HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2012, 09:05 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
I agree. He would be a good addition to our third line.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
What would you want from us for Grabner? He could fit in very well here in a 3rd line/ special teams role.
I'd have no problem doing Grabner for a defensive upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Obviously you would have to add if it included both, but you can have Buff for the pick and small +.
I don't know if I'd do the pick for Byfuglien straight up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I wouldn't make that deal for the pick alone. Unless you were implying that Isles prospects would be added?

I think they would be asking for more than he is worth to be honest.
Grabner's value is low right now, which is funny because in a dissapointing year he still gets 17 goals. Bailey could be an option as well.

What if the Isles added Bailey? He has come on of late, 12 points in his last 7 games.

Isles first, Josh Bailey for Byfuglien and Stuart?

Old
04-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Grabner's value is low right now, which is funny because in a dissapointing year he still gets 17 goals. Bailey could be an option as well.
What if the Isles added Bailey? He has come on of late, 12 points in his last 7 games.
Isles first, Josh Bailey for Byfuglien and Stuart?
I wouldn't make that deal myself.

IMO, Buff is worth a 1st +. Losing him creates a massive hole on defense. Adding in Stuart makes that hole worse, and Bailey is no where near enough to compensate. While Baily might be a decent 3rd liner, the Jets need impact 1st and 2nd liners. And we especially don't need any more smallish forwards.

I personally wouldn't trade Stuart unless another team knocked my socks off as well. He is a heart and soul guy who hits, fights, blocks shots, etc.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I wouldn't make that deal myself.

IMO, Buff is worth a 1st +. Losing him creates a massive hole on defense. Adding in Stuart makes that hole worse, and Bailey is no where near enough to compensate. While Baily might be a decent 3rd liner, the Jets need impact 1st and 2nd liners. And we especially don't need any more smallish forwards.

I personally wouldn't trade Stuart unless another team knocked my socks off as well. He is a heart and soul guy who hits, fights, blocks shots, etc.
Just realize where that first round pick is though.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:53 AM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Doubt Winnipeg wants to move plus players for possible futures. Winnipeg fans realize the team needs to be built, I don't think they would take kindly to trading a very valuable piece for a possible , even if the pick is high. That pick is years away from producing on the same level and that is an issue imo.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Wpgpage

It's a fair value but I just don't see how it really advances the team, if the Jets were in a different position maybe but not where they are right now.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I don't make that trade ever. The value of picks isn't actually based on logic, as most assume a top 10 pick automatically equals a 1st line forward or first pairing d, which, if you look through past drafts, you'll see isn't the case, probably closer to a 60% chance. . A first pairing Dman, who can put up 50+ points, is the type of player you HOPE to draft in the top 10.A lot of players taken in that point don't pan out to be the type of player byfuglien is. You feel a 60% chance of a 1st line/pair dman, with a 20% chance of an actual upgrade, is worth MORE then a proven 1st pairing dman?

to that i say a thank you, no.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:46 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Although I doubt he'll traded again, I wonder if Anaheim would listen to offers for Andrew Cogliano.

They gave up a second rounder for him last year, but he had a career low in points (12 goals, 25 points) and he's signed for two more years at 2.3 million/year.

The reason I'd like to see him on the Jets is his blazing speed. For a team that likes to play an uptempo game, Cogliano could be a good addition.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Huffer

Quote:
I think Grind answered it pretty good.

I know the pick is going to be low. And there is a chance that that player could be a star. But he might also just be average. And he might be a disappointment. No one knows.

Buff for all of his warts, is one of the highest producing defensemen in the game. His literally in his second full season as a NHL defenseman, and only his first with a real defensive coach (Huddy). He also played injured for stretches this past year, and gutted out the last bunch of games down the stretch with a bone bruise.

Losing Buff and only getting back a pick as the main piece (even though it is high) just sets this team back at least 3 years. Adding in Stuart and losing both Buff and Stuart for a pick that most likely won't play for 2-3 years, and getting a 3rd line centre as the only NHL ready player while losing two quality defense-man just doesn't make sense from a hockey standpoint.

Old
04-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Wpgpage

TO NSH
Enstrom

TO WPG
Wilson
Blum

Sign Zanon 9/3

TO NYI
Postma
Cormier

TO WPG
Grabner

Ladd/Little/Wheeler
Kane/Wilson/Wellwood
Grabner/Burmi/Antropov
M-S-G
Thor-Stapler

Hainsey-Bogo
Zanon-Buffy
Stuart-Blum
Clitsome

This could be a interesting line up, if Wilson can put up 50+ points you look pretty good, if he sticks as a 35-40 PT center then this trade doesn't look so great. Wilson replaces Cormier, Blum replaces Postma. You then flip the two redundant players for a young very useful player on a nice long term deal. Look to draft a young LH defnseman in this draft, and hope hes ready by the time Zanon's deal is up. Jets lose a little skill from the back end but increase the forward depth by a lot.
Needs:
Top 6 RW
Top 4 LH PMD
Bottom 6 RW

When Little scored 30 was he playing RW at that point?

Old
04-01-2012, 06:52 PM
puck stoppa

I don't mind Little at wing. We could get way more for Enstrom though, if Goligoski lands Neal than we need at a top six forward to play with Kane.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I don't mind Little at wing. We could get way more for Enstrom though, if Goligoski lands Neal than we need at a top six forward to play with Kane.
I really like Wilson think he can put up 60 PTS in a second line role.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:00 PM
JetsFan815

Quote:
TO NSH
When Little scored 30 was he playing RW at that point?
He was playing with Kovalchuk. That's all that needs to be said. Little has said he's more comfortable playing Center and by all accounts he's a solid 2nd line center.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I really don't have much interest in Grabner at all. He's pretty much the definition of one-trick pony.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I really don't have much interest in Grabner at all. He's pretty much the definition of one-trick pony.
I used to think that to be hes not at all, guy plays above average defense, is a way above average PKer ( would be the best PKer on the Jets) and to top it off he's a really efficient scorer. Plus hes one of the fastest players on the ice. Take a minute and have a real long look at his play its amazing how much he actually does out there. Who knew Garth Snow actually knows what hes doing.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
He was playing with Kovalchuk. That's all that needs to be said. Little has said he's more comfortable playing Center and by all accounts he's a solid 2nd line center.
I think he played with White and Kozlov having career years. I'm not sure though, just had to act knowledgeable to boost my ego.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
I used to think that to be hes not at all, guy plays above average defense, is a way above average PKer ( would be the best PKer on the Jets) and to top it off he's a really efficient scorer. Plus hes one of the fastest players on the ice. Take a minute and have a real long look at his play its amazing how much he actually does out there. Who knew Garth Snow actually knows what hes doing.
I'll give you the fact that I haven't seen him play a ton, but to be honest he tends to get beaten out of roster spots by the type of players we already have on our squad. The scoring off the PK was the exact trick I was talking about, he has blazing speed and players have to play honest on him while on the PP because of it. Like I said I haven't seen him a ton, but I never remember any great defensive play by him either. His advanced stats don't really jump out at me either.

To the last part with Snow...have you seen Grabners contract? Good cap hit, but is Grabner going to be worth 5 mil in 2015-2016? I highly doubt it.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:54 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
I think he played with White and Kozlov having career years. I'm not sure though, just had to act knowledgeable to boost my ego.
Good memory Romang.

Quote:
Little had 31 goals last season and played alongside White and Kozlov.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-th...te-170069.html

Old
04-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Yeah Little was part of the 'little white russian' line when he had that 31G year.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I'll give you the fact that I haven't seen him play a ton, but to be honest he tends to get beaten out of roster spots by the type of players we already have on our squad. The scoring off the PK was the exact trick I was talking about, he has blazing speed and players have to play honest on him while on the PP because of it. Like I said I haven't seen him a ton, but I never remember any great defensive play by him either. His advanced stats don't really jump out at me either.

To the last part with Snow...have you seen Grabners contract? Good cap hit, but is Grabner going to be worth 5 mil in 2015-2016? I highly doubt it.
His contract is structured really stupidly its a typical Islanders contract built to get the max financial value out of the first years then be tradeable to avoid paying actual $$ to the player. The poorly structured contract is actually part of the reason I would support trying to trade for him, as teams with money issues will not be interested thus lowering the cost on the trade market. The Jets should not have this issue, if the reports on them being top 10 in revenue are true they should have no problem covering a few extra million here or there.

The thing I like about him, other than the PK ability is how efficient he is, this season he's on pace to score 15 ES goals and is averaging just 12.6 minutes of 5on5 time a game last year he had 26 while playing only 12.1 minutes per game. Compare that to a player like Kane, who has 23 but he averages 14.75 minutes per game, or Andrew Ladd who has 21 in 14.8 minutes per game. I don't mind his advanced stats, he's playing well above average competition and although his Corsi is negative he's not exactly playing with real puck possession wizards on the island. He generated a positive Corsi last year while playing slightly worse competition so I'm confident he would return to being a + player with ether easier minutes or better line mates.

Grabner is not a top 6 player, his 30 goal season was a result of a very high (14.9%) shooting % he was obviously going to regress. This year he's at a much more sustainable 10.6% and I think this is closer to the player he will be for most of his career 30-40 PTS with 20 goals. Is he overpaid at 3.00M yes but not by much maybe 400K-600K, getting an extra 20 goals from your bottom 6 without taking ice time away from your top players is a huge advantage especially when he is also an x-factor on the PK.

I would not give up a ton for him, but if the Jets can pick him up at 50 cents on the dollar I think he could be a solid addition.

Last edited by Wpgpage: 04-02-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old
04-02-2012, 02:02 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
Yeah Little was part of the 'little white russian' line when he had that 31G year.
Yep. White had a career year that season and Kozlov had one of his better seasons. Little scored A LOT of his goals from in front of the net. But his best season overall was easily last year at center. It's the only reason I'm not sold on him being moved to wing.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:12 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
I really don't see the point in bringing Grabner over. Just think he'd have the same impact as Wellwood did this year. He probably wouldn't be a consistent top 6 player for us. He's extremely inconsistent. 28 points in 75 games? Wellwood has 47 in 77 and he would be better as a 3rd line scorer.

Old
04-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I agree.

Old
04-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Huffer

Quote:
His contract is structured really stupidly its a typical Islanders contract built to get the max financial value out of the first years then be tradeable to avoid paying actual $$ to the player. The poorly structured contract is actually part of the reason I would support trying to trade for him, as teams with money issues will not be interested thus lowering the cost on the trade market. The Jets should not have this issue, if the reports on them being top 10 in revenue are true they should have no problem covering a few extra million here or there.

The thing I like about him, other than the PK ability is how efficient he is, this season he's on pace to score 15 ES goals and is averaging just 12.6 minutes of 5on5 time a game last year he had 26 while playing only 12.1 minutes per game. Compare that to a player like Kane, who has 23 but he averages 14.75 minutes per game, or Andrew Ladd who has 21 in 14.8 minutes per game. I don't mind his advanced stats, he's playing well above average competition and although his Corsi is negative he's not exactly playing with real puck possession wizards on the island. He generated a positive Corsi last year while playing slightly worse competition so I'm confident he would return to being a + player with ether easier minutes or better line mates.

Grabner is not a top 6 player, his 30 goal season was a result of a very high (14.9%) shooting % he was obviously going to regress. This year he's at a much more sustainable 10.6% and I think this is closer to the player he will be for most of his career 30-40 PTS with 20 goals. Is he overpaid at 3.00M yes but not by much maybe 400K-600K, getting an extra 20 goals from your bottom 6 without taking ice time away from your top players is a huge advantage especially when he is also an x-factor on the PK.

I would not give up a ton for him, but if the Jets can pick him up at 50 cents on the dollar I think he could be a solid addition.
Good analysis Wpgpage.

Personally I'm not interested in Grabner for the same reasons as Sweech. I wouldn't want him in our top 6, and because our team is small enough already, I'm not sure if adding him to the 3rd line is the answer.

I wouldn't be totally upset about it if we got him to 50 cents on the dollar, but IMO Postma and Cormier would be overpayment. I think that's a lot to give up myself.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Although I doubt he'll traded again, I wonder if Anaheim would listen to offers for Andrew Cogliano.

They gave up a second rounder for him last year, but he had a career low in points (12 goals, 25 points) and he's signed for two more years at 2.3 million/year.

The reason I'd like to see him on the Jets is his blazing speed. For a team that likes to play an uptempo game, Cogliano could be a good addition.
As long as the Jets and Cogliano are on the same page that he is not going to be relied on for offense in any meaningful way, I would take him for sure. I have said for years that he would fit the Michael Peca role perfectly. He has great wheels and could be the perfect 3C/ PKer. We already have a pretty good one of those in Slater, though.

The problem is, is Cogliano always thought he was a scorer. He had moderate success in his first year on the Kid line in Edmonton, and I don't think he will ever replicate it. He just doesn't have the mitts to score consistently.