HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2012, 07:26 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySchools View Post
Todd playing D boggles my mind. This guy has arguably been one of the most dangerous forwards in the league the last 2-3 years.
I like the guy and all but let's not get too crazy...he has 10 points in his last 29 conference games over the last two years...granted he has battled through injuries during a good chunk of that time.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:28 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I like the guy and all but let's not get too crazy...he has 10 points in his last 29 conference games over the last two years...granted he has battled through injuries during a good chunk of that time.
Sure, but in 23 playoff games (AUS and Nationals) spread over three seasons at UNB Daine Todd has 8 goals and 19 points. I believe that makes him a dangerous forward when it matters. 4 of those goals came in just 5 games played at the University Cup.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:37 PM
FreddtFoyle

Bryce Swan will NOT be playing in tonight's game against Carleton.

Colby Pridham MIGHT be playing tonight.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:42 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Bryce Swan will NOT be playing in tonight's game against Carleton.

Colby Pridham MIGHT be playing tonight.
Pridham was in the pre-game skate, so looks like he makes his V-Reds debut tonight.

UPDATE: Turns out Colby was just taking the pre-game skate and is NOT playing in this game.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 09-20-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old
09-20-2012, 05:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

It would be cool if UNB would try something like this...would be a great way to introduce a lot of first year students to the quality of hockey...might help create some new fans who otherwise wouldn't have paid much attention.

http://goravens.carleton.ca/mens-hoc...er-squad-game/

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 09-21-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old
09-20-2012, 08:20 PM
cishockeyfan

Not much to say about tonights game, carlton played pretty decent, UNB was pretty Flat and kinda looked uninterested till they were awaken with about 5 minutes to go in the second period.

UNB is certainly going to miss the speed of Wiebe and Bailey. Chad Denny has a Cannon of a shot, Desnoyier probably played the best Ive seen him play. Sadly for the first two periods Saluturo was probably UNB's Best Player before they turned it on a bit.

Game got chippy in a bit of a eruption late in the 3rd

Old
09-20-2012, 09:04 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Who were the goal scorers? Shots?

Old
09-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

UNB vs Carleton (W, 3-1)

Goal scores were MacNeil with two (both on the PP) and Braes I think (empty net).

Shots were something like 10-5, 19-17 ended 35-19 for UNB.

Score could have been 5-1 - two posts, 1 cross bar, ,1 disallowed goal and a lot of shots wide, missed or goofed.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:17 AM
gleanerguy

Forgot to ask MacDougall: Dion Campbell...anybody know what became of him?

Old
09-21-2012, 12:42 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Forgot to ask MacDougall: Dion Campbell...anybody know what became of him?
Focusing on academics this year I believe.

Old
09-21-2012, 06:37 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Focusing on academics this year I believe.
Yes, he got into the 11-month Education program and that's where his focus is now.

Old
09-21-2012, 06:40 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

So what time is the game on Sunday? On the UNB site is says 2PM but I have seen a couple people post 1PM...

Old
09-21-2012, 08:30 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
So what time is the game on Sunday? On the UNB site is says 2PM but I have seen a couple people post 1PM...
Good catch. I made the mistake in the game capsule last night, confusing the start time with women's soccer. Fixed now.

So on Sunday, women's soccer hosts UdeM at 1 pm. Men's hockey hosts UQTR at 2 pm. Men's soccer hosts UdeM at 3:15 pm.

Old
09-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
More suspensions handed out yesterday from team party. This fan is not happy. These guys will party but keep it under control. Kristos act has gotten really old. Hak should take his A away from him for the ENTIRE year.

Suspended for Anchorage:
Kristo
Knight
Mac
Rowney
O'Donnell

Suspended for Alaska:
Kristo
Gaarder
Panzarella
Pattyn

Old
09-22-2012, 09:48 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Wiebe

Anyone know of wiebe attending any camps in the AHL or ECHL?

Old
09-22-2012, 10:13 AM
FreddtFoyle

The Russians are coming!

Bill Hunt has a story in today's Gleaner about the V-Reds/City of Fredericton press conference coming up on Tuesday where it is expected that they will announce the (much rumoured) New Year's Eve game between UNB and a touring Russian junior team.

Old
09-23-2012, 06:11 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Wiebe
Anyone know of wiebe attending any camps in the AHL or ECHL?
It was reported to me by an UNB acquaintance, who has an inside to the team, that Wiebe did not do well academically in the 2nd semester and did not do the necessary work in the summer to correct the situation. So it is very likely that the hired gun will not be back.

