HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Needs to Happen?

Old
02-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Nose of Sutter

vCash: 500
What Needs to Happen?

I am at a loss right now as to what is going on. How do we go from projected cup contenders to out of a playoff spot and unable to score anything? So I ask what needs to happen? Fire DL and replace Sutter? (At the end of the year) Strip Brown of the C? Make a big time trade? Dare I say blow it up again and rebuild with a new coach and GM?

Nose of Sutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:13 AM
kingscourt26

Partial rebuild. Keep the D, blow up the core, trade Brown and give a real leader the C, new GM and a coach with success in the "new NHL".

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:14 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Personally I wouldn't expect any major changes until DL is fired in the offseason. Biggest thing we might see is a JJ for JVR type deal if it's available. Every team needs scoring and other GMs know they can bend Dean over because we suck so bad.

Fail for Nail?

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:21 AM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

I think they need a major shakeup.

Trading young assets for a big name player is what contenders do to put them over the top. The Kings simply aren't at that stage right now.

However, the Kings shouldn't be sellers either. They're still in the hunt and trading guys for picks is pointless.

They need a trade like the Blues and Avs did last year. A shakeup. That's the only way.

goosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:30 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

We need to be sellers and tank for the highest pick we can get. Then see what the new GM can do.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:36 AM
SFKingshomer

We need more from our extremely young core. Its time for Brown, Kopi, Doughty, and JJ to step up. We wont improve until our best players play like our best players.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:41 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Revolution. The monarchy must go, replaced by a network of autonomous, anarcho-syndicalist communes.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:41 AM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
We need more from our extremely young core. Its time for Brown, Kopi, Doughty, and JJ to step up. We wont improve until our best players play like our best players.
How much can Kopitar do from the halfboards?

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:42 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
The time for them to step up has been here for years now. Doughty aside, how much better do you think they're going to get?

Old
02-19-2012, 12:43 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post
I am at a loss right now as to what is going on. How do we go from projected cup contenders to out of a playoff spot and unable to score anything? So I ask what needs to happen? Fire DL and replace Sutter? (At the end of the year) Strip Brown of the C? Make a big time trade? Dare I say blow it up again and rebuild with a new coach and GM?
Did you create this thread just so you can again bring up your hope that Brown loses the C?

I mean, you already said pretty much the exact same stuff in the GDT. I don't understand why a new thread was created for this.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

If we had one more goal per game, we'd probably be 3rd in the conference and then everyone would be saying how scary it would be to get us in the playoffs. Our team seems built for playoff hockey except for the scoring 0 goals thing.

We just need to tune our offense, re-juggle the lines. We'll need more than one player at the top and use those guys to push down some top six players into the bottom six. We have a good 4th line, we have the goaltending, we have the defense and we're strong down the middle.

We still have the same problem as before with a lack of left wingers and 3rd line center.

- R

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:45 AM
HeadInjury

12 of our last 14 losses have been by 1 goal. The other two were by 2 goals.

We're a very competitive team that just can't score goals. It's just reached a ludicrous level now.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:46 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Richards?

Anyways, the team obviously needs a coaching/stylistic/philosophical change first and foremost. Not saying the players aren't to blame, but you can't trade the whole team. The grind it out, prevent defense, dump & chase style has worn out its welcome; the players have lost faith in it.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:46 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
The time for them to step up has been here for years now. Doughty aside, how much better do you think they're going to get?
Well something this year has the entire team playing below what they're capable of. Dustin Brown has had 33 and 28 goal years. He's on pace for 18 this year. Richards, on pace for 23 (same as his injury year last year) but in the two years prior to that he scored over 30. Kopitar, we all know what this guy's capable of, but he's on pace for 24 goals.

So, I'll be satisfied with the players just playing like we know they can. If they had been, we're sitting comfortably in the playoff picture even without any additional development on their part.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Did you create this thread just so you can again bring up your hope that Brown loses the C?

