade (Grade: A+)

Zach was simply the best defenseman all season. Last year I couldn't say enough bad things about him and he completely proved me wrong. He plays smart, physical, defensive-minded hockey and for a kid his age it's only going to get better. Clearly Torchetti was not the right fit for him and Huddy was the type of guy he needed. We didn't see as many up ice rushes as one normally would from Zach, but even toward the later stages of this season he was racking up points at a solid pace. Going forward for next season I would love to see him paired with Toby Enstrom on the top line so those 2 can play off each others strengths and give the Jets a top pairing with defensive strength and offensive capability. No where but up for Zach from here and I look forward to seeing him become a future Norris candidate.

Burmistrov - 1st Half Stats (38GP, 8g, 9a - 17pts, +4) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: B)
Full Season (76GP, 13g, 15a - 28pts, +4) - Season Grade (Grade: C+)

It was a really up and down season for Burmi, he had some great moments and other not so great moments. For the most part I can't say I'm too happy with his season as a whole. He's still only 20 years old and has a lot of growth ahead of him, and at the end of the day he improved upon his rookie season in points and especially in +/- as he went from a -12 to a +4. The thing I like about Burmi is he is such a nice kid and he loves the game. Guys like that are easy to coach and eager to learn and with the skill set he already possesses I see nothing but good things to come from Alex.

Byfuglien - 1st Half Stats (35GP, 6g, 18a - 24pts, -8) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: B)
Full Season (66GP, 12g, 41a - 53pts, -8) - Season Grade (Grade: B+)

Ah Buff, I think if you were to ask 5 people about him you would hear 5 different impressions. For the most part it's been a tale of Good Buff vs. Bad Buff and I can't pick which one came out on top. At the end of the day the guy put up 53 points in 66 games which is pretty rare from the blue line. But at the same time he also cost the Jets a lot of goals with his lackadaisical d-zone play. Ragging on Buff has almost reached an ad-nauseum stage but he still needs to be held accountable if he is going to continue to play this style of defense. I honestly had trouble writing about his season because it's so back and forth I didn't know which stance to take. On an offensively challenged team having a guy who can put up points like him is a necessity, but at the same time if he's going to be playing on the top line against the oppositions best talent he needs to be responsible and accountable for his style. I would like to see what a lot of you guys think of his season as a whole to see if we can get any type of feel on the asset vs. detriment argument.

Clitsome - (12GP, 0g, 3a - 3pts, -3) - (Grade: C+)
Grant had an interesting little stint with the Jets. His first game he looked incredible, throwing the body and playing solid defense in his own zone. But as with school, it's easy to get an A once but maintaining it is much harder which seemed to be a bit of the case for Clitsome. He has never looked out of place on the ice but he also came with his fair share of gaffes out there. For the most part I think he can be a 3rd pairing guy, and given the roster with Jones most likely not being re-signed I imagine he will have a good chance at getting that 6th spot with Stuart on the 3rd line.

Enstrom - 1st Half Stats (21GP, 1g, 11a - 12pts, +1) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: B)
Full Season (62GP, 6g, 27a - 33pts, +6) - Season Grade (Grade: B-)

Toby definitely did not have his best season, at times he looked uncomfortable and would hesitate on his decisions which used to be the things he excelled at as they were so effortless. It really seemed like at times Toby was waiting to see what Buff would do before he made his own mind up which in turn caused some serious defensive lapses. When the season began I worried he would be able to live up to the hype as many of us Thrashers fans touted him as a solid #1 defenseman, which made it almost impossible for him to live up to. His point totals took a nosedive from the prior year and just his general play for the most part wasn't what I was used to. I do not like the pairing of him and Dustin Byfuglien, I liked it up until January of last season when they were both all stars but that was where it ended. Opening night I was happy to see they were separated and it seemed to work nicely for both of them. The new system implemented by Noel and Co. is obviously more defensive minded than Ramsay's full out offensive onslaught which caused Toby to have to sit back and fight off numerous 2on1s while Buff sat on his ass watching from the oppositions goal crease. I just hope that same coaching staff has finally seen enough of these 2 together and let Hainsey cover for Buff's mistakes so Enstrom can play his game instead of playing Dustin's.

Fehr - 1st Half Stats (17GP, 0g, 1a - 1p, -4) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: D+)
Full Season (35GP, 2g, 1a - 3pt, -6) - Season Grade (Grade: C-)

Tough season for Fehr, the one time he actually started looking better he gets injured and we're back to stage 1. After being a healthy scratch for awhile it genuinely looked like the Eric Fehr from Washington for a bit. I honestly don't know what management plans to do with him, maybe he could be the winger on that 3rd line with Antro, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he gets shopped on the off-season. As far as grading him goes I will upgrade him a half spot as he managed to score some points as compared to the first half

Flood - 1st Half Stats (23GP, 3g, 3a - 6pts, +3) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: B+)
Full Season (33GP, 3g, 4a - 7pts, -1) - Season Grade (Grade: B-)

I didn't have any major issues with Mark this season, when asked to play he filled his role and chipped in offensively at the beginning of the season. Jones has most likely played his last game for the Jets and management did tell Mark to find a place in Winnipeg earlier this season so clearly they feel he is at worst the #7, which I can agree with. He only managed to get to play in 10 more games from the 1st half so there's not a lot more to go on, so I say for what is expected of him he earned a solid B.

