HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
almostawake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
I was going to write a defence of my Garrison suggestion, but the Globe did it for me http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1983801/ He is criminally underrated. Also the score did a nice article on him http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/0...fense-pairing/
I don't consider my comments to be as much of a criticism. Garrison has been a very good defenceman for the Panthers over the last two seasons but it's pretty hard to get around the fact that signing him would be a risk based on a variety of factors.

Regarding the links you provided, they're both from last year. Garrison and Weaver's analytics are still quite solid this year, but their QoC is much much lower.

But to my point of risk, I look at Keith Ballard's analytics from 07-08. His QoC was very good, top 5 in the league, and had a very respectable relative +/-. That summer he went to Florida in the Jokinen trade and they signed him to a big money contract. Few years later he's a #7 defenceman in Vancouver.

In general, higher level analytics are very much in their infancy in hockey. I really don't trust them at all and for individual players they can fluctuate a great deal season to season.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:15 PM
FromChaos22

Don't know where to put this, but haven't heard anything about it in awhile and was wondering what's the latest on what division you guys will play in next season? I know the NHLPA shot down the huge re-alignment thing so will you guys be switched with one other team?

Old
04-10-2012, 09:30 PM
mondo3

same as this season.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:38 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

After hearing some of things Chevy said in his press conference (specifically his emphasis on getting bigger next year), I wonder if we've seen Tim Stapleton play his last game as a Jet. The same could be said for Wellwood, but seeing as how he was signed as a UFA and had a career year, I could see Chevy re-signing him.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:48 AM
sully1410
#BandOfBeavers

vCash: 72
I'm kind of interested in the notion that Chevy would be open to trading away the pick to acquire one of the assets we need in the short term.

I thought that was cool.

Now for a what if question. The last thing the Oilers need is another first round pick. What they need is a goalie, top pairing defensemen and some guys to fill out the third and fourth line.

If the Oilers wanted pavelec for their first, or for one of their main three(nuge, hall, and eberle), would you do it?

I don't think I would. As much as we need some help out front, and any one of those guys would do it, I personally believe that the basis for a great team starts between the two pipes.

Old
04-11-2012, 05:52 AM
MISC*
Negged.

LOTS of talk in Vancouver about Kane being unhappy in Wpg.

Any truth to this?

Old
04-11-2012, 06:02 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
After hearing some of things Chevy said in his press conference (specifically his emphasis on getting bigger next year), I wonder if we've seen Tim Stapleton play his last game as a Jet. The same could be said for Wellwood, but seeing as how he was signed as a UFA and had a career year, I could see Chevy re-signing him.
Looking at Welly's comments in the WFP and just judging/estimated-guess on TNSE plans with prospects... It's really up in the air...
Welly doesn't want a one year contract cos he's tired of relocating but my guess is TNSE wants him for 1-2 years to continue grooming Kane/Burmi on the 2nd (aka QoC shielded) line and then dump him when they can get a "better" second liner...

I say Stapleton will only stay as a 13th/healthy-scratch forward... like the guy and all but they are prob making room for Cormier/Mach

Old
04-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Huffer

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post

Any truth to this?
Kane has never said anything publicly that he is unhappy. (Not that an athlete would mind you, just saying he hasn't).

Question to ask yourself is, of all the fanbases in the NHL, could there possibly be a reason for Vancouver to wonder if Kane was unhappy? Hmmmm, Kane being from Vancouver couldn't have anything to do with it right?

Old
04-11-2012, 09:14 AM
teucer

Quote:

Any truth to this?
Beginning of the season there was some rumors, and in interviews he has said he enjoys playing here and there was no indication of him not wanting to play here. But it's hard to really tell what's going on in his head. The only people that probably know is his girlfriend and his agent. But if he wants to leave, I won't be mad. I'd rather someone who wants to play in winnipeg then someone who doesn't, as long as we fetch something good in return.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 460
Quote:

Any truth to this?
Hard to say. His one answer on Off the Record was kind of but it may of just been dry humor about his house being his favorite place in Winnipeg.

I think the end of his quote in the FPress article kind of gave me a double take in as it was differently toned then the other interviews with UFA and RFAs.

