HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash-ty Rumors Part IV: The Longest Week

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2012, 11:43 PM
  #851
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
The Rangers were dominated in 3 games against Pittsburgh. The 3-1 win we got dominated. I don't see a scenario where we beat Pittsburgh as is with or without Crosby. I don't know if Nash is the missing piece though.
maybe, maybe not. Nash would help.

To me though, while the thought of adding him to a first place team this year is without a doubt a huge reason why i want him, thr thought of this team going forward, with Nash, is what really excites me, esp if you can keep Kreider.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:45 PM
  #852
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,230
vCash: 500
Everyone read my post before jumping down my throat about what you believe I think about our chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
One of these...is not like the others...
Not necessarily. All 3 are great defensive teams, and all 3 teams are near the top of the Eastern Conference. All 3 teams have given us trouble in some way or another.

__________________
New York RKY is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:46 PM
  #853
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Im not saying any guarantees, but I think we can compete with anyone in a 7 game series. It will be tough like most series, but I believe we can.

You're overrating Nash's impact to a team. Do you honestly believe getting him somehow elevates this team to wherever you think they are now to a Cup?
If the Rangers play like they did tonight, making mistakes and horrible turnovers, it's not going to matter who they acquire at the deadline.

The problem in last year's playoffs wasn't just the failure to score, it was that they were making these rookie mistakes and crapping their pants at crucial moments in the game. That's why they gave away two OT games and blew a 3-0 lead in Game 4. Hopefully they learn from last year, and the addition of veterans such as Richards and Rupp should help, but there are still an awful lot of players with limited playoff experience and 5 players who have never even suited for a playoff game. I kind of get the vibe that even with Nash this team may not win the cup this season due to their inexperience.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
  #854
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I agree that we could be NJ but it would take 6 or 7 games because we've struggled with them pretty bad the last two games. Boston would be really tough. They've dominated us offensively the two games but thanks to Hank we were able to score on limited offensive chances. As presently constituted I don't think we can be PIT in a seven game series, with or without Crosby.



Again read about with the Boston comment. Can we beat them, I think we can but can Hank really play God all 7 games, and can we continue to convert on the few offensive chances we had? I really don't know. With your PIT statement saying if the Rangers can get their **** together do you mean create any offense I don't think they can honestly. The last two games against them we were trapped in the defensive zone for minutes on end and we created minimal offense.



I think the Rangers can compete with anyone in a 7 games series as well. Let me put it this way: as presently constituted the Rangers will only go as far as Hank takes them.

How exactly am I overrating Nash's impact on the team. Nash is a great offensive talent. And yes I honestly believe that getting Nash elevates our team to being closer contenders than we are now, especially if you only replace him with Dubinsky off our current roster. Nash will help the offense get more chances, as well as bury those chances when we get them. Something Dubinsky couldn't do since before the All Star Break last year.

Does getting Nash make us a Cup favorite? I have no idea. Does it make us a better team? There isn't a doubt in my mind it does.
Fleury is not going to shut us out again. You can book it. We've scored lots on him before, and we can do it again.

Side note: but Malkin has to be one of the biggest cherry pickers in the game. The puck is in the defensive zone, and he's waiting in the neutral zone. Yes, he scored, but if the Rangers generate any offensive pressure there, he would be getting castrated.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:48 PM
  #855
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 20,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Everyone read my post before jumping down my throat about what you believe I think about our chances.



Not necessarily. All 3 are great defensive teams, and all 3 teams are near the top of the Eastern Conference. All 3 teams have given us trouble in some way or another.
New Jersey isn't a great defensive team, unless you want to blame their goaltending, but they're one and the same. Pittsburgh isn't a great defensive team, but they had half their D out for a while. That said, if you don't count what essentially an empty netter by Stepan we scored 3 goals in the last 3 games played against Pittsburgh. We couldn't score against NJ last game, but their D and goaltending still doesn't scare me. We scored 3 in the first two games (minus the empty netter), not great but enough to win with Hank in net.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
  #856
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Fleury is not going to shut us out again. You can book it. We've scored lots on him before, and we can do it again.

Side note: but Malkin has to be one of the biggest cherry pickers in the game. The puck is in the defensive zone, and he's waiting in the neutral zone. Yes, he scored, but if the Rangers generate any offensive pressure there, he would be getting castrated.
he was in the zone, but jetted as soon as the puck become 50/50, it was a VERY smart player. Malkin is all world. Elite. A monster.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:50 PM
  #857
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Fleury is not going to shut us out again. You can book it. We've scored lots on him before, and we can do it again.

Side note: but Malkin has to be one of the biggest cherry pickets in the game. The puck is in the defensive zone, and he's waiting in the neutral zone. Yes, he scored, but if the Rangers generate any offensive pressure there, he would be getting castrated.
Right there is the caveat. And this post proves my point exactly why we need Nash. Fleury is nothing special as a goalie; and outside of Letang and Orpik their defense is meh. However with our pitiful offense we make both of these aspects of their team look like the Dyansty Canadiens. Add in another talented offensive player, a little bit better team defense (compared to tonight) and they look much more beatable.