Glass - 1st Half Stats (41GP, 4g, 8a - 12pts, -4) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: B)
Full Season (78GP, 5g, 11a - 16pts, -12) - Season Grade (Grade: C+)

Tanner had a good season, career highs in goals, assists and points, but also career low in +/-. He earned his spot on the GST line and was an important part of it, he fought when necessary, added intensity to the game and served his role admirably. He definitely cooled off towards the later stages but at the end of the day he wasn't brought in to be a scorer, although I would like his 2 way game to be a little better. As to what management does with him we're all unsure, but I would have no issues with them re-signing him to keep that 4th line together.

Hainsey - 1st Half Stats (17GP, 0g, 6a - 6pts, +7) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: B+)
Full Season (56GP, 0g, 10a - 10pts, +9) - Season Grade (Grade: B+)

Hains quietly did his job this season. The early injury was a bit of a change of pace but after that he settled down in the top 4 and did his job with Zach and played the PK. He's basically that veteran presence who isn't going to show flashy skills or things that will show up on the highlight reel, but will simply get the job done and provide leadership to the guys on the ice. Bogosian said he's enjoyed playing with him because he talks to him on the ice and is helping his development which is what every team needs when you have up and coming stars like Zach. This franchise does have a veritable amount of depth on the blue line but the difference is top 4 depth is limited to Toby, Buff, Zach and Ron so until someone else can fill that role he will be needed for next season. The major disappointment is how can a guy who was on pace for 492 goals this season not even score once, c'mon now Ronny .

Jones - 1st Half Stats (12GP, 1g, 0a - 1p, 0) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: B)
Full Season (39GP, 1g, 1a - 2pts, +4) - Season Grade (Grade: C)

Like a lot of guys Jones has had his ups and downs this season. A fair amount of the time he quietly did his job for 14+ minutes a night and had no issues. Other nights he was quite noticeable out there which isn't what you want from a #6 d-man. I don't have the same amount of hatred for him as others do because for a fair amount of the season he was in the lineup one night and out the next 5-10, tough to stay consistent regardless of who you are. Safe to say if the Jets didn't have him on the roster we could've seen some ugly 3rd pairings with all the injuries this season. Unfortunately for a guy who doesn't play very often, any gaffes you make are going to be extrapolated 10 fold, all in all I think the Jets were a better team than if they had not signed him and I wish him the best of luck.

Kane - 1st Half Stats (40GP, 18g, 13a - 31pts, +8) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: A+)
Full Season (74GP, 30g, 27a - 56pts, +11) - Season Grade (Grade: A-)

Evander has had a very solid season to say the least, tallying 30 goals in only 74 games from a 20 year old is not seen very often in today's NHL. He's probably gone through more than anyone else on the team this year, while I won't get into those things we can't deny what he has done on the ice. He's never going to be a prolific playmaker or outstanding passer because that isn't his game, but what he will be is a strong power forward capable of scoring 40+ goals and I'm perfectly fine with that. Take one look at the main board thread of Kane hitting 30 and you'll see just how much he is desired by about every fan base.

Ladd - 1st Half Stats (41GP, 13g, 6a - 18pts, -2) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: C+)
Full Season (82GP, 28g, 22a - 50pts, -8) - Season Grade (Grade: B+)

In Andrew's first half of the season he had 13 goals for 18 points, and in his final 41 games he scored 32 points and was right up there with last year in his goal totals. So needless to say he really kicked things up a notch down the stretch which was nice to see as early on it looked like he was going to have a bad season overall. There's been times where I think many of us questioned Ladd's leadership, especially when he was basically taking nightly offensive zone penalties to the point where those of us in the GDTs could call it. But then as we got into the later stages of the season Andrew was scoring gritty goals, had waned away from taking bad penalties and was looking like a true leader. I think the fight with Hedman against the Bolts last week really showed his heart and dedication to his role and if Ladd can take that into next year I think the Jets will be in much better shape next April.

Little - 1st Half Stats (33GP, 11g, 10a - 21pts, +7) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: A-)
Full Season (74GP, 24g, 22a - 46pts, -11) - Season Grade (Grade: B-)

Pretty much another solid season from Bryan, he is absolutely a streaky scorer but to put up 24 from last year's 18 I think is a good sign of improvement. The issue with Little is he is playing as a #1 center and 46 points is not good enough for a guy in that role. I would love to see the Jets add another piece so they can move him to the 2nd line where he belongs and would be a solid contributor. His +/- is a bit of a head scratcher as his 2-way game has always been good, but to go from +11 last year to -11 this year in a more defensive minded system all while playing with Wheeler who is a +4 is a little strange. That caused his grade to drop to a B.

Machacek - Full Season (13GP, 2g, 7a - 9pts, +8) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: A)

Spencer imo has already earned his spot on the roster for next season. His first call up he played great and then was sent right back down, then his 2nd callup he played even better and has been bringing it consistently every night since. He forechecks hard, plays a gritty style of hockey all while possessing a lot of talent. Regardless of who he's been playing with he has never looked out of his league, the breakaway and pass to Kane for the goal looked like a routine NHLer making a great play. Spencer has paid his dues in the A and is absolutely ready and imo will be on the opening night roster next season.

