HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How's Rene Bourque doing?

Old
02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
Just like others have said, he has been 'meh', sometimes you don't notice him, but for 3.3M that is fine. I think that the team will trade AK with how he has been used recently, and i think in a way Bourque is his replacement, play on the 3rd line and can set in a top 6 role if needed due to injury. Good thing tho is he plays on the top 2 units on the PK, so even tho he might not be producing some nights, atleast he contributes.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Bourque's been fine. He doesn't have any PP time and is playing just like a 3M player.

He's also way more physical than Cammy (and better defensively) which was needed.

Overall, I'm happy with the trade simply because Bourque has been more useful to the Habs than Cammy.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Flames fan here. I know you guys have been in a little turmoil in the past few games, but I was wondering how Bourque has done for you?
He hasn't looked very good imo, I wanted us to sign him back when watching him at Wisconsin, but he looks like he's going through the motions for the most part. When he was traded I thought I read something about him having off ice issues when he was with the flames that had to do with his disappointing season but not sure how accurate that is. Either way I really like the trade, would rather pay him 3.3M then Cammy 6M.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Habs

You notice him 1 out of every 5 games, just like Cammy.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:01 PM
DJ Breadman

If he has the puck on his stick he skates hard and fast, if the puck is in front of the net he'll go there, he will also toss the odd big hit. Other then that he does nothing, doesn't skate back hard, actually doesn't skate forward hard either(unless he has the puck). I'm not a huge fan of the guy but for the money we saved by getting rid of cammy i'm ok with it. If he gave the effort that cole did shift in shift out, he would be a way better player. I'm not sure why the effort isn't there must be nothing going on between his ears

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Would rather have the 3.3M$ of cap space and roster spot.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Flylotus

Let's remember that Cole has also taken some time to adjust to the system and his new linemates, but he definitely has found his marks even though fans were starting to question his value.

We cannot hope for a similar breakthrough, but I expect Bourque to get better with some time.

Flylotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Captain Saku

Bourque is our 3rd winger at the moment which he shouldn't. He should be 4th or 5th 'cause he can't be relied on to be the best winger on the 2nd line. He's been fine but could do better when gionta comes back.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:21 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

He's like Cammy except he doesn't hurt the team defensively when he's slumping and costs 3 mill less.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:06 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
I think he is doing just fine. He forechecks hard and gets in the passing lane as well as throws a few hits and gets to the net. Oh did I mention he scores the odd goal and presents a bigger body presence on the ice.
We need a few more of these.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:08 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing View Post
Love the guy, and don't want to sound too negative, but their line were on the ice for all 3 goals last game.
If anything, Bourque sure wasnt brought up to play a shutdown role...

big body asked to "dump and wait", it's a waiste.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

I expect Kostisyn to be moved because of him. Both players can command the game occasionally, but disappear for stretches at a time.

Ideally he'd be a top-third liner, but with our poor depth he'll likely play on a top-6 role.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:49 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
If anything, Bourque sure wasnt brought up to play a shutdown role...

big body asked to "dump and wait", it's a waiste.
It does seem strange that Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn were doing fine as the shut down line and then they decided to turn everyone into a shutdown line except Patches-DD-Cole. We should have a second offensive line. Put Bourque and Kostitsyn with Eller if you insist on using Plekanec as the shutdown guy.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:52 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
It does seem strange that Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn were doing fine as the shut down line and then they decided to turn everyone into a shutdown line except Patches-DD-Cole. We should have a second offensive line. Put Bourque and Kostitsyn with Eller if you insist on using Plekanec as the shutdown guy.
Yup, at some point the coach has to find a way to build a passable 2nd offensive line...

AK shown chemistry in the past with Eller and Plekanec, so he should play with one of them...

same with Bourque, the guy scored 27 in his last two seasons, someone has to think he could score a few for us...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

He plays with Plekanec and Darche. Ghosty at times. Physical at other times. Umm, opinion still in progress.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Would rather have the 3.3M$ of cap space and roster spot.
Can't stand players who sleep on the ice when a BIG goal is needed.

Bourque lacks hockey guts, imo.

He gives just enough to stay in the NHL... and not be demoted.

Trade him.

Or transplant Darche's heart into his body.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:12 PM
MXD

Okay, useful.

Should ideally not be on the Top-6 of any team wishing to succeed.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:19 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Floats in the D-Zone, but you probably already knew that.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
.5pt per game and a + player.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I'm happy with his play, and I'm fine with having him around for a few years. He adds size, lands a big check once in a while (not as often as I would like him to though), but clearly shows a lack of talent to be a consistent offensive threat, can play in the dirty areas but too often stays in the perimeter...

He plays on the PP and PK though not in the first wave of either. I know that some fans will start *****ing about him soon enough la Kostitsyn, but if you take him for what he is, offensive depth, he fills the role wonderfully.

EDIT - I figured I'd add this for those who put more weight into stats: I was expecting him to be at .5ppg or so, so production wise, he's been disappointing so far. I haven't looked it up, but I think he averages 15-16 mins per game. He's been tossed around the line-up but has played with Plekanec and Darche mostly.
Bourque coast thru some games, one of dumbest in league far as hockey sense goes. Chip in the odd goal, lays out a few good hits, decent penalty killer. He is 2nd line winger some games others he is 3rd line caliber. I've rather have him than Cammalleri though. Cammy circa 2012 that is not Cammy circa 2009. The numerous ankle and shoulder injures have reduced Cammalleri to 20-25 goal scorer. At 6 million cap hit that is way too much.

I like the trade. Plus we got a pick in a deep draft and freed up 3 million in cap space. Bourque is similar to Kostitsyn, and he is signed cheaper than we could sign AK for. Which lets us trade AK for a pick.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:32 PM
LeMAD

He's as useless as Kostitsyn, but we saved Cammalleri's salary in return.

Edit: I'm being a bit harsh. Cole wasn't good at the start of the season either. Bourque might also need the time to get used to his new team.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Bourque sucks, but habs fans still have to digest Tomas Kaberle being there so he's given some slack.

When Gomez and Kaberle are gone, I predict he will be the new whipping boy. And his contract is LOOONNNNGGGG.

Montreal has so much crap, it's hard to really see how bad it is.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

vCash: 50
Well, thanks a ton for the responses, Habs fans!

So basically from what I can tell form the glut of responses, he's basically been the same player as he was in Calgary, which is fine because it's more than what you were getting from Cammalleri night in night out. The pick and the cap space acquired was gravy.

Thanks again for the responses, guys. Good luck on the rest of the season.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:07 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Well, thanks a ton for the responses, Habs fans!

So basically from what I can tell form the glut of responses, he's basically been the same player as he was in Calgary, which is fine because it's more than what you were getting from Cammalleri night in night out. The pick and the cap space acquired was gravy.

Thanks again for the responses, guys. Good luck on the rest of the season.
that's pretty much it

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Just like others have said, he has been 'meh', sometimes you don't notice him, but for 3.3M that is fine. I think that the team will trade AK with how he has been used recently, and i think in a way Bourque is his replacement, play on the 3rd line and can set in a top 6 role if needed due to injury. Good thing tho is he plays on the top 2 units on the PK, so even tho he might not be producing some nights, atleast he contributes.
Wrong attitude.

He should make himself noticed every shift for that kind of money in this world.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote