HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
I'm not too concerned about Kidd not being enrolled quite yet. When I was in school I would usually wait until the last minute to enroll. I don't think it is that uncommon.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isnt this the last year of MacDougall's 5 year contract extension? I wonder if there has been any talk yet about a new contract. After everything he has done I would have to think the ball is in his court with regards to him staying.
I thought so to until Foyle corrected me. He signed a 5-year deal in August 2009. That covers the 09-10 to 13-14 seasons, so he is here this year and next.

(link) MacDougall Signs Contract for 5-Years

As for options - if he notches another UCup and a Gold at WUG'12, he could go almost anywhere if he wants. His daughter would be in University by then I think so the nest is empty.

The only reason to stay would be to set a CIS coaching record - he is a bit behind the Total Wins (Conf+Playoff+UCup) leaders (who are all still active - except for Singer who is on sabbatical this year, Lapointe who left UQTR and Belleveau who moved to the GM spot).

Coach (Team) - Wins, Seasons (wins/year) - UCups
Dave Adolph (USask) - 384, 23 years (16.7/year) - 0
Graham Wise (Ryerson) - 344, 25 years (13.8/year) - 2
Clarke Singer (UWO) - 314, 13 years (24.2/year) - 1
Jacques Laporte (UQTR) - 307, 13 years (23.6/year) - 2
Gardiner MacDougall (UNB) - 280, 12 years (23.3/year) - 3
Pete Belliveau (DAL) - 278, 20 years (13.9/year) - 1
Trevor Stienburg (SMU) - 270, 15 years (18.0/year) - 1

Could this year be Adolph's chance to break the goose-egg (in his 10th trip). Gardiner has 7 appearances

Old
08-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
I'm not too concerned about Kidd not being enrolled quite yet. When I was in school I would usually wait until the last minute to enroll. I don't think it is that uncommon.
Bruins Fan that was the old days (me included) - today you register for your classes at the end of the previous semester. I guess you can always wait until September, but some classes could be full by then (especially true in Business). However, it's certainly not worrying about at this stage - we'll know in about two weeks.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:23 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

When does UNB start practicing....September 1st?

Old
08-29-2012, 07:11 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
When does UNB start practicing....September 1st?
"Winter" sports are allowed to start practicing the first day of classes - Thursday, Sept. 6.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:06 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Jeff Lee has signed with Rapid City of the CHL...

http://www.rapidcityrush.com/news/in...ad-more&id=682

Old
08-29-2012, 04:09 PM
FreddtFoyle

Russians are out

Looks like Gardiner was working a plan on UNB playing a Russian team that fell through. The CIS Top 10 committee received an e-mail from Steve Knowles today:
Quote:
After speaking with Gardiner MacDougall at UNB, would you please delete UNB's exhibition games on December 30-31, 2012 versus the Russian Red Stars from the 2012-13 CIS Men's Ice Hockey Composite Schedule. Thanks.

Steve Knowles

Old
08-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Red Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Looks like Gardiner was working a plan on UNB playing a Russian team that fell through. The CIS Top 10 committee received an e-mail from Steve Knowles today:
I came across that team while checking for Christmas opponents on USCHO. Here is a link that talks about their series vs NCAA teams.

Six Colleges to Host Russian Red Stars

The schedule didn't lend itself to visiting Fredericton so I dismissed it as an opportunity for UNB, but it would have been pretty cool if they had pulled it off.

Red Stars Schedule
Dec. 17: at North Dakota
Dec. 19: at Alexandria Blizzard (NAHL)
Dec. 21: at Bismarck Bobcats (NAHL)
Dec. 27: at Vermont
Dec. 28: at Yale
Dec. 30: at Northern Michigan
Jan. 3: at Notre Dame
Jan. 5: at UMass Lowell

Old
08-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Hope they have enough time to find a replacement for the Christmas break. I would love to see an NCAA team but they may have to settle for another CIS team.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:17 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Yea that kind of puts them in a bind...if it is a CIS team it would be nice to see a top CW or OUA West team (like Western or even Lakehead)...I am just hoping to see a top team from either of those two conferences or a team that either hasn't visited the AUC or played UNB in awhile.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 08-30-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old
08-30-2012, 12:18 AM
WilcoxHound

There should be enough out of work NHL players hanging around the Maritimes that time of year to put together a team to play the Reds.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:28 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB officially announced the game against the Pirates today...

http://varsityreds.ca/news/2012/8/31...831120828.aspx

Old
09-01-2012, 03:14 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

It won't really be an exhibition game, but more of a scrimmage. They are not selling tickets to the game and I'm not sure who for the Pirates will take part in the game. The location of the game has yet to be decided. It could be at the new UNE arena in Saco or Portland Ice Arena.