Mason - 1st Half Stats (7GS, 5W - 3L, 2.23GAA - .915%) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: A)
Full Season (14GS, 8W - 7L, 1OTL 2.59GAA - .898%) - Season Grade (Grade: B-)

Started off the year very well but was given zero opportunities down the stretch which in turn caused Mason to get cold and lose his rhythm. He finally looked like a legitimate backup and while I understand you need to ride the hot hand in Pavelec, not even letting Chris see one of the games on a back to back was simply poor coaching in my opinion. Don't really know what's going to happen with him, but he has proven if given starts can be a capable #2.

Miettenen - 1st Half Stats (9GP, 0g, 2a - 2pts, -5) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: C)
Full Season (45GP, 5g, 8a - 13pts, -5) - Season Grade (Grade: C-)

Showed some flashes of greatness with 2 games where he scored 2 goals, but on a team that is starved for offense it is not nearly enough to warrant playing as many games as he did. He is one player that I feel will need to be replaced if this team is going to be successful. I have nothing against Antti Miettinen, but this team doesn't have enough talent across the board to be able to ice someone who is as inconsistent as he is.

Pavelec - 1st Half Stats (34GS, 15W - 13L - 5OT, 2.88GAA .909SV%) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: A+)
Full Season (66GS, 29W - 28L - 8OT, 2.90GAA .907SV%) - Season Grade (Grade: B+)

It's clear the Jets have found their number 1. Ondrej kept this team in countless games they should've been out of. He improved on many of his individual facets especially the shootout, but unfortunately for everyone he was asked to do too much and was leaned on far too much down the stretch causing him to lose a step. He clearly has a bright future ahead of him, but asking a guy in his 3rd full NHL season to play as many (including back-to-backs) games as him is simply too much. Regardless, he was the best Jets player this season hands down.

Slater - 1st Half Stats (37GP, 7g, 2g - 9pts, -8) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: B)
Full Season (78GP, 13g, 8g - 21pts, -9) - Season Grade (Grade: B+)

Let's hope the organization works out a new deal for him as he is someone this team absolutely needs. The GST line wouldn't be nearly what it is without him down the middle, he quietly does so many things well and has really come into his own these past 2 seasons. It looks like he really enjoys playing in Winnipeg so I can't imagine it will be too hard to re-sign him, but I can't stress enough just how crucial he is to this teams success.

Stapleton - 1st Half Stats (32GP, 6g, 6a - 12pts, -5) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: B)
Full Season (63GP, 11g, 16a - 27pts, -2) - Season Grade (Grade: C+)

Pleasantly surprised by Timmy this season for the most part. I think at times he was being asked to do more than is capable of him but he absolutely stepped up when necessary and added some very timely goals. I'm not completely sold with him being on the point with Byfuglien as I feel they create more issues than necessary on a power play, but it's nice to know the Jets have a guy like Tim to go to if something ever goes bad. I imagine he will get another deal as he also seems to enjoy playing in the Peg. All n all it was a good season for Bluce Ree.

Stuart - 1st Half Stats (39GP, 3g, 4a - 7pts, -5) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: A-)
Full Season (80GP, 3g, 11a - 14pts, -4) - Season Grade (Grade: A-)

What more can you say about Stuart other than what was said by giving him the Dan Snyder award. He does everything a 3rd pairing defenseman should and does it without expecting any recognition. He hits, he fights, he's reliable and is very much a team player, he is a carbon copy hard nosed defenseman and I'm very glad we have him. The only issue I have with Stuart is his PIMs, I would like to see him tone that tone for next season. Obviously not the ones related to fighting, just the untimely penalties.

Thorburn - 1st Half Stats (41GP, 0g, 3a - 3pts, -10) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: C+)
Full Season (72GP, 4g, 7a - 11pts, -7) - Season Grade (Grade: B)

Early on it appeared Chris was going to have an off year despite the GST line performing as well as it was. It took him a long time to get on the scoring sheet and his other stats just weren't up to par either. But like a lot of Jets players it seemed to just take a little longer for Chris to come out of his shell, but when he did it lead to the guy many of us saw last season. He was checking hard, adding offense and playing sound defense. Then when he went down for a few games you could tell the team just didn't look the same without him. Now that he has evolved into our resident Sniper I think the Jets will be just fine, I look forward to more goal of the year candidates from Chris next season.

Wellwood - 1st Half Stats (41GP, 8G, 15a - 23pts, -1) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: B+)
Full Season (78GP, 18G, 29a - 47pts, +3) - Season Grade (Grade: B)

Clearly he has been the best acquisition by TNSE so far and for good reason. He put up career highs this season and for the most part was a good reliable forward. Hockey IQ is one of the most important things a player can possess and you can clearly see Kyle is very smart. He's rarely out of position, makes smart decisions with the puck in all 3 zones and sees the ice well. Again I'm not sure what the organizations plans are going forward, but with the lack of UFA forwards this off-season I don't think it would be the worst thing to try and re-sign him. All n all he was a great pickup for the Jets and I would have no issues if he were on the roster next season.

Wheeler - 1st Half Stats (41GP, 8g, 23a - 31pts, +9) - 1st Half Grade (Grade: A)
Full Season (80GP, 17g, 47a - 64pts, +3) - Season Grade (Grade: A)

Started off very slow but then absolutely exploded and was the best forward night after night. Like a few others he seemed to just lose gas towards the later stages but he isn't someone you wouldn't notice. Blake was constantly the hardest worker out there whether it be on the forecheck or even making a big backcheck to stop a 2on1 in the Jets zone. Given how he started off and to end the season with 63 points I really doubt there is anything more that could've been asked of him. He is the focal point of this teams offense and I look forward to seeing a confident Blake Wheeler at the beginning of next season.

