HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2012, 07:29 PM
cishockeyfan

vCash: 500
I kinda wonder what Trevor steinburgh and brad peddles reactions were to swan and pridham also wonder what the churping between their former teams will be like in game action

Old
09-11-2012, 11:57 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Is Wiebe at UNB taking classes? Maybe he wants to focus on his academics?? If he isn't then I can't imagine him joining the team, unless it is at Christmas, otherwise I would think he would be too far behind on school. Although Bailey came back to do his MBA a month late last year.

Old
09-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Weibe wasn't there - he still could show up late. They left the door open - it's up to him.:
He is looking into a pro option. If he doesn't get a good offer, he'll return. Not sure UNB needs him with the depth they have though.

If he plays one regular season game - he's not eligible for the entire year. Every game after that resets the 365 days of rest rule. Not to mention he loses a year of eligibility at the back end for playing pro as a 22 year-old - so, it's a double hit (you have to sit out a year and you lose a year).

A tough year to return to pro with a potential lockout and all 2-way contract players relegated to the A pushing 3-5 guys down to the E which pushes guys down to the C.

Old
09-12-2012, 08:29 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
He is looking into a pro option. If he doesn't get a good offer, he'll return. Not sure UNB needs him with the depth they have though.

If he plays one regular season game - he's not eligible for the entire year. Every game after that resets the 365 days of rest rule. Not to mention he loses a year of eligibility at the back end for playing pro as a 22 year-old - so, it's a double hit (you have to sit out a year and you lose a year).

A tough year to return to pro with a potential lockout and all 2-way contract players relegated to the A pushing 3-5 guys down to the E which pushes guys down to the C.
Not to mention he would lose his CHL scholarship as well, wouldn't he? I don't know why but he always kind of struck me as a hockey-first kind of guy, ala Kevin Henderson. Not that there is anything wrong with that mind you.

Old
09-12-2012, 08:30 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Not sure UNB needs him with the depth they have though.
Like starting pitching in baseball....you can never have too much.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Who are the surefire guys "in" and "out" to this point for UNB? I assume Wiebe would fall under "undecided".

Old
09-12-2012, 10:06 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

As far as I know this is how it breaks down compared to last season:

Out - Bailey, Clendenning, Lee, Stamler, Harty, Gallant, Campbell, Wiebe (as of now)

In - Critchlow, Roberston, Braes, Swan, Pridham

Anyone know what is going on with Lynes? I am pretty sure he is back in town...is he going to attempt to play this season, or is he going to be helping behind the bench again?

Old
09-12-2012, 10:10 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
I kinda wonder what Trevor steinburgh and brad peddles reactions were to swan and pridham also wonder what the churping between their former teams will be like in game action
Prids told Stieny this summer he wanted to move on. Swan can't get into a post grad program at X because of low marks. ( I won't even ask how he gets into one at UNB). So, both coaches knew they were leaving.

As far as chirrping goes, if the player was well liked it will be in good fun. Otherwise, it may be a bit different.

When Dave MacDonald went to Dal, the guys would chirp him on the ice and then they would meet and chat after the game. They still hung out a bit off ice. But, Dave was well liked by the guys.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Anyone know what is going on with Lynes? I am pretty sure he is back in town...is he going to attempt to play this season, or is he going to be helping behind the bench again?
I saw him at my son's 3-on-3 match on Tuesday. I got the impression from Todd that he'll be helping behind the bench this season.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I saw him at my son's 3-on-3 match on Tuesday. I got the impression from Todd that he'll be helping behind the bench this season.
Was it due to a concussion last year?

Old
09-13-2012, 12:51 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Was it due to a concussion last year?
Luke Lynes had at least two concussions last year, and he shut 'er down for the season after the last concussion. Concussions ended Taylor Procyshen's competitive career and may also have for Lynes.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:59 PM
STUTOMMIES

I think you Squirrels will have a good read here. Enjoy.

http://thebruns.ca/sports/leadership...e-locker-room/

Old
09-17-2012, 05:56 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Apparently Corcoran isn't back this season...

http://www.journalpioneer.com/Sports...-hockey-team/1

Old
09-17-2012, 07:47 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

I noticed that AHL camps don't open until the 28th...any chance Tam plays with UNB until then (if he is indeed at school), much like Wright did before he left?

Actually, now that I think about it, that probably wouldn't even be allowed since he has already signed a contract, which Wright hadn't at the time IIRC (I think his was just a try-out and he got offered a contract afterwards).