I mean, you already said pretty much the exact same stuff in the GDT. I don't understand why a new thread was created for this.
No, I'm just throwing suggestions out there and that would be one of them. And I'm not exactly hoping Brown loses the C, it just may be necessary moving foreword. What have you seen lately during this struggle that Brown has showed he can lead through rough patches and bring us to a cup? Brown is a good player and competitor I'm just not sure he is cut out for the C anymore, maybe if you take that from him he goes back to his old style, alot of hitting and scoring.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:50 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Well something this year has the entire team playing below what they're capable of. Dustin Brown has had 33 and 28 goal years. He's on pace for 18 this year. Richards, on pace for 23 (same as his injury year last year) but in the two years prior to that he scored over 30. Kopitar, we all know what this guy's capable of, but he's on pace for 24 goals.

So, I'll be satisfied with the players just playing like we know they can. If they had been, we're sitting comfortably in the playoff picture even without any additional development on their part.
This is why I have come to the conclusion that the team is mentally broken, and not merely stifled by the system. These guys scored alright before under the same system, so it's not like it can't be done. To me, they look like a team that has ZERO confidence. They have lost the drive to win, because they don't think they can win.

Plus--and I never thought I'd say this about Smyth--I think we're REALLY missing Smyth, Handzus, and Simmonds. Those were three guys who played well down low and who went to the net. Without them, the Kings just play offense from the perimeter.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:52 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
No, I'm just throwing suggestions out there and that would be one of them. And I'm not exactly hoping Brown loses the C, it just may be necessary moving foreword. What have you seen lately during this struggle that Brown has showed he can lead through rough patches and bring us to a cup? Brown is a good player and competitor I'm just not sure he is cut out for the C anymore, maybe if you take that from him he goes back to his old style, alot of hitting and scoring.
I'm guessing that you don't fully understand what being a captain means.

There is a lot of off-ice stuff where Brown excels at leading. There are plenty of veterans on this team to place on-ice blame on one player.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:52 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
So who should we give the C to instead, who has shown during our recent struggles that they can "lead through rough patches and bring us to a cup"? And, why would getting a glittery purple C sewn onto their jersey suddenly change the way they approach their game or their teammates?

Old
02-19-2012, 12:53 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
This is why I have come to the conclusion that the team is mentally broken, and not merely stifled by the system. These guys scored alright before under the same system, so it's not like it can't be done. To me, they look like a team that has ZERO confidence. They have lost the drive to win, because they don't think they can win.

Plus--and I never thought I'd say this about Smyth--I think we're REALLY missing Smyth, Handzus, and Simmonds. Those were three guys who played well down low and who went to the net. Without them, the Kings just play offense from the perimeter.
SOOOOOOOOOOO many people wanted Zues and Symth gone....

Well be careful what you wish for.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I'm guessing that you don't fully understand what being a captain means.

There is a lot of off-ice stuff where Brown excels at leading. There are plenty of veterans on this team to place on-ice blame on one player.
I know he is off ice and in the community, but if that doesn't translate on ice then whats the point? I think he is more cut out for an A than the C.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:55 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
So who should we give the C to instead, who has shown during our recent struggles that they can "lead through rough patches and bring us to a cup"? And, why would getting a glittery purple C sewn onto their jersey suddenly change the way they approach their game or their teammates?
I know right ,

Like that letter means anything to anyone, but the fans/management, and the freakin guy wearing it.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:56 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
I know he is off ice and in the community, but if that doesn't translate on ice then whats the point? I think he is more cut out for an A than the C.
The letters don't mean anything. The locker room has plenty of guys willing to say something.

Old
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
SOOOOOOOOOOO many people wanted Zues and Symth gone....

Well be careful what you wish for.
Absolutely. I thought it was the right move at the time to let Handzus go, and I was glad to see Smyth gone. And now I'm sad.

Old
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
You're missing the point. Whether it is a C or an A, or even a team leader with neither (Richards, Stoll, Scuderi, Mitchell), this team has PLENTY of on-ice leadership.

Their on-ice failures are not the result of the Captain.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:59 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

We need to sell our soon to be UFA's for picks and offensive prospects, because we are NOT making the playoffs. After the season DL MUST be fired. In the offseason, we must begin to address the problem on wing.

As a bonus, Lombardi should take over as GM of the Ducks

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote