HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Any news on an appeal over the Chritchlow suspension?
UNB did appeal the suspension, but I don't think there is much hope of getting it reduced, since Phil Currie made the original call, and I believe he's the same guy who deals with the appeals (if that makes any sense at all ...)

Old
03-08-2013, 03:40 PM
AUS Fan

If anyone from UNB needs a ticket package for Sask, I have one to sell.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:57 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Game#3 AUS Finals

By the way Trevor, there was a couple times that I saw a Huskie player leave his feet to finish a check, during last night's game #3.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:06 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I noticed there was quite a little shouting match between Gardiner and what looked like one of SMU's assistant coaches during the handshakes. When the teams lined up on their respective blue lines for the awards the SMU coach went over to Gardiner near the UNB bench and shook his hand and the two exchanged some words...anyone know what that may have been about?

Old
03-08-2013, 05:54 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
By the way Trevor, there was a couple times that I saw a Huskie player leave his feet to finish a check, during last night's game #3.
Send in the tape.......

Old
03-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Bob Stauffer

Re: Alberta

Probably saw the Bears 9-10 times this season.
Ian Herbers who was Head Coach of Nashville's farm team in Milwaukee last season has restored work ethic and commitment in the Bears program.
IMO Alberta had been sliding since the mid 2000's since Rob Daum departed for Houston in the AHL. Herbers has changed that.
The Bears don't have the elite top end offence of a Ryan or Klassen from 2011, but they are far deeper up front with three lines that can score.
The team has five D that can move the puck.
Kurtis Mucha will likely be the 1st Team All-Canadian in goal, he has taken a huge step forward this season. And he is looking for a little redemption after a subpar performance in Fredericton in 2011.
The Bears have won the last four University Cup's played in the West, but as we have all season the tournament has been very unpredictable.
UNB hasn't won with a couple of their better teams, and the same scenario occurred with the Bears in 2001 (when they were going for a three-peat) or in 2004 in Fredericton when Alberta was 39-0-2 before losing 6-5 in OT to the V-Reds.

Take care.

Bob Stauffer, Oilers Radio Network
In Nashville on a 9-game 17 day road trip

Old
03-09-2013, 02:41 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Its too bad because I have to admit at first i wasn't big on Cam Critchelow, didn't think he had enough skill to be a regular UNB Forward, but his play picked up as the year went on and he was playing good hockey

I have to add Most Improved Player should go to Marc Antoine Desnoyiers, I was one of those people who was basically on his hate wagon for his first two seasons, and I think I and others had good reasons for that. But this year hes been outstanding, a workhorse, offensively and huge improvements defensively. biggest changes is he's not giving the puck away and hes not getting the stupid penalties and losing his cool like he used to
From what I've heard, there is apparently some evidence out there showing that Critchlow didn't make contact to the head.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:46 PM
AUS Fan

Wow. Phil Currie suspended him based on no evidence. It's too bad Currie didn't hear what you've heard.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Nick Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
UNB did appeal the suspension, but I don't think there is much hope of getting it reduced, since Phil Currie made the original call, and I believe he's the same guy who deals with the appeals (if that makes any sense at all ...)
First time posting so I'll make it count.

The appeal was put through just after Midnight on Saturday night, but Phil Currie (according to him) will have no hand in the appeal process.

The appeal will be reviewed by a three-man committee headed by Halifax-based lawyer Ron MacDonald. Also on the committee is UdeM A.D. Marc Boudreau. A third person will be chosen by Boudreau to finalize the committee.

Link to the story: http://thebruns.ca/sports/online-exc...ow-suspension/

And "wrench throw" to Bruce Hallihan for letting me know this forum existed! I've been distracted for the past two hours trying to figure out how to activate my account!

Old
03-09-2013, 07:12 PM
AUS Fan

Hey Nick. Good to see you on here. Will see you in Sask on Wed....