Corcharane has family issues that were more important than hockey.

Old
09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Rob

I sure hope Pridham and Swan are in the lineup for McGill. The need some power in front of the net.

P.S - Anyone going to Montreal this weekend?

Old
09-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Rob

I just realized that Kidd wasn't in the lineup today. Any word?

Old
09-23-2012, 11:23 PM
cishockeyfan

Prob the usual with Kidd injured

Old
09-25-2012, 01:09 PM
FreddtFoyle

The Russians ARE coming!

Announced at press conference this morning, and posted on the V-Reds and AUS websites.

Varsity Reds Will Meet Russians in 40th Anniversary Showdown

The 8th annual Pete Kelly Cup challenge will be played against the Russian juniors from the MHL and the two games will be split between Harbour Station in Saint John (3:00 pm Dec. 30) and the Aitken University Centre (4:00 pm Dec. 31) in Fredericton. Kind of nice to see the V-Reds do something in Saint John, home of the university's second campus.

Probably as interesting, or more, than bringing in an NCAA team for the Pete Kelly.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Announced at press conference this morning, and posted on the V-Reds and AUS websites.

Varsity Reds Will Meet Russians in 40th Anniversary Showdown

The 8th annual Pete Kelly Cup challenge will be played against the Russian juniors from the MHL and the two games will be split between Harbour Station in Saint John (3:00 pm Dec. 30) and the Aitken University Centre (4:00 pm Dec. 31) in Fredericton. Kind of nice to see the V-Reds do something in Saint John, home of the university's second campus.

Probably as interesting, or more, than bringing in an NCAA team for the Pete Kelly.
I would definitely say more interesting as far as the majority of fans are concerned. I'm in the minority in that I would prefer an NCAA team but the attendance numbers spoke for itself.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Polaris500*

don't get me wrong I think if people come out to the game in SJ it would be great!
however i wouldn't be shocked if 90% of people in attendance are those who made the trip from freddy beach

Old
09-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

I too would have preferred an NCAA team, but the Russians will be an interesting test.

So - when does the term 'Big Red Machine' get used? or 'Reds vs REDS'?

Old
09-28-2012, 07:17 AM
FreddtFoyle

Bill Hunt has some insight on how the Russians-UNB series came together in the middle of his column in today's Gleaner (and you really should buy the paper on Thursdays and Fridays to read Bruce and Bill plus tee-ups for weekend AUS games):

Quote:
The upcoming UNB versus Russian Red Stars hockey series was a product of a little cross Borders shopping, if you will.

Scott MacPherson, the American-born, Toronto-raised, married to a Russian woman special consultant to Russian KHL president Alexander Medvedev, was casting about for games for the Russian Red Stars team, looking for teams to play on a third annual tour of North America. He got in touch with Maine Black Bears head coach Tim Whitehead. But since Whitehead had already booked his single out-of-conference NCAA exhibition game for the season -- against UNB ironically -- he pointed MacPherson north to UNB, and head coach Gardiner MacDougall.

The V-Reds had been casting about for a Christmas opponent when a scheduled NCAA opponent cancelled.

“Scotty was in California when I first called him,” recalled MacDougall. But the two coordinated their schedules to meet at the Borders book store in Portland, Me: MacDougall and Roger Shannon; former Fredericton Express player Mark Kumpel and MacPherson.

“And it mushroomed from there,” said MacDougall.

He and Shannon went to Omsk, Russia, last month for the world junior club championship tournament: Hockey Hall of Famer and Team Canada ‘72 icon Phil Esposito was also there along with several other dignitaries.

It’s a little naive to simply say: Presto! Canada versus Russia on New Year’s Eve at the Aitken Centre -- but the desire to get it done led to the Tuesday press conference.

Two games, one at Harbour Station, one here. Espo will be here. It’s not “good guys versus bad guys” any more; not “us versus them.” It’s simply a couple of pretty good hockey teams and what are likely to be a couple of outstanding hockey games.

“I know the Russian kids are super excited about coming and being part of these events,” he said. “They’re the 20 kids who don’t make the world junior team,” said MacPherson. “As you can imagine in a country of 130 million people, they’ve got at least 40 good hockey players. It’s a way of keeping the second 20 interested in the international game. A lot of the kids that we’ll see in New Brunswick will make up the world junior team the following year.”

Closed Thread