HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2012, 10:48 AM
ducky

vCash: 500
Biggest concern IMO is our horrible GAA. The Jets will not make the playoffs with a bottom 5 goals against. What is needed to FIX THAT?

Is it better stay at home D?

Is it more defensively aware forward group?

Or is it just another year learning/playing the system?

Old
04-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Biggest concern IMO is our horrible GAA. The Jets will not make the playoffs with a bottom 5 goals against. What is needed to FIX THAT?

Honestly, IMO it's a little of all 3.

I do think we could use another big, tough stay at home D man. Like a Jackman or an Allen. On top of that, I think many of us would like to see Enstrom and Buff split up, and have each of them with a responsible D partner.

We also need improvement from our forwards as well. Some games you could see the constant back pressure from them, and other times it looked like no forward wanted to play defense.

Can't comment too much about the system without knowing too much about it. I don't know why we play so passive in our zone sometimes. We play 5 on 5 in our zone like we are killing a penalty sometimes.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
What's going to be done about goaltending for next season?

Four factors to consider:
a) I mentioned in the papers thread, Mason sounds like he wants to go to a team that will give him a better shot at some playing time.

b) Pasquale is probably not ready for NHL backup duties yet.

c) Pavelec is arbitration eligible, so not bringing in a proven guy puts a gun to the Jets head should he decide to go that route.

d) Though I'm not really of this school of thought, many felt that Pavelec burned out towards the end, and needs to be spelled more frequently.

Who should the Jets target? Josh Harding looks decent to me. I don't see the bidding war on his services getting too crazy, as he hasn't yet proven himself as an NHL starter (unlike Mason). Martin Biron might be worth a look as well.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
What's going to be done about goaltending for next season?

Four factors to consider:
a) I mentioned in the papers thread, Mason sounds like he wants to go to a team that will give him a better shot at some playing time.

b) Pasquale is probably not ready for NHL backup duties yet.

c) Pavelec is arbitration eligible, so not bringing in a proven guy puts a gun to the Jets head should he decide to go that route.

d) Though I'm not really of this school of thought, many felt that Pavelec burned out towards the end, and needs to be spelled more frequently.

Who should the Jets target? Josh Harding looks decent to me. I don't see the bidding war on his services getting too crazy, as he hasn't yet proven himself as an NHL starter (unlike Mason). Martin Biron might be worth a look as well.
I really think that Mason will be back. It appears that he likes it here, and to be honest, I don't see him being the number 1 on any team in the league. Plus, he gets along with everyone on the team, as well as Pavelec and Flaherty which is very important.

So if you combine a) with d) then I could see a good fit for him to return. Maybe Mason sits down with Chevy and Noel and they explain their role for him next year. If they tell him that they think the starts were a little one sided this year and they see him getting say 25-30 starts, I would think he would resign.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I really think that Mason will be back. It appears that he likes it here, and to be honest, I don't see him being the number 1 on any team in the league. Plus, he gets along with everyone on the team, as well as Pavelec and Flaherty which is very important.

So if you combine a) with d) then I could see a good fit for him to return. Maybe Mason sits down with Chevy and Noel and they explain their role for him next year. If they tell him that they think the starts were a little one sided this year and they see him getting say 25-30 starts, I would think he would resign.
Good points, Huffer.

It just seems to me that it's exceedingly rare for veteran backups to be re-signed at the end of their deal. That fact, combined with Mason expressing desire to take a run at a starting role somewhere, makes it seem like the writing is on the wall.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:53 AM
sully1410

I could go either way with mason. I'd resign him if he did in fact want to play here, but I wouldn't get into a bidding war(so to speak) with the guy in order to keep him here.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Wpgpage

He would be a good fit in TO starting 35 ish games while they slowly work Reimer back in or Rynnas or whoever is the next franchise goalie down there. Honestly looking at the success teams have had picking up bargain basement guys at around 600K-1M I think this this the way to go.

Old
04-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by km204 View Post
I would love a Stastny for Enstrom trade.
I`d do that too, personally.

04-09-2012, 03:15 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post

Quote:
Honestly, IMO it's a little of all 3.

I do think we could use another big, tough stay at home D man. Like a Jackman or an Allen. On top of that, I think many of us would like to see Enstrom and Buff split up, and have each of them with a responsible D partner.

We also need improvement from our forwards as well. Some games you could see the constant back pressure from them, and other times it looked like no forward wanted to play defense.

Can't comment too much about the system without knowing too much about it. I don't know why we play so passive in our zone sometimes. We play 5 on 5 in our zone like we are killing a penalty sometimes.
yea Huff I think you nailed it.

perhaps some tweaking of our personnel in both our D core and forwards. I agree on splitting up Toby and Buff plus I would want to see Buff to show up in the best shape he has been in his life. Huddy made mention of this in his Coach's summit comments in a polite positive way. If Buff is dedicated in the off season and brings the good version of himself night in night out where he picks his spots wisely then I think we could attack the GAA. We need to put away less pressure on our D to generate scoring chances.

Anything that can get this team to a place where Pavs doesn't have to stand on his head and face the volume of high quality scoring chances so often

Old
04-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
yea Huff I think you nailed it.

perhaps some tweaking of our personnel in both our D core and forwards. I agree on splitting up Toby and Buff plus I would want to see Buff to show up in the best shape he has been in his life. Huddy made mention of this in his Coach's summit comments in a polite positive way. If Buff is dedicated in the off season and brings the good version of himself night in night out where he picks his spots wisely then I think we could attack the GAA. We need to put away less pressure on our D to generate scoring chances.

Anything that can get this team to a place where Pavs doesn't have to stand on his head and face the volume of high quality scoring chances so often
Was this the video or audio that someone posted earlier? I wanted to listen to it, but can't find the link.

Anyone have it?

Thanks.

Old
04-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Wpgpage

Adding another name to my wishlist;

Jason Garrison: Hes big 6.02-220 hes left handed, he plays the tough minutes 1.015 in 2011 and 1.412 in 2010. He's also a good skater, plays physical and is headed into his age 28 season. The goals are probably a mirage but there is no denying he is a very solid defender and signing him as they added affect of weakening FLA. He can also play both roles on the left side, as a anchor to Buffy, or if Toby can't handle the tougher minutes he can be pair with Bogo to make a menacing shutdown pairing. 22.5M/5 (4.5 per) would be as high as I would go for his services. A top 4 of:
Enstrom-Bogo
Garrison-Buffy
Is defiantly in consideration for top in the league, that group could also put out close to 150 PTS.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:48 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Here are Mason's quotes from the WFP:

Quote:
Chris Mason:

"I loved it, the whole experience. I feel very fortunate to have been part of everything. The only thing that I can say I didn't like about this year was I would have liked to have played more. But the situation with Pav (Pavelec) here, I understand. All in all, I loved being here and I would definitely like to come back. It's just a matter if I'm personally willing to concede and hang it up and be a backup goalie. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's the decision I'm going to make this off-season.

"I'm not a young gaffer by any means. It's the decision I have to make. Is it my last kick at getting playing time, or do I come back here, a place I'd love to be in? That's the only decision I have to make. I was proud to be a Winnipeg Jet."
It doesn't sound like he'll sign before July 1st. He probably wants to test the market and see if he can get a 1B job somewhere. If not, he might come back to the Jets.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:15 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Was this the video or audio that someone posted earlier? I wanted to listen to it, but can't find the link.

Anyone have it?

Thanks.
Yea the audio link was posted here to the coach's summit.....I will track it down and get back to you

Old
04-09-2012, 11:51 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Here are Mason's quotes from the WFP:

It doesn't sound like he'll sign before July 1st. He probably wants to test the market and see if he can get a 1B job somewhere. If not, he might come back to the Jets.
There's no way he signs before July 1st. I really hope he doesn't take too long to test the market and force the Jets to go with a lesser option at backup. Mason played almost as good as Pavelec did this year and deserved more starts IMO, but clearly Pavelec is the number 1 going forward and Mason might be better served by joining a team without a clear starter where he'd at least split the starts. I'd really love to have him back though, he seemed like a strong leader given his comments when the team wasn't performing well.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:00 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
I think this falls under the coach Noel learning curve; I'm guessing next year, regardless of who are backup is, that Pavelec plays about 60 instead of 68 games.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post

Jason Garrison: Hes big 6.02-220 hes left handed, he plays the tough minutes 1.015 in 2011 and 1.412 in 2010. He's also a good skater, plays physical and is headed into his age 28 season. The goals are probably a mirage but there is no denying he is a very solid defender and signing him as they added affect of weakening FLA. He can also play both roles on the left side, as a anchor to Buffy, or if Toby can't handle the tougher minutes he can be pair with Bogo to make a menacing shutdown pairing. 22.5M/5 (4.5 per) would be as high as I would go for his services. A top 4 of:
Enstrom-Bogo
Garrison-Buffy
Is defiantly in consideration for top in the league, that group could also put out close to 150 PTS.
Can't see him signing here. He should re-sign with Florida, as that's where he's found success. The reason he wouldn't sign there is the $$$. I don't want to be the team that throws that kind of money at him. It would be Hainsey 2.0 all over again. Good player, bad contract.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:01 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post

Enstrom-Bogo
Garrison-Buffy
Good find on Garrison. He is a very interesting option, but also very risky one.

He could settle into a top 4 role and work out very well, but the downside is pretty much limitless, like, Finger limitless.

I wouldn't really be for or against signing Garrison, but if Cheveldayoff does sign him I think it has the potential to be one of the defining decisions of his tenure with the Jets.

As far as money goes, I'd be most comfortable giving him a two year contract, even if it meant going as high as 5.25M per. To honest though, I'm having trouble estimating his value on the open market. The huge variable is how many (if any) NHL GMs feel he has proven himself as a top 2 or top 4 guy. Things like this can be quite tricky with the information we have as fans.

Either way though, I have a feeling he won't make it to July 1. I think the Panthers will get something down with him for between 3.75M and 4.25M for 4 years.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:

Anyone have it?

Thanks.
http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=24

It is located in the menu on the right side of the window

Old
04-10-2012, 09:22 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

thanks Gump I was just looking for where this was posted before and felt like my kid on the easter Egg hunt!

Old
04-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Thanks a lot.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:53 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Clearly you didn't understand what I wrote. I know that Winnipeg doesn't qualify for revenue sharing. However, Chipman said he was disappointed that Winnipeg didn't qualify for revenue sharing. And what does that mean? Simple. It means that the budget is going down. Every team that has ever said that they've missed out on revenue sharing always lowers the budget the following year. Just look up what teams did who missed qualifying for revenue sharing. They all ended up slashing their budget so that they qualify for revenue sharing the following year.

As for the defenseman that was moved, I was referring to Oduya, not Coburn. Even though he was a UFA, Winnipeg was in a race for a playoff spot. You never get rid of a serviceable player when you're in the midst of contending for a playoff spot, especially when said player was averaging 19:20 of ice time per game. Any time a team moves a player like that, that's usually the sign the white flag has been raised. I'm sure Cheveldayoff could have waited until the draft to move Oduya.
Strikes 4 and 5?

Old
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

As for the defenseman that was moved, I was referring to Oduya, not Coburn. Even though he was a UFA, Winnipeg was in a race for a playoff spot. You never get rid of a serviceable player when you're in the midst of contending for a playoff spot, especially when said player was averaging 19:20 of ice time per game. Any time a team moves a player like that, that's usually the sign the white flag has been raised. I'm sure Cheveldayoff could have waited until the draft to move Oduya.
Yes I'm sure teams would've been lining up to give Chevy a 7th round conditional pick for negotiating rights of a UFA who is a week away from hitting the open market.

It's called long term thinking.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Here is the link to the 2 hour GM Summit podcast with Cheveldayoff....

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...tid=9428&id=24

It isn't quite as informative IMO versus the Noel podcast; Chevy tends to speak in much more guarded terms - given that he is precluded from discussing specific players currently under contract elsewhere due tampering rules, and that he also has yet to negotiate with many of his own players that are potentially due new deals.

Still worth the listen though.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Based off the interview on the Jets' site, it sounds like Slater will be back as long as management wants him here.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Good find on Garrison. He is a very interesting option, but also very risky one.

He could settle into a top 4 role and work out very well, but the downside is pretty much limitless, like, Finger limitless.

I wouldn't really be for or against signing Garrison, but if Cheveldayoff does sign him I think it has the potential to be one of the defining decisions of his tenure with the Jets.

As far as money goes, I'd be most comfortable giving him a two year contract, even if it meant going as high as 5.25M per. To honest though, I'm having trouble estimating his value on the open market. The huge variable is how many (if any) NHL GMs feel he has proven himself as a top 2 or top 4 guy. Things like this can be quite tricky with the information we have as fans.

Either way though, I have a feeling he won't make it to July 1. I think the Panthers will get something down with him for between 3.75M and 4.25M for 4 years.
I was going to write a defence of my Garrison suggestion, but the Globe did it for me http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1983801/ He is criminally underrated. Also the score did a nice article on him http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/0...fense-pairing/

Closed Thread