HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor Hall

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2017, 10:52 AM
big ape

vCash: 500
Taylor Hall

Just wondering if any Devil fans have any regrets on the trade. Being from Edmonton I know all there is to know about his game. Contract wise Oilers win the trade, but at 6 million Halls contract is also quite good. So let's leave money out of it. Looking for a honest evaluation on Hall , now that he has played a better part of the season with you.

Old
02-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Tundra

One of best passing wingers in the league not named Patrick Kane. Problem is that his game is too advanced for his limited teammates.

Old
02-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Baemon Severson

The Devils got one of the most talented offensive players in the league for a one dimensional player. I don't think anyone regrets the trade, no

Old
02-22-2017, 11:09 AM
NjDevsRR

Man should have 40 assists if his teammates could finish off his amazing setups.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:17 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
He's amazing. Zero regrets about the trade. Would do it over without hesitation.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:18 AM
AfroThunder396
Certified G

vCash: 1670
GREAT TRADE. It was a temporary setback in the purest way, trading the best defenseman on an already below-average defense resulted in us having expansion level defense, but I don't think there's a single person here who is dissatisfied with Hall as a player.

Guy is clearly a few levels above everyone else on the team and would have astronomical numbers if he was playing with equal line mates.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:18 AM
big ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
The Devils got one of the most talented offensive players in the league for a one dimensional player. I don't think anyone regrets the trade, no
Taylor was considered a very 1 dimensional player here. Although in his last year here , he started to play better defence. One of the things he was criticized for was holding on to the puck to long and turning It over , usually giving it up in very dangerous areas.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by big ape View Post
Taylor was considered a very 1 dimensional player here. Although in his last year here , he started to play better defence. One of the things he was criticized for was holding on to the puck to long and turning It over , usually giving it up in very dangerous areas.
He's done that on occasion because he will try to push the envelope.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

Hall > Larsson, all day.

Oilers fans are in continual PR mode about Larsson, and he's a good player, but Hall is far more of a team centerpiece. Unfortunately, some of our forwards have underperformed and we've got a trash heap defense corps, along with a somewhat down year in goal by Schneider.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Kurt Cobain

No regrets and Santini makes up for the loss of Adam.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
GREAT TRADE. It was a temporary setback in the purest way, trading the best defenseman on an already below-average defense resulted in us having expansion level defense, but I don't think there's a single person here who is dissatisfied with Hall as a player.

Guy is clearly a few levels above everyone else on the team and would have astronomical numbers if he was playing with equal line mates.
Don't know why I found that funny, but it's really true.

Will Las Vegas have a better defense next year?

Old
02-22-2017, 11:39 AM
johnny pierogi

I've been most impressed with his hockey IQ and deceptive quickness. He doesn't get his wheels churning as fast as some of the true speedsters in the league but he's a tremendous skater and covers a lot of ground with his strides. He's got a great shot but that's not even the best part of his game. His passing is his greatest asset.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:39 AM
big ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
Hall > Larsson, all day.

Oilers fans are in continual PR mode about Larsson, and he's a good player, but Hall is far more of a team centerpiece. Unfortunately, some of our forwards have underperformed and we've got a trash heap defense corps, along with a somewhat down year in goal by Schneider.
Well continual PR mode is a bit much. I think when the trade happened , there was a shock element that Edmonton lost the trade to a degree of extreme proportions. That was until we seen what Larsson was about. Not many knew he was as physical as he is.
Yeah no argument about team centerpiece, other than the fact that it isn't fair to compare a offensive player to defensive player if points are the determining factor. At any rate each team got what they lacked.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:43 AM
big ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny pierogi View Post
I've been most impressed with his hockey IQ and deceptive quickness. He doesn't get his wheels churning as fast as some of the true speedsters in the league but he's a tremendous skater and covers a lot of ground with his strides. He's got a great shot but that's not even the best part of his game. His passing is his greatest asset.
Yeah he is very good at finding the open man , agreed on his passing and offensive IQ. Defence not so much.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:43 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Well continual PR mode is a bit much. I think when the trade happened , there was a shock element that Edmonton lost the trade to a degree of extreme proportions. That was until we seen what Larsson was about. Not many knew he was as physical as he is.
Yeah no argument about team centerpiece, other than the fact that it isn't fair to compare a offensive player to defensive player if points are the determining factor. At any rate each team got what they lacked.
What surprises me about the trade is Edmonton's usage of Larsson.