Old
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Nick Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Hey Nick. Good to see you on here. Will see you in Sask on Wed....
Thanks! Be sure to come up to me as I have no idea who you are behind "AUS fan" haha. I don't want to be rude by not saying hello (that's my one Seinfeld reference for the day).

Anyway, anybody know how many CIS appearances UNB has made in the University Cup. Writing up my Bruns CIS preview and would like to plug that in.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:00 PM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
From what I've heard, there is apparently some evidence out there showing that Critchlow didn't make contact to the head.
Would like to have your ears. Video I saw showed head contact. Critchlow deserves some penalty. Five games, denying him an appearance in the national championship, seems harsh from a play on which there was no penalty call. That would be a pretty stinging indictment of that team of officials as well.
But...Phil Currie, ladies and gentlemen...

Old
03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Murray View Post
Anyway, anybody know how many CIS appearances UNB has made in the University Cup. Writing up my Bruns CIS preview and would like to plug that in.
By my count this would their 11th since it went to the 4 team or 6 team format (97/98/00/03/04/07/08/09/11/12/13).

They also made an appearance at the Eastern Canadian Regionals in 1983-84 when they were swept by Toronto in 2 games.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 03-10-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 12:35 PM
RED ARMY EAST

UNB Nationals

[QUOTE=Nick Murray;61366155]Thanks! Be sure to come up to me as I have no idea who you are behind "AUS fan" haha. I don't want to be rude by not saying hello (that's my one Seinfeld reference for the day).

Anyway, anybody know how many CIS appearances UNB has made in the University Cup. Writing up my Bruns CIS preview and would like to plug that in.[/QUOT

97-98 Toronto silver lost to Guelph
98-99 Saskatoon *gold beat Acadia
99-2000 Saskatoon silver lost 2ot Alberta
2003 Fredericton lost semi-UQTR
2004 Fredericton silver lost 2ot ST FX
2007 Moncton *gold beat Moncton 2ot
2008 Moncton silver lost Alberta
2009 Lakehead *gold beat Western
2011 Fredericton *gold beat McGill
2012 Fredericton lost Semis-Western

Something like this.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:02 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Would like to have your ears. Video I saw showed head contact. Critchlow deserves some penalty. Five games, denying him an appearance in the national championship, seems harsh from a play on which there was no penalty call. That would be a pretty stinging indictment of that team of officials as well.
But...Phil Currie, ladies and gentlemen...
I fully agree with your assessment of being harsh, but the bar was set with the Wilgosh suspension and missed call or not, it was a head shot and he did leave his feet. Maybe, just MAYBE, suspensions like these will make guys think for 1 second before they nail someone. And I mean ANY guys.....Every team has 1 or 2 Energy guys who play on the edge and sometimes cross the line.

The only thing I can see coming out of the appeal process is that Critchlow will be able to count an exhb game towards his suspension, should UNB go 2-and-out in Sask. Otherwise, the 5 game ban will stand.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

[QUOTE=RED ARMY EAST;61368701]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Murray View Post
Thanks! Be sure to come up to me as I have no idea who you are behind "AUS fan" haha. I don't want to be rude by not saying hello (that's my one Seinfeld reference for the day).

Anyway, anybody know how many CIS appearances UNB has made in the University Cup. Writing up my Bruns CIS preview and would like to plug that in.[/QUOT

1964 Kingston bronze Lost to UoA won over UoMontreal
1984 Fredericton lost to UoT (Eastern Canadian Regional)

1997 Toronto silver lost to Guelph
1998 Saskatoon *gold beat Acadia
2000 Saskatoon silver lost 2ot Alberta
2003 Fredericton lost semi-UQTR
2004 Fredericton silver lost 2ot ST FX
2007 Moncton *gold beat Moncton 2ot
2008 Moncton silver lost Alberta
2009 Lakehead *gold beat Western
2011 Fredericton *gold beat McGill
2012 Fredericton lost Semis-Western

Something like this.
They have 12 CIS/CIAU National Tournament appearances prior this tournament. They were in the 2nd tournament in 1964. The 1984 tournament has a pre-tournament in the East and West and count as 'National' appearances by the CIS.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Nick Murray

Flying out in 12 hours.