Now as far as lineups for next season go, it's really tough to tell at this point as there are a number of pending free agents. I'll pass on trying to figure out the forward core as it really can go anywhere, but with the defense this is what I would like to see opening night next season:

Enstrom-Bogosian
Hainsey-Byfuglien
Stuart-Clitsome/Flood/Postma/Kulda

Here is also the link to my half-season analysis as well for those of you who are into that sort of thing: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1074829

Once again I don't expect everyone to agree with my rankings, they're just how I personally feel each player performed within my expectations of them.

I enjoyed discussing the team with all of you this season and look forward to the next.

So until next September, just keep your Brofists strong.

Last edited by Lynk: 04-08-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Excellent work Lynk!

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:08 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Great year end roster report Lynk. I pretty much agree with all your grades. I'm definately in the "time to put Toby and Bogo together" camp.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
As always, a worthwhile read Lynk, I agree with pretty much everything.

I want to give a shoutout to our coaching staff too. They have done a really good job, though I would be reluctant to give them more than a B. As great as they have been, they haven't been able to solve our road problems, and we still give up way to many high quality scoring chances. They also IMO played Pavs too much when both he and Mason was hot, resulting in Pavs cooling off a bit and Mason freeze like Pavs glove in the beginning of the year.

On the other hand, they made sure the team stayed competative during our ridiculous injury streak, Huddy probably saved Brogosians career (going from the teams probably worst D-man to its best in one season is pretty damn amazing) and Noel actually seems to get upset at the players, something that is pretty damn refreshing after spending 2 seasons seeing Anderson blame everything but them, and Ramsay looking old.

Now if only they would fix the D-pairing so that Toby plays with Zach and Buff plays with Hainsey I like our chances next season.

Oh, and Noel should ask Kirk Muller where he gets those stunning ties.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Crazed Fan

Terrific job! Probably about as fair a team summary as can be.

Love Stuart, Enstrom, Bogo, Wheeler, Little, Slater, Machacek, Ladd and Wellwood.
I really do like Buff, I just wish he was more present.
Had my ups and down with Ladd this year, but came around in the end. I see the value.

Like to see a couple of free agents signed. Maybe bring in some rookies.
Redmond, Postma....

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:37 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

As every year a good overview. Didn't Duke do a season review too for the Thrashers? Always liked his, too.

I'm with you on about every player but I think your grades are a little too high. Most player have at least a B, some even an A, only a few C and nearly no D. A little high.

We would have made the playoffs with grades that high.

GermanJetsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
As every year a good overview. Didn't Duke do a season review too for the Thrashers? Always liked his, too.

I'm with you on about every player but I think your grades are a little too high. Most player have at least a B, some even an A, only a few C and nearly no D. A little high.

We would have made the playoffs with grades that high.
Just depends on the scale really.

While it may be skewed higher as a whole, keep in mind the talent level and expectations for the majority of the roster is not as high as that of other teams.

Old
04-08-2012, 08:48 AM
wpgallday1960

Good review. Personally, I think your grades are a little high overall because if they lived up to your rankings they would be in the playoffs instead of making tee times. However your descriptions were pretty much spot on.

wpgallday1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
I find myself in agreement with a majority of the analysis, and fully understand the disclaimers that not all will agree with your own grades.

Shouldn’t the cumulative grades though be at least somewhat reflective of the reality of their performance against their peers? I think the curve is slanted far too high given that this class receives an F on their final exams when based upon the end results in comparison to their peer group, as evidenced by the group's final position in the standings.

Seems like far too many A and B grades for a team that at the end of the day proved way too small and far too soft, and as such couldn’t compete when on the road.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I find myself in agreement with a majority of the analysis, and fully understand the disclaimers that not all will agree with your own grades.

Shouldn’t the cumulative grades though be at least somewhat reflective of the reality of their performance against their peers? I think the curve is slanted far too high given that this class receives an F on their final exams when based upon the end results in comparison to their peer group, as evidenced by the group's final position in the standings.

Seems like far too many A and B grades for a team that at the end of the day proved way too small and far too soft, and as such couldn’t compete when on the road.
Yeah I always debated using a scale against the rest of the league simply because the expectations for many on the roster would make it look like we have an all star team.

Perhaps in the future I'll switch it up.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgallday1960 View Post
Good review. Personally, I think your grades are a little high overall because if they lived up to your rankings they would be in the playoffs instead of making tee times. However your descriptions were pretty much spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

I agree with both these comments. I like the descriptions, just not the grading system. I feel it's not subjective enough.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Great analysis Lynk. As you said, the grading system here is totally subjective and open to interpretation, so one man's C+ will be another man's F. Your commentary is bang-on.

I'm going to post my grades later on today, the grading rubric I'm using is a bit different, in that it's based less on personal expectations and more on where they (IMO) stack up as NHL players.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Well here we are, the season is now over and it's time to take a look as to where the Jets stand with the current roster and how everyone performed this year.

So until next September, just keep your Brofists strong.
Lynky, I can't really argue with any of those assessments. Nice job and well said. It is kind of funny though how we rate all these players fairly highly individually, yet as a unit they weren't good enough to make the playoffs. I guess that might be a product of loving your team.

I would have rated Enstrom lower, but I think that again has a bit to do with expectations.

As for Fehr, I think the team will keep him around. We paid him for a year to basically rehab, so I could see Eric showing some appreciation and signing here for a year below Q to try and repay that opportunity.

Byfuglien. What to say about this guy. Love him and hate him. I think he's slowly moving towards where we need him to be. He will never be a defensive stalwart, but he needs to at least care about his own zone and put as much effort there as he does in creating offense. I would LOVE to see him drop 20 lbs, and hit the gym this summer. I think it would do wonders for his game. He needs to stick to a diet, and stay off watercraft. Sadly, I don't think he will. The BEST thing for Byfuglien would be if we could go out and get a real, legit defensive defenseman partner for him this offseason, but I don't think that is in the cards.

Clitsome will be interesting to watch next year as he gets more comfortable and more tutelage from Huddy.

04-08-2012, 11:43 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
No grade for Brett MacLean?

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Thanks Lynk, that's awesome. Much agreed.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Pretty much agree with all the grades.

I might have given Burmi, Ladd and Little slightly higher grades and Flood and Clitsome slightly lower grades, but I can definitely understand the reasoning behind why they got the grades they did.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Well done Lynk!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:56 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Thanks Lynk for a very thorough and entertaining post!!

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:10 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Good read, I always appreciate when people put the time and effort into posting something worthwhile. For the most part I agree with your assessment, a few I would move up or down a little but no glaring errors as far as I can see.

That said, I'm not a math major but I'm not sure how Kane's 30 goals and 27 assists only got him 56 points! I bet a point was deducted for his reflective silver suit on New Years, though I though he pulled it off

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Good read, I always appreciate when people put the time and effort into posting something worthwhile. For the most part I agree with your assessment, a few I would move up or down a little but no glaring errors as far as I can see.

That said, I'm not a math major but I'm not sure how Kane's 30 goals and 27 assists only got him 56 points! I bet a point was deducted for his reflective silver suit on New Years, though I though he pulled it off
Lol, was never good at math.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Wpgpage

Agree with all of these except Anto would drop him to a C, and would bump Glass and Slater to A's without those 2 this team is closer to the first overall pick then they are to a playoff spot. Nothing against Antro hes just very meh to me he does everything OK nothing above average, I think the Jets can find a better replacement. Ill probably finish up my team statistical review tonight and post it in here, after game of thrones that is.

Wpgpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:23 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
As usual a great review by Lynk, albeit a little generous (IMO) on a couple of players notably Antro who I thought was no higher than a C+ and Little who I would also give no higher than a C+. Can't argue with Lynk's grades on anyone else though.

PS Lynks job here an A+!

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
For these grades, I tried to look at things more in the fashion that an opposing scout would, rather than based on my expectations (which truthfully, have been like a moving target throughout the season). Here goes:

Rubric:
10.0: Generational talent
9.9 and below: 'Blue-chip' franchise player
9.0 and below: Excellent top 6 F/top 4 D/starting goalie
8.0 and below: Adequate top 6 F/top 4 D/starting goalie
7.0 and below: Bottom 6 F/bottom pairing D/back-up goalie
6.0 and below: Depth NHLer
5.0 and below: minor league player

Grades given represent the approximate level I thought each player performed at this year. In brackets, I've indicated the upside I believe each player has.

Forwards:

Evander Kane
11-12 synopsis: Met and probably exceeded expectations in terms of production, but frustrated at times by disappearing in crucial moments and showing inconsistent puck management. Strengths: Smooth wrister with sneaky release...drives defenders back with top-end speed...punches above his weight and hits willingly...drives fearlessly (sometimes recklessly) to the net...exceptional compete level when he's on his game. Weaknesses: Lacks elite separation gear...needs to add lower-body strength and add power to stiff-legged stride...raw positional instincts, struggles to find soft areas of the ice away from the puck...fixates on driving puck low, but often passes up excellent give-and-go opportunities...very limited on the PP...doesn't always see the ice and shows questionable puck management. Projection: An elite goal-scoring winger who needs to be surrounded by puck-possession types. 8.6 (upside: >9.0, still developing but may be levelling out)

Blake Wheeler:
11-12 synopsis: Started out in a major funk, but saw a quantum leap in his game around mid-season. Finished as one of the Jets most consistent forwards. Strengths: Rare speed for his size...does an outstanding job of using his frame to shield the puck...excellent chemistry with Little and Ladd...plays with intensity and always moves his feet...soft hands around the net...finds passing lanes effectively and can be pinpoint accurate. Weaknesses: Doesn't always play to his size when battling in the corners...will rush things and turn the puck over...not overly deceptive with the puck...not a solid defender despite his size, and can get sucked out of position when covering the point...doesn't have a shot that will scare teams outside the dots. Projection: Proved himself to be a capable playmaking forward on the wing, no reason to believe he won't be a 1st line fixture for years to come. 8.6 (upside in high 8s, still some room to grow)

Andrew Ladd:
11-12 synopsis: Provided nearly the same offensive output as last season, putting to rest the notion that it was a fluke. Some questionable moments, but played great down the stretch. Strengths: Smart player who puts himself in good position at both ends...underrated wrist shot can overpower goalies...plays a simple, physical game and (usually) leads by example...can be counted on to take a hit and chip the puck out. Weaknesses: Marginal puck skills for the top 6, doesn't create much from the perimeter...will stop moving his feet and take lazy penalties...prone to some careless offensive zone and neutral zone turnovers where he simply doesn't recognize the pressure. Projection: Effective 2nd line player who battles like a checking line winger, and often looks like a checking-line winger when lugging the puck. Really seemed to embrace the responsibilities of wearing the C after a tentative start. 7.7 (limited upside)

Bryan Little
11-12 synopsis: Suffered bouts of maddening inconsistency. Had great success in late November and December, and was a major factor in the turnaround at that point. Seemed to disappear in tight-checking contests. Strengths: Nice wrister with a quick release...cerebral player, capable of finding seams in the defense and pouncing on loose pucks in front of the net...competent defensively, backchecks hard and does an effective job of getting in passing lanes...quick and deceptive skater who can surprise defenders with his startup gear...solid on the draw. Weaknesses: Lacks size as a pivot, and gets shoved around far too easily down low...inconsistent passer, doesn't distribute the puck all that well and seems to rush things...top-end speed is okay, but not exceptional for a smaller guy...limited range, doesn't contribute enough to a puck possession game. Projection: Decent two-way centre who is ideal on the 2nd line, but looks out of his element as the Jets #1 C. 7.3 (some upside, but obvious limitations)

Kyle Wellwood
11-12 synopsis: A bargain basement signing and almost an afterthought in the summer, Wellwood had some moments of brilliance on the wing, though shortcomings soon became obvious. Strengths/weaknesses: Stephen Hawking hockey IQ, sees the ice like few others...reads off his linemates and opposing defenders, and makes some unbelievable passes...accurate (though rarely used) shot...slow and easily defended at times...easily shoved around...gets overly cute and doesn't play a consistent north-south game...smart but physically overmatched in his own end. Projection: Solid two-way player who is ideally on the third line. Posted career highs, but expecting him to match those totals again might be overly optimistic. 7.0 (little to no upside)

Nik Antropov
11-12 synopsis: Point totals continued steep decline, but has seemingly embraced a new role. Not dynamic offensively, but brings assets that are highly valued to the Jets. Strengths/weaknesses: Massive size and wingspan, extremely hard to knock of the puck...effective on the PK...battles hard down low to keep the cycle going or to win the puck vs. opposing forwards...plodding skater...has a nice shot, but really plays a pass-first game...doesn't receive passes and lug the puck with much effectiveness, thus slowing his linemates down. Projection: Solid 3rd line C. Brings size and strength that is sorely needed. 6.9 (no upside)

Jim Slater
11-12 synopsis: The engine of the GST line. Won't contribute much offensively (hit a career high 13 goals, though) but is a well-rounded checking-line C. Strengths/weaknesses: Great speed...outstanding puck poise for a grinder, rarely makes careless decisions...key faceoff guy...rarely seems to lose his assignment in his own end...might be smaller and less physical than desired for a checking line C...like Little, doesn't have great range in the middle of the ice. Projection: Outstanding in his role, and a guy that really should be re-signed. Many teams would kill to have Slater on their 4th line. 6.8 (no upside)

Alexander Burmistrov
11-12 synopsis: Started out on fire, and looked like the Jets best player early in the season. Ice-time and effectiveness gradually waned as the Jets moved to a simpler and more direct game. Strengths/weaknesses: Brilliant edgework and puckhandling skills, is slippery and difficult to contain along the boards...backchecks hard and makes timely defensive plays...decent shot with pretty good zip...seems to embrace the defensive game...great skater, but seems to lack a seperation gear...decisions with the puck are wild and unpredictable, and he severs his supports by overhandling the puck...doesn't go to the hard areas consistently...needs to get stronger. Projection: Has potential as a top line winger or centre if he can learn to play more directly. May have been rushed into the NHL. 6.6 (high upside in the 8s, still exceptionally raw and unrefined)

Chris Thorburn
11-12 synopsis: "Sniper" found himself on the highlight reel with some beauty goals, and played an important role on the checking line. Strengths/weaknesses: Classic grinder...hits and blocks shots fearlessly...very tough along the wall, pretty consistent with chipping the puck out...slow skater, but compensates by being sound positionally...offensive game is minimal. Projection: Solid checking-line winger who adds little offensively. Seems to be a character guy. 6.4 (no upside)

Tanner Glass
11-12 synopsis: Afterthought UFA signing found a home on the checking line, adding a healthy dose of size and energy. Strengths/weaknesses: Hits hard and often...plays north/south, dump and chase game...will essentially only score by accident...fearless shot blocker...for a shutdown line player, could be more consistent at winning puck battles and getting the puck out. Projection: Adequate guy on the checking line. Hustles and seems to want to play hard for this organization. 6.2 (no upside)

Antti Miettinen
11-12 synopsis: Scooped up on waivers after a failed stint in the KHL, "Auntie Mittens" managed to improve steadily as the season progressed. Strengths/weakness: Decent skater...will battle in hard areas in his own end...inconsistent finisher...perimeter player on offense...skittish with the puck. Projection: Lacks a defined role at this point in his career, though offers nice depth. 6.0 (minimal upside, though has shown low 7s ability in past years, and may bounce back)

Tim Stapleton
11-12 synopsis: Found himself a home on the Jets 2nd PP unit and as a 4th liner with some scoring upside. Strengths/weaknesses: Fast skater with good top-end speed...heavy though rarely-used shot, lacks a quick release...smart player, makes sound decisions with the puck...small and unimposing...doesn't have much in the way of checking-line potential. Projection: Excellent depth player, though may lack a defined role as an NHLer. 6.0 (minimal upside)