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 09-17-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old
09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Rob

Quote:
Apparently Corcoran isn't back this season...

http://www.journalpioneer.com/Sports...-hockey-team/1

Old
09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

You usually don't see UNB lose guys before at least their 4th year and that is the second guy this offseason who has left before then, along with Wiebe.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:11 PM
rantfather

UdeM 6 - UNB 2.

Quote:
You usually don't see UNB lose guys before at least their 4th year and that is the second guy this offseason who has left before then, along with Wiebe.

This.must be a misprint!

I DO NOT believe this score.

AN INVESTIGATION needs to be launched.

UNB,the class of the AUS losing?

According to posters they are to be automatic for the Nationals,I guess this is why the games are PLAYED.

I am predicting a very competitive season from EVERYBODY in the AUS and one exhibition loss means almost nothing.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:43 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Anyone know if either of this weekend's games will be web-cast?

Old
09-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
The games are actually Thu and Sun. Not sure. Wouldn't count on it.

Old
09-19-2012, 04:17 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Hopefully there will be some way to watch/listen to the games....being out of town for the first home games of the season is lame.

Old
09-19-2012, 04:56 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Thursday's game WILL be webcast. Don't know about Sunday.

Old
09-19-2012, 05:15 PM
cishockeyfan

While I feel offensively despite Wiebes decision to not return we will be just as good as ever, I think their are some major major question marks on Defense. Ill take it Player by Player

Adrian Robertson - From what ive heard we are getting a player in the nature of Brett Stamler here, and thats a good thing, but none the less he is a rookie and with all rookies depends how he adjust to the league.

Mark Antoine Desnoyier - While he has good puck moving skills and a good shot, thats were it ends for me, He is a defensive liability, he gives up the puck a lot on erant passes and has a knack for taking bad penalties and crying about them after.

Ben Wright - A great Overall defenseman, while not fancy he's old school consistent, the issue with Ben is How many Games will he play, History Suggest he will miss 1/3 of the schedule with a injury.

Ben Shutron - While looking like he was going to become perhaps the best overall Defenseman in the CIS his Rookie year, his huge injury in the preseason his second year stalled that dream. He made a fast recovery but the thing is what happen last year? Was Shutron hurt with a new injury, hurting from his previous injury, in the coaches doghouse and just never given the chance to get back in the groove?

Josh Kidd - I love Josh's style his size and his big shot, but he seems to play a game and miss a game play 2 games and miss 2 games, injuries or stamina are a constant issue, on hockey database seems like a long time since Kidd has played in at least 80% of a teams games.

Chad Denny - again the injury issue, he spent to much of the season on the DL, to know if he's a star, subpar or wont crack the lineup, has his wrist injury fully healed? as he was not in the pre season opener.

Daine Todd - he will move the puck no doubt and do it well, he will score some points from Defense as well, but how will his defense be? How will his shoulders hold up?

mentioning Bryce Swan as being capable of playing D by Gardiner makes me think the Coach has reason to believe they may have to use Swan back there, when is the Last Time Swan played D? as a 2 time AUS 20 Goal Scorer and a power forward I find this odd

Injuries are definitely the biggest concern for the D this season, keeping those guys in the lineup who have missed alot of games over the past couple of years, next concern is some of the players defensive play or experience back their.

Old
09-19-2012, 05:29 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post

Daine Todd - How will his shoulders hold up?
This is by far my biggest concern with him being back there...I am going to hold my breath every time he has to go to retrieve a puck in the corner with a big forward barreling down on him.

As for Swan playing D...I would imagine that would only be a worst case type of scenario...at the very least it is nice to know they do have someone who has some experience back there if absolutely need be. Hopefully it doesn't come to that point.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Rob

I wonder if they have any potential players on campus who could play D on an emergency basis? I am thinking about the goaltending situation last year and how they had Davis come in.

Old
09-20-2012, 07:18 AM
HockeySchools

Quote:
This is by far my biggest concern with him being back there...I am going to hold my breath every time he has to go to retrieve a puck in the corner with a big forward barreling down on him.

As for Swan playing D...I would imagine that would only be a worst case type of scenario...at the very least it is nice to know they do have someone who has some experience back there if absolutely need be. Hopefully it doesn't come to that point.
I've watched Swan all the way back from his Jr. A year in Amherst, all the way through. I've never seen him play the point, or even heard about him playing the point. Even on the PP. Swan is a skilled goal scorer. His skating is his weakness. Do they really want that on the backend?

Todd playing D boggles my mind. This guy has arguably been one of the most dangerous forwards in the league the last 2-3 years. Putting him on D makes no sense to me, but we'll see if it works out.

Closed Thread