HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 02:24 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
I see Mikael Tam is the last remaining unsigned player still at Worcester's training camp.

EDIT: And he has just signed an AHL contract with them.
https://twitter.com/miktam52

Also, Darryl Boyce has signed a tryout contract with Hamilton of the AHL.
http://theahl.com/bulldogs-sign-boyce-to-tryout-p179527

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 10-06-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old
10-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Unb @ bc

Foyle and I will be doing livestats chat for this game - we will post a link later.

This game is also available as a Video Feed and/or GameTracker stats feed via BC Athletics website.

http://www.bceagles.com/allaccess/?media=339134

http://www.bceagles.com/gametracker/...&startschool=&

Old
10-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

UNB @ BC LiveBlog

For those of you who want to follow a UNB perspective of the game - here are two links to the same CoverItLive

http://www.vredshockey.com/liveblog.htm
or
CISBlog.ca (http://www.cisblog.ca/)

Old
10-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Rob

Boston College 6 UNB 0

Shots on goal 32-19 for the Eagles.

Strange watching UNB get dominated like that.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:16 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I know BC is a great team, obviously...probably by far the best team UNB will see all year, but I think this game showed that the V-Reds really need another solid defenceman, they were running around a lot in their own end. Although Wright didn't play.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 10-06-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old
10-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

UNB @ UMaine (Orono-Olfond Arena)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
For those of you who want to follow a UNB perspective of the game - here are two links to the same CoverItLive

http://www.vredshockey.com/liveblog.htm
or
CISBlog.ca (http://www.cisblog.ca/)
Same links for today's game at 4:00pm local.

Old
10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Anyone know when the Gleaner's AUS preview will be out? Friday?

Old
10-08-2012, 04:21 PM
gleanerguy

Friday it is. Hallihan's 21st annual. The bible.

Old
10-08-2012, 07:34 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Black Bears, V-Reds settle for tie
By Matt Soucy Published: 7th October 2012

Quote:
ORONO – The University of Maine men’s ice hockey team escaped Sunday afternoon with a 2-2 tie in an exhibition game against the University of New Brunswick before 3,458 at Alfond Arena.

It could have been loss as UNB appeared to score the game-winning goal as the game clock expired, but after conferring, the officials ruled the puck entered the net after time expired.

LINK>>>

Old
10-09-2012, 06:16 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Friday it is. Hallihan's 21st annual. The bible.
Will there be any way for us out-of-towners to view it online, without having to buy a subscription?

Old
10-09-2012, 09:44 AM
FreddtFoyle

Another coach with nice things to say about UNB

After the UNB-Maine game, as quoted at Vreds.ca

Quote:
Coach Whitehead had only good things to say about the Varisty Reds after the game. “I'm really impressed with the composure that UNB plays with. It's just great playing them. There's no garbage either. It's all clean. Everything is hard hitting but clean. Just a great rivalry I think we have growing now. Geographically it's a natural. The mutual respect among the coaching staffs really helps. Gardiner is just a fabulous coach, a great person, and I just have so much respect for him and his staff and what they've been able to do … Roger Shannon, the whole group. Their recruiting is exceptional.”
And they'll be back at the AUC before too long.

Quote:
“You know (Maine assistant coach) Dave Alexander is actually a UNB grad. We have a lot of connections. Most of us have family from the Maritimes, myself included on my Mom's side of the family. We'd love to keep this relationship going and hopefully every five years we can come up (to Fredericton). We went up a few years back and we're anxious to do it again.”

Old
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Rob

I remember reading that NCAA teams can go out of the country every four years. So Maine would be eligible to come to the AUC again next year?

Old
10-09-2012, 11:15 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I remember reading that NCAA teams can go out of the country every four years. So Maine would be eligible to come to the AUC again next year?
Not sure if it NCAA rule is every four years, or a four-year gap, but both Boston College and Maine coaches said they have to talk to Gardiner soon about coming back to the AUC. Whitehead made it sound like Maine was planning on every five years.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:09 AM
FreddtFoyle

Teaser from the Gleaner

You really should go out and buy the Gleaner today just to get Bruce Hallihan's annual AUS preview, but within the the context of "fair dealing" in Canadian copyright law, here's a snippet from his section on UNB ("Enemy Lines" are quotes from opposing coaches):

Quote:
Enemy Lines

“(Quebec Remparts standout) Mikael Tam (who signed with AHL Worcester) would help them, but they already have seven or eight defencemen there, so it’s not like they’re hurting.” … “If seven teams are in go-karts and one of them has a Porsche, the one with the Porsche shouldn’t keep driving it around the go-karts.” … “Based on the guys who help me recruit, Adrian Robertson was the top recruitable defenceman out there.” … “They play by their own set of rules.” … “There (are) a lot of horses in that stable.” … “It’s hard for rookies to get acclimatized to our league, so when you can bring in Pridham and Swan – proven impact players in our league – it’s certainly an advantage.” … “I think the press in Fredericton walk on eggshells with them. It just seems like there’s a shrine there that’s being protected.” … “Maybe we’re all jealous of them.” … “Cam Braes is an outstanding hockey player and the Robertson kid, arguably, could be the best over-age recruit in the country because of his size and ability. He’s very talented. He’s going to be one hell of a defenceman in this league.”