Eric Fehr
Laboured through an ineffective season, never really looked like he was 100%. Has a plus shot and size, but seemed disengaged physically and unwilling to battle in hard areas. 5.7 (at 100% health, I could see him having mid-to-high 6s effectiveness)

Spencer Machacek
"Macho Man" may have been the biggest surprise for the Jets this year. Instantly turned his stock from unimpressive bordering on non-prospect to what should be a sure spot in the lineup next year. Crashes and bangs, skates well, has a playmaking flair and a nose for the net. Interesting to see how he handles increased minutes next year. 6.5 (and is looking like he may have mid to high 7s upside, which is what he was touted as when originally drafted).

Jason Jaffray
AHL talent. Tweener who lacks the skating and puck skills to do anything in the top 6, and lack toughness and positional awareness for the bottom 6. Thoroughly unimpressed. 4.5 (minimal upside)

Ben Maxwell
Played well in his most recent call-up, though is a bit undersized and may lack a defined NHL role. 5.0 (some upside, though not much)

Patrice Cormier
Seems to have some potential on the checking line, though I wouldn't consider him an immediate upgrade over our 12 best forwards. Deserves a close look in camp. 5.3 (upside for sure, could be a mid-to-high 6)

Mark Scheifele
Flashed some exceptional hockey IQ and an NHL-ready shot in the preseason, but seemed a bit overwhelmed by the speed in the regular season, and wasn't nearly consistent enough in his positioning. A wild card for next season. 5.0 (upside not absolutely clear, but safe to say his ceiling could well be in the 9s)

Carl Klingberg
Checking line potential, but I think there's some impressive scoring potential as well. Like Cormier, deserves a close look in camp. 5.0 (upside might be in the low 7s)

Aaron Gagnon
Meh. Adds nothing of note. AHL player and camp fodder who should play out his 1-way in St. J's next year. 4.8 (minimal upside)

Defense:

Zach Bogosian:
11-12 synopsis: Morphed into the Jets most consistent defenseman, hitting career highs in points and plus/minus. Seemed enthused by the new environment. Strengths: Rare skating ability, both forwards and backwards; can turn and keep up with any forward...Gets up to top speed effortlessly...can log tough minutes...plays with nastiness...has a rocket shot from the point, accuracy has gradually improved...solid first pass out of the zone...Shows solid ability QBing the 2nd PP unit. Weaknesses: Some hesitation and the occasional brain cramp in breakout passes...has lapses in his coverage in front of the net, and loses track of the puck...could stand to be a bit more assertive in clearing the crease. Projection: Rapidly developing into a legit #1 defenseman, and has the tools to be one of the best in the game. 8.4 (upside: >9.0, rapidly developing).

Toby Enstrom
11-12 synopsis: Missed time with injury and never seemed to find his game. Was often left hung out to dry being partnered with the unpredictable Byfuglien. Strengths: Unbelievably smart...ability to sense pressure around him is second to none...outstanding skater, pirouettes from oncoming forecheckers with ease...generally makes good plays out of the zone...accurate shot with underrated velocity...unparalleled PP QB when he's on his game...great understanding of angling and positioning on D. Weaknesses: Peewee-sized and easily shoved around; gets overwhelmed by big forwards...next to zero presence in front of the net...flops and kneels on the ice way too often...effective shot is limited by deliberate release (due to massive stick)...makes some panicked decisions and coughs the puck up. Projection: Ideally paired with a stay-at-home rock that would allow his considerable offensive talents to flourish. 8.1 (upside: high 8s, coming off a down year).

Dustin Byfuglien
11-12 synopsis: A polarizing season, to say the least. His offensive ability from the backend is undeniable, but his defensive gaffes often leave you ripping your hair out. Strengths: Rare combination of size and skating ability...rocket launcher for a shot...underrated hockey IQ, has shown the ability to make calculated risk/reward decisions...near impossible to knock off the puck...good decisions with the puck in the offensive zone...an asset down low in the defensive zone...forces teams out of their comfort zone. Weaknesses: Often a gongshow defensively...poor backwards skating gets exposed...gets caught flat-footed in the offensive zone, leading to odd-man breaks...lacks physical presence for his size...questionable conditioning...looks lackadaisical and uninspired when his confidence wanes. Projection: A rare offensive defenseman, but one that sorely needs to shore up his defensive commitment level. 8.0 (upside: could be >9 if he improves defensively).