Be sure to listen in to our broadcasts at chsrfm.ca, and keep up with everything V-Reds on twitter using the hashtag #VRedsAtUCup (credit to Ken Critchley for coming up with that).

You can also follow me on Twitter at @NickMurray91.

Enjoy the tournament folks!

Old
03-14-2013, 09:39 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Chritchlow

The appeal is shot down. Not hard to see that the rest of the league is working against UNB. It starts with roster caps and a suspension that was basically called by Treor Steinberg. Stamped by a guy from Mt A. When was the last time that they had a men"s program? On a play that two refs didn't even make a call. Wallingford settLed down a bit this year in captains role, but played 4 years as a borderline goon.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:57 AM
WilcoxHound

CIS vs UNB, the conspiracy theory is reborn just in case they aren't successful in Saskatoon. Wait til they find out that the league has ordered the nets to change ends at the beginning of each period so that UNB always has to defend a bigger cage.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:12 AM
cishockeyfan

are opposing arenas like the Forum in halifax still gonna rotate the pegs between periods to make sure the good pegs stay in the Visitor teams net and the pegs that barely exists are always conveniently put in the home teams net too?

And yes Wallingford was a dirty goon, he did tone it done this year probably got a wooden spoon spanken after being awarded the "C"

Old
03-14-2013, 10:13 AM
gleanerguy

Agree, there's an awful lot of "Woe is Us" from UNB supporters on this board. But how they are continually ignored at awards table strains credibility of the awards. No first or second team all-Canadians? Really?
Not even token acknowledgement of how good team is with sportsmanship award nationally?
Goaltenders slighted, both first and second team at AUS level? Two five-year guys, one with best stats this season, the other with 20 shutouts over his career? And not even a sniff?
Something else: Executive director Phil Currie should have been in Fredericton for AUS hockey final/AUS women's basketball tourney. Game 3 of UNB/SMU was Thursday night. Could have represented AUS at women's basketball awards banquet then gone up the hill to present AUS hockey banner to the winner, and stuck around for women's hoop tourney to present banner to SMU Sunday. Nowhere to be found.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:18 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Agree, there's an awful lot of "Woe is Us" from UNB supporters on this board. But how they are continually ignored at awards table strains credibility of the awards. No first or second team all-Canadians? Really?
Not even token acknowledgement of how good team is with sportsmanship award nationally?
Goaltenders slighted, both first and second team at AUS level? Two five-year guys, one with best stats this season, the other with 20 shutouts over his career? And not even a sniff?
Something else: Executive director Phil Currie should have been in Fredericton for AUS hockey final/AUS women's basketball tourney. Game 3 of UNB/SMU was Thursday night. Could have represented AUS at women's basketball awards banquet then gone up the hill to present AUS hockey banner to the winner, and stuck around for women's hoop tourney to present banner to SMU Sunday. Nowhere to be found.

Agree with what your saying specially the goaltending. Unfortunately UNB's team is so deep, and the scoring spread around not too many stuck out on a national scale statistically this year. Best way to turn a blind eye to that is to simply hoist the University Cup up in the Air Sunday Night.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Playing on a stacked team (in a weaker conference arguably) hasn't hurt Alberta's goalies the last two years when it comes to the awards.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:44 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
CIS vs UNB, the conspiracy theory is reborn just in case they aren't successful in Saskatoon. Wait til they find out that the league has ordered the nets to change ends at the beginning of each period so that UNB always has to defend a bigger cage.
It was a sarcastic comment in regards to the AUS, not CIS.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Rob

If UNB makes it to the finals on Sunday at 8:30 I wouldn't mind watching somewhere. Since the game is on Sportsnet One are options might be limited. I'm not sure even the Social Club has it.

Closed Thread