HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Trade Deadline

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
HiddenInLight

vCash: 500
All these deals are starting to make me a bit antsy to see what the sabres are doing.....

Old
02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He's a fast player who is a pretty solid defensive contributor on a reasonable deal though, all things the Sabres could use. The downfall is likely his size, given the collection of Smurfs the Sabres still have up front.
Small, soft, and doesn't have a great postseason record.

I don't see where he's the type of guy that most people feel the Sabres need outside of being a guy that plays center.

Getting him to add center depth would have been an OK move. I just don't see him as the PERFECT guy for what the Sabres need, is all.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:50 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'm utterly convinced Darcy was in a no-win situation here:

Doesn't get Vermette: "What is Darcy doing? He should have been in on it. Doesn't he know we need centers?"

Gets Vermette: "What is Darcy doing? We need to be SELLING, not BUYING. Waste of draft picks."

Old
02-22-2012, 01:50 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
All these deals are starting to make me a bit antsy to see what the sabres are doing.....
I'm getting the feeling that you'll be waiting a while.

I'm waiting for Regier to have a PC similar to the one that he had when he kept Zhitnik.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:51 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

Doesn't get Vermette: "What is Darcy doing? He should have been in on it. Doesn't he know we need centers?"

Gets Vermette: "What is Darcy doing? We need to be SELLING, not BUYING. Waste of draft picks."
I don't think so since Vermette is signed well beyond this year.

Everyone realizes that this team needs more centers for 2012-13.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I don't think so since Vermette is signed well beyond this year.

Everyone realizes that this team needs more centers for 2012-13.
Ask yourself if that will really stop the anti-Regier armada on here from criticizing it.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:57 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Ask yourself if that will really stop the anti-Regier armada on here from criticizing it.
Who cares about people that would criticize Regier if he landed Getzlaf for MAG & a 4th?

Old
02-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

I don't see where he's the type of guy that most people feel the Sabres need outside of being a guy that plays center.

Getting him to add center depth would have been an OK move. I just don't see him as the PERFECT guy for what the Sabres need, is all.
Right now, is having Adam, Ennis, and McCormick as your 2-4 centers next year really going to get this team anywhere? There isn't a single PERFECT solution. They need more than one body in the middle and it would be preferable if the guy could skate since this is becoming a slow, plodding team.

02-22-2012, 02:15 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:

This.

First and foremost, until we shed some contracts, we couldn't fit vermette under our current cap. Part of the reason he went for so cheap is because Columbus is quite literally bleeding money at this point. To purge themselves of that contract over the next two years and get something in return is a win for them.

Vermette never was the answer for us. Maybe if we were a playoff bound team and we felt we could make it work, OK. But for a team that is looking to purge overpaid secondary players, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to trade draft picks to add another.

It would have been a lateral move....at best.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:22 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
I just want Regier out of Buffalo, so bad...

Old
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Yep. I'm fairly disappointed they weren't in on that. They have a pair of seconds to make roster additions, why not fill that big of a hole on the cheap? Heck, if they find other pivots, the contract Vermette is on is damned easy to swing somewhere since it's so damned affordable.
This is what leads me to believe Regier is in on something bigger. With the extra 2nd, I can't imagine Regier passing on 2+ years of Vermette for nothing more than a 2nd + 4th + throwaway.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:31 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Right now, is having Adam, Ennis, and McCormick as your 2-4 centers next year really going to get this team anywhere? There isn't a single PERFECT solution. They need more than one body in the middle and it would be preferable if the guy could skate since this is becoming a slow, plodding team.
The post that I originally replied to called Vermette "perfect" for the Sabres.

That was what I had a problem with.

Would adding them make them better at center moving forward? Sure.

But, I wouldn't call him the perfect guy for the Sabres to add.

Personally, I'd rather have a guy like Brian Boyle as a bottom 6 center addition and then get a guy like Ribeiro to try and address the need for a top 6 guy.

There are a few C UFAs-to-be-in-2013 that are intriguing.....

Old
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
This.

First and foremost, until we shed some contracts, we couldn't fit vermette under our current cap. Part of the reason he went for so cheap is because Columbus is quite literally bleeding money at this point. To purge themselves of that contract over the next two years and get something in return is a win for them.

Vermette never was the answer for us. Maybe if we were a playoff bound team and we felt we could make it work, OK. But for a team that is looking to purge overpaid secondary players, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to trade draft picks to add another.

It would have been a lateral move....at best.
I do see Vermette being a big upgrade over Boyes if you want to take the glass half full POV.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:51 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

Quote:
I do see Vermette being a big upgrade over Boyes if you want to take the glass half full POV.
Of course he is. But Boyes salary coming off the cap is immediately being replaced by Myers extension.

I don't want 1 1st line forward and 5 2nd line fowards like we've had

Old
02-22-2012, 03:20 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Eichel welcome 2 BUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why would Stevie Y do that when he knew he had a 1st waiting for him if he flipped Quincey to Detroit?
35+48 overall (approx) >#27-30 overall.

The difference between our 2nd and DET 1sts would be no more then 10 picks, cgys 2nd is worth more then that.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
He's a fast player who is a pretty solid defensive contributor on a reasonable deal though, all things the Sabres could use. The downfall is likely his size, given the collection of Smurfs the Sabres still have up front.
when did 6'1 200 lbs become small?

Old
02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Yep. I'm fairly disappointed they weren't in on that. They have a pair of seconds to make roster additions, why not fill that big of a hole on the cheap? Heck, if they find other pivots, the contract Vermette is on is damned easy to swing somewhere since it's so damned affordable.
this is the GM who gave up a 2nd for Brad ****ing Boyes... and Raffi ****ing Torres. players we didn't need, who filled no need...

Old
02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388555

The Canes re-signed Tuomo Ruutu to the tune of 4 yrs $19M, so he's off the market.....

Old
02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

that's fair.

the fact is, we dont know the direction. and until we do (may not be til the draft), we are going to be critical of missing out on ANY move (whether it's the retool move like Vermette, or the rebuild move that sees some other team get a haul for their rebuilding process like Carter)

Old
02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
35+48 overall (approx) >#27-30 overall.

The difference between our 2nd and DET 1sts would be no more then 10 picks, cgys 2nd is worth more then that.
That's certainly your opinion, but it's arguable. You're also assuming that Detroit is making the conference finals at the very least. If Detroit doesn't win its division (possible, STL is five points back with two games in hand) and doesn't make the conference finals, that pick will be in the low-20s.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:41 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

The canes are becoming the prime example of paying to keep a rotten core together.

Staal, Gleason, Pitkanen, Ward, and now Ruutu.

I really hope Pegula see the error of Carolina's ways and decide to do things better.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

I don't get all the Darcy hate, to be honest.... Shackled by a terrible owner and front office for most of his career. Finally has the chains taken off, and immediately rips off Calgary, then trade for and signs a great top 4 defenseman, and adds a top 6 forward (Though Leino was a bad contract, not letting Darcy off the hook for that).

He did what you guys asked...

I honestly think if we landed Getzlaf you guys would find something to complain about. It's disgusting.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
For me, Regier gets one shot with the reins off and while he's aware there's a problem. If he can't fix the team with few limitations, there's no reason to keep him.
______

I'd have a hard time getting up for trading one of the few pieces of the core that actually is doing something and showing his potential.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:41 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
The canes are becoming the prime example of paying to keep a rotten core together.

Staal, Gleason, Pitkanen, Ward, and now Ruutu.

I really hope Pegula see the error of Carolina's ways and decide to do things better.
At least that core has a Cup to tout.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:48 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
At least that core has a Cup to tout.
Staal and Ward do. The other three don't.

Closed Thread