"Playing in a Canadian market and playing in front of these fans every night definitely made it fun to come to the rink," said Kane. "I really enjoyed playing in the MTS Centre and with this group of guys. It's disappointing not to make the playoffs, but at the same time I thought there were a lot of positives with the season."

Asked about contract talks, Kane added: "We're going to have see what happens and sit down and talk with my agent. That's why I pay them the big money. There's a lot going on with the new CBA and all that kind of stuff."

I would of prefered him to say " No big deal! We are gonna work something out and I will be back on the ice in front of the amazing Jets fans for years to come" ....................................But thats me just being a homer lol

Old
04-11-2012, 09:43 AM
ps241
Get on board Sip :)

vCash: 50
Quote:

Any truth to this?
If I was guessing I would say he loves playing in front of the fans at the MTS centre but maybe finds Winnipeg to be too much of a fish bowl (that is if there is any truth to the rumors). I can tell you pretty much every guy on the team loves "playing" here but I can't speak for Kane. Evander had some challenges this year handling the small stage and he certainly went through a rough patch where he seemed to be in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. He was his own worst enemy early on but then it all took on an ugly life form where the rumor mill got out of control. I have no idea how that impacts a 20 year old and maybe he would rather live and play in a city where he can be more anonymous in public and I would completely understand that. To tell you the truth with his personality it might be a good idea at some point depending on his maturing process.

Either way he is an RFA for the next 4 years so his options might be pretty limited and TNSE will want to maximize the value of Kane. Love him or loath him he is a key piece of the puzzle currently. I will be curious to watch his contract negotiations this off season.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:55 AM
ps241
Get on board Sip :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Hard to say. His one answer on Off the Record was kind of but it may of just been dry humor about his house being his favorite place in Winnipeg.

I think the end of his quote in the FPress article kind of gave me a double take in as it was differently toned then the other interviews with UFA and RFAs.

"Playing in a Canadian market and playing in front of these fans every night definitely made it fun to come to the rink," said Kane. "I really enjoyed playing in the MTS Centre and with this group of guys. It's disappointing not to make the playoffs, but at the same time I thought there were a lot of positives with the season."

Asked about contract talks, Kane added: "We're going to have see what happens and sit down and talk with my agent. That's why I pay them the big money. There's a lot going on with the new CBA and all that kind of stuff."I would of prefered him to say " No big deal! We are gonna work something out and I will be back on the ice in front of the amazing Jets fans for years to come" ....................................But thats me just being a homer lol
one of the big challenges could be that from what I am hearing drags on 2nd contracts exactly like Evander is negotiating (post entry level) will be one of the areas of focus and I think they might have some consensus on both sides on this being a good idea. Not sure how much drama that will create on Kane's deal.

I sense with Kane it will be all business and I am fine with that.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Mossy Oak
Noted.

Quote:
Asked about contract talks, Kane added: "We're going to have see what happens and sit down and talk with my agent. That's why I pay them the big money. There's a lot going on with the new CBA and all that kind of stuff."

I believe at this point for Kane, given he is just coming off an entry level contract, he really doesn't have much say in this contract negotiation. Of course he can reject any offer he wants, but he doesn't have any bargaining power in the form of arbitration or anything like that. Basically what the Winnipeg Jets offer him he either has to play for or sit, pick one.

With that being said, of course management will be fair, it would be idiotic to not be fair to your players and especially one that scored 30 goals.

04-11-2012, 10:20 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I believe at this point for Kane, given he is just coming off an entry level contract, he really doesn't have much say in this contract negotiation. Of course he can reject any offer he wants, but he doesn't have any bargaining power in the form of arbitration or anything like that. Basically what the Winnipeg Jets offer him he either has to play for or sit, pick one.

With that being said, of course management will be fair, it would be idiotic to not be fair to your players and especially one that scored 30 goals.
Unless someone gives him an offer sheet.
But I don't know how likely that is too happen.
Besides, I am sure we would match anything that is remotely reasonable.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:32 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:

Any truth to this?
Would not surprise me if he didnt want to resign here and im sure Vancouver would be at the top of his list thats for sure. We just gotta wait and see how this plays out

Old
04-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

maybe i miss heard in the interview I was watching/listening too, but I was pretty sure one of the interviewers asked if he'd have interest in a longer contract here and I his response was along the lines of "yah but i'll let my agent do that".

Now, considering whats been said about him, you'd think the press would have jumped on that and drummed up 'He wants to stay!' articles so I could very well be off.

Regardless of that, I would be 99% certain that the talk on the Vancouver board is simply old news mixed with fan whimsy snowballing in the great echo chamber of wishful thinking that is online message boards.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:36 PM
sully1410
#BandOfBeavers

vCash: 72
He's not going anywhere.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Wpgpage

From the main board

Antropov for Connolly + Lombardi + Holzer

Saves the leafs 4.25M in cap space only costs the Jets 2.75M more in real dollars, for doing this service to the Leafs the Jets get a big young Right handed Dman who could be paired with Stuart. Both are UFA's at seasons end they could be moved at the deadline for future pieces.

Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Burmi-Lombardi
Cormier?-Connolly-Mach9
Glass-Slater-Thor

Connolly plays the 2nd shut down role and is a good C to pair with Cormier while he is learning the ropes in the league. Hes also a RH shot which helps, can hopefully move him for a pick if you figure you don't need him. Lombardi replaces Welly on the sheltered line, hopefully he has an OK season and regains some value you can deal him at the deadline.

Overall a bit of a different move, could work out well for the Jets.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I'm kind of interested in the notion that Chevy would be open to trading away the pick to acquire one of the assets we need in the short term.

I thought that was cool.

Now for a what if question. The last thing the Oilers need is another first round pick. What they need is a goalie, top pairing defensemen and some guys to fill out the third and fourth line.

If the Oilers wanted pavelec for their first, or for one of their main three(nuge, hall, and eberle), would you do it?

I don't think I would. As much as we need some help out front, and any one of those guys would do it, I personally believe that the basis for a great team starts between the two pipes.
Why is this even a question?

Old
04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Why is this even a question?
Yeah that is a no brainer you can replace Pavs

Old
04-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Jet
Tony P-ver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post

I thought that was cool.

You I think have to do this deal. I love Pavelec, but goaltending is really an inexact science and I think getting a young (potential) superstar is something you have to seriously consider.

I see the Oilers drafting Yakupov, and trading Hall. I think they trade for a defenseman. As the Jets showed this year, having a fantastic goalie can only help you so much if your defense is porous.

04-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Huffer

I know I might be on the Colin Wilson train, but I think he is a healthy scratch tonight in game 1.

I think that is relevant to a discussion as to his availability.

Tootoo as well looks to be a healthy scratch.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Huffer

Quote:
From the main board

Saves the leafs 4.25M in cap space only costs the Jets 2.75M more in real dollars, for doing this service to the Leafs the Jets get a big young Right handed Dman who could be paired with Stuart. Both are UFA's at seasons end they could be moved at the deadline for future pieces.

Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Burmi-Lombardi
Cormier?-Connolly-Mach9
Glass-Slater-Thor

Connolly plays the 2nd shut down role and is a good C to pair with Cormier while he is learning the ropes in the league. Hes also a RH shot which helps, can hopefully move him for a pick if you figure you don't need him. Lombardi replaces Welly on the sheltered line, hopefully he has an OK season and regains some value you can deal him at the deadline.

I like Antropov, but your basically replacing 1 year of him for 1 year of both Connolly and Lombardi, and getting Holzer as the cookie.

Without knowing too much about Holzer, it seems like a pretty good deal.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:49 PM
teucer

Quote:
From the main board

Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Burmi-Lombardi
Cormier?-Connolly-Mach9
Glass-Slater-Thor

Doubt that would happen. Antropov got outcasted pretty quickly when Brian Burke moved in for his rebuild. But I'd like to see Antropov moved. Unless of course he takes a huge pay cut.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:06 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 156
Vancouver fans can speculate all they want that Kane wants to play there. In turn, we'll bug Chicago fans that Toews, Sharp and Keith want to play for the Jets If only that was how it worked.

Closed Thread