HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: 2012 Alternate Universe

View Poll Results: Looking back, which package do you take?
Schneider + Matteau 29 85.29%
Vasilevsky + Nichushkin/Domi 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2016, 02:29 PM
LetsGoDevils

vCash: 500
Poll: 2012 Alternate Universe

Was thinking about this the other day, and curious what you all think. I believe that if the chips had fallen the way Lou had hoped in 2012, we would be looking at Vasilevsky in net, plus one of Nichushkin/Domi/Horvat in our forward lineup.

Hindsight being 20/20, I think I still take Cory + Stefan based on the way Cory has played, coupled with the fact that he was willing to sign long term. Curious to see if you all agree, as I think it's important to consider based on some of the heat Matteau gets.

LetsGoDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Bologna 1

That's a pretty tough one. Schneider is definitely the best player out of all by far, but Vasilevskiy is becoming a stud and domi/nichushkin should be legit too. then you have matteau, who is by far the least valuable of all those. ask me at the end of this season. if they somehow squeak in the playoffs, I say option 1. if they don't, I say option 2.

Bologna 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Devils Dominion
The Core #35

This won't go over well as a popular thread from the masses who are feverishly against 2nd guessing Lou or Conte.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

I think that considering how clearly we are a team that is still a ways off from competing for the cup, I would have taken Vasilevsky and one of the others. I love Schneider, and I hope he can remain an elite goaltender for us for another 6+ years, but Vasilevsky was pretty much a sure thing then, and remains so now. He may never be at Schneider's level, but he will certainly be at least an above average starter for a long, long time. The difference between Matteau and one of the better forwards and the significant age difference between the goalies would be enough for me to take the downgrade in goaltending for now.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 03:48 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
This won't go over well as a popular thread from the masses who are feverishly against 2nd guessing Lou or Conte.
To this day still think it was a colossal display of hubris not to forfeit the pick when we were sitting at #29. No, it does not make a difference to me the league gave us the 30th pick a couple seasons later. So despite being a huge Lou fan, do not entirely drink the Kool-Aid.

Voted for Schneider because goaltenders are so impossibly hard to project and we pretty much went from one of the best in the NHL to another one of the best in the NHL. Obviously we are lacking at forward, but think that hole is relatively easier to plug than the one in between the nets.

Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 04:06 PM
LetsGoDevils

Quote:
I don't necessarily view it as 2nd guessing Lou and Conte. I think they took a calculated risk, and unfortunately this time it didn't pan out. Possibly a bit of hubris as another poster suggested, but all in all have to imagine they felt that even if Vas didn't drop, you'd still end up with a solid player out of the first round. Unfortunately Matteau hasn't supported that statement thus far.

LetsGoDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 04:26 PM
GeNeXt

Would of been awesome if we sacrificed the 2012 pick, traded for Schneider and drafted Larkin in 2014... but can't see the future.

Maybe could of argued for some form of compensation for the pick we exhausted, got a supplemental 2nd or 3rd in 2014.

GeNeXt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means one

Schneider and Matteau.

Weren't we supposedly not picking Nichushkin or Domi anyway?

For some reason I think we might have taken Subban in 2012 instead of Vasilevskiy.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Payce
Marchand Dive School

Schneider all the way.

Payce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 04:47 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payce View Post
Schneider all the way.
Just Schneider? No love for Matteau?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Devils Dominion
The Core #35

Should have NEVER held onto the 29th overall pick in a well-known weak draft.
Lou also did not know that the league would eventually give us a 1st round pick back due to the new owners fixing the financial straights VBK created.
Nothing else to say about that.

At the time, I was not thrilled with the Cory trade.
But, I've changed my mind.
It's been a fantastic deal for NJD.

Last edited by Devils Dominion: 01-28-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 05:16 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Dude nobody's AGAINST second-guessing Lou/Conte (well other than the handful of posters that give them a pass on everything based on VBK's financial issues) but really don't you think at this point it's a bit overkill considering both are long gone? Especially when they get ragged for random third-round choices.

And yes they should have given back #29 in 2012, that's been discussed ad nauseum and probably 98% of people feel they should have given back the pick but it's over and done with now and there's really little point of continuously bringing it up considering most people agree it was a bad call and they were fortunate to get a first-rounder back.

It's an interesting and somewhat creative hypothetical in this thread although clearly not a possibility since Vasilevsky got taken way before us though I'm sure most people here would pick the two younger assets (Vasilevsky/Horvat) over Cory and Matteau right now. Two years from now we might be singing a different tune once we see what Vas/Horvat become and if Matteau ever becomes a player.

Last edited by NJDevs26: 01-28-2016 at 05:25 PM.
NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 05:30 PM
MadDevil

I'd take Schneider over Vasilevsky. Vasilevsky may one day be a great goalie, but Cory's consistency is hugely important for a team like the Devils. Obviously Domi/Horvat are better than Matteau, but I'm not sure they're that much better that I would take Vasilevsky + Domi/Horvat over Schneider + Matteau. So I'm going with Schneider + Matteau.

MadDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2016, 08:24 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Hard to say right now. I think it all depends on how long Schneider can keep up this elite level play. It's been pointed out many times how little wear and tear he has given his age and skill level, but will that actually translate to have a longer prime? I'm inclined to believe so but there are a lot of variables that can put a stop to that, like heaven forbid an injury. If Schneider can really keep this up for a number of years I think we'll have acquired enough pieces up front by then, and have a solid defense core to really make some noise.

I'd keep Schneider (and Matteau I guess ) just because of what an awesome personality he has on top of being a top 5 (I'd argue top 3) goalie.

Cheddabombs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
This is beyond a no brainer. Schneider.

Vasilevsky is an interesting young goaltender, but hasn't proven anything in the NHL. Schneider is arguably the best goaltender in the NHL, and is probably poised to stay there for quite a while so long as injuries don't occur (but injuries could also derail Domi and Vasilevsky's career).

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2016, 01:51 PM
MadDog172430
Happy Retirement Sal

Schneider, no question about it.

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Setec Astronomy

Unless you believe the butterfly effect would apply, the decision to keep the 29th pick doesn't really have anything to do with the Schneider trade. That aside, you take Schneider every single time over the alternative. And this is coming from someone who thought that it was the equivalent of the Jets drafting Kyle Brady when it happened.

Setec Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2016, 02:00 PM
ForeverJerseyGirl

I'll keep my Cory god.

ForeverJerseyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2016, 02:25 PM
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Option B because without Schneider the Devs would have picked top 3 last year and top 3 again this year and probably top 5 next year. Instead, they will continue to not suck enough to get elite talent in the draft. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryForVezina View Post
Option B because without Schneider the Devs would have picked top 3 last year and top 3 again this year and probably top 5 next year. Instead, they will continue to not suck enough to get elite talent in the draft. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.
This is a pretty morbid way to root for a hockey team, but to each their own.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2016, 02:43 PM
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
This is a pretty morbid way to root for a hockey team, but to each their own.

Obviously I'm happier as a fan with Cory on the team right now than I would have been in Option B. But if we get stuck in mediocrity for the next 7 years and then Cory leaves/retires with no real shot at the Cup, it would be pretty damn ******. And we likely still wouldn't have much elite talent.

As long as Cory is a healthy Devil, this team will NEVER finish bottom 3. Now take a look at the key players on Cup winners over the past decade. That's my point.

CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2016, 02:52 PM
goonybird
AngryBirds

How about Schneider and Larkin after we forfeit the Matteau pick

goonybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Devils090