I get that Larsson has been good, and I'm not surprised, but he's not being used a whole lot. Fourth among team defensemen in ice time. Also fourth in PK ice time, which really surprised me.

At some level, the less you use a player, the less valuable he becomes.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Tundra

Sounds like Larsson babysits for the more aggressive and less defensive minded Klefbom.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...ys-nhl-insider

Quote:
As Stauffer suggests, Larsson has been playing his best hockey in recent weeks. He’s been OK moving the puck and strong on defence, especially considering the quality of competition he faces and the fact he plays with the less experienced Oscar Klefbom, who is strong on the attack but mediocre, at best, on defence. A lot of trouble has come out of Klefbom’s zone and it’s been up to Larsson to be the cleaner, a job he’s done well especially as the season has progressed.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:52 AM
big ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
What surprises me about the trade is Edmonton's usage of Larsson.

I get that Larsson has been good, and I'm not surprised, but he's not being used a whole lot. Fourth among team defensemen in ice time. Also fourth in PK ice time, which really surprised me.

At some level, the less you use a player, the less valuable he becomes.
You couldn't say that at the beginning of the year, he led in that department. Larsson has been playing with some nagging injuries, and ice time has been shortened. He usually leads the team in hits every night also , but those stats have decreased due to the injuries also. Those numbers have started o climb in the last 2 games. So he might be getting back to himself.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Merrills Marauders

Quote:
You couldn't say that at the beginning of the year, he led in that department. Larsson has been playing with some nagging injuries, and ice time has been shortened. He usually leads the team in hits every night also , but those stats have decreased due to the injuries also. Those numbers have started o climb in the last 2 games. So he might be getting back to himself.
Or maybe not, because he's not playing tonight.

Old
02-22-2017, 12:09 PM
big ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrills Marauders View Post
Hmmm. Didn't see that ( been busy on the boards lol)Thanks. It hasn't been put out there by the Oilers, but most knowledgable fans knew something was up with his decline in the hitting department.

Old
02-22-2017, 12:14 PM
NJRockinRoller

I would like to see Hall named Captain this offseason. He is the player that is the centerpiece of the franchise and he needs to be placed in that role.

Old
02-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRockinRoller View Post
I would like to see Hall named Captain this offseason. He is the player that is the centerpiece of the franchise and he needs to be placed in that role.
While I get that sentiment, it does not take into account the dynamics of the room. You don't strip a popular, respected veteran of the captaincy; if Hall has any character, sure he would decline in such a situation.

Same deal when people here complained about Sal. It's a decision made for the locker room first, not the fans.

Old
02-22-2017, 12:26 PM
MadDog172430
Palm Trees

Would do the trade a million times over.

Old
02-22-2017, 12:29 PM
big ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrills Marauders View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog172430 View Post
Would do the trade a million times over.
Oilers more so.

Old
02-22-2017, 12:30 PM
big ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
While I get that sentiment, it does not take into account the dynamics of the room. You don't strip a popular, respected veteran of the captaincy; if Hall has any character, sure he would decline in such a situation.

Same deal when people here complained about Sal. It's a decision made for the locker room first, not the fans.
Hall would take it then n

Old
02-22-2017, 12:40 PM
MadDog172430
Palm Trees

Quote:
Oilers more so.
Wouldn't doubt it. This trade is the quintessential example of the perfect trade for both teams. While the Devils aren't showing that in the standings at this moment, it's still exactly what they needed.

Closed Thread