HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nash-ty Rumors Part IV: The Longest Week

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Nash-ty Rumors Part IV: The Longest Week

Carry on, if you must.

02-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Reijo R

vCash: 500
I'm sick over these rumors. Don't want the guy, period. I'd hate to see this org. take a cap hit like that. He's being paid like Crosby, and he's not nearly as good. Make this rumor go away please.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
He's going to be a Ranger.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
02-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Emptyvoid

Thought I'd start the thread with quoting Trxjw's fantastic post near the end of the last thread.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Yah, a lot of people have conveniently forgotten about Redden when stating that there are no cap issues. This team essentially has no summer overage for 2 more years. Over that period, you'll have to replace or resign McD, MDZ, Sauer, Stralman, Eminger, Bickel, Anisimov, Stepan, Haglein, Prust, Mitchell, Fedotenko and Biron.
You'd have to think there would be an amnesty buyout period once a new CBA is reached.

Truth be told, I'm not so worried about the cap implications. If Sather, Clarke and Gorton are ready to pull the trigger on Nash, then they have a plan in place. The mantra has been "stay the course" but as we've seen this year, the team appears to have found a shortcut along the way, and now we've found ourselves much closer to the "destination" than most thought we would be to start the year. If the organization sees Nash as an extra motor to get us to the promised land, then maybe jettisoning a couple assets isn't as tough to stomach for them as it is for us. A lot of us have an attachment to these players, the guys running the show are paid to not form attachments.

What really rubs me the wrong way is the fact that so many people write Nash off as a player, despite the fact that I'd wager that the majority of them saw Nash play for the first time all season on Sunday night. Nash is what we all hope Kreider could be. A huge body with a laser of a shot and great wheels. Nash has better instincts and softer hands, but Kreider has the edge in speed. Am I advocating including Kreider in a trade? Not at all, but I am saying that people need to appreciate just how special of a player Nash is. The outrage over trading top prospects or key roster players is understandable, but the criticisms over Nash's talent are ridiculous. I keep seeing "He's a 60 point player!" but none of those people seem to acknowledge that Nash has as many 40 goal seasons as Gaborik does. Gabby's career highs are 42,42,38. Nash's are 41,40,38. This guy is a top echelon talent.

Adding Nash, in the right deal of course, makes us a tremendous threat for The Cup. Not many teams can match up two defensive pairings against two lines with a 40 goal scorer on them. We'd have the offense, the defense, and the goaltending to make a run this year, as well as next year. Two legitimate shots at Lord Stanley is worth A LOT to a front office.

Great points all around, especially the end with getting two legitimate shots at the cup.

Last edited by Trxjw: 02-21-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Nested quotes for easier reading
Old
02-21-2012, 10:18 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
I'm the opposite. The more I look at it, the more I want Nash.

For everyone worrying about the kids down the line and the cap situation in 2-3 years and all that, don't complain when we're struggling to put pucks in the net or when our power play is piss poor in the playoffs. Nash answers both of those problems.
Im starting to feel this way myself. I really honestly believe if this trade gets done that Sather will only be sending Duby from the current roster and prospects not named Kreider. If its gonna cost more than that I dont think Sather makes the deal. Thats why i'm leaning towards wanting Nash. He obviously upgrades the offense and I think he's not that big of a negative defensively that it hurts this team.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I've always thought of Nash as a guy who can play both wings but is mostly on the left side.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:20 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
I'm sick over these rumors. Don't want the guy, period. I'd hate to see this org. take a cap hit like that. He's being paid like Crosby, and he's not nearly as good. Make this rumor go away please.
I don't see Crosby fit with current Rangers, Nash is more valuable to us. Hence it makes perfect sense for this rumor to become reality.

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik

That is very, very good, if not the best top 6.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:21 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
Im starting to feel this way myself. I really honestly believe if this trade gets done that Sather will only be sending Duby from the current roster and prospects not named Kreider. If its gonna cost more than that I dont think Sather makes the deal. Thats why i'm leaning towards wanting Nash. He obviously upgrades the offense and I think he's not that big of a negative defensively that it hurts this team.
Agreed on all fronts here. Dubi won't be missed at all if we get Nash.

Also, I feel like this is a good time to say this. And this is for all who are worrying about the cap situation years from now.

Many times on this board, people bring up the trades during the '94 run. How these trades were ultimately "bad", as they cost the team a couple of potential runs at the cup down the road.

My question is: do you want a cup, or a couple of potential runs down the road? How the hell people think those trades were bad is beyond me. We know those trades led to a cup. That's a fact. Thinking the players we traded away would have led to more chances is pure speculation.

We have no idea how Kreider will turn out, if Dubinsky will ever get up to his offensive potential, etc. We do know Nash is a bonafide elite power forward. We do know Richards is signed until his retirement and needs a scoring winger. We do know we have the best goalie in the league in the prime of his career.

Adding Nash to this team, IMO, makes us the favorites to win the cup, bar none. Screw potential runs in 3 years, for the next 2, we are top favorites to win it. I could give a crap if Kreider turns into a good player or if we need to get rid of AA in 2 years if we win a cup (or 2) in the next few years.

People need to be realistic. If you can get an elite player to help you win a cup for the next 2 years, you ****ing do it. You do it everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:22 AM
NYRangers16

In the last thread someone said Nash fixes our PP issues but this was said about Richards too. Reality is our PP system is messed up, not the players. It's way too methodical an predictable. The guys just stand in place and expect seams to open up. We need more movement, more quick plays, and less standing around thinking/watching...it's painful to watch and totally ineffective. No player will fix this..not BR, not Nash. Torts needs to get guys moving and the players need to make quick plays...our PP would be fine as it is if we did this. And our offense would be fine too because of the extra PP goals.

Old
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I don't see Crosby fit with current Rangers, Nash is more valuable to us. Hence it makes perfect sense for this rumor to become reality.
Nash is 10x's more valuable at this point considering it doesnt seem like Crosby can stay healthy for more than a few games before missing half a season

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He's going to be a Ranger.
Not unless Sather gives up one of his current top 4 defensemen. And he wont.

Could you imagine how embarassing it would be for Columbus if the centerpiece roster player in a deal for Rick Nash was Brandon Dubinsky and his 6 goals?

Old
Tawnos

Only 250 posts in 14 hours overnight? You guys are slacking!

The longest week is right

Old
02-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

I am not sold on the idea, but it is a little amusing that the Rangers have a chance to amass 3 franchise forwards in 3 years and potentially put them all on a line together.

Video-game esque.

I think if the Rangers trade a Dubi, Kreider, 1st, McIlrath package for Nash your lines end up...

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Mitchell-Fedotenko

Still leaves our roster with holes but the top 6 scoring is upgraded.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:23 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Agreed ...it's stupid, and too many fans here are salivating over him as a player and not realising how bad of a move it would be...

Old
02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote from Melrose Jr:
That's a pretty poor argument.

The environment in the NHL is nothing like the environment that existed as many as 5 years before the last lockout. IMO, the likelihood of a work stoppage is so remote that it's foolish make it the foundation of case that throws caution to the wind in terms of fiscal responsibility.

And what I posted was my opinion....you know many of us old enough to remember the 94 lockout said the exact same things as you posted above.

An Original 6 team in the worlds largest media market had just won the Cup ending a 54 year drought after a very exciting 7 game ECF and an almost equally exciting 7 game SCF, the Rangers were all over the airwaves and we all said no way the owners screw up this public relations coup they were handed with hockey now on the National radar...we all know how that turned out.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Carry on, if you must.
Haha...whether or not he comes here, I think there should be a five-day hiatus on any threads concerning Nash. Geesh.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Only 250 posts in 14 hours overnight? You guys are slacking!

The longest week is right
Trade and fire everyone on this board!

Seriously though, I just want the deadline to be here already.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:29 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:

Also, I feel like this is a good time to say this. And this is for all who are worrying about the cap situation years from now.

Many times on this board, people bring up the trades during the '94 run. How these trades were ultimately "bad", as they cost the team a couple of potential runs at the cup down the road.

My question is: do you want a cup, or a couple of potential runs down the road? How the hell people think those trades were bad is beyond me. We know those trades led to a cup. That's a fact. Thinking the players we traded away would have led to more chances is pure speculation.

We have no idea how Kreider will turn out, if Dubinsky will ever get up to his offensive potential, etc. We do know Nash is a bonafide elite power forward. We do know Richards is signed until his retirement and needs a scoring winger. We do know we have the best goalie in the league in the prime of his career.

Adding Nash to this team, IMO, makes us the favorites to win the cup, bar none. Screw potential runs in 3 years, for the next 2, we are top favorites to win it. I could give a crap if Kreider turns into a good player or if we need to get rid of AA in 2 years if we win a cup (or 2) in the next few years.

People need to be realistic. If you can get an elite player to help you win a cup for the next 2 years, you ****ing do it. You do it everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
Getting Nash does not make any guarantees except for the fact he'll be cashing in checks of 7.8 mill per for the next 6 seasons.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:30 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I am not sold on the idea, but it is a little amusing that the Rangers have a chance to amass 3 franchise forwards in 3 years and potentially put them all on a line together.

Video-game esque.

I think if the Rangers trade a Dubi, Kreider, 1st, McIlrath package for Nash your lines end up...

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Mitchell-Fedotenko

Still leaves our roster with holes but the top 6 scoring is upgraded.
Exactly.

Video-game esque.

Except this isn't a video game and there's no guarantees Nash fits here or produces like his two best seasons.

If he comes here and plays like he's been in Columbus as just a 60 point player or so and we don't win a Cup, he'll be just another overpaid FA that this fanbase wants to get rid of.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
More like he's being paid like Gaborik, Iginla, Heatley, or Vanek. He's easily on the same level as those players in terms of talent. Columbus paid a premium for him to make him their "franchise talent" but have failed to assemble a competent team around him. Comparing his contract to Crosby's is pointless.

Old
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
So many hearts will be broken if Nash doesn't become a Ranger. Conversely so many dreams will be fulfilled if Kreider stays with the Rangers. I cannot wait to get on these boards and see all the reactions if Nash is/is not traded here.

Old
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I'd still prefer to trade Anisimov over Dubinsky as much as it pains me to say it.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Nash is on a free agent sized contract but never actually hit free agency. I think that is what most here have a problem with who have an issue acquiring Nash.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Crease

Quote:

If you can guarantee that trading for Nash will get us a Cup in June, then I'll gladly wait another 54 years after. But the only thing you can guarantee is that Nash's contract gives the organization almost no cap flexibility for the next 3 years. IMO, it's not worth the potential headache.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:36 AM
nevesis

Everyone remember our can't miss, uber-amazing russian prospect Evgeny Grachev? (he even had the authentic name!)

A perfect example of an overrated prospect who never amounted (and most likely never will) to what he was projected to be.

Kreider is being treated around here like he is the next Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, or even a Seguin who just happens to want to WAIT around in college and not ready to plat at the NHL level yet.

If he is so highly touted, and can step into NHL level play and dominate like the players above, why isn't he being heavily persuaded to sign here NOW?

He's cheaper than Nash, and we wouldn't have to trade Dubinsky, or any prospects.

Kreider might be another enigma who was highly touted, but once at the NHL level, blends in with others and never makes a crushing impact on the game.

Or, he might not be.

My point is, if this is such a sure thing with him, organization would make sure he would be here playing.

True sick talent is known about in the NHL and talked about league wide. Is Kreider flying under everyone's radar?, or is he only an enigma to this organization and its fans?

Lot's of interesting questions here...

Closed Thread