HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
What do you think of Enstrom to NJ for Zajac (plus a pick or another player). The Devils are doing well without Travis and I think Enstrom is exactly the type of dman they like. We would get a very good centre out of this deal. Thoughts?
The more I see from Enstrom the more I am open to the idea of trading him. I'm not seeing the elite defenseman that we were promised in the off season. He's a decent point producer but isn't good enough in his own end and is a little too mistake prone to be called 'elite'.

I think he would be sought after around the league, and I think we have too many of the same type of player on the back end. If we could re sign Oduya I would be intrigued at a Zajac for Enstrom deal. We need to get bigger up the middle and Zajac would really help with that.

I was expecting to see Enstrom start to take games by the berries and really quarterback the offense from our zone, rush the puck, and run the PP. He hasn't been bad, and I still very much like him, but if it's between him and a big centre who is defensively sound and can score 60 pts a year, then I'm taking the latter.

02-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Nice try.
Crosby, in his first few seasons, was well known as a whiner, and a diver (Which is exactly why you say you don't want Ribiero). Ovechkin and Cormier are dirty players, who many say have "no respect for their opponents). Ovechkin also seems to dive often. Bogosian was known in his first three seasons as a whiner, and completely shut out his coach. He refused to listen to any degree of mentorship. Stubborn, egotistical kid.

Just making a point. A very good point. With the amount of money fans have already committed to this team's first three seasons, management owes it to them to ice the best team possible.

I've also made the decision that I will no longer get involved in this fanbase's constant attempts to dump Enstrom. The way people talk about Enstrom is identical to the way some Leafs fans used to talk about Sundin, how some Canucks fans talk about the Sedins, how some Oilers fans think Hall is expendable, etc.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:47 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarSugar View Post
There was a similar post like that on the trade board pretty recently.

I like the core of it a lot, though NJ would have to add with various tweaks on both sides. But I think I was the only Jets fan really who did.
Keep in mind that Zajac has been injured pretty much all year, that in itself is huge risk initself. How is he going to perform when he gets back? He is a year from UFA and may need all of next year to get back into the swing of things. We have seen first hand with Fehr this year that coming back from major injuries/surgery doesn't always turn out great, so I would personally pass on this purposal even though I like Zajac as a player when he is healthy. If I trade Enstrom (and I'm not sure I want to) it would be for much more of a sure bet.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Keep in mind that Zajac has been injured pretty much all year, that in itself is huge risk initself. How is he going to perform when he gets back? He is a year from UFA and may need all of next year to get back into the swing of things. We have seen first hand with Fehr this year that coming back from major injuries/surgery doesn't always turn out great, so I would personally pass on this purposal even though I like Zajac as a player when he is healthy. If I trade Enstrom (and I'm not sure I want to) it would be for much more of a sure bet.
All true, and I appreciate why other people aren't keen on it. Perhaps I'm just extra high on Zajac despite the injury issue. Also FWIW I don't WANT to trade Enstrom so much as -- I find I have more fun tossing him around in imaginary trade ideas than any other player on the team.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
I've also made the decision that I will no longer get involved in this fanbase's constant attempts to dump Enstrom. The way people talk about Enstrom is identical to the way some Leafs fans used to talk about Sundin, how some Canucks fans talk about the Sedins, how some Oilers fans think Hall is expendable, etc.
And conversely, I've decided that I will no longer get involved with "this fanbase's" constant attempt to pump Enstrom's tires, gloss over every single mistake he makes, and refuse to acknowledge that being a peewee-sized defenseman is in fact a shortcoming. Furthermore, I'll no longer acknowledge the dismissive, often surly, reactions to the mere suggestion that he could net us some much needed help up front, and that his trade value will probably never be higher than it is right now.

Deal?

Old
02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Wpgpage

I don't really want to move Toby ether but if they offered Zajac, Urbom, 2nd you would have to at least consider it.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
IMHO (I'm not a doctor) an achilles injury is something you 100% come back from. Zajac is going to have to get the strength back in his leg and get his conditioning back on track.

Eric Fehr's injury is much more serious. It stays fragile, affects his ability to take contact and may never properly heal.

If I'm not mistaken, Enstrom is a UFA after next year as well?

Still think it addresses a need for this team. I'm not going to continually suggest trading Enstrom as I like the guy, the thing is he is our best shot at securing the type of player we need that fits into our corps, and Zajac IMO is a guy that does.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:16 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
And conversely, I've decided that I will no longer get involved with "this fanbase's" constant attempt to pump Enstrom's tires, gloss over every single mistake he makes, and refuse to acknowledge that being a peewee-sized defenseman is in fact a shortcoming. Furthermore, I'll no longer
acknowledge the dismissive, often surly, reactions to the mere suggestion that he could net us some much needed help up front, and that his trade value will
probably never be higher than it is right now.

Deal?
Deal. Wait...