In A Nutshell

The V-Reds were expected to repeat as national champions last year, but fell short on home ice. They still have 17 hungry players returning, though, and by bringing in top-shelf ‘free agents’ in Pridham and Swan and top-end recruits in Robertson, Braes and Critchlow, they’ll be favoured to get to Saskatoon and to bring home the University Cup.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:14 AM
FreddtFoyle

Nick Murray (Brunsie and CHSR guy) is tweeting that Chris Culligan is indeed (surprise!, surprise!) the new captain for the V-Reds.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Game #1, UNB vs STU

I thought it was a good game overall last night. Sometimes brilliant and sometimes pedestrian. STU was faster than last year, but just too much time playing defense to leave any energy for an attack.

I thought the D was good - great passing and actually taking some shots from the point. Denny was amazing, way more dynamic than last year. I didn't expect that much improvement at this stage of the season. I think STU broke 4 sticks blocking his slap-shot.

Salituro played great in-place for Swan.

Tonight should be a better game - UdeM can't be happy with their loss on the island (Guay gave up 4 goals on 7 shots in the first period - Lemay was perfect for the remaining 40min). Shades of the Acadia game - Mosher gave up 5 goals on 13 shots in 33min with DiSalvo perfect for the remainder. Acadia also out shot X 43-14 (UNB/X playoffs in '10).

Old
10-13-2012, 08:07 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Reading Troy Ryan's quotes from Kilfoil's recap...he did not seem too pleased, to put it mildly.

"We won't win the hockey game if we don't play the structure. We don't have that type of talent. I don't know when they're going to get it through their thick heads that they're not that talented of a team."

Yikes.

On another note I see Doyle was up to his usual self last night...a 10 minute misconduct to Carroll, and a delay of game penalty for trying to clear the puck only for it to hit the scoreboard (if he was the ref who called it, either way, never seen that call before). I don;t know what he is going to do though without Harty around this year.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:46 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Unb

Why was Swan not in the lineup? Anything to do with the checking from behind major in Orono?
No question that UNB will be looking at bringing in a D- man to replace the loss of Tam to the AHL.
Kidd,Wright, Denny are prone to injury and it could get thin on the backend with any set back to these players.

Old
10-13-2012, 02:32 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Why was Swan not in the lineup? Anything to do with the checking from behind major in Orono?
Yup, apparently he got a one game suspension because of the hit.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:48 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I noticed Wiebe played for Connecticut (AHL) in their season opener last night, which pretty much ends any hope we will see him again (which was a long shot anyway IMO) as he would now have to sit out a full year before playing in the CIS.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Rob

By Vreds standards that was a big home loss. When was the last time they lost by three goals or more at home? I'm thinking SMU back in the '09 playoffs.

Old
10-14-2012, 01:00 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
By Vreds standards that was a big home loss. When was the last time they lost by three goals or more at home? I'm thinking SMU back in the '09 playoffs.
Yep..it was that SMU game...actually a quick search shows that that games was the last time before tonight they lost a home game by more than ONE goal...their last 8 home losses had all been by a goal, going 65-8-0 in that span.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Yep..it was that SMU game...actually a quick search shows that that games was the last time before tonight they lost a home game by more than ONE goal...their last 8 home losses had all been by a goal, going 65-8-0 in that span.
The previous biggest loss was in Jan. '07 when they lost 6-2 to SMU. Other than that 1 or 2 goals.

I agree they are missing a spark, but they weren't playing as a unit very well or getting shots to the net.

The biggest issue I see is they suck at face-offs. That's were they miss Baily and Clendenning - I think they won 10% of the draws yesterday which reduced there time-of-possession. This makes PK harder and more work on the PP. And since I brought it up - the PP was terrible at 0-8. They had two PPs after the Houde-Caron scored to make it 3-2 which could have tied it before the 3rd.

Credit to UdeM - they played a fast game and were hard on the puck and were tough at their blue-line.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:09 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB went 37-27 on face-offs against Moncton...

Old
10-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
UNB went 37-27 on face-offs against Moncton...
I think that's being generous - I'd like to see that stat inside the zone (remove the face-offs after goals and off-side). I didn't see Pridham win any key face-offs during the PK.

Closed Thread