HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 03:28 PM
radapex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I just got mine, to be on the safe side. If the past few years are any indication I would get them early. I know game 3 in 2009 against SMU sold out and game 5 against X in 2011 sold out well before game time (they had to turn a ton of people away, but they were giving free tickets to students, which probably isn't going to happen this year, and with march break it might not be quite as busy).

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
Alright. I'll just get mine online and print it off, it'll save me from having to run up during/after work tomorrow.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:30 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

However, knowing Fredericton, they still probably won't sell out this game.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:16 AM
RED ARMY EAST

is it going to be webcast?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Big Bad Jon

It will be an absolute shame if this game doesn't sell out. This is as big as hockey gets in Fredericton...a deciding game in the conference championship series. Assuming that UNB doesn't get nationals again, this could easily be the biggest game on home ice in over the next 5, 10, 20 years plus!

Old
03-07-2013, 12:09 PM
RED ARMY EAST

they will get nationals again, but they probably won't bid anytime soon.
Both nationals were a success!

Old
03-07-2013, 12:31 PM
cishockeyfan

Ive wondered here and there how the ease of technology has affected attendance in recent years, used to be webcast or TV broadcast were not the norm, webcast games where only here or there now they are every game and even back when webcast started the quality was terrible and you had to go through a pain in the @ss process to pay for it with your credit card.

Now its just too easy, Im willing to bet their is a couple of hundred fans that maybe used to go to certain games that are now content watching the free webcast at home with their own cheap food convenience of their bathroom and a case of beer that cost you less than 4 beers at the AUC

Old
03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
is it going to be webcast?
Yes - webcast, CHSR Radio and ROGERS tonight.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Yes - webcast, CHSR Radio and ROGERS tonight.
Although the RogersTV broadcast will be tape-delayed to start at 9:00 pm ...

Old
03-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Although the RogersTV broadcast will be tape-delayed to start at 9:00 pm ...
Great - so we can go home and watch UNB win again

Old
03-07-2013, 09:12 PM
rethinking

Great job by UNB! There were questions about losing 9 players including the top 3 D and about leadership. Those questions were put to rest all year long really but with a final exclamation mark tonight with the winning of the AUS Playoff Championship!

Old
03-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Big Bad Jon

Great win! Great crowd! Great way to put an exclamation mark on a great season at home....now go out there and bring us home a cup!

Old
03-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Rob

So UNB plays Saskatchewan on Thursday night?

edit: Or do they play the OUA winner?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
So UNB plays Saskatchewan on Thursday night?

edit: Or do they play the OUA winner?
Foyle believes that the host has the right to choose their starting night, but can't change their opponent. That would mean if USask selects Thursday, they should play UNB (#2 vs #6 with #6 as 'home' while #3 is 'off')

This also contends that if USask should select Friday, they would play the loser of the UNB/OUA game. As an example, in 2009 Lakehead (seed #6 as host) selected Friday as their starting day resulting in UNB(#4) playing Alberta (#1)

My assumption/contention is they will select Thursday and play the OUA team despite the requirement for the top seed to play on day 1. The only legitimate way around this is to have the OUA team seeded higher than UNB, but that would be hard given UNB's #1 and #2 rankings most of the season. (Lakehead tried this in 2009 - they made SMU #1 seed over Alberta, but Alberta protested and the pools were reordered with Alberta as #1 by the CIS prior to the pools being announced).

So, USask (I believe they have announced) will be playing on Thursday - the CIS tournament rules would dictate that they should be playing seed #2 (which is likely UNB) - we may not know for sure until next Monday (after the final rankings on Saturday and the tournament committee publishes the pools and games).

Old
03-08-2013, 07:57 AM
wolf13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Foyle believes that the host has the right to choose their starting night, but can't change their opponent. That would mean if USask selects Thursday, they should play UNB (#2 vs #6 with #6 as 'home' while #3 is 'off')

This also contends that if USask should select Friday, they would play the loser of the UNB/OUA game. As an example, in 2009 Lakehead (seed #6 as host) selected Friday as their starting day resulting in UNB(#4) playing Alberta (#1)

My assumption/contention is they will select Thursday and play the OUA team despite the requirement for the top seed to play on day 1. The only legitimate way around this is to have the OUA team seeded higher than UNB, but that would be hard given UNB's #1 and #2 rankings most of the season. (Lakehead tried this in 2009 - they made SMU #1 seed over Alberta, but Alberta protested and the pools were reordered with Alberta as #1 by the CIS prior to the pools being announced).

So, USask (I believe they have announced) will be playing on Thursday - the CIS tournament rules would dictate that they should be playing seed #2 (which is likely UNB) - we may not know for sure until next Monday (after the final rankings on Saturday and the tournament committee publishes the pools and games).
So how could they not play UNB on Thursday because we know UNB isn't going to get jumped by an OUA team after beating Saint Mary's? What possible justification could they use?

Old
03-08-2013, 08:55 AM
AUS Fan

On a slightly unrelated note, I thought the Stompin' Tom "tribute" last night was good, as was the recognition of Doc.......

Old
03-08-2013, 09:12 AM
FreddtFoyle

Saskatchewan will be hard pressed to avoid UNB if they want to play Thursday night.

As noted already, the top seeds in each pool open the tournament on Thursday and get to avoid playing three games in three days (as long as they win their Thursday game). That's their reward for being the top seed.

As AUS champion, UNB cannot be seeded lower than #3, and are expected to get the #2 seed based on the latest rankings (which of course could still change on Saturday, but unlikely), which would make them the highest seed in their pool.

The only host bonus is getting the option to start play on Thursday or Friday evening. They don't get to choose their opponent - the seeding committee takes care of that, and they have to respect the CIS regulations.

As Drummer pointed out, Lakehead tried to circumvent the regs in 2009, but it was in vain. The CIS regs trump the host team's wishes.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:23 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

The only thing that sucks about having Sask/UNB play on Thursday is that it will likely be the best game from that pool and won't be televised.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:19 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
The only thing that sucks about having Sask/UNB play on Thursday is that it will likely be the best game from that pool and won't be televised.
Same thing happened in 2009 with UNB-Alberta. And the V-Reds went on to win the University Cup ... on TV.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:12 AM
gleanerguy

Think they're good enough this year?

Old
03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Think they're good enough this year?
Their is absolutely no question in my mind regardless of injuries, that UNB is the best overall team at the University Cup and have an excellent chance to take it all but.....

In a tournament like this and in the game of hockey that means nothing as far as will they win it. Some of UNB's Strongest Teams have not won it all, 2003, 2008, 2010 and 2012. I also think the 1997 Team was better than the competition at the University Cup but they did not win.

I think the St Marys UNB Final just showed that yes UNB may be overall better, but the competition has gotten tighter SMU got some strong goaltending and play a smart game. It would not surprise me in the least bit to see St Mary's emerge from Albertas Pool and possibly win it all.

Last Years UNB-Western game is a perfect example of what can happen in a one game go home scenario, I still think UNB was by far the best team in the country last year, and if they had gotten by Western their was no way McGill would beat them but sh@t happens.

If the Best team won every year I believe than UNB would have been going for their 7th Straight University Cup title this year, but instead we have never won back to back yet

Old
03-08-2013, 12:18 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Good enough

Well in my opinion, #1 Alberta hasn't had to play against a team as good as SMU and UNB, this year.
They have had a weak exhibition schedule loaded with games vs ACAC competition and no NCAA games. On the other hand, they have also dominated their conference, especially the second half.
They have been the usual dominant Bears among the CanadaWest, but I don't think the CanadaWest is any stronger than it was a few years ago , when we saw Calgary here.
According to Stauffer, earlier this year, they have improved from the team that was led by the likes of Derrick Ryan Eric Hunter and Chad Klassen, who was coached by Eric Thurston. They ran into bad luck here in 2011, but came within a shot of winning it all against SMU in 2010.
As for SMU, they will need to find more offence. Shut out twice by UNB in the AUS finals, but have the ability to possibly win this tournament.
UNB is good enough to win, but the intensity must be peddle down for 60 minutes, with discipline.
They have to cut down on the penalty's, which could become a problem with their high octane play and Refs from outside the conference? Will they call everything?

Old
03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Any news on an appeal over the Chritchlow suspension?

Old
03-08-2013, 03:47 PM
cishockeyfan

i would highly suspect the Team will not appeal the decision, kinda hard for the League to change their thoughts on one single players second hit to the head suspension within just 2 different hockey playoff series and a week apart.

The only question is was it a deliberate hit to the head, according to everyone it was, I was sitting down on that end but up higher i thought the SMU player was hurt in the face from the other UNB player resulting from the kinda a sandwich hit, i didnt clue into Cameron leaving his feet

Old
03-08-2013, 03:51 PM
cishockeyfan

Its too bad because I have to admit at first i wasn't big on Cam Critchelow, didn't think he had enough skill to be a regular UNB Forward, but his play picked up as the year went on and he was playing good hockey

I have to add Most Improved Player should go to Marc Antoine Desnoyiers, I was one of those people who was basically on his hate wagon for his first two seasons, and I think I and others had good reasons for that. But this year hes been outstanding, a workhorse, offensively and huge improvements defensively. biggest changes is he's not giving the puck away and hes not getting the stupid penalties and losing his cool like he used to

Old
03-08-2013, 04:24 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
I have to add Most Improved Player should go to Marc Antoine Desnoyiers, I was one of those people who was basically on his hate wagon for his first two seasons, and I think I and others had good reasons for that. But this year hes been outstanding, a workhorse, offensively and huge improvements defensively. biggest changes is he's not giving the puck away and hes not getting the stupid penalties and losing his cool like he used to
I agree that this year has been by far his best...and overall he does seem more composed than he used to be be, but he still takes the odd bad penalty (the delay of game a few weeks ago when he flipped the puck in the stands with no one around him comes to mind) and he also seems to have the knack of taking a lot of ill-timed penalties (it seems like he has put UNB in more 3 on 5 situations than anyone else).

Closed Thread