This has nothing to do with me.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
And conversely, I've decided that I will no longer get involved with "this fanbase's" constant attempt to pump Enstrom's tires, gloss over every single mistake he makes, and refuse to acknowledge that being a peewee-sized defenseman is in fact a shortcoming. Furthermore, I'll no longer acknowledge the dismissive, often surly, reactions to the mere suggestion that he could net us some much needed help up front, and that his trade value will probably never be higher than it is right now.

Deal?
Bravo!

I was someone who, at the beginning of the year, railed at the mere suggestion of trading Enstrom. That is because from what I heard he was our best defenseman, a dandy, and was 'top 10 in the league'.

It is very evident that this season Toby has not been that. He has had his moments but there hasn't been once that I thought 'Enstrom had a dominant game', or even 'What a nice rush by Enstrom' or 'he really QB'ed that PP nicely'.

I didn't want to even think about trading Toby earlier this year because I wanted to see the player we had. I don't know why the Enstrom ATL fans love hasn't appeared this year, but I DO know with the emergence of Bogosian, it's easier than ever to wrap my head around the FACT that Enstrom is a high value asset that may make this team better in a trade.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Regardless of your opinions on his play in each individual game, there's no secret that this team only has three capable healthy defensemen at the moment, and we have no timeframe for Bogosian's return (Do we even know what's wrong with him yet?). We can't afford to give up any of them if we want any shot at the playoffs. Scoring is a problem, but not nearly the problem that goals against have been.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:33 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
i wonder what montreal would want for max p

Old
02-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Regardless of your opinions on his play in each individual game, there's no secret that this team only has three capable healthy defensemen at the moment, and we have no timeframe for Bogosian's return (Do we even know what's wrong with him yet?). We can't afford to give up any of them if we want any shot at the playoffs. Scoring is a problem, but not nearly the problem that goals against have been.
That's the point. It's not 'each individual game'. It's his body of work over the entire year.

I'd also like to hear who your 3 capable healthy defensemen are?

Old
02-22-2012, 10:52 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I read an interview where Chevy hasn't made a single offer to any of the players that are pending this year. I find this a bit baffling, although I guess he's busy with the trade deadline. The interview stated he's going to make offers after the trade deadline. Why wouldn't he put out feeler offers before then? This way he has an idea of who wants to stay for what. Ship out anyone that isn't being reasonable. Does that make sense to you?
My guess is Chevy has thrown out a few low level feelers with the Jets UFA, and has an idea who we wants back and at what price, and who else may be available on the market place. We have developed an attachment to some of these players, but they are not a rare comodity out there. Also Chevy likely has an idea who he thinks may be ready to make the jump from St. Johns next year and they will take roster positions.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
That's the point. It's not 'each individual game'. It's his body of work over the entire year.

I'd also like to hear who your 3 capable healthy defensemen are?
Enstrom, Hainsey and Stuart. Oduya is still terrible, and Jones is the worst defenseman I've ever watched...which is pretty bad, considering that I watched Jaroslav Modry for an entire season.

Enstrom has been just fine. It certainly hasn't been his best season, but he's still been the best defenseman for the team this year. I think he should have been given more time off for his injury, because he seems to be playing a lot more conservative since coming back from that than he has in past years.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:57 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
IMHO (I'm not a doctor) an achilles injury is something you 100% come back from. Zajac is going to have to get the strength back in his leg and get his conditioning back on track.

Eric Fehr's injury is much more serious. It stays fragile, affects his ability to take contact and may never properly heal.

If I'm not mistaken, Enstrom is a UFA after next year as well?

Still think it addresses a need for this team. I'm not going to continually suggest trading Enstrom as I like the guy, the thing is he is our best shot at securing the type of player we need that fits into our corps, and Zajac IMO is a guy that does.
I would agree that a healthy Zajac fits exceptionally well but I would want to see him come back and play well for a while before I pull the trigger on a deal for him. As it stands right now I don't trade what is probably our best trading chip for someone who may or may not be able to contribute to their fullest. I would deal Hainsy for Zajac but not Enstrom at this point in time.

Now if I'm trading Enstrom I'm packaging him up with a b prospect or 2nd rounder for a young up and coming first line center. An Avalanche fan threw out a Duchene for Enstrom + deal. That is something that I could get onbaord with as a guy like Duchene fits the age and style of the team really well. Not saying Colorado considers trading him, but its not out of the realm of possibility since they already have a pretty good one two puch with Statsney and O'Rielly.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:05 PM
PaperRockChamp

I gave Enstrom a shot because of the praise from Atlantoniarians. Now when I watch a game i'm not comfortable when I see the puck carried/handled by the guy with the yellow on his pants.

He can go. Or he could stay but he could also go.

It would be great to use him in a piece to get that forward we need. Judging by some people's appraisal of him as the best dman ever or at least a top 10 in the league, Chevy could just pick up the phone and choose which 30goal, 80pt forward to swap him for.

All BS aside, It is very difficult to put together three pairings that look good on paper without Enstrom (who would play beside Byfug?).