Old
09-01-2012, 07:13 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

What is everyone's prediction on who will be wearing letters this season? With Bailey/Gallant/Stamler/Clendenning gone there are lots of openings...I think Culligan is the only guy back who was an 'A' last season.

My predictions...Culligan as captain with Fillier/Shutron/maybe Wright or MacNeil or even Carroll.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
It won't really be an exhibition game, but more of a scrimmage. They are not selling tickets to the game and I'm not sure who for the Pirates will take part in the game. The location of the game has yet to be decided. It could be at the new UNE arena in Saco or Portland Ice Arena.
I believe last time they played at one of the smaller rinks in Portland.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:43 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
I heard today that UNB preferred it would be a "scrimmage". Therefore, whatever happens on the ice in Portland, stays in Portland (and those are my words, before anyone jumps to take them out of context ..).

In case anyone remembers those absurd calls that Harty received at UMaine that cost him suspensions when he got to Fredericton. And stuff sometimes happens when you plays pros who might be trying to get the coach to notice them.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 09-02-2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: my words
Old
09-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Bob Stauffer

RW and D

Hey gents

I dont think I can ever recall a time when once school had THREE former 40-goal scorers from Major Junior at Right Wing so UNB unquestionably are loaded there.
You will love Braes is a helluva player and probably the best recruit out of the WHL this year.
How is the D shaping up

Stauffer

Old
09-02-2012, 09:49 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
Hey gents

How is the D shaping up

Stauffer
It looks like they are going to try and get by with Wright/Kidd/Shutron/Desnoyers/Denny/Robertson/Corcoran....at least until Christmas, when it seems like most people assume Tam will be back after giving the ECHL a shot.

Personally I would like to see them add another guy what with the amount of time guys like Kidd and Wright have missed due to injuries since coming to UNB. There has been some talk about putting one of the current forwards back there though...they have had success with that in the past with Friesen/Aldred/Hepditch all making the transition rather smoothly.

Anything new on the Golden Bears front? Are they only bringing in Rachinski and Yadlowski this season? It didn't seem like they had too many spots to fill though...

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 09-02-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old
09-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Bob Stauffer

Re:Alberta

I am pretty sure the Bears are adding one more scoring forward out of the 'Dub. It will probably be announced Tuesday or Wednesday.
If any of you read the recent issue of Sports Illustrated there is a story on "The Process" with Alabama Football coach Nick Saban.
This is where UNB is at right now with Gardiner, and where the Bears WERE with Rob Daum from 1998-2005.

Old
09-03-2012, 11:33 AM
FreddtFoyle

Dion Campbell

I'm hearing that Dion Campbell wants to focus on academics this year, and won't suit up, similar to the case with Ryan Seymour a couple of years ago. Dion is in the 11-month Education program now, after graduating back in the spring (Kin?).

Like others I'm hearing that Shayne Wiebe decided over the summer not to come back. Big loss.

Old
09-03-2012, 11:53 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
I'm hearing that Dion Campbell wants to focus on academics this year, and won't suit up, similar to the case with Ryan Seymour a couple of years ago. Dion is in the 11-month Education program now, after graduating back in the spring (Kin?).

Like others I'm hearing that Shayne Wiebe decided over the summer not to come back. Big loss.
I wonder if Campbell would still be willing to play if they really needed him in case injuries strike...ala Steve Pearce a few years ago or even Matt Davis last season.

Certainly sucks about Wiebe as I thought he could have been a top scorer in the league....it's not too often you see UNB lose a guy before at least their 4th year. I wonder if his off-ice incident before Nationals last year played any part in not coming back...or if we will see him surface with another team next year.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Even with Swan and Pridham rumoured to be playing this season the loss of Campbell/Wiebe means UNB has lost 9 players from last year (also Bailey/Clendenning/Lee/Lynes/Stamler/Harty/Gallant) while only bringing in 5 (Braes/Critchlow/Robertson/Swan/Pridham)...seems strange to think they would go with such a smaller roster this year (14 F, 7 D, 2 G by my calculations).

