HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Absolutely. I've thought the exact same thing.

It's the same way we got Wheeler and Stuart last year as Boston needed to make a move to make space for Kaberle.

It's definitely an angle we should try and take. The only problem is that in return the only cap friendly return we can realistically give is Wellwood.
I really hope we resign Wellwood myself for the 3rd line next year. But I've also said before that he would garner a decent return this year because of his low contract. I would love another Wheeler and Stuart like trade though.

Besides dealing a guy like Wellwood, what about simply taking a bad contract and getting a pick or prospect for the trouble?

Say like a Dustin Penner and a 2nd for our 3rd type thing. Not a very sexy trade, but it turns a 3rd round pick into a 2nd.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:33 PM
sully1410

Alright, so my trading knowledge is limited...but why would anyone Dustin Penner and a 2nd for a 3rd?

Just a salary dump, and the second is purely incentive or what?

Old
02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Dirty30

vCash: 500
FYI- For those not aware ANTTI MIETTINEN cannot be traded this season as the Jets would have to put him on waivers first because of how he was claimed from Tampa.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Alright, so my trading knowledge is limited...but why would anyone Dustin Penner and a 2nd for a 3rd?

Just a salary dump, and the second is purely incentive or what?
You got it!

Old
02-21-2012, 10:54 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
I know the Derek Roy rumour got shut down, but I guess specluation is okay here. Is Roy someone who could help the Jets. A little under sized, but you can't argue he is a top 6 talent. He might just be the point per game forward we need. What would you give up for him?

Old
02-21-2012, 10:56 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I know the Derek Roy rumour got shut down, but I guess specluation is okay here. Is Roy someone who could help the Jets. A little under sized, but you can't argue he is a top 6 talent. He might just be the point per game forward we need. What would you give up for him?
I was looking into Boyes, and he went to buffalo from st. Louis for a second. I imagine it would be about the same.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Bane99

Quote:
If it was Slater and Postma for Roy I would do it. Sounds like a trade Eklund came up with though.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:09 PM
surixon

I'm beginning to think that our top 6 isn't going to be as big an issue going forward as I originally thought. Sure a legit top line center would be great but the cost to acquire one would be to high at this point in time. An area that I think Chevy should really focus on tjis summer is constructing a really good third line. I like the GST line as much as the next guy but they are ideally a 4th line on a contending team. I think a third line could be assembled fairly easily through FA and without having to give up prime assets in a trade. For instance there are a number of good third line centers on the market such as Stoll and Moore.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:22 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Chris Stewart

I'm surpsised there hasn't been more focus and talk on Chris Stewart. He has been a non-factor in St Louis this season compared to last season and has been demoted to 4th line for not buying into Hitchcock's system. He has H-U-G-E upside being a point-per-game player who can score lots of goals.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:52 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Derek Roy would be great for us but the coach and GM there love him to death. Buffalo is such a mess right now that they're listening to offers for him but I doubt they trade him unless some one blows them away. If he's traded it will be the start of a significant retool and they'll be looking for at least one youngish core player in return.

Personally I don't think we'll be in the running for him. There's a lot of teams that would be willing to give up more him due to some combination of a) having more expendable assets and b) not caring as much about his contract length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I was looking into Boyes, and he went to buffalo from st. Louis for a second. I imagine it would be about the same.
Boyes has been a disaster this year. At best, they're looking for a 3rd. Based on his current level of play he's not even worth that, but they'll find a team willing to gamble on him.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:05 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I don't see us making a move for a top six center. Right now we are rolling two offensive lines with Little and Burmi as centers. Antropov is on the 3rd line and is signed for next year, but long term he'll be replaced by Scheifele. 4th line center will probably belong to Slater (if re-signed) or Cormier going forward.

Maybe if this was two weeks ago when we were struggling to score, but Burmi has been a pleasant surprise as #2 center. It's the role we all knew he had the potential to fill in the future, but no one expected him to take over already.

Assuming Little and Burmi hold on to their spots, all we really need is a veteran center to serve as a stop-gap on the 3rd line until Scheifele is ready - which we already have in Antropov.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Wpgpage

Wonder what it would cost to get Vermette now vs. in the off season? Would they swap Antro and a pick/prospect for Vermette? Nothing against Antro but I think Vermette is better suited to play the 3rd line role. Add in a guy like Frolik who I think they could get for a 3rd round pick and you have 2/3 of an excellent checking 3rd line with some offensive upside depending on who the 2nd winger is.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
Wonder what it would cost to get Vermette now vs in the off season? Would they swap Antro and a pick/prospect for Vermette? Nothing against Antro but I think Vermette is better suited to play the 3rd line role. Add in a guy like Frolik who I think they could get for a 3rd round pick and you have 2/3 of an excellent checking 3rd line with some offensive upside depending on who the 2nd winger is.
I did some poking around the Columbus board and they seem to be somewhat open to dealing Vermette. It sounds like a 2nd or maybe a 2nd/4th gets it done.

