HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playing whilst injured

Old
02-25-2012, 11:40 PM
IzzyDiggler

vCash: 500
Playing whilst injured

I'm from the UK but have been a Pens fan for 20+ years. I'm also a huge football (soccer) fan and seeing the totally different attitudes between the sports is very interesting.

In soccer players will miss weeks because of the likes of muscle strains and the clubs are very candid about the injuries generally players won't play unless they are close to 100% fit.

It's in stark contrast to hockey, with it's 'play through the pain' attitude and 'covering' injuries to avoid the targeting of specific areas.

Anyway, I can understand playing through the pain barrier in the playoffs but why don't players wait until they are fully healed before playing in the regular season? Every time I see a player come back early, they're generally below-par - surely it's better to have (say) 5 games out and be fully fit to play.

Interested to see what people think.

IzzyDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:03 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
It comes down to a few things...

1) it's the mentality built with hockey players. We love our teammates and will sacrifice anything to win with them. That's why you see people stitched up and back out when they take a puck to the face. It's just built into the brain of anyone passionate about the game. The old motto used to be blood, sweat, and hockey. The pain and blood you wear gives the team energy and faith that everyone is going to sacrifice for the better of the group.

2) it's a lifestyle. 3rd and 4th liners rarely even say they have an injury they can play with because they don't want to be replaced.

Hockey players and fans are just different. Always will be. The love for the game is greater than any pain you feel.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Sheros Heroes

I'm sure the senor members of the board will have more elegant points than me.

but here is my 2 cents..

We have all seen the funny/hilarious/embarrassing flops soccer players take. I can appreciate some "gamesmanship" but dang just look at some of the dives these dudes take. I'll admit I don't follow soccer(other than WC and Olympics very slightly), so I don't know about any epic stories of guys coming back from serious injuries in a playoff or championship game. But the general consensus of nearly every North American sports fan/player is that soccer players are pansies, wussies, etc.

I could only imagine what a highly skilled soccer player would do about a stick hitting their wrists, or being flung into a wall by a dude going full speed on skates. That's not a fair comparison, sure. But a hockey player wouldn't even stop if they got spiked from behind or kicked in the shin during a soccer match.

I don't think it can be simply attributed to hockey players needing to "fight" to keep their jobs. Because aren't their young soccer players, around the world, who are fighting for jobs as well? Those leagues pay a lot of money.

I guess IMO, it is simply attitude. In sports like hockey and football you can't show any weakness physically at all. This isn't exactly taught in youth leagues but it is evident.

~quick edit~ last paragraph I mean american football, that is probably clear but it could have been confusing considering soccer talk.

Last edited by Sheros Heroes: 02-26-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: explanation that most likely wasn't needed
Sheros Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:47 AM
TheSniper26
Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyDiggler View Post
I'm from the UK but have been a Pens fan for 20+ years. I'm also a huge football (soccer) fan and seeing the totally different attitudes between the sports is very interesting.

In soccer players will miss weeks because of the likes of muscle strains and the clubs are very candid about the injuries generally players won't play unless they are close to 100% fit.

It's in stark contrast to hockey, with it's 'play through the pain' attitude and 'covering' injuries to avoid the targeting of specific areas.

Anyway, I can understand playing through the pain barrier in the playoffs but why don't players wait until they are fully healed before playing in the regular season? Every time I see a player come back early, they're generally below-par - surely it's better to have (say) 5 games out and be fully fit to play.

Interested to see what people think.
Keep in mind the schedule differences. In football, missing a few weeks means missing 3 or 4 matches(give or take counting tournament matches). In hockey, missing a few weeks could mean missing 10 or 11 games. Now, I understand that from a percentage of schedule standpoint, those two scenarios have a similar impact. But from the perspective of a guy fighting for a roster spot, a lot can change in 10 or 11 games. Nobody wants to be the guy forfeiting his spot in the lineup because he didn't play through a sore shoulder or tweaked knee while another guy impresses the coaches.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Jacob

Soccer players are just pusses.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

As someone who loves both soccer and hockey, one thing people rarely bring up is the difference in game length, and the fact that most soccer players will play the entire game without coming out. A minor leg injury will matter a lot more when you're expected to run for a full 90 minutes or more if the game goes to OT, than when you're expected to skate for a minute or so for a total of 20-some minutes a game. A muscle strain becomes a very different injury 90 minutes later, especially when you've been getting clipped every other play with basically zero padding compared to a hockey player.

I'd never argue that soccer players are tougher than hockey players. It's not even close. But for ****'s sake it's like a punch in the face every time some retard waltzes in and spouts some ******** about soccer players being *******. Hockey players should be considered the exceptions, not the rule for 'toughness'.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:25 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Yea, they wanna be there to help the guys. It's part of what makes hockey so great. Guys willing to sacrifice for the guy next to him. Most if not all pros are like that cuz they do it their entire hockey life and it doesn't matter what country they come from.

Although i will say it's a little easier to get by in ice hockey cuz well, theres ice. ie. you can glide instead of run.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote