HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2012, 05:22 PM
gleanerguy

vCash: 500
I suspect the V-Reds were caught reading their own press clippings against Moncton, for one thing. They didn't look hungry. No slight on Antoine Houde-Caron, but when he is the team's best forward among that cast of talent...that shouldn't be the case.
They missed Wright. They need that element of meanness that he brings. And I suspect they'll be looking for a little more grit to replace Todd on the back end...teams will be skating at him, pressuring him and playing through him at every opportunity. He'll either be hurried in to bad decisions with the puck or get hurt.
And you can bet that, whether it's because Gardiner MacDougall doesn't have many fans in the conference or whatever it is, teams come in a little hungrier to beat UNB and a little happier when they do. Happened to be leaving the rink as the Moncton bus pulled out Saturday night...they blared the horn as they pulled out as if it were a parade, not a win in Game 2 of the season. The V-Reds may win the league again, but I'm thinking they have bigger issues to figure out than defensive zone faceoffs.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:56 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
I suspect the V-Reds were caught reading their own press clippings against Moncton, for one thing. They didn't look hungry. No slight on Antoine Houde-Caron, but when he is the team's best forward among that cast of talent...that shouldn't be the case.
They missed Wright. They need that element of meanness that he brings. And I suspect they'll be looking for a little more grit to replace Todd on the back end...teams will be skating at him, pressuring him and playing through him at every opportunity. He'll either be hurried in to bad decisions with the puck or get hurt.
And you can bet that, whether it's because Gardiner MacDougall doesn't have many fans in the conference or whatever it is, teams come in a little hungrier to beat UNB and a little happier when they do. Happened to be leaving the rink as the Moncton bus pulled out Saturday night...they blared the horn as they pulled out as if it were a parade, not a win in Game 2 of the season. The V-Reds may win the league again, but I'm thinking they have bigger issues to figure out than defensive zone faceoffs.
Yeah... I'll have to apologize on that one. We usually have the bus driver give a toot or two as we leave after a road win, no big deal, but this time the driver was carrying on way over board even as we on the bus were telling him to stop... A little bit too much.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:23 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Unb

This is a different team, a team without hard nosed forecheckers such as Clendenning, Campbell,Bailey.
Those guys played with desperation, they were a force down low. They need to play with that same passion and intensity! I can't understand not using a Denny and Kidd on the PP? Heavy shots, big bodies, instead Desnoyer matched up with Todd. Who can shoot the puck harder?? Swan in front of the net, with the big shooters sounds better!

Old
10-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Yeah... I'll have to apologize on that one. We usually have the bus driver give a toot or two as we leave after a road win, no big deal, but this time the driver was carrying on way over board even as we on the bus were telling him to stop... A little bit too much.
How often do Moncton fans rent a bus to go to games?

Old
10-15-2012, 11:17 PM
gleanerguy

This was the team bus. And no big deal, I'm sure. A big win. Well deserved.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:59 AM
RED ARMY EAST

UdeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
This was the team bus. And no big deal, I'm sure. A big win. Well deserved.
Moncton looks to have improved from last years AUS runner up. The D is getting lots of compliments, but I think that they ( D) were exposed a bit by McGill in the University Cup and a speedy UNB team in the AUS playoffs. If they have improved the mobility on the backend, they will be tough. Lots of speed up front with Faille and Gaudet.
No big deal with the bus!

Old
10-16-2012, 08:32 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I noticed Wiebe played for Connecticut (AHL) in their season opener last night, which pretty much ends any hope we will see him again (which was a long shot anyway IMO) as he would now have to sit out a full year before playing in the CIS.
And he was released yesterday after only playing that one game....he was sent down to Greenville (ECHL).

Old
10-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Varsity Maniac
Rookie User

PP Coach?

Is it true that Coach Mac doesn't coach their power-play and that it is Coach Sparks instead?

Old
10-18-2012, 12:33 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Anyone know what Wright's status is?

Old
10-18-2012, 06:22 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsity Maniac View Post
Is it true that Coach Mac doesn't coach their power-play and that it is Coach Sparks instead?
Wouldn't surprise me in the least bit, many times you'll see assistant coaches in charge of special teams, even in the NHL. And I seem to have heard that out of UNB before too.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsity Maniac View Post
This is not an out of the ordinary thing. And it would make sense with Todd Sparks former offensive Talents, was a 100 point scorer in the QMJHL with Hull and Fired 29 Goals in 26 Games for UNB one season, before scoring 40+pts in only 60 something games in the AHL the following year.

Pretty sure their is a good chance you will see Sparky as the next Vreds Head Coach, unless of course Gardiner sticks around as long as Dave Adolf

Old
10-18-2012, 06:23 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Siege

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I noticed Wiebe played for Connecticut (AHL) in their season opener last night, which pretty much ends any hope we will see him again (which was a long shot anyway IMO) as he would now have to sit out a full year before playing in the CIS.
He has signed with Greenville of the ECHL, today.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:25 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
He has signed with Greenville of the ECHL, today.
Wiebe !

Old
10-19-2012, 02:31 AM
gleanerguy

If and when MacDougall leaves, Sparks will go with him. That's pretty much pre-ordained, I think. Not sure I'd want to be the guy who immediately follows behind MacDougall...you'd suffer by comparison, especially if the program were to take a down turn.

Old
10-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Game #3 - UNB vs SMU

I thought the team played well yesterday - did enough to win, but will have to be better overall as time goes on though. They can't play that way in January and win.

I was a bit scared during the last 5min of the 2nd period. I don't think the camera man moved the camera away from the UNB end. SMU was pretty close to scoring in the dieing seconds, but a great save by Lacosta.

The 3rd period was completely different - all UNB and they actually scored on the PP.

Tonight will be a good test.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Bob Stauffer

Will be a new #1

On the heels of losing last night in Saskatoon by a 2-1 score, the Alberta Golden Bears drop their third straight game coming up on the short end of 4-3 decision today in 'Toon Town.
Alberta started the season 11-0 but have only scored five goals in the last three games.
Today, the Huskies chased Alberta starter Real Cyr who have up four goals on 10 shots.
After out-shooting the Huskies 30-16 last night, and 34-20 today the Bears don't pick up a single point as Ryan Holfield was the difference maker this weekend.
If UNB wins tonight I will have them at #1 and the Huskies at #2.
With a 3-3 Conference record the Bears can be no higher than fifth.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Rob

I'm guessing Lacosta will get the start against Dal Saturday night.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Rob

Didn't see any of the game last night but it looks like they faced some adversity late in the third period. Three staright goals in 5min to get the two points.

Any word on Culligan?

Old
10-28-2012, 09:41 PM
FreddtFoyle

They dominated most of the play against Dal. The power play didn't do anything until the third, but Wendell Vye should get some credit in the Dal net.

UNB's sputtering power play is hurting them when opponents start fearlessly taking liberties with their key players. Culligan got slashed against Acadia (no call) and then had his helmet removed by a high stick from Dal (Kewin I believe). Swan got hit hard in the Acadia game and now has a hamstring issue. Not saying that hit was dirty, but it seems that other teams don't worry about taking runs at UNB players (from their perspective it is probably all about playing UNB tough, which I would do in their place).

UNB is also not helping their cause with all the penalties they're taking lately, especially those checking from behinds when they try to pick up the physical play.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:51 AM
cishockeyfan

Kinda feels like we rolled back to 2004 to 2006 when UNB was a really good team but Acadia and Moncton were Better

Old
11-01-2012, 06:03 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Swan

With X in town, does anyone know the status of Bryce Swan?

Old
11-01-2012, 11:59 PM
gleanerguy

Doubtful. But we've been misled before.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Rob

I really hope the team is successful in getting Doyle banned. Easily the worst official I have ever seen.

Last edited by Rob: 11-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Rob

Robertson and Kidd both out last night. Any update? Kidd is out a lot anyways so I am more concerned about Robertson.

Regardless I would be shocked if they don't pick up a Dman at Christmas. Maybe Tam?

Old
11-04-2012, 04:58 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I don't recall Roberston getting injured against X. It could be just a case of MacNeil coming back and UNB not wanting to take any of the other forwards out...maybe they thought they could get away with 5 defencemen. Although if that was the case there are other guys I would have sat before Robertson.

Closed Thread