New York RKY is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:51 PM
  #858
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
he was in the zone, but jetted as soon as the puck become 50/50, it was a VERY smart player. Malkin is all world. Elite. A monster.
Damn. I wish we could suck enough to draft in the top 5 for 5 straight years.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:53 PM
  #859
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,260
vCash: 500
I like Nash, but man that cap hit just sucks. Even if we got him for a steal the cap hit would still suck.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
  #860
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 20,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Damn. I wish we could suck enough to draft in the top 5 for 5 straight years.
Or we could have just drafted Giroux instead of the bust Sangs. Or we could have drafted Parise and a bunch of other players instead of Jessiman. There are ways of getting elite players without sucking.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:57 PM
  #861
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Or we could have just drafted Giroux instead of the bust Sangs. Or we could have drafted Parise and a bunch of other players instead of Jessiman. There are ways of getting elite players without sucking.
True. But Crosby+Malkin>Parise+Giroux.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:57 PM
  #862
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Or we could have just drafted Giroux instead of the bust Sangs. Or we could have drafted Parise and a bunch of other players instead of Jessiman. There are ways of getting elite players without sucking.
it's very./..very....very hard.

so much luck is involved. how many teams are kicking themselves for not drafting Henrik Lundqvist?

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:58 PM
  #863
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
True. But Crosby+Malkin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>Parise+Giroux.
Fixed

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 11:59 PM
  #864
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Fixed
Thanks

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:00 AM
  #865
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
If the Rangers play like they did tonight, making mistakes and horrible turnovers, it's not going to matter who they acquire at the deadline.

The problem in last year's playoffs wasn't just the failure to score, it was that they were making these rookie mistakes and crapping their pants at crucial moments in the game. That's why they gave away two OT games and blew a 3-0 lead in Game 4. Hopefully they learn from last year, and the addition of veterans such as Richards and Rupp should help, but there are still an awful lot of players with limited playoff experience and 5 players who have never even suited for a playoff game. I kind of get the vibe that even with Nash this team may not win the cup this season due to their inexperience.
Agreed.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:01 AM
  #866
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 20,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
True. But Crosby+Malkin>Parise+Giroux.
It's a lot closer when you throw in Lundqvist in there.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:01 AM
  #867
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Thanks
i mean seriously, those are pretty much the 2 best players in the NHL, on the same team.

and they play together on the PP

Malkin is awesome, and somehow they have a player even better just waiting to return during the playoffs to lead them to another cup *grumbles*

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:02 AM
  #868
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
We lose this game with Nash and make most of the same mistakes defensively so I don't see your point.
Ha, nevermind I see you edited it.

We are on the same page.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:03 AM
  #869
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
How exactly am I overrating Nash's impact on the team. Nash is a great offensive talent. And yes I honestly believe that getting Nash elevates our team to being closer contenders than we are now, especially if you only replace him with Dubinsky off our current roster. Nash will help the offense get more chances, as well as bury those chances when we get them. Something Dubinsky couldn't do since before the All Star Break last year.

Does getting Nash make us a Cup favorite? I have no idea. Does it make us a better team? There isn't a doubt in my mind it does.
Im not disagreeing with you that Nash would be an upgrade (obviously over Dubi), but my point is people are overrating his value in the fact he comes here and suddenly elevates this offense significantly. Between his cap hit, assets, and possible future cap implications, it's simply not worth it to trade for him.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:04 AM
  #870
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Ha, nevermind I see you edited it.

We are on the same page.
Yeah, misread what you said.

Was a quick edit.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:04 AM
  #871
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Ha, nevermind I see you edited it.

We are on the same page.
while i agree with you that Nash wouldnt have won this game for us tonight, i think it just underscores the need to get another impact player on this team who can control the game a-la Malkin. The Pens weren't nearly as powerful when he wasn't on the ice...but when he was on there, he just controlled the game like the other players werent even there.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:05 AM
  #872
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 20,343
vCash: 500
BTW, how many people thought that we finally caught a break when Pittsburgh lost the lottery to Washington? It's ridiculous, when this team loses it still wins. I doubt the Pens have their Cup without Malkin's Conn Smythe performance, even during Ovechkin's elite years. Now it's no question who the better player is. It's ridiculous.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:06 AM
  #873
JT Kreider
Registered User
 
JT Kreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Everyone read my post before jumping down my throat about what you believe I think about our chances.



Not necessarily. All 3 are great defensive teams, and all 3 teams are near the top of the Eastern Conference. All 3 teams have given us trouble in some way or another.
Hate to say it, but a team that has blown 13 3rd period leads and is on pace to break the record for most goals allowed while on the PP, doesn't belong in the same sentence/conversation/page as the Bruins and Penguins.

Two teams that have been to hell and back and have a Stanley Cup banner to show for it.

JT Kreider is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:11 AM
  #874
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
while i agree with you that Nash wouldnt have won this game for us tonight, i think it just underscores the need to get another impact player on this team who can control the game a-la Malkin. The Pens weren't nearly as powerful when he wasn't on the ice...but when he was on there, he just controlled the game like the other players werent even there.
I definitely agree, we could use another impact forward, although I don't think Nash would be able to dominate like Malkin. But not many can.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:13 AM
  #875
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
BTW, how many people thought that we finally caught a break when Pittsburgh lost the lottery to Washington? It's ridiculous, when this team loses it still wins. I doubt the Pens have their Cup without Malkin's Conn Smythe performance, even during Ovechkin's elite years. Now it's no question who the better player is. It's ridiculous.
I don't think they'd be complaining with Ovi playing like the the Ovi of old with Crosby in the middle. That's NHL 12 in real life.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.