HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 12:08 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
What???? "one is Wallingford!!!!!" I don't know how many games you've seen this year, but I would think that most on here would not consider Wally to be a huge loss for SMU.....
Well, he's "huge", but I agree, not among their most important d-men.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:19 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
They will need to find a goaltender to go along with Lavigne.
Mike Thomas is committed and it will be interesting to see if Kevin Gagne lands on the Hill, or will he choose the minor pro ranks?
Gagne just signed a contract within the last couple weeks I believe...Anaheim maybe?

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Carroll get a pro offer either.

I thought I remember seeing/reading something last year that Wright only intended on staying 4 years.

And remember, Todd is in his 4th year eligibility-wise but his 5th year of schooling. Same situation with Shutron, who is in his 3rd year of eligibility but his 4th year of school.

And we can't forget the head coach....I believe he is entering the final year of his contract this year.

With the roster cap I wonder if we will see more Lavigne/Thomas situations going forward where guys are basically red-shirting like they do in the US. Obviously the top players major junior recruits will be playing right away but I wonder if guys who have to sit out for a year (like Thomad and Lavigne) or the lesser major junior guys would start their schooling and practice with the team for a year with the understanding that they will be playing the following year. If any teams could convince guys to do that it could be pretty advantageous....having a guy who practiced with your team for a year to come in as a "rookie".

Old
03-19-2013, 02:06 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Gagne just signed a contract within the last couple weeks I believe...Anaheim maybe?

I thought I remember seeing/reading something last year that Wright only intended on staying 4 years.

And remember, Todd is in his 4th year eligibility-wise but his 5th year of schooling. Same situation with Shutron, who is in his 3rd year of eligibility but his 4th year of school.

And we can't forget the head coach....I believe he is entering the final year of his contract this year.

With the roster cap I wonder if we will see more Lavigne/Thomas situations going forward where guys are basically red-shirting like they do in the US. Obviously the top players major junior recruits will be playing right away but I wonder if guys who have to sit out for a year (like Thomad and Lavigne) or the lesser major junior guys would start their schooling and practice with the team for a year with the understanding that they will be playing the following year. If any teams could convince guys to do that it could be pretty advantageous....having a guy who practiced with your team for a year to come in as a "rookie".
You're correct... he did sign with the Ducks...

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=658976

Old
03-19-2013, 02:23 PM
wolf13

Quote:
What???? "one is Wallingford!!!!!" I don't know how many games you've seen this year, but I would think that most on here would not consider Wally to be a huge loss for SMU.....
So your team captain had no value what so ever? I find that really hard to believe.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:15 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
So your team captain had no value what so ever? I find that really hard to believe.
I find it really hard to believe that I'm even having a discussion with you......

Old
03-19-2013, 05:42 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Fillier is graduating in May so it seems unlikely he will be back...

http://www.ngnews.ca/Sports/2013-03-...tle-with-UNB/1

Old
03-19-2013, 06:38 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Wallingford

Quote:
I find it really hard to believe that I'm even having a discussion with you......
Wallingford not only offers a huge physical advantage, but he has developed into a smart hockey player, who can log a lot of minutes. Opposing forwards don't like playing against him, period. Will be missed by SMU, for sure.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Peg me as one guy who disliked Wallingford a lot. Played with an edge and sometimes took it to far like the time he motioned to Kyle Bailey that he was going to knock Bailey's teeth out and sure enough next shift he gave the lumber to Bailey's teeth.. That was the early Wallingford. Over the next 3 years I seen him mature into one of the better d-men in the AUS. Doesn't put up a ton of points but very reliable in his own end and logged a lot of minutes. Watching his play this year I gain the upmost respect for him. Not a great way to end a CIS career but like someone else said he could do very well playing minor pro.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Quote:

If there is a year to need a goalie this is the year. A good crop of goalies currently available especially in the WHL.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:40 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Imagine if Colby Pridham had stayed with SMU this year? I don't see UNB in 1st or the AUS champion let alone CIS Finalist - his face-off skills were absolutely needed plus the points he put up.
He was arguably their best, most consistent player all year. Funny, I remember at the time when the rumours about him and Swan coming here were circulating I preferred Swan over Pridham. Now don't get me wrong, Swan was a good addition no doubt, but they would have been effed without Pridham.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:23 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
He was arguably their best, most consistent player all year. Funny, I remember at the time when the rumours about him and Swan coming here were circulating I preferred Swan over Pridham. Now don't get me wrong, Swan was a good addition no doubt, but they would have been effed without Pridham.
He also had quite a read on the posts. I don't know if I've seen anyone hit as many posts in their UNB career as Pridham did this year lol

Old
03-20-2013, 07:41 AM
rethinking

As a UNB fan I have to say it's strange how some players and their play seem to get taken for granted. UNB has been extremely fortunate to have had a player that was very consistent not just for this season past but for several seasons averaging over a point a game while being a great penalty killer and defensive forward without any real fanfare.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:13 AM
FreddtFoyle

In my opinion the main reason UNB won the University Cup is because they have so many good players, that yes, often get taken for granted.

Opposing teams can't just focus on one player, or one line, or one defensive pairing, or one goaltender.

Because UNB plays such a team game, and the players play for each other, and have comparable skills, you don't have one or two players standing out dramatically from each other. This helps explain why so few UNB players picked up AUS honours, and no CIS honours (and the anti-Gardiner MacDougall thing too ...)

Tyler Carroll scored a bunch of goals. But would it have happened if Chris Culligan wasn't making plays for him? Everyone who played on Cully's right wing this season scored. You have similar factors on the other lines.

AUS and CIS stats don't track blocked shots, but Saskatchewan head coach Dave Adolph said after their game that they'd never played against a team that blocked as many shots with so many big bodies as UNB did in the third period of their game.

Without question UNB was the best team at this year's University Cup. Did they have the most stars? Does it matter? Results matter.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:42 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Swan

Quote:
I thought that Swan (4 years at X) played well in Saskatoon, provided some offence and played a physical role in all games at the U Cup. According to the Cape Breton Post, he lost both grandparents leading up to the AUS playoffs and Nationals.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
rethinking

Many people forget that UNB had a huge player turnover from last season including captain Kyle Bailey, Shayne Wiebe, Jordan Clendenning, Jeff Lee, Dion Campbell (1st half), Luke Gallant, Johnathan Harty, Bretton Stamler and Spencer Corcoran so the team's accomplishments this year are even more remarkable.
After losing their top 3 D from last year, UNB may have been even stronger this season on the back end with the team actually being 8 deep after Christmas. Desnoyers' improvement and the Daine Todd conversion were obviously huge factors in making that adjustment.
Freddy, you are also right about UNB being able to throw out very strong 3rd and 4th lines that were able to frustrate teams with their forechecking and cycling also and also contribute offensively. Some of those players were also regular penalty killers which by the way gave up only 2 goals in 15 shorthanded situations at Nationals.
It would be a bad omission not to mention our outstanding goaltending again this year that everyone outside the AUS seems to be able to recognize.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:50 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Wudrick

Former V-Red Geordie Wudrick is playing senior hockey for the Bentley Generals out of Alberta. Bentley to host 2013 Allan Cup. It won't be a surprise to see him suit up for a CanadaWest team this fall.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:35 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Composite schedule 2013-14

Anyone know if UNB will bring in an NCAA team next year. Can't see it happening at X-Mas due to the University games. They may just play local teams, as many players may be missing.
I assume both UNB and STU will make the usual trip south of the border in September?