Ron Hainsey
11-12 synopsis: Battled some bad luck with injury, but was a solid contributor when healthy (team best +9). A quiet and steady rearguard. Strengths/weaknesses: Good mobility; a textbook skater...sound positionally and in 1-on-1 situations...doesn't add much from a physical standpoint...had defensive lapses in front of the net, getting caught in no-man's land...loses track of players in scoring position...does a decent job clearing the front of the net...minimal offensive involvement, but generally makes sound decisions with the puck. Projection: Solid game-reading abilities lend himself to a complementary role in the top 4. 7.2 (little to no upside)

Mark Stuart
11-12 synopsis: Was a shot-blocking machine and provided the Jets with much-needed grit on D. Strengths/weaknesses: Selfless player who blocks shots with gusto...nasty disposition, and can intimidate forwards with his hitting ability...tough and determined defender in front of goal...adequate skater, though he can be exposed vs. speedier forwards...decent although mistake-prone as a puckmover, and mistakes will crop up with increased minutes...generally reliable at winning battles down low...reliable on the PK and can log some tough minutes. Projection: Ideal bottom-pairing defenseman who adds alot from a character standpoint. 6.9 (little to no upside)

Grant Clitsome
Very impressive to begin, though errors began creeping into his game towards the end of the year. Very mobile and plays with a bit of edge. Moves the puck confidently and effectively. Suffers from positional lapses and gets caught flat-footed. Decent at winning puck battles down low, and seems to relish playing against tough competition. A nice waiver pickup. 6.2 (moderate upside, could be in the high 6s)

Mark Flood
Career minor-leaguer impressed when given the opportunity. Solid skater who fares well 1 on 1. Reads the game well. Doesn't match up well against bigger, stronger forwards. Nice, accurate shot. Inconsistent decisions with the puck. A quality depth defenseman who can inject some offense. 5.8 (moderate upside)

Randy Jones
Basically came as advertised, a no-frills depth defenseman whose shortcoming don't take long to figure out. Borderline mobility as an NHL defenseman. Heavy shot, though rarely gets it through. Quality shot-blocker and effective on the PK. Plays small for his size. Generally plays within himself, though will make some poor defensive reads and decisions with the puck. Need to play shielded minutes limits his long-term potential with any club. 5.5 (little to no upside)

Arturs Kulda
Adequate in call-up opportunities. Decent size and mobility, shows some hitting ability. Raw positional instincts. Not sold on his long-term potential. 5.3 (upside is probably low 6s)

Brett Festerling
Good toughness and crease clearing abilities, serviceable skating, borderline puck skills. Not likely to rise up the depth chart. 4.8 (little to no upside)

Goaltending

Ondrej Pavelec
11-12 synopsis: Turned in some outstanding performances, and solidifies the Jets future between the pipes. The only thing eluding him is consistency. Strengths: Huge frame for a goalie...incredibly mobile and quick for his size...nice, quick glove hand...always seems to keep himself square to the play, and makes himself big in scrambles...rebound control improved greatly as the season progressed...keeps himself upright; rarely gets beaten by dropping down prematurely. Weaknesses: Overcommits and gets pulled out of position when he's off his game; seems to lose his bearings in the crease...still lets too many pucks sneak through him...doesn't seem to anticipate one-timers and backdoor passes very well...not a good breakaway goaltender...not an asset as a puckhandler. Projection: Has all the tools and mental composure to be an elite #1 netminder, all he needs is more experience. 8.1 (upside: high 8s most likely, but you never can tell with goaltenders)

Chris Mason
Impressive bounce-back season. Definitely could make a case for him getting more starts. Very quiet style, does a good job coralling rebounds. Drops prematurely at times and gets beaten high. Very heads-up puckhandler. A fine backup. 6.8 (no upside)

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 04-08-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Gaald

vCash: 1580
First off great job on the grading, it was a fun read.

When we lost the Jets back in the 90's I stopped watching hockey. My love for the game was destroyed, and even though I had played hockey most of my life I just didn't have it in me anymore and soon after that I quit playing as well.

As the years passed and rumor after rumor of getting a team back never came to pass I didn't think anything was ever going to get me to watch hockey again, I figured getting a team back truly was a pipe dream. Then all of a sudden it happened and before I knew it I was falling in love with the team, and the season hadn't even started! This past winter absolutely flew by and I can't believe the season is over. I had a great time watching the Jets play.

Having said that I find myself wondering about some of the stuff I see the team doing, because it goes against everything I remember ever being taught about the right way to play hockey. Have things changed this much?

First of all, I would love to see a change in our defensive strategy, in our own end. I hate the system we use now, and please correct me if I am wrong, but what I see is a strategy of sit back and wait to block a shot or intercept a pass. There is hardly any pressure on the opposing players which means along the outside they are able to pass the puck at will. Basically the Jets look like they are playing short handed in our own zone all game! I can't stand it. Yet a lot of the teams we had trouble playing against never sat back and watched us pass the puck, they jumped all over the player who had the puck and made every pass difficult.

This brings me to my next point. The Jets need to work on their play against the boards. They are horrible at it, and for god sakes why are we sending all three forwards to try and dig the puck out? When I played we used to get reamed out when that happened.

Even if you do win the battle, which we hardly ever did, if there are three of you on the boards you don't have anyone in the middle of the ice to pass the puck to making it difficult to maintain possession. Not only that but now the area you are fighting for the puck in is way more crowded leaving less room to move around. But lets say we do manage to get the puck, if there is no one in front of the net you can't even throw a trashy shot on net to try and get a rebound goal because there is no one in front to bang one in!

I am sure there was more that I wanted to mention, but for the life of me I can't remember right now. I do want to restate that I do love this team. I am part of a season ticket group, and I got to see some great games including the return of Teemu Selanne. My biggest fantasy wish for the Jets was that we could somehow convince Teemu to play one last year with us! That would be amazing!

I can't wait to see what happens during the off season, and I hope we come back stronger next year! Go Jets Go!

Gaald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Love it Hank, very well done.

I really like the metric you used to grade each player, solid analysis on the roster.

Last edited by Lynk: 04-08-2012 at 05:49 PM.