Old
02-22-2012, 11:19 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
All BS aside, It is very difficult to put together three pairings that look good on paper without Enstrom (who would play beside Byfug?).
No one, because Byfuglien would cost our team nearly every game.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:24 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
What do you think of Enstrom to NJ for Zajac (plus a pick or another player). The Devils are doing well without Travis and I think Enstrom is exactly the type of dman they like. We would get a very good centre out of this deal. Thoughts?
Hell no. They can have Byfuglien.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:34 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
I would agree that a healthy Zajac fits exceptionally well but I would want to see him come back and play well for a while before I pull the trigger on a deal for him. As it stands right now I don't trade what is probably our best trading chip for someone who may or may not be able to contribute to their fullest. I would deal Hainsy for Zajac but not Enstrom at this point in time.

Now if I'm trading Enstrom I'm packaging him up with a b prospect or 2nd rounder for a young up and coming first line center. An Avalanche fan threw out a Duchene for Enstrom + deal. That is something that I could get onbaord with as a guy like Duchene fits the age and style of the team really well. Not saying Colorado considers trading him, but its not out of the realm of possibility since they already have a pretty good one two puch with Statsney and O'Rielly.
I would trade Enstrom for Duchene in a second. The question is how much we would have to add. If you went around the league looking for a better fit for the Jets and their young core you would be hard pressed to find anyone better than Duchene.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:40 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Really? Whipping boy?

Michael Ryder is currently leading the Stars in goals
with twenty three, third in pts with 42 and has a +/- of 11.

The guy is a worker. He blocks shots, completes checks, won a Stanley Cup with the Bruins...but he relies on his line mates?

Don't think so.

Is he what this team needs? Maybe, maybe not. But I would definitely say that he is not at all streaky and is a great player.
Not streaky? Really? Are you serious or just thinking of some other player. I watched over 200 of Ryder's games in a Bruins jersey. He is very streaky. At times he can also be inconsistent with his effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I think you're being a bit harsh. I know he was a whipping boy in Boston, but that was mostly because his salary of 4mil, and fans wanting him to be a power forward. A lot was expected from him at that salary and he never lived up to it. You're correct that he was a streaky player (good year, bad year, good year...), but he was a really good when the playoffs came along. Currently he's making 3.5mil, which is not a lot of money when you see what other FA's have been and will be getting July 1st. He's having a good year playing in Dallas's top 6. He was inconsistent in Boston, but when the time came, he was an integral part of their championship. He was well liked in the locker room. He's signed for 1 more year and based on his career production, he's due for a down year. BTW I'm not a Ryder fan boy, but I can respect what he brings.
I was a bit harsh in not pointing out Ryder's good points. With the right linemates Ryder can produce like a 5M+ player, without question. He is right now. His hands and shot mean he can always contribute on PP and when the playoffs roll around he raises his level of play in every facet of the game.

On the right team, in the right role, Ryder is a very useful and valuable player.

However, if people complain about Andrew Ladd I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Ryder would be whipping boy. He can't PK, and he wouldn't be riding shotgun with guys like Ribeiro and Eriksson anymore. Even worse, one of our most creative players, Wheeler, was tried with Ryder several times in Boston and produced little.

Until the playoffs, Ryder is a player that rarely contributes anything outside of goals. In the right situation is a 30+ goal guy. On the Jets, as they are currently composed, he's a 15-20 goal guy.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:43 PM
blues10

Quote:
That would be a great trade.

Enstrom for any help down the middle, with some size, under 28 and some scoring punch is what we need.

He is probably the asset that we can most afford to get rid of and he should fetch something good in return. His value will go down next season as he is set to become a UFA. Enstrom for a top 6 forward is the deal that I hope Chevy pulls off.

The Rangers were said to be interested in a player like Enstrom but that was last month.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

It's nice to talk about and see some of the possibilities but how many of you actually think Enstrom will be dealt?

Personally I do not believe he will.

Old
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

I can't believe you guys think Enstrom isn't that good. Do you guys watch any other hockey? Do you think d-man with his hockey IQ are common? Enstrom would get a lot on the trade market.

Goligoski returned a 23 year old, 3 time 20 goal scorer, and a starting defenceman.

Old
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I would trade Enstrom for Duchene in a second. The question is how much we would have to add. If you went around the league looking for a better fit for the Jets and their young core you would be hard pressed to find anyone better than Duchene.
Duchene is awesome. I would think we would be adding a lot. If there is a team with a recent history of poor trades it is the Avs so perhaps Chevy should be working the phone.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
I can't believe you guys think Enstrom isn't that good. Do you guys watch any other hockey? Do you think d-man with his hockey IQ are common? Enstrom would get a lot on the trade market.

Goligoski returned a 23 year old, 3 time 20 goal scorer, and a starting defenceman.
1. Most of us believe he's our best trade chip.

2. Not all of us believe we should trade him.

3. We're discussing hypotheticals

Closed Thread