Old
03-28-2013, 06:07 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Anyone know if UNB will bring in an NCAA team next year. Can't see it happening at X-Mas due to the University games. They may just play local teams, as many players may be missing.
I assume both UNB and STU will make the usual trip south of the border in September?
I was thinking about potential exhibition games awhile back. I think BC and Maine are both eligible to come back up here and both seemed to have an interest in doing it again after last time. BU would we fun as well. As for CIS teams my wishlist includes Alberta, Manitoba, Lakehead, and Western.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:37 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
I was thinking about potential exhibition games awhile back. I think BC and Maine are both eligible to come back up here and both seemed to have an interest in doing it again after last time. BU would we fun as well. As for CIS teams my wishlist includes Alberta, Manitoba, Lakehead, and Western.
If it was one of those CIS teams, they might be able to work a third game in with STU involved. Stay in the City, as opposed travelling down the road to face another AUS opponent.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:39 PM
FreddtFoyle

I spoke to Boston College head coach Jerry York back in September after the UNB-BC game. He said that BC will definitely be back to Fredericton again before too long. He also joked then about how UNB keeps winning the national championship on odd years and BC wins on even years ...

Maine will be back before too long as well. The tricky part is trying to work around NCAA schedules, and Maine tends to go to a Christmas tournament in Florida every year.

I know there are discussions about bringing in a top school from away after Christmas, but I don't know if it will come together for this coming season.

UNB definitely has an NCAA roadtrip this coming fall, but that announcement will come in due time when everything is worked out and Gardiner is ready to make it public. Of course, these things often leak out when NCAA teams start posting their schedules over the summer ...

Old
03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
The WUG games are from the Dec. 10th to the 21st, so everyone should be back home for Christmas. A set of games after Christmas aren't out of the question.

The NCAA Travel rule is 5 years, both BC & Maine were here in '08/'09 - I think the 5th year is this season and then they can return in '14/'15. Union was the previous season and could return this year (a #3 EAST REGIONAL NCAA/Sweet Sixteen team this year)

There is a NCAA trip planned for the Fall (a little farther away than in the past from what I hear), but as Foyle mentioned - it's not officially released until it has 100% commitment from all parties. (can't recall the exact season, but there was a road trip that got changed with a weeks notice when Lowell? double booked and UNB was forced to change opponents to UMass - I also recall a few road trips where the arena changed and/or the time changed - last year UNB had the UMaine game originally reported for 7:00 but Maine was saying 2:30 - they eventually setted on 4:00)

Last edited by Drummer: 03-29-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: fixed WUG dates
Old
03-29-2013, 09:26 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
The WUG games are from the Dec. 10th to the 21st, so everyone should be back home for Christmas. A set of games after Christmas aren't out of the question.

The NCAA Travel rule is 5 years, both BC & Maine were here in '08/'09 - I think the 5th year is this season and then they can return in '14/'15. Union was the previous season and could return this year (a #3 EAST REGIONAL NCAA/Sweet Sixteen team this year)

There is a NCAA trip planned for the Fall (a little farther away than in the past from what I hear), but as Foyle mentioned - it's not officially released until it has 100% commitment from all parties. (can't recall the exact season, but there was a road trip that got changed with a weeks notice when Lowell? double booked and UNB was forced to change opponents to UMass - I also recall a few road trips where the arena changed and/or the time changed - last year UNB had the UMaine game originally reported for 7:00 but Maine was saying 2:30 - they eventually setted on 4:00)
Norte Dame would be nice, they will be in the Hockey East league for the upcoming season. The CCHA had it's last championship game at Joe Louis Arena last week. It's a long trip for them, but travel will become the norm for them, as they are based out of Michigan and the rest of Hockey East is from Mass, N.H., Maine and Vermont.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Norte Dame would be nice, they will be in the Hockey East league for the upcoming season. The CCHA had it's last championship game at Joe Louis Arena last week. It's a long trip for them, but travel will become the norm for them, as they are based out of Michigan and the rest of Hockey East is from Mass, N.H., Maine and Vermont.
It could work well if UMaine, UNH or Boston were the next week - then they could roll down the road before going home.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
wolf13

Quote:
Notre Dame is in Indiana, not Michigan.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Nick Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
Notre Dame is in Indiana, not Michigan.
Hahahahaha, I guess he never watched Rudy.

Closed Thread