I like the idea from another thread of a 3-way trade between us/Chicago/Columbus.

To Chicago:
-Oduya

To Columbus:
-Chicago 2nd
-Winnipeg 4th

To Winnipeg:
-Vermette

Maybe that's not quite enough from us. I'd be willing to go as high as another 2nd from us. That would give Columbus 2 2nds for Vermette.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Wpgpage

Seams relatively fair although I think if we add a pick/ low prospect we could get another piece from CHI on top of the second rounder

TO CHI
Oduya
3rd (drops to 4th if resigned)

TO WIN
2nd
J Hayes

Then

To CBJ
Antopov
CHI 2nd
Kulda

To WIN
Vermette

Think that's pretty fair value for everyone except CHI but they have to overpay given the market on UFA defense men right now.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Basalt13

I am not a believer that we need a top 6 center at the moment. We are decent down the middle, with Little who is really a 1b/2a center, Burmi who is solid as a number 2 and really canít be moved down or to the wing if we want him to continue to develop. Also Slater is great at faceoffs, and Antropov is decent on the third line.

What we really need is a top 6 winger to put some pucks in the net, centers arenít the goal scorers wingers are and right now we need lots of help finishing. I donít follow other teams so donít know who is available who would fit that role but imo that is what we need.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:59 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I'm surpsised there hasn't been more focus and talk on Chris Stewart. He has been a non-factor in St Louis this season compared to last season and has been demoted to 4th line for not buying into Hitchcock's system. He has H-U-G-E upside being a point-per-game player who can score lots of goals.
I mentioned Stewart a few weeks ago and I think he's an ideal target to go after.

Hitchcock has turned the Blues into one of the best teams in the league, but Stewart hasn't been able to adjust to his system and has been awful this season. More importantly, he's scheduled to become an RFA this summer and he's already making 2.7 million, so he's going to expect a raise on that.

Hitchcock and Armstrong also have a few connections to Winnipeg players - Hainsey played for Hitchcock in Columbus when he had arguably his best season to date and Armstrong tried to sign Wellwood out of the KHL last year, but lost him when he was claimed off waivers by San Jose.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Wpgpage

A line of Kane-Burmi-Stewart would be awfully fun to watch. Has the possibility of being nightmarish in their own end though. I doubt they move him his value is very low right now but if they were willing to swap Hainsey + Wellwood + pick that would be a trade you would have to make.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt13 View Post
I am not a believer that we need a top 6 center at the moment. We are decent down the middle, with Little who is really a 1b/2a center, Burmi who is solid as a number 2 and really canít be moved down or to the wing if we want him to continue to develop. Also Slater is great at faceoffs, and Antropov is decent on the third line.

What we really need is a top 6 winger to put some pucks in the net, centers arenít the goal scorers wingers are and right now we need lots of help finishing. I donít follow other teams so donít know who is available who would fit that role but imo that is what we need.
I agree we need a winger more than a center but Vermette is very versatile. He can play all 3 forward positions, he's great at faceoffs if needed, he's responsible defensively, and he has 60 point potential. Most importantly however is that he is attainable for a reasonable price because of his cap hit (which we can handle). Also, he is not a rental so he helps us going foward.

I'm grasping at straws for ways that we can improve for the playoff push and in the future. The opportunities will be few and far between.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

****. Vermette to Phoenix for a pair of draft picks. Not sure how high the picks were. There goes that dream for me.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
****. Vermette to Phoenix for a pair of draft picks. Not sure how high the picks were. There goes that dream for me.
Looks like a 2nd and a 5th that turns into a 4th if the Coyotes win a round.

Good deal for them.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:14 PM
almostawake

Quote:
2nd, 5th and McElhinney.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:18 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Vermette is from just outside of Quebec City ....

Old
02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Vermette is from just outside of Quebec City ....
Apparently the Coyotes might not even move. The league and Greg Jamison are supposed to announce a sale before the end of this month.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

You've got to give it to the Coyotes for their ability to pull off these shrewd moves. I'm quite disappointed Chevy wasn't in on this given the price. This will be a huge win for the Coyotes. We could have added another version of Bryan Little who has the ability to play wing.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Wpgpage

Great trade for the Yotes, to bad would have fit in well here I think.

Closed Thread