Old
09-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Even with Swan and Pridham rumoured to be playing this season the loss of Campbell/Wiebe means UNB has lost 9 players from last year (also Bailey/Clendenning/Lee/Lynes/Stamler/Harty/Gallant) while only bringing in 5 (Braes/Critchlow/Robertson/Swan/Pridham)...seems strange to think they would go with such a smaller roster this year (14 F, 7 D, 2 G by my calculations).
I don't imagine they 'want' a short bench, but sometimes your own success can be your downfall. I've seen some players go to ACD, SFX, and OUA teams that I thought would fit in well at UNB, but having to wait or sit in the stands maybe a turn-off and they go a different route.

The tough part for Campbell is the in-class teaching component in the 2nd half. You're working at school until 3:30-4:00 each day which is when practice is on. I'd like to see him find a way - especially with Nationals in Saskatoon.

As for Weibe, if he's left,- that's his choice. I don't like rent-a-players, but such is life. He almost can't return to CIS if he does play pro at this point. With the pending lockout - there is a lot of talent in the A that will push down to the E and the C leagues - staying in school might be a better play (maybe he didn't go to class or got poor marks and can't return?)

As for my observation: looks like this might be a run-and-gun out score the opponent season and a hold-the-fort on D and Goal, but the bottom line will be "stay healthy".

Old
09-03-2012, 07:12 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
I don't imagine they 'want' a short bench, but sometimes your own success can be your downfall. I've seen some players go to ACD, SFX, and OUA teams that I thought would fit in well at UNB, but having to wait or sit in the stands maybe a turn-off and they go a different route.

The tough part for Campbell is the in-class teaching component in the 2nd half. You're working at school until 3:30-4:00 each day which is when practice is on. I'd like to see him find a way - especially with Nationals in Saskatoon.

As for Weibe, if he's left,- that's his choice. I don't like rent-a-players, but such is life. He almost can't return to CIS if he does play pro at this point. With the pending lockout - there is a lot of talent in the A that will push down to the E and the C leagues - staying in school might be a better play (maybe he didn't go to class or got poor marks and can't return?)

As for my observation: looks like this might be a run-and-gun out score the opponent season and a hold-the-fort on D and Goal, but the bottom line will be "stay healthy".
Look guys, you might as well get use to it now that UNB has less players, as next year the teams will have roster limits. UNB has benefited from (I'll not say it to avoid war) "things" that has help them over recruit in the past. The limit will bring them in line with other teams. Injuries are a part of the game and most teams don't have two extra lines to draw from. UNB was hurt last year but it hardly "hurt" them at all.

Question is, are the roster limits for the entire CIS or just AUS. I have heard conflicting stories. Some yes, some no.

The CIS on a whole is or was the only league around that didn't have RLs, so it's about time. I'm sure the big schools don't like it but it is a salary cap for our league that will help promote parity. IMO

Old
09-03-2012, 07:48 PM
cishockeyfan

unless he registered for school and than changed his mind, Wiebe was listed as a Student for this Semester as recently as Last week.

As for the incident last year, Theirs two parts to it, i don't really agree being downtown a mere few days before nationals was a great Idea for Wiebe or any other players that went out, but also their was no rule stating don't go out the weekend before nationals (im sure that will change). the other side was its not like Wiebe was hammered and started a fight, Their was a confrontation on him and a female companion where the Female got shoved. Wiebe took the guy out with barely any effort and by chance freakishly rolled his ankle on a Curb. Having said that if true and Wiebe is already done it would be a huge loss, Culligan, Wiebe and Carroll were on Fire at the end of the season. Weibe would be a guarenteed 20+Goal and 40+ Point man. Braes would fill in his Shoes on the Right Side on the Number one line just fine though. If healthy the whole year and he has no injury history Braes will top 40 Pts in his Rookie Season

u havent heard the last of UNB Recruits or at least faces you don't know are theyre yet they're is 1 more name you have not heard and potentially another if a certain guy does not make a AHL Team

Closed Thread