HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[TB/COL/DET] Downie to COL, Quincey to DET, DET's 2012 1st & Sebastien Piche to TB

Old
02-21-2012, 05:15 PM
The Yzerplan
Not enough goalies

vCash: 500
Please no Fasth

I say give Helenius a chance.

The Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:16 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Just gotta believe he's got something in mind that's going to turn him back into SFY with all these picks. Looking forward to the return of the Jedi Master.
I hope he realizes the history that Kubina has, the chemistry that Downie provides, and the playmaking that Moore added.

It certainly seems like he's gutting this team so far. Next will be Lecavalier. And STAMKOS!!

dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
The difference between playoff contenders and cup contenders is essentially depth. Do you have enough scoring, can you roll four lines, do you have four defenders prepared to go 28 a night, and do you have a goaltender that can ride about .915 or better.

In the grand scheme of scoring, we have great numbers - it should balance a bit with more third line scoring, but scoring is good. Our blueline needs help. We need puck movers, we need mobile but defensively solid defenders. We very, very obviously need a goaltender. People are scoffing at picks, sure, but I wonder what they say if all of a sudden a second is flipped for Suters rights and Connolly and a pick are flipped for Schneider and both are signed. Suddenly you feel pretty ****ing good about next season. Snag another defender or two for around 3 million. Grab some lower line depth for cheap.

Then you start wondering why you didn't do it sooner.
Exactly. It's just a question of how it's executed. We definitely have the proper amount of "cash" (i.e. picks) now.

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Yzlamic Extremist

vCash: 629
I wonder how much the Kubina negotiations had to do with the Quincey trade. Detroit obviously wanted a defenseman, and it seems like they were one of the only teams willing to offer a 1st, Yzerman couldn't get it for Kubina so he made an arrangement to get Quincey and swing him to Detroit.

Yzlamic Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quincey seems to be more of a contingency plan for them.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
The difference between playoff contenders and cup contenders is essentially depth. Do you have enough scoring, can you roll four lines, do you have four defenders prepared to go 28 a night, and do you have a goaltender that can ride about .915 or better.

In the grand scheme of scoring, we have great numbers - it should balance a bit with more third line scoring, but scoring is good. Our blueline needs help. We need puck movers, we need mobile but defensively solid defenders. We very, very obviously need a goaltender. People are scoffing at picks, sure, but I wonder what they say if all of a sudden a second is flipped for Suters rights and Connolly and a pick are flipped for Schneider and both are signed. Suddenly you feel pretty ****ing good about next season. Snag another defender or two for around 3 million. Grab some lower line depth for cheap.

Agree. I'm looking forward to seeing it through. Hang on Bolts fans, this isn't the end here.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
So guys, how much can we expect, offense wise assuming Downie clicks with Stastny?

Good luck on the rebuild too!
Idiotic and untimely penalties. Discrimination from referees (Maybe they'll stop hating him since he's a Wing now). Enjoy playing a man short.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
One thing that would have scared me off with Quincey and helps me accept the trade is Quincey has a cap hit of 3.125M and is arbitration eligible so he should be getting a raise on top of that. Not sure I would have wanted to commit the money he is going to get this Summer.

02-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
Idiotic and untimely penalties. Discrimination from referees (Maybe they'll stop hating him since he's a Wing now). Enjoy playing a man short.
Colorado Red Wings

Downie on Detroit would make Wes McCauley's head asplode.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Oh, and surprise, surprise. Another French Canadian.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
As much as I love Downie this is true and the worst things about him. I won't miss those penalties, that's for sure. We can find somebody with Downies grit and that guy can be a smarter player too.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:30 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

What are you guys, the Habs? Collecting all the French.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
As much as I love Downie this is true and the worst things about him. I won't miss those penalties, that's for sure. We can find somebody with Downies grit and that guy can be a smarter player too.

Found one, but looks like he's taking a nap.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:31 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Some Twitter stuff:

Quote:
Damian Cristodero @LightningTimes
Lightning's Stamkos on trade of best-friend Downie: "Emotions are high right now but you have to find a way to refocus. It's tough."

Erik Erlendsson @erlendssontrib
For those in panic mode do you really think the GM doesn't have a plan? He's playing a chess game right now and looking 3 moves ahead

Jon Jordan @JonJordan
Stockpiling picks is fabulous but such a huge unknown. I will, however, applaud the stones on #TBLightning GM. Must think he can get his guy

LeBrun and Burnside on the trade(s):
Quote:
LeBrun: As for the Lightning, they’ve got a bevy of draft picks now and my sense is that they can use some of those picks to make a play for a goaltender, whether that’s before Monday’s deadline or more likely in the offseason.

Burnside: One thing about the accelerated success of the Tampa Bay Lightning last season is that it likely kept Yzerman from making moves he otherwise might have, given his new position of GM. I think that is what you’re seeing now with the trading of Dominic Moore and Pavel Kubina last week and this move on Tuesday. It wasn’t so much that Yzerman wasn’t enamored with Downie. Downie has shown he has the chops to play with the big boys, such as Martin St. Louis and Steven Stamkos (with whom he is exceedingly tight), but still has the power to annoy opponents. But Downie has arbitration rights as a restricted free agent and so did Quincey. These moves give Yzerman significant flexibility moving forward, as he has a number of holes to fill in his lineup, most notably finding a No. 1 goaltender.

LeBrun: I would think Cory Schneider of the Vancouver Canucks, Jonathan Bernier of the Los Angeles Kings or Ben Bishop of the St. Louis Blues would all be on Tampa’s wish list for a goalie, among others. Schneider isn’t moving before the deadline, however, so he would have to wait until the summer.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ings-make-deal

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post

Found one, but looks like he's taking a nap.
Sleepskating. Happens to me all the time.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:36 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Colorado Red Wings

Downie on Detroit would make Wes McCauley's head asplode.
Oops. Still won't miss those 10 minute penalties. Will miss his personality and his take-no-**** attitude.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
ultra63

Interesting that the Bolts traded the 3 players who had the most penalty minutes

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Some Twitter stuff:

Quote:
Erik Erlendsson @erlendssontrib
For those in panic mode do you really think the GM doesn't have a plan? He's playing a chess game right now and looking 3 moves ahead
Our GM is Deep Blue.
Quote:
Quote:
Jon Jordan @JonJordan
Stockpiling picks is fabulous but such a huge unknown. I will, however, applaud the stones on #TBLightning GM. Must think he can get his guy
Or if he can't get his guy, he can get his second guy, and/or his third, fourth, fifth, sixth, etc. guy(s)

Old
02-21-2012, 05:41 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
Interesting that the Bolts traded the 3 players who had the most penalty minutes
Next is Stamkos! Then Lecavalier!

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/stats....112012&srt=pim

Old
02-21-2012, 05:47 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Old
02-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

This is ****ing stupid.

Downie is worth a lot more than a 1st round pick that is bound to be in the 20's range and a ****ing ECHLer. ****, KRIS VERSTEEG fetched a 1st and a 3rd. Is Yzerman still a little too close to Detroit or something?

Downie is my 2nd favorite player on this team, yes but it just doesn't make sense. Where the hell is our grit now? Malone who is fragile as glass and should be handled with care? Ohlund is done. Kubina is gone. Brewer is something, but he's basically all we have for physical play now. I just don't get this. Downie is a player you keep and make a part of your core, not ****ing sell off for a draft pick that you hope in the future will be put to good use.

The thing I dislike MOST about this deal is that we're probably raiding Norfolk now just so we can fill roster spots up here on the big club. Makes no sense to screw with the Ads and the season they're having.

Starting to second guess SFY. And I don't like doing so.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

stevie y helps ruin the logo and unis and now trades downie?
He can frig off.
I dont forsee this trade being something that works out in the long run, guess we will see.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
MrMcGz

Wow. Just got off work and saw this! Holding on with faith that SFY gets a goalie and Suters rights.

What if Downie goes to arbitration refuses salary from COL and we resign him in the offseason. Is this possible?

MrMcGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:

That's all hypotheticals. No guarantee to happen. And then what? You have a bunch of stockpiled picks in an average draft.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:18 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Whoa wtf. I really hate this trade and don't agree with it at all. I'm almost always supportive of SFY and love the moves he makes, but this one....wtf.

Downie is worth much more than this. I've loved Downie since he was traded here. There's not a lot of players in the league who can do what he does. I really dislike this trade. I'm in shock right now. We get a very valuable pick no doubt, but after assembling 4 2nd rounders, was this really necessary to ship Downie off? There's another big hole now. After his season scoring 20+ goals and 200 PIM with Marty and Stammer, and what he did in the playoffs, I was so confident he'd be around here for a long time as a key piece to a team that wanted to make the playoffs each each. Downie was so instrumental to the success and transformation of the bolts the past few years. Hard right now.